• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Honestly, this captures my mood towards the “Mario’s Death Day” memes perfectly.
They’e perfectly fine, but after today, there’ll be practically be no real point to them since there’s still a bit of new Mario stuff coming out in the future (Golf hype!). Honestly, I’m just sort of apathetic to the whole thing.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Except Isabelle isn't that similar to Villager. She's got one special move that's the same... ok two but the swing is at least a different animation then villager's balloon fight hat. She's otherwise completely different.
Isabelle and Villager share their neutral special, up special, Final Smash, dash attack, forward tilt, down tilt, up air, down air, forward air, back air, and their grabs and throws.
Their side specials, down specials, up smashes, down smashes, forward smashes, up tilts, neutral airs, and jabs are unique.

Marth and Roy share their side special, down special, down tilt, dash attack, neutral air, forward air, back air, up air, down smash, and grabs and throws.
Their neutral specials, up specials, Final Smash, up smashes, forward smashes, forward tilts, up tilts, jabs, and down airs are unique.

If we count Isabelle's up special as unique due to a slight animation difference, then the same must be done for Marth and Roy's dash attacks.

Most people would call Roy a semiclone of Marth. Why, then, would Isabelle not be called a semiclone of Villager despite the fact that they have one fewer different move from Villager than Marth and Roy do from each other? Especially when Marth and Roy's general physics and playstyles are far more different from each other than Villager and Isabelle's are.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Isabelle and Villager share their neutral special, up special, Final Smash, dash attack, forward tilt, down tilt, up air, down air, forward air, back air, and their grabs and throws.
Their side specials, down specials, up smashes, down smashes, forward smashes, up tilts, neutral airs, and jabs are unique.

Marth and Roy share their side special, down special, down tilt, dash attack, neutral air, forward air, back air, up air, down smash, and grabs and throws.
Their neutral specials, up specials, Final Smash, up smashes, forward smashes, forward tilts, up tilts, jabs, and down airs are unique.

If we count Isabelle's up special as unique due to a slight animation difference, then the same must be done for Marth and Roy's dash attacks.

Most people would call Roy a semiclone of Marth. Why, then, would Isabelle not be called a semiclone of Villager despite the fact that they have one fewer different move from Villager than Marth and Roy do from each other? Especially when Marth and Roy's general physics and playstyles are far more different from each other than Villager and Isabelle's are.
Because you're either a clone or you're not. I'm tired of this whole semiclone hair splitting BS.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
In that case, then, who would you consider a clone besides the echo fighters?
Falco, Dr. Mario, Young Link, Pichu, and yes Roy. Isabelle has enough moves that are visually distinct for me to not count her. But IMO, all of the others I've listed should have that epsilon symbol next to their names. Which would mean Marth would have three echo fighters but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Well yes, but actually no...

An ox is a castrated bull.

The more accurate unisex term would be 'cattle'
Oxen are commonly castrated but it's not a total requirement to be considered an ox. Besides, cattle is a plural term.

noun

1. a castrated bull used as a draft animal.
    "laden wagons pulled by lowing oxen travel down to the coast"
    • any domesticated bovine animal kept for milk or meat; a cow or bull.
      noun: ox; plural noun: oxen

[*]used in names of wild animals related to or resembling a domesticated ox, e.g. musk ox.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Falco, Dr. Mario, Young Link, Pichu, and yes Roy. Isabelle has enough moves that are visually distinct for me to not count her. But IMO, all of the others I've listed should have that epsilon symbol next to their names. Which would mean Marth would have three echo fighters but let's not get ahead of ourselves.
So Roy is a clone but Isabelle isn't, despite Roy having more different moves from Marth than Isabelle does from Villager, and despite having something unique to him that radically changes his playstyle from the source character?

Yeah no. And that's not even getting into the amount of differences Falco has from Fox. Roy and Falco are objectively further removed from their source character than Isabelle is

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
So Roy is a clone but Isabelle isn't, despite Roy having more different moves from Marth than Isabelle does from Villager, and despite having something unique to him that radically changes his playstyle from the source character?

Yeah no. And that's not even getting into the amount of differences Falco has from Fox. Roy and Falco are objectively further removed from their source character than Isabelle is
..... yeah. Just as I suspected. Melee bias.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Literally WHAT are you talking about? How is the act of COUNTING indicative of "Melee bias" at all?
Because they've been around since Melee they're more unique in your mind then they actually are. Like... Falco has what? The twirly thing and he kicks his shield? Roy has what? His Neutral attack doesn't combo. And THAT'S different enough that they aren't clones.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Because they've been around since Melee they're more unique in your mind then they actually are. Like... Falco has what? The twirly thing and he kicks his shield? Roy has what? His Neutral attack doesn't combo. And THAT'S different enough that they aren't clones.
Snake, when was the last time you actually picked up and played these characters?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
"Melee Bias" has literally nothing to do with anything here. It was a matter of literally comparing attack animations between clone characters and tallying the differences. Falco and Roy's moves have far more unique animations among them than Isabelle's do in comparison to Villager.

Hell, by your own logic, Isabelle becomes less unique, because I wouldn't have counted her up tilt as being the same due to it not being a multihit, but you apparently think that isn't enough, so that's a knock against her.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Actually, Roy Neutral attack combo pretty well into his other moves, like Bair or Nair.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
No one is disputing that Melee Falco and Roy are clones, though. It's only in later games where they were actually given more differences that we argue this.

Almost all of Falco's aerials are visually distinct from Fox now, plus his signature Up Tilt and F-Smash, and his lasers function completely differently. And his mobility stats are way different.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
"Melee Bias" has literally nothing to do with anything here. It was a matter of literally comparing attack animations between clone characters and tallying the differences. Falco and Roy's moves have far more unique animations among them than Isabelle's do in comparison to Villager.

Hell, by your own logic, Isabelle becomes less unique, because I wouldn't have counted her up tilt as being the same due to it not being a multihit, but you apparently think that isn't enough, so that's a knock against her.
i stand by my opinion that we didnt need the dog when we had Villager.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
So today is the day many Mario related things go buh bye. Let's recap shall we:

The Mario Game & Watch
Level Uploading on Mario Maker for Wii U
Mario 35
Mario 3D All Stars
The Mario 3 cartoon on Netflix
Fire Emblem

Truly a sad day...

Wait if Mario is dying how come he's getting a new Golf Game soon? That's a logical fallacy!

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Oxen are commonly castrated but it's not a total requirement to be considered an ox. Besides, cattle is a plural term.

noun

1. a castrated bull used as a draft animal.
    "laden wagons pulled by lowing oxen travel down to the coast"
    • any domesticated bovine animal kept for milk or meat; a cow or bull.
      noun: ox; plural noun: oxen

[*]used in names of wild animals related to or resembling a domesticated ox, e.g. musk ox.
It seems we both are right

"Historically, "ox" was not a sex-specific term for adult cattle, but generally this is now used only for working cattle, especially adult castrated males."
- according to Wikipedia

Unfortunately I can't access the actual source for this information since it requires some kind of subscription

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
i stand by my opinion that we didnt need the dog when we had Villager.
See that's where I hard disagree. I don't base a character's worth of inclusion on uniqueness. Isabelle may be objectively less unique than Roy or Falco, but if asked which of the three belongs in Smash the most I'd say Isabelle easily.

She's literally the face of one of Nintendo's S-tier franchises.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Wait what are we fighting about? I'm in the mood to rip and tear.
In the red corner:

SnakeFighter64 SnakeFighter64 145 pounds of pure, pink nerd rage. Don’t talk to her about gorillas, she will cry.

In the blue corner:

Opossum Opossum the 2.7 pound western marsupial. Was pronounced dead 14 times, each time was fake. When he finally does die no one will believe it.

The topic:

Clones and Semiclones.

FIGHT

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
In the red corner:

SnakeFighter64 SnakeFighter64 145 pounds of pure, pink nerd rage. Don’t talk to her about gorillas, she will cry.

In the blue corner:

Opossum Opossum the 2.7 pound western marsupial. Was pronounced dead 14 times, each time was fake. When he finally does die no one will believe it.

The topic:

Clones and Semiclones.

FIGHT
I actually weigh 306 lbs FYI. I love that I radiate skinny energy on here though.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Note to self: Don't look up stuff related to Lisa: The Painful if you're feeling down, it will make you mostly (key word here) depressed.

On another note...
In the red corner:

In the blue corner:

The topic:

Clones and Semiclones.

FIGHT
MORTAL KOMBAAAAAAAAAAAAT

du-du-du-du-dun~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom