• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Favorite announcement of today's double Direct feature

• Balatro: Friends of Jimbo update

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Neva

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Coffee Talk Tokyo

• Powerwash Simulator Shrek DLC

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Date Everything!

• Pizza Tower

Votes: 13 43.3%
  • Other (Indie World)

• Tetris Forever + NES Tetris on NSO + Tetris 99 Cup

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • The Legend of Heroes Trial in the Sky the 1st

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Spongebob Squarepants: The Patrick Star Game

• Fitness Boxing 3

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Capcom Fighting Collection 2

Votes: 16 53.3%
  • Atelier Yumia: The Alchemist of Memories & The Envisioned Land

• Castlevania Dominus Collection

Votes: 12 40.0%
  • MySims Cozy Bundle

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Rune Factory: Guardians of Azuma

• Yakuza Kiwami

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Other (Partner Showcase)

• Nothing in Either

• The Sonic 3 Trailer

Votes: 15 50.0%

• Total voters

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
View attachment 384470

Mutant Mayhem was really a fun time and Seth Rogan is funni
I mean, it's having it's moments but i'm really sensitive to gross out stuff so every time it happens I take Rogan's name in vain like someone watching iCarly curses Dan Schneider.

Also, Splinter not having any connection to Hamato Yoshi or Martial Arts, either as his pet or the man himself, before mutation is still stupid. Him becoming a powerful sensei after just watching movies and instructional videos might be funny on paper, but it's also a fundamental part of the world building and you generally aren't supposed to make those jokes.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I mean, it's having it's moments but i'm really sensitive to gross out stuff so every time it happens I take Rogan's name in vain like someone watching iCarly curses Dan Schneider.
Skill issue
Also, Splinter not having any connection to Hamato Yoshi or Martial Arts, either as his pet or the man himself, before mutation is still stupid. Him becoming a powerful sensei after just watching movies and instructional videos might be funny on paper, but it's also a fundamental part of the world building and you generally aren't supposed to make those jokes.
I greatly prefer Splinter being a man who turned into a rat instead of a rat who learned martial arts by himself because that just kinda pushes the limit of my suspension of disbelief, even in a world where mutants and aliens exist.

But if they’re going with the backstory of him being an actual rat who became more human, I think him learning martial arts through corny DVDs is a funny way of explaining how he knows this stuff. Not my preferred Splinter origin, but I think it works for this take on the characters.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I had Makoto ask Takaya why he doesn’t wear a shirt, and his response was
my jacket is invisible to fools
way to make a Persona 3 character with no personality into a badass. Strega getting that great treatment in Reload

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Skill issue

I greatly prefer Splinter being a man who turned into a rat instead of a rat who learned martial arts by himself because that just kinda pushes the limit of my suspension of disbelief, even in a world where mutants and aliens exist.

But if they’re going with the backstory of him being an actual rat who became more human, I think him learning martial arts through corny DVDs is a funny way of explaining how he knows this stuff. Not my preferred Splinter origin, but I think it works for this take on the characters.
To be fair, i got to the 50 minute mark and then a friend interrupted me with a phone call so something like this might happen later in the movie and I just haven't seen it yet so take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt.

I like it when TMNT actually explores real principles of Ninjitsu and elements of Japanese culture. One of the reasons this gets me is because like... why Ninjas? If he's learning stuff the way they are why are they not the Boxing Turtles or the Capoera Turtles. And there are reasons why he would go with that. The stealth/hiding element. But the movie doesn't go into that (as far as I know) and instead it's just... a gag.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Bonus:

1. David Zaslav never saw the film.

2. Rumor has it there was never a bidding war for the film and it was said there would be just to save face.
I don’t know about the second one. We had multiple credible movie leakers saying that from the start before news of cancellation that multiple companies had tried to get the rights to the film before all of this.

Noipoi

Howdy!
To be fair, i got to the 50 minute mark and then a friend interrupted me with a phone call so something like this might happen later in the movie and I just haven't seen it yet so take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt.

I like it when TMNT actually explores real principles of Ninjitsu and elements of Japanese culture. One of the reasons this gets me is because like... why Ninjas? If he's learning stuff the way they are why are they not the Boxing Turtles or the Capoera Turtles. And there are reasons why he would go with that. The stealth/hiding element. But the movie doesn't go into that (as far as I know) and instead it's just... a gag.
The whole ninja thing is definitely because they need to hide in the shadows, that’s the whole point.

Now granted the movie doesn’t make a big deal about it but…I think that’s because it’s kind of obvious? Like everything doesn’t need to be spelled out, the audience is smart enough to come to that conclusion themselves.

And there will always be nitpickers who fuss over every detail, but people like that is how we got that godawful Beauty and the Beast remake, so I don’t pay any mind to them.

I like it when TMNT actually explores real principles of Ninjitsu and elements of Japanese culture.
I agree for the most part, but there are so many TMNT interpretations and there’s gonna be a million more, so I don’t mind if one incarnation of them doesn’t do every little thing I want.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
"Is it weird to have your head so far up Dad's butt?"
"Does it smell weird up there?"
"I bet it smells like cheese and Doritos."

Peak writing at its finest apparently...and this film gets a 95% on Rotten Tomatoes while the original gets 1990 film gets a 42%...

They also thought someone being killed was cool when Superfly might have killed innocent people and April tells them no it's not and their response? "It's still kinda cool". Are these four psychopaths???

Last edited:

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
Bonus:

1. David Zaslav never saw the film.

2. Rumor has it there was never a bidding war for the film and it was said there would be just to save face.
At this point I'm holding out hope that some insider at WB just says **** it and leaks the movie somewhere. It beats the alternative of having the movie destroyed.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Watching the Zelda Concert and I find it very funny after all of these years that they still only call the song "Breath Of the Wild: 2017 Nintendo Switch Presentation Trailer BGM" by that name.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Finally finished the movie… I stand by my initial statement that it’s ok. Its not amazing, certainly not the best thing to ever come out of the series or anything, and I may have nitpicks with some of the creative descisions, but it’s not an awful movie or anything.

Still not a fan of how it looks. I’m not a fan of the trend of spider-verse style cell shading stuff that’s been going on, and something about the specific art direction here just looks really ugly. Not to mention the really weird shapes they build the characters out of. The turtles and Superfly look alright but everyone else looks distorted in a really unappealing way (to me, if you like it that’s fine).

And that kind of segways into my major problem with it. The whole movie is just too gross. Like… the sense of humor, the character designs, the art direction… it’s just really unappealing. And like, I shouldn’t be pausing the movie to suppress actual physical gagging because of your gross out humor. Maybe I’m just too sensitive to that kind of thing but I can’t be the only one who had to take breaks because of this element. An element that really hasn’t been there in tmnt media before.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
God
I keep

Going full on conspiracy mode with myself

The Hyde to my Jekyll keeps bringing up how weird it is to be getting Spirit events now of all times.

It doesn't mean a damn thing but, with the Switch 2 presumably soo close....
Can't wait for Smashboards to become a Gamer™ website once again

Noipoi

Howdy!
God
I keep

Going full on conspiracy mode with myself

The Hyde to my Jekyll keeps bringing up how weird it is to be getting Spirit events now of all times.

It doesn't mean a damn thing but, with the Switch 2 presumably soo close....
I bet we see the next Smash in the next 2 years, honestly.

Can't wait for Smashboards to become a Gamer™ website once again
The Social Thread has established such a relaxed vibe, for the most part. I hope they keep it open while the dedicated Smash 6 thread is going crazy over chair colors and Walmart copyright leaks.

Pink Yoshi

Smash Champion
I don't even know HOW I'll feel if Smash 6 gets announced.

On the one hand, a new Smash is always exciting. On the other hand, there's likely gonna be cuts, including my main dragon boyo...plus the potential for more drama and insanity and I'd hate to end up in the middle of that.

I like having fun here, and I don't want Smash chaos to interrupt that. Simple as.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
The Social Thread has established such a relaxed vibe, for the most part. I hope they keep it open while the dedicated Smash 6 thread is going crazy over chair colors and Walmart copyright leaks.
Same, I legitimately don't think I can handle Smash speculation and all the people that come flooding in with it. This is basically my last safe haven on the internet and I don't want it to change too much

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Really the speculation is gonna be who doesn't get in more than ever, which is gonna get tribal far faster than discussing who gets in.

But deep down, the arguments are pointless because I think we all know who stays and who gets the boot.
No cuts. Cuts are bad… ok I could list a few characters I would want gone but I feel like that would start fights.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Running from the cops in Stardust Speedway.
No cuts. Cuts are bad… ok I could list a few characters I would want gone but I feel like that would start fights.
I am afraid there is going to be cuts in the next Smash Bros. After all, Sakurai himself said something about "Everyone is Here" being something that might not happen again, and I don't think it will happen again anytime soon.

Top Bottom