• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Have you ever played Super Smash Bros? It's kinda what they do.

Sakurai even bemoaned the fact that Olimar was the newest character added in Brawl, when Pikmin came out 7 years earlier. They want new, fresh heroes for the game.
I can name dozens of new Nintendo games from the time period of each smash release that got no rep
Greninja
Robin
Toon Link

You have forfeited your right to an opinion on Smash rosters. You may have it back after paying the fine, or writing a 5 page essay on why you were wrong.
I told you it would start fights.
oh. I forgot to include :ultincineroar: on the list.

Also switch out Squirtle and Ivysaur for Blastoise and Venusaur.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I can name dozens of new Nintendo games from the time period of each smash release that got no rep

I told you it would start fights.

I would like Blastoise and Venusar to replace Squirtle and Ivysaur respectively, but I think the latter two are there for balance purposes.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Yeah not every single release gets a character, obviously. Just the big ones, from the big franchises. Especially the ones with a rotating door of characters ripe for the picking.

Did I not just say you forfeited your right to discuss this?

Essay or fine, pay up.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
So fun fact: in every Smash game, the most recently debuted newcomer has always been a Pokemon or Fire Emblem character.

64 (1999) has Pikachu and Jigglypuff (1996)
Melee (2001) was Roy, whose debut was that game
Brawl (2008) was Lucario (2006)
Smash 4 (2014) was Greninja (2013), with Corrin (2015) being DLC
Ultimate (2018) was Incineroar (2016) and Byleth being DLC (2019)

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Yeah not every single release gets a character, obviously. Just the big ones, from the big franchises. Especially the ones with a rotating door of characters ripe for the picking.

Did I not just say you forfeited your right to discuss this?

Essay or fine, pay up.
I owe nobody any fine. I came here to speak my mind, rip off the bandage, and make enemies.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
So fun fact: in every Smash game, the most recently debuted newcomer has always been a Pokemon or Fire Emblem character.

64 (1999) has Pikachu and Jigglypuff (1996)
Melee (2001) was Roy, whose debut was that game
Brawl (2008) was Lucario (2006)
Smash 4 (2014) was Greninja (2013), with Corrin (2015) being DLC
Ultimate (2018) was Incineroar (2016) and Byleth being DLC (2019)
Yeah, and besides, don't you (this is not towards you, TheMightyP, but to SnakeFighter64) think that Smash Bros. would be boring if the series did not stay up to date with newer characters from newer games each installment?

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Also I'm sorry but Greninja and Robin are staying. The top Pokemon of the 3D era and the character that revived a dying franchise (and is still very popular to this day) cemented themselves as legacy characters.

Hell, Lucina can stay for the same reasons as Robin and wow this really is the speculation thread.

Also Byleth is staying too, yeah sorry Three Houses is still a top FE game.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Also Byleth is staying too, yeah sorry Three Houses is still a top FE game.
In hindsight I don’t even mind Byleth themselves I just think their reveal was kinda ass, left a sour taste in my mouth. Three Houses is my favorite FE though so I warmed up to them over time.

Corrin gotta go though I’m not sorry but Fates sucked

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
In hindsight I don’t even mind Byleth themselves I just think their reveal was kinda ass, left a sour taste in my mouth. Three Houses is my favorite FE though so I warmed up to them over time.

Corrin gotta go though I’m not sorry but Fates sucked
Byleth was underwhelming as a reveal given that he was hyped up to be the last character. I didn't hate his inclusion but it was obvious and would have been better off if he was like in the middle of FP1.

And then they announced DLC pack 2, which softed the blow.

Corrin is gone though, not a popular game nor character.

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
You know what's going to suck about speculation for the next Smash game?

Dealing with hoaxes made with AI.
Dall-E, generate a Smash Bros Showdown collectors edition box, generate the full roster on the side, leave the last three spaces black, post on 4chan and say that the boxart for the collectors edition leaked

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
There’s gonna be one that looks just convincing enough.

And people are gonna fight like their lives depend on it.
If there's one thing I've learned from Smash speculation over the years, it's "don't trust any supposed leaks that don't have video evidence, and even then, take it with a massive grain of salt". (the whole ArtsyOmni Rayman situation has me doubting video footage at this point, especially as people get better at modding Smash games)

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
If there's one thing I've learned from Smash speculation over the years, it's "don't trust any supposed leaks that don't have video evidence, and even then, take it with a massive grain of salt". (the whole ArtsyOmni Rayman situation has me doubting video footage at this point, especially as people get better at modding Smash games)
Yeah, I have learned something like that myself. I don't normally trust leaks without good evidence behind them, and taking leaks with a very large grain of salt is always a good idea.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Noipoi Noipoi
An associate talked me into keeping Greninja and Byleth in exchange for ditching Roy, Squirtle, and Ivysaur (leaving an extra space open for another grass starter).

Also talking to them reminded me of how I wanted to ditch Zero Suit Samus.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Noipoi Noipoi
An associate talked me into keeping Greninja and Byleth in exchange for ditching Roy, Squirtle, and Ivysaur (leaving an extra space open for another grass starter).

Also talking to them reminded me of how I wanted to ditch Zero Suit Samus.
You...might want to pay the fine Noipoi Noipoi talked about, or do the essay.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, and besides, don't you (this is not towards you, TheMightyP, but to SnakeFighter64) think that Smash Bros. would be boring if the series did not stay up to date with newer characters from newer games each installment?
I always thought a character should have to prove they were “evergreen” before getting in. Prove they have a fanbase and that that fanbase isn’t just “this is the newest game in the series so of course it’s the most popular”. Smash might not actually work like that, but it’s how I’ve always felt it should and was the impression I got of the game when I first joined (at the launch of smash4).

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I always thought a character should have to prove they were “evergreen” before getting in. Prove they have a fanbase and that that fanbase isn’t just “this is the newest game in the series so of course it’s the most popular”. Smash might not actually work like that, but it’s how I’ve always felt it should and was the impression I got of the game when I first joined (at the launch of smash4).
Um, yeah...I don't see something like that happening, especially since you are not Sakurai. Plus, I would say things would get stale some if they did not add characters from new games. I mean, the latest trend and all is seemingly a big thing in any media nowadays, if you know what I mean.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
God
I keep

Going full on conspiracy mode with myself

The Hyde to my Jekyll keeps bringing up how weird it is to be getting Spirit events now of all times.

It doesn't mean a damn thing but, with the Switch 2 presumably soo close....
Nah they are like 95% working on smash ultimate the final brawl or something like that. There’s so much that aligns for it to just make sense.

Splat 2 was quiet with events then got one last event before 3 was announced.

MK8 got more because of tour and probably because 9 is coming.

Sakurai shuts his channel down to get back to work.

All smash amiibo are getting restocked and studio S announced.

Nintendo had to make new contract a for third party spirits. Something that makes no sense if they weren’t actively pursuing agreements for something else.

And honestly probably more I can’t think of atm.

Ultimately there is very likely a new smash game coming sooner then we think.

Top Bottom