• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Favorite announcement of this Direct?

• Total voters

Shroob

Sup?
Honestly, I've never been much of a shiny hunter. Like, I get the appeal, and I even did shiny hunt all the Scarlet Paradoxes, but it's never been something I've ever found 'fun'.

Which is gonna make my ribbon quest all the bigger hurdle.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Honestly, I've never been much of a shiny hunter. Like, I get the appeal, and I even did shiny hunt all the Scarlet Paradoxes, but it's never been something I've ever found 'fun'.

Which is gonna make my ribbon quest all the bigger hurdle.
I’m the opposite, I hate the ribbon hunting and never got into it, but love shiny hunting lol

Shroob

Sup?
I’m the opposite, I hate the ribbon hunting and never got into it, but love shiny hunting lol
I really only wanna do it to kill some time.

And my god, it's not going to be easy, even if I'm only locked to Gen 8 and 9 games.

Between getting the Galar Champion ribbon, when I don't own or plan to own SwSd, and getting the Master Rank ribbon when I am TERRIBLE at competitive battling....

Last edited:
Reactions: Z25

Jondolio

Smash Hero
As someone who has a nearly complete forms living dex in Pokémon Home you'll have to pay me to do it again for slightly different colorations

Shroob

Sup?
Oh, huh. You can just naturally get Kantonian Tauros in SV now.

If you breed a Paldean Tauros in Kitakami it'll hatch as a Kantonian one.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I've only enjoyed Shiny Hunting in Legends Arceus and Pokemon Go.

I still haven't updated my copy of the former game, so I can still abuse the Outbreak refresh option. It's also just fun as a whole to explore Hisui and randomly hear the Shiny jingle go off in the background. Best luck I've had was getting two Shiny Vulpix in a single outbreak.

Pokemon Go has stupid Shiny odds depending on when you play:
  • Monthly Community Days have the highest wild spawn rates. I usually get around ~12 Shinies within the 3 hour time frame.
  • Anniversary Celebrations have boosted rates, and you can pay for an additional boost as well. Wild Legendary Pokemon have the highest boosted rates and are guaranteed captures/will not run away unless you do. I caught 2 Shiny Suicune during Johto, and 4 Shiny Latias during Hoenn.
  • Hatch Days involve walking around, but the boosts are about 1:10. During the Riolu event in June, I hatched 4 shinies out of about 15 eggs.
  • Raid Battles overall offer boosted rates (about 1:25) as a whole and have guaranteed shiny Legendary Pokemon auto-catches. Even if you don't get a shiny, the rewards are still really solid. I once caught 3 Shiny Zekroms in a row through Raids.
  • During certain Raid spotlight hours, the rates are as high as 1:10. These don't come up often, but I caught 4 Shiny Deoxys in a single hour. 3 Shiny Braviarys in a half hour. etc
Of course with Go, only select Pokemon are generally available at any given time and go through rotations on a weekly/monthly/quarterly basis nor can you manually boost your odds. I believe normal wild shiny rates vary by Pokemon if I remember correctly, with the lowest being about 1:75 for Mega Evolution Pokemon.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I'm still astounded that this isn't in S/V for whatever reason.
Probably because of how Spawns are determined.

In Legends Arceus, all spawns are determined when you enter an area. The only way to cause a pokemon to despawn is to scare it or defeat it.

While Scarlet/Violet is a fully open world so they probably couldn't do it that way. A shiny jingle would probably send people on wild goosehunts trying to find a pokemon that despawned just because they went too far away.

But there might have been some solutions, like maybe making the jingle play when a shiny appears on screen.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
It actually feels weird to me that Smash bros ultimate is tied to Pokemon Gen 7.

Like, i get that logically it makes sense because it came out in the last year of Gen 7, but it got so many updates over the few years afterwards that by the time the last updates for the game happened gen 8 was basically done.

Im not sure why im lingering on this, Melee came out just before Gen 3.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
It actually feels weird to me that Smash bros ultimate is tied to Pokemon Gen 7.

Like, i get that logically it makes sense because it came out in the last year of Gen 7, but it got so many updates over the few years afterwards that by the time the last updates for the game happened gen 8 was basically done.

Im not sure why im lingering on this, Melee came out just before Gen 3.
Yeah. Out of all the shill picks they could have done I’m surprised they didn’t do a Gen 8 Pokémon.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Probably would have been Cinderace or Rillaboom anyway.
A little better, but not by much.

I'm a way bigger fan of the Paldea starters so I'm fine with their inevitable Smash inclusion :yoshi:

I know you're going to respond with "Well uhm actually I don't like them 🤓" but I simply do not care so either reply with something original or spare us both the hassle :073:

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Melmetal or Dragapult would have been sick smash picks. But Smash never bothers to think too much outside of the box for Pokémon. Which is a shame, because whatever Pokémon they out it, would probably soar in popularity.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Melmetal or Dragapult would have been sick smash picks. But Smash never bothers to think too much outside of the box for Pokémon. Which is a shame, because whatever Pokémon they out it, would probably soar in popularity.
Gholdengo, Pokemon 1000, would actually be a really dope Smash pick.

Reactions: Z25

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

I'm a way bigger fan of the Paldea starters so I'm fine with their inevitable Smash inclusion :yoshi:

I know you're going to respond with "Well uhm actually I don't like them 🤓" but I simply do not care so either reply with something original or spare us both the hassle :073:
My Gen 8 pick was Urshifu and my Gen 9 pick is Tinkaton. How’s that?

osby

Smash Obsessed

On the one hand, I'd love to see Quaquaval in Smash but it's probably going to be Meowscarada and I never quite warmed up to its design.

Noipoi

Howdy!
My Gen 8 pick was Urshifu and my Gen 9 pick is Tinkaton. How’s that?
Urshifu's alright, but when the other options include a rhythm based toxic rocker and a ghostly stealth bomber, a simple martial artist seems a bit basic.

Tinkaton's cool. Never liked it as much as everyone else seems too, but as long as you find a way to make her not so similar to Dedede I have no complaints. Make a running gag about how she wants to kill Falco or something.

On the one hand, I'd love to see Quaquaval in Smash but it's probably going to be Meowscarada and I never quite warmed up to its design.
Check the avi, I'd take Skeledirge over Meowscarada anyday.

But the croc is a fat **** who can barely move so I've accepted my fate. And a cat magician moveset would be interesting, at the very least.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Yeah. Out of all the shill picks they could have done I’m surprised they didn’t do a Gen 8 Pokémon.
My assumption for them not doing that is that most of Gen 8 was heavily focused on Gen 4 nostalgia and because Ultimate brought back so much content from past games they already had a Gen 4 Character and a Gen 4 stage so there was no need for Gen 8 anything.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Urshifu's alright, but when the other options include a rhythm based toxic rocker and a ghostly stealth bomber, a simple martial artist seems a bit basic.

Tinkaton's cool. Never liked it as much as everyone else seems too, but as long as you find a way to make her not so similar to Dedede I have no complaints. Make a running gag about how she wants to kill Falco or something.

Check the avi, I'd take Skeledirge over Meowscarada anyday.

But the croc is a fat **** who can barely move so I've accepted my fate. And a cat magician moveset would be interesting, at the very least.
I just think it’s so rare that a legendary Pokémon also has the appropriate size and body type for smash. Plus it could be a cool stance swap character.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
If I had to choose a gen 8 pokemon for smash I honestly would go with Inteleon, Not Only am I one of Inteleon's strongest soldiers but also it is the closest we could get to James Bond-esque character outside of like Agent 47.

For Gen 9 I would go with either Gholdengo, Skeledirge or Ogerpon, I am just a big fan of them.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Im in the camp that if Gen 9 gets a rep in smash its probably just going to be ScreamTail as a Jigglypuff echo fighter.

Because it would be an easy character to include. Like Pichu being a quick and easy piec of G2 representation in melee.

Top Bottom