• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Favorite announcement at the Indie World

• Little Kitty, Big City

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Yars Rising

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Refind Self: The Personality Test Game

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Sticky Business

• Antonblast

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • Valley Peaks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lorelei and the Laser Eyes

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Helder Pinto

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • TMNT Splintered Fate

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Cat Quest 3

• stitch

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Steamworld Heist 2

• One of the games from the montage

• None

Votes: 7 29.2%

• Total voters

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
While I strongly disagree with it's story not making sense at times or relying on contrivances, I do agree that it's character-building and character arcs are it's strongest suit by far. I just think it's storytelling and narrative structure is almost just as good.

I kinda disagree with this too, though not to nearly the same extent.

In a weird way, Andrias is kind of like the opposite of Eclipsa from SvtFoE. He's presented as a good guy, everyone in-universe thinks he's a good guy and a good king, but he does enough odd stuff from the get-go that the show has you guessing if he's really a good guy or secretly a villain; it's made clear from the beginning that he's planning something, it's just not made clear what, whereas Eclipsa is presented as a villain and everyone in-universe thinks she's a villain, but her behavior has you guessing that she might be good all along, while the question remains if she's truly evil or not for a while and what she could be planning if she is.

While it wasn't a shocking twist, the question and his seemingly genuinely benevolent behavior had me intrigued and I found his overall character just fascinating. Not to mention that his character becomes even more layered throughout season 3.
Keith David absolutely kills it in season 3.

His performance is so well delivered and leads to one of the best scenes of the whole show imo.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Frog show was my **** for a few years. Always liked it more than Owl House, which I watched two episodes of and dipped.

I know I can’t judge the whole show on that basis, and I don’t really. But it didn’t hold my attention.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Frog show was my **** for a few years. Always liked it more than Owl House, which I watched two episodes of and dipped.

I know I can’t judge the whole show on that basis, and I don’t really. But it didn’t hold my attention.
Would you ever consider giving it another shot?

The show is kind of lighthearted at first (story-wise, I mean. I'm not counting all of it's darker humor and monsters) and it's not clear if it has much of a story early on, but the show vastly improves with each episode goes on, and season 2 in particular has one of the best stories I've seen out of a TV show in years, easily comparable to Amphibia in quality. And while Amphibia did a few things better than it, The Owl House also does a few things better than Amphibia, imo. They've both got their own strengths with their stories and characters alike.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

Owl House is amazing. It’s the kind of show where you can forget it’s a comedy because not every single detail is set up to be a punchline.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I dunno, I’m interested in an Encanto world.

It’d be so cool to actually explore the completely fictional land of Colombia.
The thought was spurred on by an add I saw for Pixar’s Elemental. Encanto would be ok. Casita would be an interesting level. But I want them to look more at older movies and shows and potentially even stuff they’ve acquired and not just do stuff from their current lineup.

I remember back before it was sold off I thought a really fun world would be an Indians Jones world with Lara Croft as an additional cameo since Square owned her. But now that wouldn’t work and it makes me kind of mad because it would have been so perfect BUY HER BACK SQUARE NFTS ARE DEAD!!!

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Indiana Jones world
Remember when Sora, Donald, Goofy, Indy and Henry had to retrieve Jiminy's Journal from Berlin and it ended up being signed by Hitler?

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
While I strongly disagree with it's story not making sense at times or relying on contrivances, I do agree that it's character-building and character arcs are it's strongest suit by far. I just think it's storytelling and narrative structure is almost just as good.
While I could nitpick at things like The Temples for forever, I guess they still add more fo the story and writers are allowed to cheat sometimes so I guess that wouldn't be fair. They were there to send Anne and friends on an adventure (and also to rob them of their powers) and they served that purpose well.

But I have huge issues with The Secret Spell and how it was handled.

It was a pretty blatant excuse to make Anne have to sacrifice herself last second after the good guys had basically already won. Plus I think it's also kind of antithetical to the themes of self-love but I guess that's its own issue.

Maybe if The Secret Spell had been handled differently I'd have a warmer opinions on the show's use of plot devices.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I think I lost track of my own opinion on Amphibia's story telling.

It's not that I think the story is not good. It's just that it's not really one with a ton of twists and turns and I don't think it'd benefit from being more story driven then it already is.

The "filler" episodes are mostly focused on building character, and the story beats are usually the payoff for that. It's a lot like how Gravity Falls handles story. That's a show where the vast majority of episodes don't move the plot at all, but you don't usually see people complain about filler there because it was pre-Steven Universe and wasn't airing alongside Owl House.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I think I lost track of my own opinion on Amphibia's story telling.

It's not that I think the story is not good. It's just that it's not really one with a ton of twists and turns and I don't think it'd benefit from being more story driven then it already is.

The "filler" episodes are mostly focused on building character, and the story beats are usually the payoff for that. It's a lot like how Gravity Falls handles story. That's a show where the vast majority of episodes don't move the plot at all, but you don't usually see people complain about filler there because it was pre-Steven Universe and wasn't airing alongside Owl House.
Idk if I would blame those shows for filler complaints, people are just so ****ing useless at recognizing it's good to show what a cast is like with no or low stakes, one of my favourite shows has breakneck pacing for it's story but the most beloved parts of it are just seeing the fun jabs the two protagonists have with each other. I blame media illiteracy as the term filler is literally from anime making **** up to pad time between adapted work from a manga yet that clearly isn't the case

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Bro came at me with "The reason Unova isn't America is that America is too controversial of a country to set a region in."

Ignoring the fact that we have TWO regions based on America already(Orre and Alola), Liberty Garden where you catch Victini is literally Liberty Island.
"America is too controversial"

Whos gonna tell the dude that america isnt the only controversial place in the world?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I remember watching Ambphibia and I got sucked in thru the charm/writing, and then halfway thru idk if Matt Braly was watching the Namek saga or smth but giving Anne a quintessential Super Saiyan state was hype af. It got me even more into it.

Now going further, there’s one more secret I have to share with y’all.

IMG_6942.jpeg

I did not care for The Owl House​

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
Ok dont judge me but

I have a mighty mighty need to wear a maid dress
French Maid?
With all the frills?
I hope you can pull it off.
Personally, I would not disclose that to a video game forum.

Nah, Sonics is way worse.

“For his neutral special, sonic has spin dash”

“For his up special, spin dash”

“for his side special, spin dash again!”

“For his down special, long Time Fans will really love this! You guesssed it! Spin dash again!”

“Here’s also some kicks and punches lol”
Project M Sonic supremacy.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Me however, never seem the Owl House jor Amphibia.

Nothing against the shows... I just don't got cable.

Maybe someday, I know Amphibia had a Gravity Falls reference which was cool.
A whole ass episode pretty much being Gravity Falls. Frog Stan Pines doing his thing…and a Frog Soos cameo included.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I remember back before it was sold off I thought a really fun world would be an Indians Jones world with Lara Croft as an additional cameo since Square owned her. But now that wouldn’t work and it makes me kind of mad because it would have been so perfect BUY HER BACK SQUARE NFTS ARE DEAD!!!
Do ya one better. MCU-World. Imagine it being one of those worlds you continue visiting in later games (Halloween Town, Agrabah, PotC, etc.) where you team up with the Avengers, then with the Guardians then both.

Bosses like Loki, Ronan, Ego, Ultron, Hela, Thanos.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I live The Owl House but I'm not crazy about it the way I am with frog show. Frog show just makes me feel things but I personally find a lot of Owl House's emotional beats to miss the mark for me.

I'm probably just not gay enough for it.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I'm home. Put my gachapon figures on display
IMG-20230930-WA0006.jpeg

I also have a bunch of One Piece minifigures but I won't post them as I'm still collecting them, ordered some off AliExpress just now

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

Who would get more trailer views:
  • The most requested character from the biggest Nicktoon of all time
  • Marge's black son

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Another part of my kingdom hearts pitch involves starting each world by recreating each shows theme song but with Sora Donald and Goofy inserted in appropriate places. Like have them open the box to Amphibia or that place in the owl house intro where it focuses on three characters to the beat of the song. I think it would be fun since KH has never really done tv shows before.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Sonic Frontiers update talk/rant

The more I play this game the less I like it. very few of my problems with the base game were fixed, the visuals are still bland, so much of the game is generic floating platforms and platforming challenges that punish you for going fast while still giving you fun tools for going fast, No Quicksave, and The Cyberspace stages still feel like I'm fighting the controls in a different, and worse, game. I will say though, the new characters are all fun and I enjoy playing as them, and all my gripes with the overworld music were fixed with the addition of the jukebox and the unique music that plays with each character, big fan of that. The writing also is still good.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Sonic Frontiers update talk/rant

The more I play this game the less I like it. very few of my problems with the base game were fixed, the visuals are still bland, so much of the game is generic floating platforms and platforming challenges that punish you for going fast while still giving you fun tools for going fast, No Quicksave, and The Cyberspace stages still feel like I'm fighting the controls in a different, and worse, game. I will say though, the new characters are all fun and I enjoy playing as them, and all my gripes with the overworld music were fixed with the addition of the jukebox and the unique music that plays with each character, big fan of that. The writing also is still good.
I understand. I mean, I love the update so far, but I can really see it is NOT without its problems, plenty of which need to be addressed and pointed out.

Top Bottom