• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Snake FAQ/Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had wanted an official critique thread too, but everyone else think that individual critique threads will gain more attention and therefore be better for the person being critiqued, which makes sense imo.
Plus, when you consider how often people actually used the original critique thread that was around, it seems even more unneeded to have a critique thread. Indiviual ones really do gain more attention, and they are infrequent enough we do not need a single thread to point them to.

Max113

Smash Apprentice
I'm just comparing these boards to the Ike boards...

Well... Prepare yourself...

Trump

Smash Rookie
These are some matches I played with Marz a good local sheik. Maybe they can help you out. :D We did 25 games and only three of them are uploaded so far =/ But it is all good :D

Don't try to copy my flashy stuff/ stupid stuff. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pqk8yeC2TA0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuM_yBDJ3m4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Kla3VntwWU

I need to learn more match ups than Diddy MK and IC's =/
It occurred to me after posting that FD might be part of the issue, but these help alot. Much thanks.

napZzz

Smash Hero
lol i played this good sheik from PR at pound 4, I barly beat em haha
alot of the (few) sheik mains think she's top tier and just lacks rep and have legitimate reasons to think so.

For the guy asking about sheik try shorthop tossing nades and mixing it up, walking with sheild to stop it and just out range/smart him close range I guess.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I think sheik is a seriously underrated character, I wouldn't say top tier, top tier is one character IMO <_< but I think her MU with snake is pretty even and I think I actually prefer playing it from sheik's side

I think the MU of Shiek and Snake is 60:40 Snake naturally but whenever it's a good match, I'd lean to 55:45. Shiek is fun to play against and to play as. I personally think the guide of Shiek should be names "How to be a Ninja" names after those funny videos of you know who o_-

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Depends on where they are trying attack you from. If from front I believe so(correct me if I am wrong.) If behind then no.

What the Frame Advantage on Snake's Ftilt? :confused:
EY Data:
Hits on: 4
Lasts: 32

SuSa Data:
Blockstun: 2
Blockhitlag: 6

On shield, it's a -32 frame move. -25 if you factor in shield dropping and attempts to jump oos. That is for Ftilt one only though.

The attack will cancel into Ftilt 2 as early as 7 frames after Ftilt 1 is launched (ignoring hitlag).

So, even though it has really bad frame advantage intially, the ability to wait or hit people if they try to attack again makes it pretty safe on shield for Snake to use.

6Mizu

Smash Champion
Somewhere in the SubspaceEmissary(NC, Morrisville)
EY Data:
Hits on: 4
Lasts: 32

SuSa Data:
Blockstun: 2
Blockhitlag: 6

On shield, it's a -32 frame move. -25 if you factor in shield dropping and attempts to jump oos. That is for Ftilt one only though.
Okay, so what does "-32" mean? Does that mean that for 35 frames your opponent can react to it or something? (I just made something up, i'm not sure what I'm talking about)

Okay, so what does "-32" mean? Does that mean that for 35 frames your opponent can react to it or something? (I just made something up, i'm not sure what I'm talking about)
It means that after ftilt hits a shield and hitlag/stun is factored in, it will take -32 frames for the move to end and the opponent has that amount of time to do something in there.

6Mizu

Smash Champion
Wow, really!?!?!
Soo...wait...after doing Snake's Ftilt1 on someone's shield they have 32 frames to do something out of shield?
well you have to factor in the time it takes to drop their shield and such
Answer that question.....does that mean there is 35 frames out of shield...for some one to do something?

Wow, really!?!?!
Soo...wait...after doing Snake's Ftilt1 on someone's shield they have 32 frames to do something out of shield?
well you have to factor in the time it takes to drop their shield and such
What Decoy has said. A person anytime doing something out of shield will take 7 frames. If they jump, it takes 7 frames to get airborn. If they drop shield it is also 7 frames to drop shield.

This gives someone 25 frames to launch some attack. But, you also have to keep in mind the second hit of Ftilt. If people drop shield too early they get hit by the 2nd hit. People are often times afraid to drop shield, so you can trick people into staying in the shield by simply Ftilting once.

Question:

Can Snake explode his grenades with a well-spaced f-tilt with out getting harmed?
Snake can in no way ever explode his own grenades except with another explosion. So, no. Ftilt will not explode his nades ever.

etecoon

Smash Hero
utilt could probably safely explode a grenade except it doesn't hit grenades that are on the same plane as snake anyway LOL

6Mizu

Smash Champion
What Decoy has said. A person anytime doing something out of shield will take 7 frames. If they jump, it takes 7 frames to get airborn. If they drop shield it is also 7 frames to drop shield.
This gives someone 25 frames to launch some attack. But, you also have to keep in mind the second hit of Ftilt. If people drop shield too early they get hit by the 2nd hit. People are often times afraid to drop shield, so you can trick people into staying in the shield by simply Ftilting once.
The part I underlined is stuff I knew a while ago. But, I simply wanted to know if someone really had 32 frames to re act to it.

do people really not know they can punish ftilt 1 out of shield -_-
I know it can get puinished out of shield, it's called MK Up-b or another Snake's Ftilt or Diddy's gay awesome item throw.

Dr. Grandpa

Smash Ace
hi guys, im a dk mainer and i played ally on wifi just recently i was at like 130% he dash attacked and then up smash (whatever that called) i died... even with my beast DI so my question would be the knockback of snake's dash attack is amazing as well?

6Mizu

Smash Champion
Wait, Link can grab Ftilt1 out of Shield? O.o
Someone please answer this.

hi guys, im a dk mainer and i played ally on wifi just recently i was at like 130% he dash attacked and then up smash (whatever that called) i died... even with my beast DI so my question would be the knockback of snake's dash attack is amazing as well?
And yes, it's one of the best DAs in the game. :)

Shinjin

Smash Cadet
haha yeah got a question! If I get stuck grabbing the ledge, what are some good options for getting back on stage safely? Snake's ledge attacks kinda leave me open, and a ledge-hopped b-air is kinda predictable.

Any other things I can work into my game when I'm stuck there?

TommyDerMeister

Smash Lord
for getting back onto the stage safely, I would say ledgehop b-reversal grenade. you'll come up to the stage with your back toward your opponent which is where snake holds the grenade before he throws it. so if anyone tries to attack you, they'll get blown up with you.

Navn

Smash Apprentice
Hey, can anyone find the Jab-combo info Ken Neth (i think was his name) made a while back? It had something to do with multiple "hitboxes" different places on Snake's arm.

etecoon

Smash Hero
has anyone done any really in depth testing on snake's momentum cancels? I've heard all kinds of theories from FF bair being the best, air dodging being the best, uair being the best for vertical while bair is still the best horizontally...by frame data you'd assume bair would be the best in all situations but it's also possible that it extends snake's hurtbox closer to the blast zone enough so that a slower attack may be more effective

has anyone done any really in depth testing on snake's momentum cancels? I've heard all kinds of theories from FF bair being the best, air dodging being the best, uair being the best for vertical while bair is still the best horizontally...by frame data you'd assume bair would be the best in all situations but it's also possible that it extends snake's hurtbox closer to the blast zone enough so that a slower attack may be more effective
For one, all you need is one aerial to FF to momentum cancel. Doesn't really matter which. Uair and Bair are better than the others because they do not last so long. Air dodge is inferior because you cannot fast fall. And the only frame advantage it has is roughly 4 frames better than Uair and Bair. That does not make much of a difference. The blast zones for elongating the hurtbox or minimizing it I think is very crucial.

So, even though I do not have any testing, through simple common sense, never airdodge. Uair/Bair is much superior because you can fast fall it, and fast falling does affect horizontal knockback according to SuSa's info. Uair for horizontal, and bair for vertical.

etecoon

Smash Hero
yeah, I didn't think air dodging was good but someone posted that in another thread recently so I had to ask, I think because of the way the attacks move your hurtbox it's still not totally clear what's best between uair and bair though

Shinjin

Smash Cadet
for getting back onto the stage safely, I would say ledgehop b-reversal grenade. you'll come up to the stage with your back toward your opponent which is where snake holds the grenade before he throws it. so if anyone tries to attack you, they'll get blown up with you.
Sweet, thanks! I'll definitely put it to use, but just out of curiosity, have I got any relatively safe or provocative non-suicidal options?
haha thanks man!

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Airdodge is the best for horizontal DI, because you want the move that ends the quickest so you can regain horizontal control so you can jump/up b the quickest. and Snake's airdodge ends quicker then all his aerials.

For vertical you want to bair then FF, bair flattens you out so that you are parallel to the blast zone, this way your hurtbox is a little furthur from the blast zone.

I think the corner blastzones work just like the horizontal ones, but I'm not entirely sure on that.

F-air somewhat

Whenever I do it, I found out there is a somewhat pull away from the blast zone. But I use AD more often

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom