• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sonic Glitch/Tech/Non-obvious move list & Gimp Guide *updated 2/16*

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Check the DI. I know that for the Smashville left side Sonic one, it only works if you DI down and towards the corner, which is really rare and 'dumb' DI, unless you're trying to gamble on an early-as-possible tech lol.

...hayop D:
I SERIOUSLY doubt he remembers. It was like... a month ago.

Tenki

Smash Hero
If you have a wii, you can just test it in training mode lol.

8 directions :l

Tenki

Smash Hero
placement and DI.

Well, damage determines how fast you get launched. D3 can recover from the right one if he's not high enough in damage lol.

infomon

Smash Scientist
I'm not sure where else to post this, and I don't have much experience with Sonic's grind (since I assumed it was bad news). But it turns out you can SD during a grind. This includes B-reversed SD. It's strange because you can't spring, homing attack, or SC... but the forward input seems to cancel the grind even if it comes slightly after tapping B, which on its own doesn't work.

Similarly, you can't shield during a grind, but you can dodge-roll!

I'm assuming this is known, but it wasn't known to me, and I don't know where else this type of stuff would be discussed... lulz.

Anyway, because of this I'm starting to really like grinding! I just dash around the stage, haphazardly swinging the control stick from down-right to down-left, for anything from runs/slow-runs/foxtrots/grinds/dash-dancing; the more the faster the merrier, just so Sonic looks completely frickin' ******** (and unpredictable) moving around the stage. :) Mixed up with SD's (both directions, B-reversed and not), Sonic's a total spaz.

Tenki

Smash Hero
lol.

I mentioned it in the Foxtrot/pivot moves thread, saying that side-B to shield can cancel the foxtrot animation for you.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Waaaaah, I've re-discovered soooo many strange details of Sonic's moveset this week... but there's no fighting it. Tenki knows everything. :laugh:

EXCEPT FOR THIS!

Sonic's Battlefield Crystal-Jump ASC Dive Recovery Tech! (SBCJASCDRT)
Hop off the side of battlefield and ASC inwards toward the pointy crystal at the bottom... just as you pass it, jump-cancel the ASC in position so that you can wall-jump off the opposite side of the crystal from where you started... from there you can follow it with an Fair (cuz it looks cool) but inevitably Spring > (wall-jump if you want) > recover on the opposite side of battlefield.

It looks so cool. It's ridiculously dangerous; the spacing required for that jump-cancel is absurd. It's totally unnecessary since you'd be better off just ASC'ing (or even just SD'ing), jump-cancelling under the opposite side of battlefield, and then springing, but it's way cooler to wall-jump off the opposite side of the crystal... but most importantly..... Tenki didn't know you could do this... if only because he never thought to try it.

WHAT NOW!?

darkNES386

Smash Lord
I'm not sure where else to post this, and I don't have much experience with Sonic's grind (since I assumed it was bad news). But it turns out you can SD during a grind. This includes B-reversed SD. It's strange because you can't spring, homing attack, or SC... but the forward input seems to cancel the grind even if it comes slightly after tapping B, which on its own doesn't work.

Similarly, you can't shield during a grind, but you can dodge-roll!

I'm assuming this is known, but it wasn't known to me, and I don't know where else this type of stuff would be discussed... lulz.

Anyway, because of this I'm starting to really like grinding! I just dash around the stage, haphazardly swinging the control stick from down-right to down-left, for anything from runs/slow-runs/foxtrots/grinds/dash-dancing; the more the faster the merrier, just so Sonic looks completely frickin' ******** (and unpredictable) moving around the stage. :) Mixed up with SD's (both directions, B-reversed and not), Sonic's a total spaz.
So yeah like... I know I made that video and all but I really don't have any logical applications for the the grind right now. Honestly, I need to toy with it more during actual matches but it really isn't anything special right now in my eyes.

I guess we have to break it down by how far it really moves you... how fast you move (if it's a drastic difference in speed from say a run or second fox trot) then we might be able to find a little more out about it's uses. To my knowledge, if you foxtrot TO an edge you do not fall off. Therefor maybe you could like grind in place on the edge since grinding does slightly increase it's duration... I don't know. Not really applicable though...

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Lololol infzy.

As for grind, i kinda go with what infzy originally said. Just messing with your opponents ehads with all these weird movement patterns can have a huge effect XD.

But yea, foxtrot + SideB = <3

Tenki

Smash Hero
Waaaaah, I've re-discovered soooo many strange details of Sonic's moveset this week... but there's no fighting it. Tenki knows everything. :laugh:

EXCEPT FOR THIS!

Sonic's Battlefield Crystal-Jump ASC Dive Recovery Tech! (SBCJASCDRT)
Hop off the side of battlefield and ASC inwards toward the pointy crystal at the bottom... just as you pass it, jump-cancel the ASC in position so that you can wall-jump off the opposite side of the crystal from where you started... from there you can follow it with an Fair (cuz it looks cool) but inevitably Spring > (wall-jump if you want) > recover on the opposite side of battlefield.

It looks so cool. It's ridiculously dangerous; the spacing required for that jump-cancel is absurd. It's totally unnecessary since you'd be better off just ASC'ing (or even just SD'ing), jump-cancelling under the opposite side of battlefield, and then springing, but it's way cooler to wall-jump off the opposite side of the crystal... but most importantly..... Tenki didn't know you could do this... if only because he never thought to try it.

WHAT NOW!?
SBFCJASCDRT. Spell it right.

otherwise,

:(

infomon

Smash Scientist
Ah yes, Battlefield = BF. ty, now my moves are top tier!!
NOW I'll show you!

As for grind.... that's the thing -- I thought it was useless to the extent that I would intentionally avoid being in a grind state, which meant I had an unnatural spacing limitation on the ground; I'd either want to be close up, or far enough that I could safely dash into a screech-stop state, from which we can do anything. Now I'm starting to just mess around on the ground, because at least I have options from anything.

Maybe I'm just being silly :ohwell:

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
You can shield out of a grind by canceling the grind with a side B and canceling the side B with your shield.

And thanks to B-reversal, you can do this in either direction.

Deathwish238

Smash Apprentice
This is true, but I don't see anyone using the grind in matches.
which is why somebody should try and do so. there's a lot of potential here imo. its just so f'ing hard to do and at tournament lvl your nerves might mess you up despite practicing it like crazy =/ but still its very unique to sonic and im pretty sure there's somebody out there who must be taking advantage of this.....???? lol maybe....

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
i still sometimes eff up spinshotting in serious matches...

but yea, so far the only use i have for this is

grind-> reeeeaaly late dash attack

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Yeah, delayed dash attacks are probably your best option out of a grind.

Sometimes a DACUS can catch people off guard, and it just looks so freakin' awesome.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Yeah, delayed dash attacks are probably your best option out of a grind.

Sometimes a DACUS can catch people off guard, and it just looks so freakin' awesome.
Wow, never would've realized you could do that too out of grind, even tho it's obv..... that's a pretty weird tech, do a grind and just before it stops, dacus = omgwtf

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Wow, never would've realized you could do that too out of grind, even tho it's obv..... that's a pretty weird tech, do a grind and just before it stops, dacus = omgwtf
Done it myself several times. A bit specific in scenario, but pretty funny when you pull it off just right.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Yeah, think of the timing like this.

You know when you do a pivot smash out of a foxtrot? Well, a grind is just an extended foxtrot so you just input the DACUS at the same time as you would your pivot.
It's just a little harder because you have to grind, then DACUS, and getting the timing just right can be a little tricky since the grind requires you to tilt the joystick first.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Box-techs should be listed in this thread.

Tru Fax.

:093:
Indeed.

HOORAY 1,000th POST!
I IZ FINALLY A SMASH LORD!

That was the only reason why I responded.

Deathwish238

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, think of the timing like this.

You know when you do a pivot smash out of a foxtrot? Well, a grind is just an extended foxtrot so you just input the DACUS at the same time as you would your pivot.
It's just a little harder because you have to grind, then DACUS, and getting the timing just right can be a little tricky since the grind requires you to tilt the joystick first.
sorry for being the only idiot asking (i just can't help it lol) but what exactly does DACUS stand for??? let me take a wild guess just for fun lmaoo

dash attack cancel united states??

no? hmm lmfaoo can anybody plz tell me lol

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Not that situational if you can do it right, at least not on smashville, I broke a shield with it yesterday :D

Pulled it off a couple of times on CPUs too =P

Btw, has anyone tested it on normal platforms? Seems unlikely due to the mechanics of it, but hey, if it worked...

infomon

Smash Scientist
Whoah, it's actually useful?? lolol I'ma try and practice it :laugh: breaking shields with Sonic would be way too good.

I'm sure it will only work on moving platforms, that's the only explanation for the mechanic, afaik. Although, on regular platforms, you could just do an SDR > ASC combo by simply rolling off the edge; that might be a good thing to practice the spacing for, since that's like 30% in three hits ftw.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Not that situational if you can do it right, at least not on smashville, I broke a shield with it yesterday :D
Epic.

Btw, has anyone tested it on normal platforms? Seems unlikely due to the mechanics of it, but hey, if it worked...
Doesn't work. I decided to try it, you can do the SDR>Fall off Platfrom>ASC, but you can't do the super crazy SDR of doom on it. Like you said, it doesn't fit with the mechanics.

EDIT: Rawr. infzy is too good.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Nowai, I think we should call it the Hylian Roll.

ROFL
Too good.
My vote's on Hylian Roll.
Although SCROD is very catchy...

Oh, and Cat, I was playing one of my friends on Wi-Fi and broke his shield TWICE with Sonic.

Top Bottom