• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Unhappy Thread

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
You had a point to make? lol.
"There is ALWAYS someone worse off than you. Even you and your housing situation. Doesn't mean it's wrong of people to complain. I think Merk should be more positive myself but I'm not gonna nag at him for posting too much in here.

Should you stop being a drama queen about facing homelessness because there are millions of diseased and starving people in third world countries?

Since you need me to hold your hand on this, my point is that you have no right to nag at Merkuri because you think his problems are insignificant. YOUR problems are insignificant to millions of people, yet you are entitled to post on the internet about being homeless instead of selling your laptop and getting a job. That's the entire point of this thread.

No matter how mundane your problem is, POST IT. No matter how insignificant you think someone else's woes are, DON'T FLAME THEM. Simple as that. And also, cut it out with the pointless snarkiness.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Yeah seriously, sometimes after blowdrying my hair it comes out at an odd angle and it makes me unhappy, because I find vanity delicious.

Insignificant but lol whatcha gonna do about it babycakes?

Mr.Freeman

Smash Ace
Yeah seriously, sometimes after blowdrying my hair it comes out at an odd angle and it makes me unhappy, because I find vanity delicious.

Insignificant but lol whatcha gonna do about it babycakes?
My hair is messy in general.

I guess I should stop complaining since certain people (not naming anyone) might get mad. I just hope they learn that at the wrong place at the wrong time they should just, well....shut their ****ing mouths and keep their complaints to themselves.

(kind of half-joking here but seriously)

Merkuri

Smash Lord
Because I screwed up with scheduling I had to miss my therapist appointment this week. I need that Therapy.

\/aarsivius

Smash Cadet
I'm un-happy because of many things.

Got dumped, only 1 Brawl friend, time goes too ****ing fast, Snake, just about everything.

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
I'm having some difficulty in my Philosophy class, idk if anyone ever heard of Brains in a Vat by Hilary Putnam. But thats what we had to read. I kind of understand it but some things are difficult to understand. And since its still early in the semester I feel like its a sign that I might not do well in the course.

VodkaHaze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VodkaHaze58
I'm having some difficulty in my Philosophy class, idk if anyone ever heard of Brains in a Vat by Hilary Putnam. But thats what we had to read. I kind of understand it but some things are difficult to understand. And since its still early in the semester I feel like its a sign that I might not do well in the course.
Philosophy is a very easy subject once you get your head wrapped round it. Brain in a Vat sounds like a position Descartes would have taken. Basically, the argument is is that there is no way to know that you are(n't) a Brain in a Vat, the only to find out is prior knowledge, but if you had prior knowledge, why find out? You can look up "Epistemology" and "Cogito Ergo Sum" on Youtube for more help.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I disagree that philosophy is easy. Maybe fields like applied ethics are, but fields such as metaphysics aren't easy.

I actually think the brain in the vat can be disproven to be honest.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Philosophy is arguably the hardest subject matter.

The easiest class, yea. Thank Jesus.

But omg some of that stuff...

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I've been told that metaphysics is supposed to be the hardest subject you can do in any course, not sure if it really tops quantum mechanics and neurosciences, and other things like that personally, but apparently it does.

It's interesting when you have law and med students saying they find philosophy to be harder.

TheDekuNut

Smash Journeyman
i can't get my wii hacked. i don't know the right way to get it to run gc backups. ive been making my own textures for texture hacked melee for months but i cant actually play a copy of it. annoyed

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
i can't get my wii hacked. i don't know the right way to get it to run gc backups. ive been making my own textures for texture hacked melee for months but i cant actually play a copy of it. annoyed
Be careful here guys. This is as about as specific as one can be when talking about wii hacks. Just in case someone was thinking of responding to this.

Merkuri

Smash Lord
Anyone kind enough to give me some advice

So I should I tell my professor I no longer want to the independent study I've signed for with her since I've found an independent study that I am actually interested with someone else, keeping in mind that she has been very accommodating to me and she went through a bit of a hassle to get me signed? Also we're pass the class registration date so i may need to get permission to sign up for an independent study, and the some of the faculty my frown upon me for abandoning my professor like this. Not sure what to do here :(

MASAHIROx

Smash Lord
OMG I NEED TO VENT

I just experienced the wost traffic jam/day ever.

It started when I went over to my friends house to chill cuz i haven't seen any of them in a long time. They weren't even happy to see me. They just talked amongst themselves and asked me some random questions but it was just weird and sad they really didn't give a **** to see me or not. These used to be my boys and they just talked about how much fun they had the night before which i wasn't there so i couldn't say anything. It was awkward. This pissed me off and put me in a bad mood.

I'm going to school and work at the same time right now and I'm on opposite schedules from them and they live together. So I basically don't exist right now. They some bums too all they do is smoke weed and drink 'just chilling' and thats not my style right now because I'm saving up for my own place so we all can chill somewhere. Thats what i hate i i know they will want to chill once i have my own spot but now they just ignore me. fake *** *****es. need to find some people that actually enjoy my company and like to see me... =( real friends. that **** hurt.

THEN the day before i picked up a shift from a coworker of mine not knowing that a snow storm was on the way in and i was not gonna make any money off it because i work in a steakhouse. It took me 5 hours to get to work. usually takes me 30 mins. The traffic was everywhere. every road. stop dead because of the thunder and lightning snow storm. My phone died an hour into this traffic so i just gutted it out. When i finally got to work, they just laughed at me and told me to go home. It took me 3 hours to get home

8 hour commute for nothing when i could have avoided the thing. FML
AND I HAD TO PEE THE WHOLE TIME AND HAD NO BOTTLE TO GO IN!

very bad day.

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
Anyone kind enough to give me some advice

So I should I tell my professor I no longer want to the independent study I've signed for with her since I've found an independent study that I am actually interested with someone else, keeping in mind that she has been very accommodating to me and she went through a bit of a hassle to get me signed? Also we're pass the class registration date so i may need to get permission to sign up for an independent study, and the some of the faculty my frown upon me for abandoning my professor like this. Not sure what to do here :(
If you don't want the professors to frown upon you, just do the study. Its just one study after all, its not like the study is going to determine your career.

Merkuri

Smash Lord
Why not just change your subject of study with the professor you've already committed to?
Not an option. For this type of independent study you do whatever the professor assigns you to do.

If you don't want the professors to frown upon you, just do the study. Its just one study after all, its not like the study is going to determine your career.
You're right in that doing the study is probably the safer option. But this is my final semester and I'm taking mostly general education requirements, so I think it would be useful if I took at least one more course relating to what I want to do with my life.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Yes I will.
Well, the way I see it, you have two options:

a) Do your original study with the person who pretty much bent over backward (from the sound of it) to help you out. You'll certainly be able to use faculty as a reference. You may not like it, but hey, it's school, we all have to do things we don't like.

b) Switch to the study you want to do. Not saying that this will happen, but you may alienate the person who tried to help you, people who you may want to use as references for the future may not look as kindly upon something like that, etc. You'd probably look pretty wishy-washy in my opinion. But you get to do the study you want.

Also, how long is this independent study? Would it be worth it in the long run to do something that may or may not affect your future chances? How opposed are you to doing the former study?

Merkuri

Smash Lord
Well, the way I see it, you have two options:

a) Do your original study with the person who pretty much bent over backward (from the sound of it) to help you out. You'll certainly be able to use faculty as a reference. You may not like it, but hey, it's school, we all have to do things we don't like.

b) Switch to the study you want to do. Not saying that this will happen, but you may alienate the person who tried to help you, people who you may want to use as references for the future may not look as kindly upon something like that, etc. You'd probably look pretty wishy-washy in my opinion. But you get to do the study you want.

Also, how long is this independent study? Would it be worth it in the long run to do something that may or may not affect your future chances? How opposed are you to doing the former study?
Well I spoke to my academic adviser and he recommended that I e-mail both professors at the same time and explain the situation. At this point I am almost certainly not going to do the former independent study, I've already spoken to two students who seemingly would love to do the independent study with her and they said(may be lying to me but I don't think so) they'll talk to her about it. On the other hand I'm apparently a prime candidate for an awesome internship, which I'll likely do in place of an independent study. I'm not sure if it'll be two credits like I wanted but I'm willing to do a bit more work than I need to graduate since I don't have any work experience related to my major.

Thanks for the advice though. This **** was haunting me.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Trying to figure out what to do with my life. 18 and going to community college for Assosiate's Degree. I basically have no clue what to do after that, but I know I want a job that pays decent but not so high I have no free time (35k+ but nothing ridiculous)

I just want a decent life, not rich, but not working fast food forever... =(

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Trying to figure out what to do with my life. 18 and going to community college for Assosiate's Degree. I basically have no clue what to do after that, but I know I want a job that pays decent but not so high I have no free time (35k+ but nothing ridiculous)

You don't have a passion for anything?

Patinator

Smash Champion
Ugh. My back has been killing me since this morning. I mean, I twist a little and OH DEAR GOD I CAN'T MOVE SOMEBODY HELP ME

I hope it's a pulled muscle. :/ I was chopping on some wood yesterday, and that's something I haven't done in a while, so... ugh. I'm unhappy because certain small movements result in debilitating pain, whee~ :D

Smash Lord

I am having this problem right now too. Almost everything is the same.

Got a 28 on my act.
Parents want a 34 at least.
Don't think I can do it.

I don't know you so I don't know how true this might be, but since I have a professor that does this to me all the time, I think it might just be what's going on here. Your parents might intentionally be forcing goals they know are impossible on you because they know you will try. The idea behind it is if you push yourself towards impossible goals, you will give the extra 110% instead of the 100% you would normally put out.

In the end they know that you won't achieve the goal, but they will be satisfied although they might not acknowledge it. Unfortunately this comes at the price of your dissatisfaction. Just try not to let the disappointment get to you.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Quote, thats bad parenting. All that is going to do is cause him stress and lower his confidence, so hopefully that's not the reason why his parents set him those goals.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
"There is ALWAYS someone worse off than you. Even you and your housing situation. Doesn't mean it's wrong of people to complain. I think Merk should be more positive myself but I'm not gonna nag at him for posting too much in here.

Should you top being a drama queen about facing homelessness because there are millions of diseased and starving people in third world countries?

Since you need me to hold your hand on this, my point is that you have no right to nag at Merkuri because you think his problems are insignificant. YOUR problems are insignificant to millions of people, yet you are entitled to post on the internet about being homeless instead of selling your laptop and getting a job. That's the entire point of this thread.

No matter how mundane your problem is, POST IT. No matter how insignificant you think someone else's woes are, DON'T FLAME THEM. Simple as that. And also, cut it out with the pointless snarkiness.
I would like to point out that one: My laptop is a necessity, two: My laptop is too old and damaged to be sold, and three: You're full of ****. Getting a job is infinitely more difficult than you make it out t be, or at least it is in my city. There are people infinitely more qualified than myself who can't land a job. The only places that have ever been interested in hiring me over the past two years have been various MLM companies.

If general labor, and fast food doesn't want me, what honestly will hire me? Think on that.

Mr.Freeman

Smash Ace
I would like to point out that one: My laptop is a necessity, two: My laptop is too old and damaged to be sold, and three: You're full of ****. Getting a job is infinitely more difficult than you make it out t be, or at least it is in my city. There are people infinitely more qualified than myself who can't land a job. The only places that have ever been interested in hiring me over the past two years have been various MLM companies.

If general labor, and fast food doesn't want me, what honestly will hire me? Think on that.
There's absolutely no minimum wage job that can't hire you? Like not even the bottom of the barrel jobs will hire you?

I meant that seriously, by the way. Though its getting harder to wanting to understand your plight when you're out attacking everyone else.

So yeah, please chill out already.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
There's absolutely no minimum wage job that can't hire you? Like not even the bottom of the barrel jobs will hire you?

I meant that seriously, by the way. Though its getting harder to wanting to understand your plight when you're out attacking everyone else.

So yeah, please chill out already.
The only person I'm remotely "attacking" is LuigiToilet, and yes, I've mentioned several times throughout the thread that I've applied to the absolute bottom-level jobs and they didn't hire me.

Is a laptop really a necessity? I'd like to know how so.
Use your brain, if you have one. Also let me reiterate that selling it is not an option. It's over 2 years old, and damaged. The battery is completely broken and only works when charged, the serial, and the activation keys are completely rubbed out. No shop or pawn will take it, and nobody in their right mind would buy it, and especially not for any significant amount of money. I'd be lucky to get $100 out of it, which wouldn't do much to help my cause. It's more beneficial for me to hold on to it.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
No, you also attacked Merkuri, which in fact is how this whole debacle began.

Please enlighten someone without a brain how a laptop is a necessity for a homeless people, especially one who apparently spends a considerable amount of time on a video game message board.

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Wherever you want me to be... If you're female.
I are really nervous for an exam tomorrow and I totally forgot my text/notes in my friends place...

I have to wait another 5 hours until I can get my stuff... I've been frantically looking at online information but I had specific things I want to go over on my notes...

*Panicking.... lol

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Merkuri whined and *****ed about how his life is "so bad" when he's extremely fortunate, so I called his sorry *** out. I wouldn't call that "attacking."

With my laptop I can apply to jobs online, do research on jobs and schooling, find shelters, speak with people whom I can't call/text, and relax with when I'm sick or it's a weekend and there's nothing better to do than to wait for Monday to arrive.

Also just because I'm homeless doesn't change the fact that there are innumerable wireless hot spots and my laptop has a wireless card.

Mr.Freeman

Smash Ace
Well..I'm getting a pretty good feeling this will be closed soon.

I guess its time for Unhappy Thread 2.0.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Merkuri whined and *****ed about how his life is "so bad" when he's extremely fortunate, so I called his sorry *** out. I wouldn't call that "attacking."
In this thread, (which is named the Unhappy thread because people post about the things that are making them unhappy) it is attacking them. End of story. So knock it off.

edit: no, this thread won't get closed.

I think, or at least hope that Ruby has the sense to not continue to "call out" people he deems too fortunate to complain about their problems.

Top Bottom