• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Tunes Monthlies - Canceled Indefinetely

blast_ssbb

Smash Ace
You guys clearly have the wrong idea why A)me and scar want to do this. You think we are just trying to get an advantage but your wrong. We just want the game to be more B)fun/fair for everyone. Which this ruleset allows. We are still going to win all the sets we would normally win and you wanna know why? We arent little scared pansy *******s like you guys are being. We are actually GOOD enough to win on neutrals which you need to win the overall set anyway. We've both won money at national tournaments. Scar got 5th at genesis for christ sakes. I've made money at pound 3, FAST1, AND Georgia. C) You guys say step it up learn other chars or CP stages.D) I say step it up learn the characters are supposivley "good" on neutrals and learn the fin neutrals *****es.

see how it feels?
A) lol the top spacies(rivaling jman and cactus fox) and the top capt in the area only wanna play on neutrals? ****ing shocking.

B) who told u guys that fighting u guys on neutrals is enjoyable? and wats NOT FAIR about counterpick stages that doesnt apply to neutrals? FACE IT THERE R CHARACTERS WITH ADVANTAGES ON NEUTRALS. just cuz ur TO's doesnt mean u know wats best for everyone.

C) no ones saying learn other chars, infact im willing to bet that everyone thats FOR the ruleset mains a spacie or shiek or capt, all characters that excel on ANY stage wit the exception of what mute city? u guys just want to play on stages where u get automatic free combos on kill the second u get within range of ur opponent wit almost 0 risk of punishment as long as ur tech skill is on point. i guess as long as u can nair shine till ur blue in the face thats fair.

D) funny how we never said u have to learn new chars, just learn the stages yet u make it sound like spacies cant win on floats/cruise/brinstar. especially from someone whos won so much money at major tournaments, were those tournaments using this ruleset? obviously counterpicks arent gamebreaking enough to keep u amazing players from winning money so why ***** and moan about it? ur obviously so much more amazing than the rest of that it doesnt matter.

i was gonna stop talkin about when vanz said he was done couple of posts b4, but he kept goin so im goin to support him. if you guys want to turn away players who potentially could come to ur tournaments its fine. i make an actual effort to go to local tournaments even though i cant, and i was actually talking to prog and he was talking about maybe driving me to more local tournaments since warriorknight keeps being a ****. but watever if u guys use this ruleset, PLAYERS WILL NOT COME AND U WILL GET BORED OF YOUR SAME 10 PPL AND PPL WILL GET TIRED OF WASTING MONEY ON YOUR TOURNAMENTS, JUST LIKE WE CAN SUCK IT UP OR NOT GO U CAN SUCK IT UP AND LOSE UR TURNOUT.

EDit: i agree wit different tournaments having different rules, it makes goin to different tournaments a different experience and that could potentially raise attendance cuz different rulesets COULD make or break the outcome (imagine could armada have made it all the way grandfinals of genesis if he didnt have mutecity vs top players, its debateable). but all tournaments using this will be bad, if alukard adopts this ruleset this will be the end of us.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
Well here are my thoughts on rulesets.

One of the great things about this community, to me, was that anyone can win cause of the stage diversity. As the game progressed I noticed that certain players/characters had certain stages that they would pick to have an advantage. When I asked people, mind you this was about a year ago, why do people not ban X stage from tournament it was because "They need those stages to balance the game out". I heard this and was pretty much in love with the concept. Any character can win with the right amount of effort and skill.

Now I understand both ends of the spectrum. One side feels that this would make the game more "fair" while the other feels that it is making a disadvantage for those who play characters that have 70/30 match ups or just have trouble with spacies and others. To me both sound ideal. I think though that we should, for now, see how people react to SPOC first. Lets see if the ruleset goes well with everyone. If it does then great if not then we can change it.

Remember this Bi-weekly and Spoc is part of the circuit I made to promote GROWTH of the Melee and Brawl scene. We should not be divided by rulesets but support each other. Trying new things are great but for Saffron I am going to use the Pound 4 rulesets cause after seeing the vote it was obvious what a majority of people want.

If it isnt broke dont fix it is my motta but either way I support both Spoc and the Tunes biweekly 100%

Eggm

Smash Hero
Cocky as **** or arrogant would have been fine but selfish? I'm one of THE most selfless smashers. I'm not even gonna argue with you anymore after that. It was so off its not even funny. And yeah I suck at spelling but that's no reason to call me stupid. Btw, fox/falcon don't **** everyone nearly as hard as you make it out to be. Fox hasn't won a major tournament in QUITE sometime.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
You guys clearly have the wrong idea why me and scar want to do this. You think we are just trying to get an advantage but your wrong. We just want the game to be more fun/fair for everyone.
Really you're making it more fun?

You're just being silly now.

Who put you in charge of deciding whats "fun" or not. Don't give us that. People think differently did you know that there are people out there that think melee is not a good game?

There are people who think brawl is a good game.

Fun is VERY subjective. What you are doing is definitely not what the entire melee community thinks is fun.

YOU think its fun to only play on neutrals. Sure there are some people that share YOUR opinion but thats not the case for everyone.

Which this ruleset allows. We are still going to win all the sets we would normally win and you wanna know why? We arent little scared pansy *******s like you guys are being. We are actually GOOD enough to win on neutrals which you need to win the overall set anyway.
So if this is the case why change a system thats made this game MORE THAN AMAZING?

And don't pull that, "We are too good so we are gonna win anyway" ****. If thats the case you wouldn't bother even changing these rules.

We've both won money at national tournaments. Scar got 5th at genesis for christ sakes. I've made money at pound 3, FAST1, AND Georgia. You guys say step it up learn other chars or CP stages. I say step it up learn the characters are supposivley "good" on neutrals and learn the fin neutrals *****es.

see how it feels?
Dam Eggm, you and Scar made money at national tournies....

Guess what? Thats not even remotely a reason that backs up that you should change the rules.

Also I learned all the neutrals just because you place well in tournies and others don't doesn't mean we don't know neutrals.

Also wtf I just said you get ***** on CP stages. Don't even bother saying you don't. The whole community knows you hate and suck on CP stages like how the whole community knows that Inui is ****en ******.

What was ANY reason you had to insult like half the community that uses CP stages? Just because we view the game differently doesn't mean you can just insult half the community for no reason.

If you truly think its fair why don't you just list reasons why you think this ruleset is fair.

Because if you really think that you would win anyway I have no idea why you would even bother deciding on a new ruleset.

CanISmash

Smash Lord
Elmont LI, Queens. Philadelphia during semesters.
spacies and falcon dominate neutrals... only possible action if people are gonna force rules down ur throat is to not attend, til the already dying community asks for ppl to come back. jUst remember one thing cactus jman scar eggm don't make the pot... its me, scrub 1-20 that do.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
For real guys.... it's an experiment. The least we can do is see how it works out. It's not that big of a deal.

They are the TOs and they can decide on whatever rule set they want. I personally like the concept of CP stages (except maybe mute city), but I am interested in the results of a tournament without counter picks. I have more issues with the stage striking system (which I am not going to get into) then the counterpick system. But it is not my place to complain and whine about it. For real it is a pretty minute change.

You can either take the tournaments that are provided or just not show up, but don't blame Scar or Eggm for lower attendance if that is the case. Blame yourself.

GOTM

Smash Champion
It's not that big of a deal.
dude i have been saying that for like 5 posts and it never works, LOL.

to these people it IS that big of deal. why the **** dont you guys just try it out and then complain? just give it a shot? no?

ok....

Eggm

Smash Hero
For real guys.... it's an experiment. The least we can do is see how it works out. It's not that big of a deal.

They are the TOs and they can decide on whatever rule set they want. I personally like the concept of CP stages (except maybe mute city), but I am interested in the results of a tournament without counter picks. I have more issues with the stage striking system (which I am not going to get into) then the counterpick system.

You can either take the tournaments that are provided or just not show up, but don't blame Scar or Eggm for lower attendance if that is the case. Blame yourself.
I honestly felt the same way. But my own crew mates came in dooming my tournament to immediate failure and said how I can't handle playing those stages and how much I suck on them and its the only reason I want them off. Or threatening to quit altogether. Didn't even bother to talk to me on aim or text message first. Just publicly bashed my tournament. Real classy guys. I made my post out of anger cause of how immature you guys were. I can handle those stages that's why I posted my accomplishments to prove it to you. You guys were so in rage of them leaving for one tournament you didn't even calm down to realize that and think for a second that maybe I'm doing it for different reasons. I called you a name cause of how you acted. And to show you how u made me felt. Saying I only wanted these rules cause I suck on CP's and play spacies. You basically called me pansy *******s too but beat around the bush. I was just more straight up. But to call me selfish? Good **** thats wayyyyy outtaline.

I single handedly kept NY in the smash scene when it was barley holding on and there were no tournaments near or in the NY area at ALL. By giving you all free rides after you took the train to multiple events. Housing you guys trying to do my best to make sure you all had pillows and blankets on the couches downstairs. There was a good 3 or 4 weeks or so I had a different 3-4 NYers at my house friday night then gave free rides to the tournies. THEN when they did get started i was bringing like 4 out of the 6 setups to alukards basement tournaments and a few of his toy wiz tournies that otherwise wouldn't even have happened that day. When no one else would bring **** even gamecubes. I was bringing 3 full setups + 1 extra tv a tournament which I had to bust my *** to do. I always enter people or buy them food when they have no money and give people free rides. I organize trips like to georgia borrowing family members vehicles. Calling me selfish was way out of line and I'm sorry.

Scar

#HarveyDent
also what's up with the people claiming that a rulechange will like kill melee

melee will never die

just shut the **** up already

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
The only thing I see you guys *****ing about is how you won't have a means to drastically change the odds of winning one match in a set.

I don't care about CP stages because I win neutrals. You all need to get better at playing on ****ing neutrals and stop relying on your ******* CP stages to win you a match so you can feel better about yourselves. Some of us are more focused on our raw skill than worrying about having a crutch to fall back on.

I don't care about the pot size at all. I care about our region getting better. The pot exists to give you guys something to reach for. We all sacrifice something to attend events. It gives us a reason to try and to learn and to ****ing ****. You are all *****ing about something that, in my ridiculously educated and intelligent opinion, only holds you back.

Eggm doesn't deserve the **** you are giving him for this. He has worked his god**** *** off for all of you and deals with so much ****ing disrespect, even from his own crewmates. We are trying out a new ruleset that will help us all focus on getting good at the stages that, statistically, matter much more than the CPs. It isn't nearly as selfish as you make it out to be.

-melee will NEVER die, and **** you for even suggesting it-

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
QFTs out to Pakman GOTM Eggm Scar and Cactuar

Everyone should man up and find something broken about a neutral they love. Just pull a Chibo and counterpick Stadium with Samus.

JFox

Smash Hero
Personally, I think this was Scar's idea to begin with and everyone should wait until Scar tries it out at Spoc before sayin they're going to implement new rules.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
i love how people always say "OH LOOK THE BEST SPACIE PLAYER HERE WANTS ALL NEUTRALS, SHOCKING"

or "OH LOOK THE BEST MARTH PLAYER HERE WANTS ALL NEUTRALS, SHOCKING"

or "OH LOOK SCAR THE FALCON DOESNT LIKE GAY CPS, SHOCKING"

or to me "LOOK PLANK DOESNT WANT CPS ON, OBVIOUS SHEIK BIAS"

like seriously, shut the **** up. Just cuz we play GOOD characters who are ALREADY good on NEUTRAL levels doesnt mean that WE are all biased for wanting these stages banned. ive seen this so many times, you just point out a single person and rag on them because they play a character better than yours and can win on neutrals.

I'm sorry to be a ****, but these peach players are ****ing pitiful for crying about not having counterpicks. Like honestly, your character sucks. learn to be better with a different character to counter your bad matchups or just accept your losses. dont whine when people ban your one only chance to win on a counterpick. i swear to god these players just hope that the more talented player using the better character they are facing ****s up and suicides one match and that player loses so that they can have their crutch counterpicks to get them through the set.

notice how the jiggs players who benefit from the cp stages just as much as the peach players dont whine, and usually cp neutrals (mango, hbox). why, because they are GOOD? like seriously, peach players all just ****ING SUCK horribly. PERIOD.

what happens when america has to fight an ACTUALLY legimitaltely good, and not just scrubby, peach for the FIRST TIME? (armada). he gets 2nd at a national american tourney

so shut the **** up, get better, and stop *****ing. just ****ing WOW

/endrant

with much love,

plank

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
i dont know how my post went to hating specifically on peach players, but i do tend to hate them.

meh, whatever.

ROFL

teh_spamerer

Smash Master
The only thing I see you guys *****ing about is how you won't have a means to drastically change the odds of winning one match in a set.
This is what I don't get. Not counting Jungle Japes klaptrapping me on multiple occasions and the one time doyoung rested my shield when he was at last stock 90% and I was at last stock 0% and I got pushed off the stage and couldn't jump and died, I have never lost on a counterpick stage because of the stage itself. I've only lost to getting outplayed either because the other other person just played better than me that match or because I was playing like trash. Maybe I'm missing something, and if I am I apologize but no one in favor of banning them has said anything regarding this, but I don't really see what's unfair about the counterpick stages. I remember taking Jason to last stock on Battlefield at SPOC and then getting 4 stocked on Floats :(. I ESPECIALLY don't see why people get mad about Peach and counterpick stages. She is so terrible that she has CLEARLY abysmal matchups against every top tier and even loses to numerous LOW tiers. Is it really asking that much for Peach to be allowed to be 1% of a character one match in a set? I don't think so.

You all need to get better at playing on ****ing neutrals and stop relying on your ******* CP stages to win you a match so you can feel better about yourselves.
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure no one gets excited winning one match of a set on a cp stage. That being said, there are still people who need to learn the neutrals. Many Fox players don't CG after getting a grab on FD against spacies and go for upthrow upsmash even when their opponent is at like 40.

Some of us are more focused on our raw skill than worrying about having a crutch to fall back on.
tbh, I like having a crutch to fall back on. The ****tiest feeling in the world is after reading literally every move some braindead player who is clearly gutter trash then not moving your fingers fast enough to punish. The best thing about Poke Floats is I don't need to worry about some mindless space animal who is trash trying to mindlessly roll/sidestep past me or some Marth/Sheik/Falcon player mindlessly dash attacking/side bing all day. This is all **** I **** all day when I'm playing well but when I'm not it's just like ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, why is the game rewarding them for not being smart just because my fingers aren't moving fast. Then by R3 I have their *** playstyle memorized, I have them shaken from the ****, and they'll lose.

If I had people to play more so I was more consistent with my tech skill, I wouldn't care much since I'd never lose a round anyways

And honestly, we all know tec0, Kage, myself, and others don't win solely or even mainly because of counterpicks.

You are all *****ing about something that, in my ridiculously educated and intelligent opinion, only holds you back.
Would you care to elaborate? Everyone I know(except Eggm and M2K) picks stages in friendlies by going random with all 6 neutrals(Eggm has FoD turned off and M2K ALWAYS picks FD.) No one spends their time practicing counterpick stages because they take 5-10 minutes to learn and then you're set. I don't see how anyone is getting held back by wanting to be good on every stage instead of just 6 of them. Swift brought up a great point. NOT allowing counterpick stages when Pound 4 is going to have them is only going to hurt.

Eggm doesn't deserve the **** you are giving him for this. He has worked his god**** *** off for all of you and deals with so much ****ing disrespect, even from his own crewmates.
It's because they're his crewmates that they're so upset and giving him that ****. Would you let a friend make a horrible decision without trying to change his mind? Of course not. [size=-99999]And to be fair, Eggm basically said they use cp stages because they are ****ty at the game[/size]

We are trying out a new ruleset that will help us all focus on getting good at the stages that, statistically, matter much more than the CPs.
Yeah but R2 and R3 could both be played on counterpick stages every set, which would make neutrals matter 1/3 as much. A better idea to test this kind of a ruleset - hold a cheap single elimination side tournaments with this ruleset. Single elimination will make sure it goes by fast and if it's cheap no one is going to get upset over it.

It isn't nearly as selfish as you make it out to be.
Not that I'm suggesting otherwise, but it's ridiculously easy to see why someone would think that. Eggm has been hating on counterpick stages for years(literally) and is not very good on them.

-melee will NEVER die, and **** you for even suggesting it-
also what's up with the people claiming that a rulechange will like kill melee

melee will never die

just shut the **** up already
I'll tell you how Melee WILL die. If the Melee community stops being cool and ******* start hating each other as much as they hate Brawl. ALL of you on BOTH sides of this argument need to RELAX and remember the chill PEOPLE you're **** talking right now.

EDIT: Sorry JFox, I started the post then watched some vids before actually typing it out so I didn't see that.

Cia

das kwl
But my own crew mates came in dooming my tournament to immediate failure and said how I can't handle playing those stages and how much I suck on them and its the only reason I want them off. Or threatening to quit altogether. Didn't even bother to talk to me on aim or text message first. Just publicly bashed my tournament. Real classy guys.
well at first we weren't hostile at all. then people started throwing things around like STFU, stop *****ing, Man up or my favorite 'we're the TOs, you don't have a choice.' Pretty much douche bag comments. And then came the insults. So if you're going to act like that, then **** being classy. you shoulda thought of that first.

But to call me selfish? Good **** thats wayyyyy outtaline.
No, you generally can be pretty helpful. But some of the **** you do is ridiculous. IF something doesn't go your way, you will ***** like crazy.

ex. you bring madd set ups to a tournament, but if someone needs the tv for a match, they're likely to get a comment like "my tv, go somewhere else." SELFISH

you get knocked out of the tournament, chances are you'll be pissed as hell. So you'll leave instantly taking the set ups you were discounted on Venue fee for. SELFISH

you don't like counterpick stages, so you support the spread of a ruleset that will make YOU happy instead of rules the include EVERYONE's interests. ****IN SELFISH

"Eggm basically said they use cp stages because they are ****ty at the game."

Yeah this was nice.

so when you do ****ed up ****, no one even remembers the good.

Cactuar - i stopped at that 'raw skill' comment because CLEARLY you're trying to insinuate that Neutral stages show who is more skilled. So, i'm just going to dismiss that post because I'd like to think that someone as smart as you would know that "skill" applies to MANY aspects of the game. Not just YOUR definition of a neutral stage

Plairnkk - nice rant. i agree with so many of your points. specifically about us Peach users. I look forward to SPOC.

GOTM

Smash Champion
besides the cool ever enlarging "selfish" words, eggm was at my tournament and he brought 4 tv's and not once did he refuse to stop playing a match when i told him too and let a tourney match happen

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer

They are the TOs and they can decide on whatever rule set they want. I personally like the concept of CP stages (except maybe mute city), but I am interested in the results of a tournament without counter picks. I have more issues with the stage striking system (which I am not going to get into) then the counterpick system. But it is not my place to complain and whine about it. For real it is a pretty minute change.

Holy **** there were a lot of posts..... :laugh:

Personally I'm fine with the SPOC ruleset as a test.

But I'm quite against it being a standard.

Thats... basically it. I like some parts of the system and I don't like others. But since I hate most of it I wanna say reasons why it should just not be here.

Personally I feel like everyone who is concerned about the ruleset SHOULD post. Especially if people everywhere is gonna decide its gonna be the new standard.

pockyD

Smash Legend
if you're ok with letting it be a "test", then let the "test" happen before raising a ruckus

otherwise, throwing arguments around at this point suggests that you AREN'T ok with such a "test"

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Except there have been people being like "Its gonna be the new standard" crap.

And chibo, eggm, and gotm said they were all planning to use it.

I can deal with one maybe 2 tournies that have this ruleset. I don't feel like having to deal with it being the new standard ruleset.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
plank, you should probably stick to arguing points instead of flaming the character a player uses...that just makes you look unintelligent.

i'm pretty sure im a peach player and i am ok with these rules. also, tec0 and spam play spacies and sheik, they just like cp stages. not your finest posts...
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=249171
posts made with rage tend to be the least intelligent ones :D

Alukard

Smash Hero
can we play on dreamland only as a competitive test.
and ban fox please.
also i think we should implement a ledge grab rule like brawl cause some people love them some ledges.
grab the ledge first ... or just ... **** around

Alukard

Smash Hero
WOW... i'm not even going to begin to read all this crap ...

i told scar b4 that the idea of this crap is stupid ... but its his tournament ...

everyone should really really think about this ... i would rather him ADD stages then take away ... cmon people

this isn't brawl ... melee was fine the way it was ... for like 5 years or sumthing right ...

i'm not changing **** at no johns ...

blast_ssbb

Smash Ace
if you're ok with letting it be a "test", then let the "test" happen before raising a ruckus

otherwise, throwing arguments around at this point suggests that you AREN'T ok with such a "test"
the word ADOPTING in the title thread implies test?

Dada2199

Smash Journeyman
WOW... i'm not even going to begin to read all this crap ...

i told scar b4 that the idea of this crap is stupid ... but its his tournament ...

everyone should really really think about this ... i would rather him ADD stages then take away ... cmon people

this isn't brawl ... melee was fine the way it was ... for like 5 years or sumthing right ...

i'm not changing **** at no johns ...
yeah this is not brawl. you should leave melee like it was.

Eazy23

Smash Lord
dude i have been saying that for like 5 posts and it never works, LOL.

to these people it IS that big of deal. why the **** dont you guys just try it out and then complain? just give it a shot? no?

ok....
Dude, it might not be that big of a deal to YOU, seeing as though you have melee right in your backyard. But for most of us, melee has been hard to find, and its not available very often, as far as big tournies go. So why would news that big tournies are going to be drastically changed NOT be a big deal? I could see if there were tournies every weekend, but this isn't 06 and thats not the case. Use your brain before you claim that this is "just an experiement" and doesn't mean much. Same goes for you Pakman.

Eliminating one of the most tactical factors in melee is Not a big deal lolol. How many melee tournies have their been in the last 3 months? Yea, I think its a pretty big deal when one finally pops up n they say " F*CK YO CP N!GGA F*ck YO CP!

Top Bottom