• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Snake FAQ/Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Walk and simply powershield. Once you get in close range wolf will start hesitating and that is when you can start branching out from there.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
No, his mortar cannot hurt him. However, if it is reflected by a reflector or cape it can.

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
No, his mortar cannot hurt him. However, if it is reflected by a reflector or cape it can.
WUT REALLY

i was playing a friend on wifi, he was lolimar and i was snake on halberd; Lolimar used dash attack right after i used uSmash, and for some reason i got damaged by it? i dunno wtf was up with that lol

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
i know that, but what i don't understand is how did i get damaged if lolimar used dash attack?

Can someone tell me this. Everytime, I try to grab someone after launching a mort. the thing always ends up hitting the person I grab and releases them from my grip. What prevents this from happening?

etecoon

Smash Hero
lower controller port won't grab release from explosions

so for instance as player 1 I can charge a mortar, grab you, let it hit you, and then throw you(or more commonly, same for nearby grenades). snake ditto's 55:45 port priority, LOL

lower controller port won't grab release from explosions

so for instance as player 1 I can charge a mortar, grab you, let it hit you, and then throw you(or more commonly, same for nearby grenades). snake ditto's 55:45 port priority, LOL
lul So always going for the higher port has it's negatives. You get out of grabs with the higher port, but you lose combo percents through the use of it.

DZhou

Smash Journeyman
Does the small damage from getting hit by a grenade (not the explosion) refresh moves?

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
more of a general question than anything else...

if i use utilt 9 times in a row, then use 9 other moves, will utilt be completely refreshed? just wanted to check i understood diminishing properly.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
more of a general question than anything else...

if i use utilt 9 times in a row, then use 9 other moves, will utilt be completely refreshed? just wanted to check i understood diminishing properly.
Once you use a move it is staled. You can get it out of the staled moves cue but it will never be fully refreshed. If that makes sense >.>

Teff

Smash Rookie
So I just found out from the guides that Snake can jab once and then quickly use f-tilt to get like 4% more damage than if f-tilt had been done alone, but I don't see top Snakes doing it often. I mean, shouldn't this thing be used every time you want to do an f-tilt? Or does it only sometimes work?

etecoon

Smash Hero
jab > ftilt isn't a true combo, it's just a mixup that works on some people. jab > grab is the same thing, doesn't work but it depends on what they do. if you predict how they react to being jabbed then you can do stuff with it

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
Once you use a move it is staled. You can get it out of the staled moves cue but it will never be fully refreshed. If that makes sense >.>
ummm... once its out of the staled moves cue doesnt that make it fully refreshed?

jab > ftilt isn't a true combo, it's just a mixup that works on some people. jab > grab is the same thing, doesn't work but it depends on what they do. if you predict how they react to being jabbed then you can do stuff with it
you sure about that? i beg to differ...

etecoon

Smash Hero
maybe on some characters it can't be avoided but I know people who consistently shield it, it doesn't work universally

.decoy

Smash Ace
man swf fail i posted here already.

anyway. with good sdi jab cancels are not true combos, though for all intents and purposes that is can be by the opponent's distance away from snake at the time of the jab (i.e if your opponent is really close to you it is very hard to sdi all the way out and away from a grab, and even more so a ftilt).

more theoretical proof that jab cancels are not true combos lies in the fact that marth can upB out of them. i say theoretical because not all characters can just upB out, and sometimes people fail to sdi, which again means that it often does end up being a 'combo'.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
ummm... once its out of the staled moves cue doesnt that make it fully refreshed?

you sure about that? i beg to differ...
You would think that, however once it has been used once even if you get it out of the cue it not ever be FULLY refreshed but it will be **** close to it.

So I just found out from the guides that Snake can jab once and then quickly use f-tilt to get like 4% more damage than if f-tilt had been done alone, but I don't see top Snakes doing it often. I mean, shouldn't this thing be used every time you want to do an f-tilt? Or does it only sometimes work?
They use it a lot. It isn't always a true combo but you can interrupt attacks pretty quickly and get in there.
maybe on some characters it can't be avoided but I know people who consistently shield it, it doesn't work universally
Actually it depends on how close they are to you.
man swf fail i posted here already.

anyway. with good sdi jab cancels are not true combos, though for all intents and purposes that is can be by the opponent's distance away from snake at the time of the jab (i.e if your opponent is really close to you it is very hard to sdi all the way out and away from a grab, and even more so a ftilt).

more theoretical proof that jab cancels are not true combos lies in the fact that marth can upB out of them. i say theoretical because not all characters can just upB out, and sometimes people fail to sdi, which again means that it often does end up being a 'combo'.
THIS.

etecoon

Smash Hero
Actually it depends on how close they are to you.
are you sure they can't DI into shield? as I said I'm sure it does work on some characters all the time but I'm pretty sure on others it only works if they mess up or try to counter a different action

and I haven't tested snake in particular yet but marth doesn't even need to up B vs most jab mixups in the game, jump/DI away + fair is ****

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
are you sure they can't DI into shield? as I said I'm sure it does work on some characters all the time but I'm pretty sure on others it only works if they mess up or try to counter a different action

and I haven't tested snake in particular yet but marth doesn't even need to up B vs most jab mixups in the game, jump/DI away + fair is ****
If you try to do a jab1-2-3 combo they can get away every time. But, Jab ftilt is legit if they are close enough. Ken Neth made a thread on Jab somewhere in here.

Utah boy made a post in the Weekly Move discussion regarding jab. Not a thread. Maybe he did make a thread later, but the orignal thing was a post in that move discussion thread. For all partical purposes, you can sum up Ken's post in two things

1) AAA is not a legit combo. People can PS last hit with some or simply holding the shield button even with no DI. Slightly character dependent upon who needs DI to PS.
2) Single Jab done very close to snake drags them along the ground for a time in hitstun. Single Jab done at the tip or spaced Jab will pop them into the air.

The few conclusions that can be drawn from this are to never AAA someone very often. And that spaced jab is best to follow up with Utilt or grab. Non-spaced jab would be best followed up by Ftilt.

Trump

Smash Rookie
Needles, needles, needles

I've been having a little trouble approaching Sheik. Nades seem to do more harm than good, camping isn't an option, and approaching in the air is dangerous against Sheiks fast aerials. At the moment I've been approaching from the air, but it's rare that I don't receive at least a little punishment. Any advice?

6Mizu

Smash Champion
Somewhere in the SubspaceEmissary(NC, Morrisville)
I've been having a little trouble approaching Sheik. Nades seem to do more harm than good, camping isn't an option, and approaching in the air is dangerous against Sheiks fast aerials. At the moment I've been approaching from the air, but it's rare that I don't receive at least a little punishment. Any advice?
I know the situations your going through.
And, Grenades do work against her......you just gotta throw them out quickly....
For example: Hard toss.....a nade at her at the very beginning of the match.

Also, A lot of your grenade will have to be used.....in the air....because on the ground.....you'll just have needles thrown at you.

Hope that helps.

For more help....try to get a hang of Sinz or Ankoku or SamuraiPanda. :)

... Yeah, I think as soon as you start seeing her charge them and you are at a good distance FH a hard nade toss at her to get her to move. Also, learn to PS, that helps enourmously.

Some Shieks I know actually double jump into the air before starting to charge safely. Use that time wisely.

AphoticBankai

Smash Cadet
It's fair amounts for dangerous for Snake to keep throwing nades in the air, isn't it? Snake doesn't really enjoy the air, and Sheik is fast enough to get under there. Especially with DACUS.

You can finish a needle charge before a nade explodes =\. With plenty of time to shield it or move. And if you try to cook it, we'll just send needles your way to blow it up.

Jumping and needle charging generally isn't used to my knowledge..you can't do anything but fall straight down, whereas on the ground you can shield and roll. I don't typically see Sheiks jump charging anyway.

It's fair amounts for dangerous for Snake to keep throwing nades in the air, isn't it? Snake doesn't really enjoy the air, and Sheik is fast enough to get under there. Especially with DACUS.

You can finish a needle charge before a nade explodes =\. With plenty of time to shield it or move. And if you try to cook it, we'll just send needles your way to blow it up.

Jumping and needle charging generally isn't used to my knowledge..you can't do anything but fall straight down, whereas on the ground you can shield and roll. I don't typically see Sheiks jump charging anyway.
Typically jumping and charging is done on a platform where it's harder for Snake to reach and therefore predict them. Espically, if this was done on say the corner platforms on BF. They could easily Air Dodge past an attack to the ledge, or something similar. It does not happen all the time, but I have seen a few do this.

The point of jump throwing is to get the grenade out there to make shiek move. It does not need to explode to get the intended effect. If a grenade hits Shiek, then that nade will pop out in front of her, if she tries to use the needles in that case she would get blown up.

This sort of works the same way DDD or Rob can use there projectile the moment Snake pulls a nade to make him lose the edge of trying to camp with it.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
These are some matches I played with Marz a good local sheik. Maybe they can help you out. :D We did 25 games and only three of them are uploaded so far =/ But it is all good :D

Don't try to copy my flashy stuff/ stupid stuff. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pqk8yeC2TA0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuM_yBDJ3m4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Kla3VntwWU

I need to learn more match ups than Diddy MK and IC's =/

Navn

Smash Apprentice
Nope, it has way more. There is no stickied or "official" critique-thread, so people just make a new topic whenever they want their Snake critiqued. I'd suggest just hijacking one of them with your own videos to keep the boards more clean. That's what i did, even though i didn't get alot of replies.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
I had wanted an official critique thread too, but everyone else think that individual critique threads will gain more attention and therefore be better for the person being critiqued, which makes sense imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom