• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Snake FAQ/Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpak

Smash Lord
Sometimes when I fair the person goes up, is this because they are DIing up/rising? How long do C4s last till they blow up?

6Mizu

Smash Champion
Somewhere in the SubspaceEmissary(NC, Morrisville)
1. Sometimes when I fair the person goes up, is this because they are DIing up/rising?

2. How long do C4s last till they blow up?
1. No, this means that you did not sweet spot your Fair. Fair can send your opponent up or down depending on which part of the Hit-box you hit your opponent with.

2. From what I remember, C4 last either 26 or 27 seconds before detonation. But, once you've played Snake long enough it's becomes your 6th sense you'll know when it'll disappear even if you don't pay attention to it.

jpak

Smash Lord
Thanks a lot, and is there somewhere where I can read about the extended hitboxes on certain maps? When hit vertically should I use dair or uair? How do I measure a "frame," or what would it look like it, why is this used over a measurement like seconds?

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Okay, so you know that rare instance when you're caught underneath the stage while cyphering, and you want to C4, but you usually die before you can hit yourself?

Is getting c4 to work a matter of buffering, or what?

-Ran

Smash Master
You need to cancel out of the Cypher as it is still on the rising action if you're in a relatively low area. This gives you upwards momentum to start the C4 drop, and just enough space to do recovery. If you're stuck on the underlip of a stage, it's already too late since you're going to go straight down.

-Ran

Smash Master
Thanks a lot, and is there somewhere where I can read about the extended hitboxes on certain maps? When hit vertically should I use dair or uair? How do I measure a "frame," or what would it look like it, why is this used over a measurement like seconds?
1) There were some old threads floating around for the requirements to kill with a Mario F-smash on various maps from their center, and his upsmash. I don't know where they vanished off to. Most of the neutrals have around the same boundaries.

2) Dair is only good out of a tech chase when you read that they are going to do nothing, or a get up attack. Up Air is used when you're reading an air dodge, or when you are platform dropping below them. It's like your own personal mini-Up Tilt.

3) 1 frame = 1/60th of a second. Frames are a reference to the animations used for individual moves. Each iteration of the motion is done in frames.

jpak

Smash Lord
So how can someone be so precise as to say perform the an attack in the last 10 frames of an attack, isn't that really strict timing? Oh I also meant to momentum cancel when hit vertically, should I use dair or uair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZLXiCK1_5k&feature=related at 3:38 how does Ally live through his own mine after the fthrow?

Reading your opponent is more about where he will go rather than what move he will use right?

Thanks.

-Ran

Smash Master
So how can someone be so precise as to say perform the an attack in the last 10 frames of an attack, isn't that really strict timing? Oh I also meant to momentum cancel when hit vertically, should I use dair or uair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZLXiCK1_5k&feature=related at 3:38 how does Ally live through his own mine after the fthrow?

Reading your opponent is more about where he will go rather than what move he will use right?

Thanks.
1) Practice yields precision. Brawl also has a 10 frame buffer that you can use to add greater control over what you're doing. Buffering is done by inputing an action before it logically would be possible to do within a ten frame window, so that the moment it CAN be done, it is.
2) Uair while fast falling if memory serves me right. Dair allows for the auto-fastfall, but is a longer move.
3) Ally didn't hit his mine, his tumble animation narrowly missed it.
4) Reading becomes easier the more you play the game. Due to the spacing limitations of each character, you learn what is the best option in each situation against your character by your opponent. Once you know their best option, you can weigh it against your own options, and work on putting yourself into a superior position.

2) Uair while fast falling if memory serves me right. Dair allows for the auto-fastfall, but is a longer move.

Whatever you do, do not get into the habit of using C-stick Dair. You eventually start doing it instictively and it will then become extremely hard to break. And, it's a habit you will have to break eventually as Dair is really too long of a move to use.

Simply start out FF Uair or Bair. There is debate over which is better, but either is really could enough. Once you get that down, you do not have to do anything else.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
I think compete with our camping is one of the very few things Link has on us, although his projectiles themselves are slow.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Mines- Disappear after 25 seconds

against Pika's chaingrab you can either blowyourself up to a decent percentage or try to keep a nade out more often (: the best option is to not get grabbed. However, that still happens. Just try to drop a grenade.

Navn

Smash Apprentice
Try to be ultra-campy against Pikachu when you are in the danger-zone %-wise. Remember that your jab can cancel out his thunder jolts.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
what about trying to keep a mine on the end of a stage and only fighting him from there? so if he does grab you, the mine will stop his inf.
Thing is that the pikachu will probably just send a random thunderjolt out to blow up the mine. :/ If you can keep that from happening, that is a good idea.

messing around today with c4 to see if i could implement them in my game more and ran across some stuff that people might already know. When a samus was in front of me I tried to sticky it. But before it could it rolled across me to my back. But oddly the c4 still stuck to samus. just wondering if that is know to people. And when you try and c4 the bottom of the stage(samurai panda has a vid somewhere) the c4 explosion does not go up but instead explodes perpendicular to the slant of the lip of the stage. Yes if you practice you will be able to c4 the stage bottom consistently and I'm thinking this could mess with characters who like to recover from under the stage, planking fools and a few other applications. The question is whether is it worth have it there instead of an other area of the map. and it hits throught the stage to hit a person standing above it on stage. Discuss

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
Cincinnati, Ohio ; Land of Happiness and Kindness
NNID
Daylightful
Well, if you think about it the C4 is placed underneath the stage upside-down. So it will explode upside-down.

Else wise, I don't see that many people do it nor do I do it. It's a good tip to know and to be fancy, but you'd have to think when do you have the free time to set that up without getting killed.

@Fatal, Yeah. Dropping a grenade is a good idea. Having a grenade in hand or nearby and it exploding breaks the grab. You could also do best to not get grab and keep him away and be campy.

TommyDerMeister

Smash Lord
That's pretty much what the guide I'm working on Snake for is about.

Just to give you guys a taste, look at some of these places we can stick C4's. I took these pics myself:

Anytime C4 is on stage, I get nervous. Who knows when you will get cypher grabbed, or something similar where you need to C4 recover.

Anytime C4 is on stage, I get nervous. Who knows when you will get cypher grabbed, or something similar where you need to C4 recover.
You shouldn't be recovering anywhere near the stage when in cypher unless your opponent is on the other side of the stage. Its better to take the c4 damage then potentially get cypher grabbed. but if you have to recover close it isn't a 100% death you can c4 jump on most stages if not all just be clutch and practice recovering after. And i haven't and won't test it but after the release if you DI back towards the stage and the c4 is under the lip you may be able to hit yourself with the explosion. But im thinking this could be a deterrent to planking which so tournaments but I have seen the current pit MG and this could really scare them into staying on the f*&^ing stage.

-Ran

Smash Master
The only time I really recover low is if I'm on Yoshi's since I can just tech off the stage if they attack me.

.decoy

Smash Ace
can you c4 after the kind of cypher grab where you don't get grabbed->jump release you just fall straight down? i was under the impression that you can't, and thats how i always get cypher grabbed anyway. if at all that is.

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
NNID
Daylightful
Are you asking if you get grabbed while using Cypher can you C4? Why yes you can! That's when people attempt to do it the most! XP

Anyone played on the stage Duelist? Honestly! That's how I gotten better with teching with Snake and C4ing myself! Really good practice and fun.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
can you c4 after the kind of cypher grab where you don't get grabbed->jump release you just fall straight down? i was under the impression that you can't, and thats how i always get cypher grabbed anyway. if at all that is.
Yeah I don't think you can either, I was never able to do it if my cypher gets grabbed, too much ending lag on that cypher break.

Stray_

Smash Apprentice
I don't think it's possible without an air release, although it would be in some stages/situations

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
how do you get the momentum shift when you b reverse nikita?

oh, and i know how to wavebounce c4s to get that momentum shift but how do you do the one when you face the same direction w/o b-reversing?

y'kno what I mean? just dropping a c4 and having a backward momentum shift with snake still facing the same direction.

.decoy

Smash Ace
Are you asking if you get grabbed while using Cypher can you C4? Why yes you can! That's when people attempt to do it the most! XP

no i'm not. it was about when your cypher itself gets grabbed and you simply drop down.

Yeah I don't think you can either, I was never able to do it if my cypher gets grabbed, too much ending lag on that cypher break.
i thought so but it was worth asking.

how do you get the momentum shift when you b reverse nikita?

oh, and i know how to wavebounce c4s to get that momentum shift but how do you do the one when you face the same direction w/o b-reversing?

y'kno what I mean? just dropping a c4 and having a backward momentum shift with snake still facing the same direction.
to b reverse with momentum shift you input the command then input the reversal. so like. you're facing right, you nikita to the right then press left.

to b reversal a c4 with no momentum shift you the down diagonal of the direction you want to be facing + b.

Hist

Smash Cadet
Ike vs. Snake

im finding it impossible to geth through snakes projectiles :/
Can i get a link to a disscussion about this match up or something or can someone tell me the pros and cons of this fight .
Im the one using Ike

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
NNID
Daylightful
im finding it impossible to geth through snakes projectiles :/
Can i get a link to a disscussion about this match up or something or can someone tell me the pros and cons of this fight .
Im the one using Ike
I posted my tip in your thread. And Ran tried to help. I don't know if that many of us fight any Ikes. I know there are about two here but I rarely see them at all. Have you tried asking the Ike boards by any chance? There's a higher chance an Ike came across a Snake than a Snake coming across an Ike.

Never under any circumstance should you ever get ground released by a character. You can always force an air release by pressing some action that is read as a jump. Up on the control stick or c-stick, hitting the jump button, etc. So under that situation, it's possible to C4 recover from a cypher release. Just pull back towards the stage and C4 yourself as soon as possible.

The thing I believe yume is referring too is when your opponent grabs you near the edge, get's hit by the cypher breaking there hold on you thus causing you to fall straight away. In that situation, it is impossible to recover. However, I think that only happens given the proper port priority and if the cypher even manages to hit them in the first place.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
I actually didn't think of the port thing, I always use the higher port, could you test this using a lower port than your opponent?

That's going to be somewhat difficult to replicate. . . But, I'll give it a quick shot. 1/4 speed takes forever >_>

Take that back, one of the easier things to replicate. Port priority does nothing. If you dash-grab Snake at the ledge, you will almost always get hit by cypher causing it to break the hold sending Snake down to the depths. So, more reason ot never recover low with cypher, you will get killed.

I need to stop double posting >_>

I forgot to mention one thing. I did not test wether or not you could recover with C4 or not. So, that's still up in the air.

You're using two accounts >_>

If only I were you, I have right to double post. Lol.

Question:
When is f-air useful asides from punishing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom