• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Favorite announcement of this Direct?

• Total voters

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Add the superior character instead: Kulche from Loco Roco

Okay, serious answer: I think adding characters from MMOs is not easy. There are some important characters but the protag is a customizable avatar iirc. Maybe just do what the first game did with Resistance and give it a stage instead?
I went with Cayde-6. When in doubt, go to the wiki and find which character's page is visited the most.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I want to complete Specter of Torment 100% but it's been so long since I've played the game that I'd kind of like to experience the story and most of the levels semi-blind again. I know all the major points of the story, but I don't remember much of the dialogue and I barely remember most of the levels.

Should I try to complete the one save file I already have for Specter of Torment first (to clarify, I beat the main story and got most, but absolutely not all of the Red Skulls on that save file years ago years ago; I'm also still missing some purchasable armors and upgrades, and haven't completed a few things that I suppose count as side quests) or should I start a brand new save file for the Specter Knight campaign and try to beat it 100% starting from scratch?

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
psas stadium roster.png
Redid/shrunk my PlayStation All-Stars 2 roster. The Bottom row is DLC, the characters with purple names are clones/Echo Fighters.

The following characters are also Alph/Hero style "Premier Skins" which change the announcer dialogue and have different voice clips.
  • Princess Muffintop (Princess Plump)
  • Sackgirl (Sackboy)
  • Jimmy (Spike)
  • Yumi (Kei)
  • Kuro (Toro Inoue)
  • Nephilim Dante (Dante)
And yes, this is the roster that got me on that tangent about weird characters vs. iconic characters.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Tbf the brainrot of today's kids is not our brainrot, their brainrot content lasts in the form of short, made to order videos that lasy about 20 seconds. Kinda hard to keep kids attention spans when that's what they're competing with.

I think the Mario Movie directors and producers said the same thing which is why the movie is constantly in your face with little breaks.
I don't want to get all doomer but it's kind of disturbing to see what short form videos do to attention spans.

Back in 1991 we had The Simpsons being on point when Lisa said this, "It’s not our fault our generation has short attention spans, Dad, we watch an appalling amount of TV."

Things have only gotten worse.
....We're getting old. These are animators and cynical businessmen saying kids have horrible attention spans. Not credible children's psychologist.

And here we are going "this newfangled hip thing is destroying children's attention spans" like that isn't something grown ups have been saying since the dawn of time.

Like okay, Tiktok and social media as a whole are designed to steal people's attention and keep them hooked. But I'm not sure I see any reason to believe kids are being effected by this in a way different then us adults are.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I want to complete Specter of Torment 100% but it's been so long since I've played the game that I'd kind of like to experience the story and most of the levels semi-blind again. I know all the major points of the story, but I don't remember much of the dialogue and I barely remember most of the levels.

Should I try to complete the one save file I already have for Specter of Torment first (to clarify, I beat the main story and got most, but absolutely not all of the Red Skulls on that save file years ago years ago; I'm also still missing some purchasable armors and upgrades, and haven't completed a few things that I suppose count as side quests) or should I start a brand new save file for the Specter Knight campaign and try to beat it 100% starting from scratch?
I'd start a new file to build up that muscle memory again

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
....We're getting old. These are animators and cynical businessmen saying kids have horrible attention spans. Not credible children's psychologist.

And here we are going "this newfangled hip thing is destroying children's attention spans" like that isn't something grown ups have been saying since the dawn of time.

Like okay, Tiktok and social media as a whole are designed to steal people's attention and keep them hooked. But I'm not sure I see any reason to believe kids are being effected by this in a way different then us adults are.
I work in education so I think I at least have some experience to back up what I'm saying.

My point with bringing up The Simpsons is that yes, this has been noticed, even by wider society for some time. Things are getting worse because just about every screen these days is an access point to something with an algorithm designed to keep you watching. There are plenty of studies showing that excessive screen time can lead to language delays, short attention spans and other problems. It's not a new problem but its an old one that's more exacerbated than ever before.

osby

Smash Obsessed
View attachment 392253Redid/shrunk my PlayStation All-Stars 2 roster. The Bottom row is DLC, the characters with purple names are clones/Echo Fighters.

The following characters are also Alph/Hero style "Premier Skins" which change the announcer dialogue and have different voice clips.
  • Princess Muffintop (Princess Plump)
  • Sackgirl (Sackboy)
  • Jimmy (Spike)
  • Yumi (Kei)
  • Kuro (Toro Inoue)
  • Nephilim Dante (Dante)
And yes, this is the roster that got me on that tangent about weird characters vs. iconic characters.
It's not bad at all, there are some characters I really like and think a sequel should include like Tomba and Prince of All Cosmos aside from the more predictable picks. I think there are far too many third parties and could have more interesting Sony IPs represented but that's a personal preference.

On another note, how would Chloe and Nadine work as a duo? I only recently started Uncharted 3 so I don't know much about those two.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed

I mean I never said that it doesn't affect adults, just that kids media today has to not only compete with other shows, but short order attention grabbing videos which is not something that was nearly widespread back when our gen was kids. So the enviroment changed to reflect that.

Also, there is actual belief that short term made to order videos and social media does actually have a negative affect on attention spans, at least in the short term. Not proven per say, but there is belief of a correlation.
Source 1
Source 2
Source 3

And other studies extend back to Gen Z days so it's not like adults weren't affected, it's just under heavy scrutiny now cause things like TikTok, IG Reels, and YT Shorts exist and take the world by storm.

It's not the kid's fault though. People say they gotta go outside and all but they really don't got a place to go, the Chuck E. Cheese's of the world are all disappearing or been priced out for them. Parent's aren't parenting their kids, schools are dropping basic curriculum like phonics because politics, etc. Sad to see.

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I mean I never said that it doesn't affect adults, just that kids media today has to not only compete with other shows, but short order attention grabbing videos which is not something that was nearly widespread back when our gen was kids. So the enviroment changed to reflect that.

Also, there is actual belief that short term made to order videos and social media does actually have a negative affect on attention spans, at least in the short term. Not proven per say, but there is belief of a correlation.
Source 1
Source 2
Source 3

And other studies extend back to Gen Z days so it's not like adults weren't affected, it's just under heavy scrutiny now cause things like TikTok, IG Reels, and YT Shorts exist and take the world by storm.

It's not the kid's fault though. People say they gotta go outside and all but they really don't got a place to go, the Chuck E. Cheese's of the world are all disappearing or been priced out for them. Parent's aren't parenting their kids, schools are dropping basic curriculum like phonics because politics, etc. Sad to see.
****, I talked the other day about how it's hard for me to enjoy JRPGs and I'm pretty sure it has something to do with that. My brain isn't used to not getting instant gratification and dopamine injections and the result is that my ability to focus is damaged. I'm not saying short form content is the only reason for my shorter attention span, I've been diagnosed with ADD since 1st grade but it definitely didn't help my ability to focus

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
****, I talked the other day about how it's hard for me to enjoy JRPGs and I'm pretty sure it has something to do with that. My brain isn't used to not getting instant gratification and dopamine injections and the result is that my ability to focus is damaged. I'm not saying short form content is the only reason for my shorter attention span, I've been diagnosed with ADD since 1st grade but it definitely didn't help my ability to focus
I mean I didn't have social media until I was a senior in high school, and I'm still privy to falling into the brainrot IG Reels trap for hours. My parents fall into the Facebook Reels or whatever they call it trap, my mom's attention span is a goldfish some days. I hate it lol.

Pink Yoshi

Smash Champion
Pink Yoshi-verse Deadly Six loredrop time: here are their favorite music artists IMO

Zavok - Swans
Zazz - Death Grips
Zomom - Lemon Demon, but he can vibe with about anything
Master Zik - The Beatles
Zeena - Post Malone (as I've mentioned)
Zor - The Cure

Jondolio

Smash Hero
The most unrealistic thing about Pokémon Sword and Shield's terrible story is that there's a CEO who cares about future generations.

This was a random thought I had because of the heat, I have some strong words for Mr. John Climate Change

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
It's not bad at all, there are some characters I really like and think a sequel should include like Tomba and Prince of All Cosmos aside from the more predictable picks. I think there are far too many third parties and could have more interesting Sony IPs represented but that's a personal preference.

On another note, how would Chloe and Nadine work as a duo? I only recently started Uncharted 3 so I don't know much about those two.
They have their own game, Lost Legacy, that’s entirely about the two of them working together. I imagine them being like… you actively control Chloe and give Nadine commands with one of the specials that influences her behavior. And Nadine could be on a completely different platform than you. I think having a character who’s hitbox is split up like that could be interesting.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Shin Megami Tensei Liberation Dx2 will have a Madoka Magica collaboration - which makes a lot of sense.

Madoka, Homura, and Walpurgisnacht will be summonable demons.

Top Bottom