• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Favorite announcement of this Direct?

• Total voters

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Re: Amphibia

I'm a weirdo who's favorite season is Season 1. I don't need a complicated plot to keep me invested (and honestly I'd argue that's not the show's strong suit anyway), but I love the Warwoodians and I think Season 1 is where Anne's character arch is at its absolute strongest.

Season 2 is also really strong and I adore Marcy but I think Season 3 stumbles a bit in balancing its story telling with its other elemants. Still Fight in the Museum and Annesterminator are some of my favorite episodes (Cloakbot my beloved).

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Starting Amphibia season 3 and I’m just gonna say it. I’m glad Owl House only had one episode to do the whole “fantasy characters in the human world as the parents struggle to except the new status quo” deal. I don’t know how many episodes they’re gonna be on earth for but god do I wish it was just one. It’s feels so much like filler.
Still hoping for a Bowser Form Wonder Flower scenario.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Kinda looks like if blue and yellow toad fused together… now I want a way for Mario characters to have a version of the fusion dance so any character can fuse with any other.

I'm a weirdo who's favorite season is Season 1. I don't need a complicated plot to keep me invested (and honestly I'd argue that's not the show's strong suit anyway), but I love the Warwoodians and I think Season 1 is where Anne's character arch is at its absolute strongest.

Season 2 is also really strong and I adore Marcy but I think Season 3 stumbles a bit in balancing its story telling with its other elemants. Still Fight in the Museum and Annesterminator are some of my favorite episodes (Cloakbot my beloved).
I’m the opposite. I’m almost any show I hate the trope of “the townspeople”. Just this gallery of interconnected archetypes that sometimes show up and steal the spotlight and always seem to feel super shallow. Amphibia, Steven Universe, Gravity Falls, even Ben 10 started flubbing this by having a bunch of “townsfolk” type characters come Omniverse. Sure it makes the world feel bigger but I don’t need these one note jokes to have entire episodes dedicated to the problems they cause or are going through and most of the time I’d prefer they not exist. Just give me generic background extras and a strong but small group of supporting characters, and I’m good.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Abso-goddamn-lutely.

The game is a delight.
Yeah new snap is fantastic. A great game to chill out to, and you can even share your snaps with the world, so you get this sort of environment that allows you to chill and help out others chill. It's great.
Alright, thanks! I do really enjoy games where you can just kind of relax, unwind and take everything about the game's world in like Animal Crossing. I might just go ahead and get the game this Christmas, maybe sooner if I just decide to use some eShop funds.

I'm curious, what makes you think it's not the show's strong suit?

Because tbh, I feel it's had one of the strongest overarching stories any animated TV show has had in years, on par with Gravity Falls as well as it's sister show The Owl House, if not stronger in some aspects.

Starting Amphibia season 3 and I’m just gonna say it. I’m glad Owl House only had one episode to do the whole “fantasy characters in the human world as the parents struggle to except the new status quo” deal. I don’t know how many episodes they’re gonna be on earth for but god do I wish it was just one. It’s feels so much like filler.
Once again, believe me, it's not. There's only like one or two episodes that can truly be considered filler, and even that's stretching it, since story-wise, a lot of what happens throughout season 3 is important to the story down the line. I don't want to spoil too much, but I just really wanted to bring that up. The episodes that seem less important to the overarching plot still serve a purpose, even if it doesn't seem like they do at first.

Also, what did you think of True Colors?

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Bro came at me with "The reason Unova isn't America is that America is too controversial of a country to set a region in."

Ignoring the fact that we have TWO regions based on America already(Orre and Alola), Liberty Garden where you catch Victini is literally Liberty Island.
Wait until they hear about what Japan did in World War II and the entire history of Britain

Shroob

Sup?
Had to break the news to a techbro that the Yugioh cards they purchased for like 500$ were worth like 60$ max.

They swore up and down that "The AI told them they were the price."

Maybe, here's a thought, maybe relying on an AI instead of basic research isn't a smart idea.

I enjoyed a moment of schadenfreude, ngl.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Alright, thanks! I do really enjoy games where you can just kind of relax, unwind and take everything about the game's world in like Animal Crossing. I might just go ahead and get the game this Christmas, maybe sooner if I just decide to use some eShop funds.

Because tbh, I feel it's had one of the strongest overarching stories any animated TV show has had in years, on par with Gravity Falls as well as it's sister show The Owl House, if not stronger in some aspects.

Once again, believe me, it's not. There's only like one or two episodes that can truly be considered filler, and even that's stretching it, since story-wise, a lot of what happens throughout season 3 is important to the story down the line. I don't want to spoil too much, but I just really wanted to bring that up. The episodes that seem less important to the overarching plot still serve a purpose, even if it doesn't seem like they do at first.

Also, what did you think of True Colors?
It was ok. I saw king andrias being a bad guy from a mile away but Super Saiyan Anne was cool. I don’t know how to feel about Sasha tbh, she’s gonna need some serious character arching for me to get on board with her not just being a bad guy in the future.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Looking deeper into this guy

Apparently he's trying to sell these cards because...I **** you not, he lost his house due to crypto crash.

...........I should feel bad, but.... I just, cannot feel bad for a crypto bro, I'm sorry.
disgust dragon.jpg

Bro who tf are these people you're talking to?

It's like you're hanging out in a digital trailer park.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Looking deeper into this guy

Apparently he's trying to sell these cards because...I **** you not, he lost his house due to crypto crash.

...........I should feel bad, but.... I just, cannot feel bad for a crypto bro, I'm sorry.
Shroob drinking their tears straight from this.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Legitimately can't wait to go back home and put all of my non-repeat gacha figures on my shelf

I may not have the entire Straw Hat Crew (although 8/10 isn't bad) but I do have the 4 main characters of Hunter x Hunter.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Speakong of Reddit and bad financial desicions, I guess they made a movie about the Reddit-Gamestop Stock Market thing from a while back and for some reason... Meg Thee Stallion was all over the soundtrack?

Like idk, when I see/listen to her, Reddit is the last thing I think of.
I remember hearing about that movie. And I wonder what the plot of the film is actually about because nothing really happened irl besides “people messed with the stock market, all sides lost in the end”.

The film industry really has gone downhill.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
The answer to that is complicated but I think the story is heavily dependant on plot contrivances and there's a lot of things that just don't make sense when analyzed more closely.

But the character archs are really strong. Those are what Amphibia is really about so its easy to look past the other story flaws.

Very strong pathos but very weak logos imo.

Edit: Compared to Gravity Falls and Owl House, I feel like GF tells a more minimalist story that doesn't really need much logos, while Owl House has much stronger logos overall. Despite this Amphibia is still my favorite of the three shows.
It was ok. I saw king andrias being a bad guy from a mile away but Super Saiyan Anne was cool. I don’t know how to feel about Sasha tbh, she’s gonna need some serious character arching for me to get on board with her not just being a bad guy in the future.
Tbf King Andrias being a villain was never supposed to be a surprise.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
The answer to that is complicated but I think the story is heavily dependant on plot contrivances and there's a lot of things that just don't make sense when analyzed more closely.

But the character archs are really strong. Those are what Amphibia is really about so its easy to look past the other story flaws.

Edit: Compared to Gravity Falls and Owl House, I feel like GF tells a more minimalist story that doesn't really need much logos, while Owl House has much stronger logos overall. Despite this Amphibia is still my favorite of the three shows.

They sure as hell treat it like one in the narrative though. I do like the show but it’s not as good as gravity falls or owl house. Or heck, some of the other Disney shows that don’t get compared a lot.

Also I can’t get over the planters family name. It just makes me think of peanuts. Why did they think they could get away with that?
Also I can’t get over the planters family name. It just makes me think of peanuts. Why did they think they could get away with that?

Fun fact. As a kid I thought a Gravity Falls/Phineas and Ferb crossover was bound to happen because they were both shows about a pair of siblings that take place over a summer vacation. Never did, and as an adult I can understand the two shows aren’t really all that compatible. But it’s still fun to daydream.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Some of the positives to come out of TMNT 2012 before this years Mutation Day ends for me…
  • Allowed the turtles to finally act and sound like real teens (of their era), which tbh probably should’ve happened earlier than 2012
  • Made April as a teen and/or not being captured be a normal thing
  • Making all 4 turtles actually look different physically beyond their skin + mask color, weapons, and personality become normal
  • Shredder repping black culture
  • Anime influences and respect became common
  • Became something Nick can rely on beyond the sponge
  • Made Karai even more important
  • Casey Jones…not being that important as much
  • Made Leo a cool person outside of fighting
  • The only show to escape the cursed Studio 10
  • Made it ok to abuse money for big named actors to play long term roles
  • And most important of all…made Kevin Eastman be Ice Cream Kitty
Welp…now to wait for the 12th anniversary for 2012’s Turtle Power. Here’s Leonardo bopping his head from the god tier intro while Raphael stares and twitches
IMG_0224.gif

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Speaking of Kingdom Hearts:
Put the Muppets In Kingdom Hearts.

Fozzie: “The darkness was always there Kermit. All the times the audience didn’t laugh, all the rejection, all the cancel culture. Through it all, I never opened my heart to the darkness, until now… Soon I’ll be the most powerful muppet that ever lived!”

*Kermit hearing this:
1696049977909.jpeg

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Speaking of Kingdom Hearts:
Put the Muppets In Kingdom Hearts.

Fozzie: “The darkness was always there Kermit. All the times the audience didn’t laugh, all the rejection, all the cancel culture. Through it all, I never opened my heart to the darkness, until now… Soon I’ll be the most powerful muppet that ever lived!”

*Kermit hearing this:
View attachment 378538
I still think it’s a good candidate for a minigame world ala hundred acre wood.

Reactions: Z25

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453

While I strongly disagree with it's story not making sense at times or relying on contrivances, I do agree that it's character-building and character arcs are it's strongest suit by far. I just think it's storytelling and narrative structure is almost just as good.

I kinda disagree with this too, though not to nearly the same extent.

In a weird way, Andrias is kind of like the opposite of Eclipsa from SvtFoE. He's presented as a good guy, everyone in-universe thinks he's a good guy and a good king, but he does enough odd stuff from the get-go that the show has you guessing if he's really a good guy or secretly a villain; it's made clear from the beginning that he's planning something, it's just not made clear what, whereas Eclipsa is presented as a villain and everyone in-universe thinks she's a villain, but her behavior has you guessing that she might be good all along, while the question remains if she's truly evil or not for a while and what she could be planning if she is.

While it wasn't a shocking twist, the question and his seemingly genuinely benevolent behavior had me intrigued and I found his overall character just fascinating. Not to mention that his character becomes even more layered throughout season 3.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I still think it’s a good candidate for a minigame world ala hundred acre wood.
They should embrace the meta aspects the movies had, and make the plot this:

The muppets need to save the theater from a greedy businessman. Except because they can’t get actual celebrity cameos, they travel to unique parts of other worlds to recruit famous Disney characters for acts.

Would be really fun.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
They should embrace the meta aspects the movies had, and make the plot this:

The muppets need to save the theater from a greedy businessman. Except because they can’t get actual celebrity cameos, they travel to unique parts of other worlds to recruit famous Disney characters for acts.

Would be really fun.
I want Sora, Riku, and Kairi to be played in live action by their voice actors as well.

Reactions: Z25
Top Bottom