• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

When do you expect a Switch Successor announcement?

• Total voters

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Discovered something:
If you sped up the E3 2018 trailer theme from Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, it sounds very similar to Hard Beat X Break Beat from that old Neptunia anime from 2013. Take a listen!
(Make sure that the Smash theme is on 1.25 or 1.5 speed)
Possible inspiration? I dunno.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I've always hated how scummy Palworld was for their blatant plagiarization, but if it's true that TPC is suing them for...being able to throw objects in game instead of all the blatant art theft that's pretty scummy to.

But also kind of baffling.

Shroob

Sup?
I've always hated how scummy Palworld was for their blatant plagiarization, but if it's true that TPC is suing them for...being able to throw objects in game instead of all the blatant art theft that's pretty scummy to.

It's one of those bizarre things in gaming.

For example, as someone who plays FGO, you're only able to level up your character's skills one rank at a time... because someone owns the patent for leveling up skills from level 1 to max level at once. Something as basic as leveling up a skill has someone who both owns the patent and would sue if someone were to use it, something that no one would think of as being anything other than a standard quality of life feature.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
It's one of those bizarre things in gaming.

For example, as someone who plays FGO, you're only able to level up your character's skills one rank at a time... because someone owns the patent for leveling up skills from level 1 to max level at once. Something as basic as leveling up a skill has someone who both owns the patent and would sue if someone were to use it, something that no one would think of as being anything other than a standard quality of life feature.
Suing for genuine plagiarism like stolen art, song, models, game builds or other assets is one thing.

But there is absolutely zero reason in existence that there should be patents for game mechanics, especially something as basic and common as features in a leveling system.

Shroob

Sup?
Suing for genuine plagiarism like stolen art, song, models, game builds or other assets is one thing.

But there is absolutely zero reason in existence that there should be patents for game mechanics, especially something as basic and common as features in a leveling system.
You're 100% right.

But what do they say? Truth is stranger than ficition?

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Gaming patents are dumb lol.

A while back EA got sued by Sega because they made a Simpsons Crazy Taxi clone. The issue wasn't the clone itself, but rather... they used an arrow above the car.

And Sega owned the patent for arrows in driving games.

Edit: that's actually why every driving game you see nowadays uses a map and locator system

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

Claiming artwork infringement isn’t as successful as patent infringement tbf

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Yeah Pokemon and Nintendo haven't done anything questionable for a little while so of course throwing balls at mythical monsters is their priority to sue.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Btw, while it's says patent lawsuit, it's probably more than that. Plagarism is pretty tough to prove unless blatant, but if a company wants you gone, they'll find any technicality for grounds for a lawsuit. There's other monster catching games where you throw balls at mythical creatures, but are in good standing.

Chances are Palworld been on the radar for a while and they use the patent infringment as their "aha gotcha" lawsuit.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
All that I understand about the lawsuit is it's not because it's just another monster taming game. Multiple monster taming games have been on Nintendo consoles over the years and no actions have been taken from the company (heck. Nintendo has been the publisher of the Yo-Kai Watch games outside of Japan)

It seems to be that it's a much bigger issue we're dealing with.

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I spent the last couple hours trying to get a platform to move and for my player to move with it.

Why did I have an easier time with Unreal than Unity this week

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I can't believe that I am saying this, but the infamous Twitter user Pyoro made two new tweets today.

First tweet says "rah" and the second saying "pih"

I'm not sure if these are actually leaks this time as their profile pic and username are still blanked out and all previous tweets were deleted long ago.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Running from the cops in Stardust Speedway.
Hey guy, your thoughts on this?

It doesn’t look like he wants to call it quits easily. If this is true, I wonder when the Ninteninjas will get him?

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Hey guy, your thoughts on this?

It doesn’t look like he wants to call it quits easily. If this is true, I wonder when the Ninteninjas will get him?
Screenshot_20240919_103611.jpg

We're so back…

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Oh dang, today is my one year hormone anniversary.

Feels like I've been on them forever now. But I've still got a while to go before I'm comfortable enough with my appearance to socially transition. Oh well, I'm not in a rush.

I will say. I need more irl queer friends. Online spaces can be so filled with brain rot sometimes. Sometimes the brain rot leaks into real life but hey it's still probably better then online in a lot of cases.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Gaming patents are dumb lol.

A while back EA got sued by Sega because they made a Simpsons Crazy Taxi clone. The issue wasn't the clone itself, but rather... they used an arrow above the car.

And Sega owned the patent for arrows in driving games.

Edit: that's actually why every driving game you see nowadays uses a map and locator system
Dont forget the dumb "only we can have mini games on loading screens"
Its good to know every video game company pulled that patent stuff
Btw, while it's says patent lawsuit, it's probably more than that. Plagarism is pretty tough to prove unless blatant, but if a company wants you gone, they'll find any technicality for grounds for a lawsuit. There's other monster catching games where you throw balls at mythical creatures, but are in good standing.

Chances are Palworld been on the radar for a while and they use the patent infringment as their "aha gotcha" lawsuit.
I think they are going the "The patent part will probably fail but then they will look into the blatent plagiarism" route

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I think they are going the "The patent part will probably fail but then they will look into the blatent plagiarism" route
Nah that's real costly to have an extra lawsuit intended to fail just to get to that, the reason it took so long is likely cause they wanted to be as thorough as possible to make sure they have enough evidence to prove it in court before making it official. Plus, patents are an absolutely ***** in court, iirc Nintendo got ****ed by em a good while back with the 3ds infringing on some Philips patent so they for sure know what they're dealing with here

Dukefire

Smash Master
Nah that's real costly to have an extra lawsuit intended to fail just to get to that, the reason it took so long is likely cause they wanted to be as thorough as possible to make sure they have enough evidence to prove it in court before making it official. Plus, patents are an absolutely ***** in court, iirc Nintendo got ****ed by em a good while back with the 3ds infringing on some Philips patent so they for sure know what they're dealing with here
Placing a lawsuit REQUIRES research. Which could take months or even years to get the needed evidence to file one. So, Nintendo doing it after Palworld went live for almost 9 months now might be enough.

TBH, I played it to a point where I'm getting to more advanced technology as Iron Ingots and High Quality Oil are required. If they happen to shutdown eventually, I can say it was a good run and I'll miss the experience.

I'm more of a casual player rather than a speedrun or competitive players out for glory. I feel that's a waste of time when enjoying the growth is what matters more while finding yourself IRL.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I remember there was a cool mechanic that WB used at some point of time, and it ruled. Was truly a game changer and innovated the genre.

Only caveat is the game didn't do so well and also the mechanic was patented so no there is no sequel and also nobody can use it at all.

A good mechanic gone straight to waste.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Placing a lawsuit REQUIRES research. Which could take months or even years to get the needed evidence to file one. So, Nintendo doing it after Palworld went live for almost 9 months now might be enough
That was what I meant, they took their time and went in this direction instead of some bogus lawsuit to try and weasel their way to the real issue like Ace Attorney or some ****, they know what they're doing
I remember there was a cool mechanic that WB used at some point of time, and it ruled. Was truly a game changer and innovated the genre.

Only caveat is the game didn't do so well and also the mechanic was patented so no there is no sequel and also nobody can use it at all.

A good mechanic gone straight to waste.
The Nemesis system right? I thought the Shadows of Mordor or whatever games did pretty well, I think those devs are now working on a Wonder Woman game using it? Could be misremembering

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
the Nintenjias always be crazy…but do was that Sparking Zero roster hot damn Dragon Ball be cooking

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Oh dang, today is my one year hormone anniversary.

Feels like I've been on them forever now. But I've still got a while to go before I'm comfortable enough with my appearance to socially transition. Oh well, I'm not in a rush.

I will say. I need more irl queer friends. Online spaces can be so filled with brain rot sometimes. Sometimes the brain rot leaks into real life but hey it's still probably better then online in a lot of cases.
Congrats!

i'm not jealous i'm not jealous i'm not jealous i'm not jealous i'm not jealous i'm not jealous i'm not jealo

Top Bottom