• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

When do you expect a Switch Successor announcement?

• Total voters

Dukefire

Smash Master
Just to cure the boredom a bit. Rivals of Aether II is coming next month on October 23. Some returning with a few new ones in a more 3D look and VAs for said characters.

Also, Shantae Risky Revolution will be arriving in the month of October as well for the GBA pre-orders first.
Screenshot_20240918_164953_YouTube.jpg

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Nintendo and The Pokémon Company are suing the company that made Palworld for patent infringement.
I thought Palworld was fun and neat but lmfao

It’s low key kind of fair given those designs, especially when there was an investigation going on that several pal designs used literal Pokemon models as their base. Which if true was a big mistake

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Next Smash gonna cut Toon and Young Link and add Toy Link instead.
I feel like both of them are too popular for "Toy" Link to replace at least one or the other.

Young Link's got OoT fans for being the younger version of the Link from what's often considered the definitive Zelda game as well as fans of his gameplay in Ultimate, and Toon Link's got fans of WW and it's sequels (the former of which at least has become immensely popular since it's initial release) and the artstyle seems to be far more-liked by fans and considered more marketable by Nintendo than the "toy" style does.

Whether the next Smash game just has Toon Link or Young Link rather than both again, though, that I think is a question that's still up in the air.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
What exactly are they suing them for? Yeah, it has a very similar artstyle, but did they actually steal or something?
According to the press release (See here), the lawsuit is based on the fact Palworld infringed on Patent Rights.

A quick search showed me multiple characters that look extremely similar to Pokémon (one was a retextured Lilligant for example).

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
According to the press release (See here), the lawsuit is based on the fact Palworld infringed on Patent Rights.

A quick search showed me multiple characters that look extremely similar to Pokémon (one was a retextured Lilligant for example).
Ah, so it's looks like plagiarism and not simply eliminating the competition.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804
Patent Rights generally don't include character designs because you can't really copyright design elements, granted Palworld more or less directly ripped Pokemon assets to kitbash the majority of their creatures together.

It's likely for something else.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Ah, so it's looks like plagiarism and not simply eliminating the competition.
Patent Rights generally don't include character designs because you can't really copyright design elements, granted Palworld more or less directly ripped Pokemon assets to kitbash the majority of their creatures together.

It’s this:

Essentially dataminers found the game seemed to steal rigs from Pokemon models and built over them. Which if true, is stealing assets on top of very similar designs. So they screwed up big time if that’s the case.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I guess it's safe to say a Switch/Switch 2 port of Palword isn't happening
Nintendo earns the right to all palworld mons and rebrands half of them as convergent forms after the lawsuit. Giving us a bigger a bigger Pokedex next time. That way the game exists still sort of.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I feel like both of them are too popular for "Toy" Link to replace at least one or the other.

Young Link's got OoT fans for being the younger version of the Link from what's often considered the definitive Zelda game as well as fans of his gameplay in Ultimate, and Toon Link's got fans of WW and it's sequels (the former of which at least has become immensely popular since it's initial release) and the artstyle seems to be far more-liked by fans and considered more marketable by Nintendo than the "toy" style does.

Whether the next Smash game just has Toon Link or Young Link rather than both again, though, that I think is a question that's still up in the air.
B..but my son Toon Link D:
keep Tink and ditch Yink. The OoT/MM section can keep being repped by Sheik

Noipoi

Howdy!
I don't get why Beast Boy is a vegetarian. His argument is that "he's bean most of those animals" but like... most of those animals eat other animals.
He’s thinking from the perspective of those animals. He’s probably been a chicken a few times, and he’s imagining himself getting his head chopped off, plucked, shoved into a grinder, fried, frozen, and turned into microwave chicken tenders.

Suddenly it’s not very appetizing.

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace

I was reading into it on Reddit and some legal folks think that the patent violation is most likely this one:

patents.justia.com/patent/20230191255

This patent was filed by Nintendo right before Legends: Arceus came out:

"In a first mode, an aiming direction in a virtual space is determined based on a second operation input, and a player character is caused to launch, in the aiming direction, an item that affects a field character disposed on a field in the virtual space, based on a third operation input. In a second mode, the aiming direction is determined, based on the second operation input, and the player character is caused to launch, in the aiming direction, a fighting character that fights, based on the third operation input."

Overall, I think that patent laws like these are pretty ****ty, but unfortunately that's just how the industry is at large.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
one episode into Agatha All Along…well damn…Aubrey wasn’t joking about this being the gayest MCU project

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I got commissioned to draw Kasane Teto (the red one who was in Mesmerizer) in her UTAU outfit.

I am very happy. While in bed last night, I kept thinking about it for a bit while playing Kasane Territory in my head on repeat, hyping myself up xD

I’m still not very confident in my skills, but I got a nice and sweet idea for the drawing and hopefully I can make it reality. I’ve already sketched most of her head, at least.

Last edited:
Reactions: ---

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
****ing hell those first 2 Agatha episodes were amazing

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Is Nintendo brave enough to use Sabrina Carpenter's "Espresso" for the Switch 2 reveal trailer?
As the lyrics say, "Switch it up like Nintendo!".

Reactions: Z25

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Dunno how I feel about the Palworld lawsuit. I don't care about Palworld myself but it feels like TPC is kinda shooting their PR in the foot with this considering how many people love the game

Also if this is indeed about game mechanics and not asset theft then I'm gonna be fairly disappointed as a game designer. Patenting game mechanics is cringe

Top Bottom