• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Snake FAQ/Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

frayike

Smash Cadet
For B-reversals you should clearly have pressed B and then press the opposite direction with the analog. Not sure how else to help idk haha. um for me it took a little bit but it's easy after awhile. you'll get it. I actually do it alot better on wifi for some reason. lag I guess

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
The more I play Snake the more I realize how bad I am with him, I mayyy drop him depending on if i can figure out ways to improve with him.

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
Cincinnati, Ohio ; Land of Happiness and Kindness
NNID
Daylightful
Hm. Why do you feel as bad? Maybe you're just stump. What helps me is I just play another character and work on them for a bit. Or just play another game even for about a week then try Snake again.
It really helps when you are in moments of being stump. Long story short keep working at it and take breaks.

febs

Smash Cadet
Okay I figured out b-reversal but what about the wave bounce? And the sliding spot dodge isn't happening for me either. So I would hold the nade press and hold backwards then press down and shield to spot dodge right?

etecoon

Smash Hero
wavebouncing is very difficult to do consistently unless you use B stick, I don't think it's very practical for snake in general. as for spot dodging backwards from nade stance, it's more like smashing backwards then spot dodging, you shouldn't be holding back long at all. just practice it a lot, only way to get better at inputs really, have to do it until it's second nature

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
Wave bounce is the same thing as b-reversing, but you do it by holding one direction first, then b-reversing the other way.

Ex:
You're falling and holding all the way right so you're falling at an angle. B-reverse and start holding left. You'll bounce in that direction and keep the same momentum you had, but in the other direction.

You can do it with any b move, but the only useful ones are nades and C4.

As for the sliding spot dodge, that's simply pulling a nade, dashing, and immediately spot dodging. It's really simple actually.

Edit:
etecooninja'd

etecoon

Smash Hero
that's dash attack item throw, in this case it's the same input as a DACUS(mortar slide, snake dash, whatever) but while carrying a grenade, causing snake to make the throw up animation while he throws forward

ChomP

Smash Cadet
Whats a good way to practice DI? I'm tired of getting killed at low percents vs mk -__-

febs

Smash Cadet
wen i try to do dacus with a nade it just does the sliding spot dodge thing. what am i doing wrong? also could someone give adivce on the instant throw, i just do a regular drop.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
Honestly, the dacus with a grenade thing is pretty much pointless. You don't really need to practice that. It's just for lulz.

As for instant throwing, you basically have to press shield and A/C-stick at the same time. Or rather, A/C-stick a millisecond after airdodging. When you do it, you don't even see yourself airdodge to pick it up. It just looks like you threw it like you had been holding it the whole time.

Another thing you just gotta practice till you get the timing down.

frayike

Smash Cadet
Febs, don't give up if you don't get it after a while. It takes some people longer to get something the important thing is you are trying. I got it pretty fast but I didn't really have it 100%(still mess it up on off days) until I spent tons of time practicing it. If you are dropping it I can only imagine that you are either going for another nade with b or are pressing z which you should have to. Important note: you can't do it unless you have shield dropped the nade in the first place. haha hoped that helped

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
A word of advice, Ignis. Use the edit function instead of double posting. That's against the rules and we don't have a mod that can merge them together. :dizzy:

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Zaj, I had my room mate use a Zaj tag and I timed him out for you

febs

Smash Cadet
thanks for the help. i've figured out all these little things now time to put it in my gameee

if my jab or one of my moves collides wth someone else's projectile or move, does it count to stale move negation?
also ftilt -> fsmash. how do i get this off as fast as possible becuz if i just hit the cstick again it will just do another ftilt if its too early.

HotWings

Smash Ace
I know this is kinda stupid to ask but im going to ask it anyways... is snakes dacus run, down c, up+Z?

Ive never tried this b4 and im new to snake and i always see other snakes doing it and i just wanted to make sure this is the correct buttons to press.

frayike

Smash Cadet
hey man don't worry about it that's what we are here for. Yes that is the correct input for a dacus. there are many other things you are going to have to learn I suggest you look at a guide with the list of AT's and get them down. Basics like pivot grab, grenade dropping, and others i don't feel like going through :chuckle: um just check out a guide man. Today has a good one up go check it out. it's stickied

etecoon

Smash Hero
if my jab or one of my moves collides wth someone else's projectile or move, does it count to stale move negation?
nope, you can utilt projectiles to block them all day without staling it even

also ftilt -> fsmash. how do i get this off as fast as possible becuz if i just hit the cstick again it will just do another ftilt if its too early.
you just need to time it right, nothing else you can do really. this is really situational and won't usually work though, fsmash is really unlikely to hit, ever

Shinjin

Smash Cadet
Some things I've been meaning to ask!

1) I asked here a while back, but didn't get an answer 'cause I put it in the Ally Q/A and he never responded, but what's the best way to get up from the ledge? The ledge get-up attack I feel won't cut it, ledge hop to d-air I'm not sure has ever hit for me, and sometimes I just resort to a ledge hop b-air or jump to Up-B then land somewhere else, which can still be punished.

What other neat options have I got?

2) B-Reversals. Do I pluck the grenade/C4 then jam the control stick the opposite direction, and how much do you feel it's changed your game?

3) SDI, I struggle with, extremely. Do I just mash the direction I want to go on the Control Stick/C-Stick?

4) Improving my grenade game. It's gotten loads better over the last month or two or so, but I still can't consistently do the air-dodge throw (so I don't do it in matches). What are some other tips for keeping the pressure on?

5) The Dedede matchup. It's horrendous for me.

6) Is there a thread with stage discussions here on the Snake boards? Just some discussion over making use of certain parts of stages, using them more effectively, counterpicking, etc.?

Thanks guys, help on any one of these'd be tremendous.

frayike

Smash Cadet
For the d3 mu there should be a talk of it in the matchup thread if not then you may have to ask one of the more senior members.

For the ledge you have to watch you oppenent. In what way do you feel less threatend? There is no sure fire way to get back on the stage every time. you need to read your oppenent and try to be unpredictable. use different ways all the time or at most use the same way one to three times then you better pick a new one because you will be punished(If the oppenent is good).

B-reversals(To me) give snake so much more options in a match. If I am being juggled I can be reversal to get away and if the oppenent is catching on then I just don't which is a huge mindgame of it's own. I believe you need b-reversals to even be good with snake. They can also help with getting back to the stage from the ledge and on the ground as a part of your ground game.

For the SDI you will have to ask someone else. Haven't gotten myself either.

For grenades I would say you almost have to custom fit them for your oppenent. If they rush in, then you would pull out nade and shield or spotdodge. If they are keeping there distance, then get them angry and spam wisely( cooking essential here) Does the stage have platforms You can use to expand your grenades use? Is there a slant on the ledge? toss your nades to the slant and watch where they go. Are you in the top corner? toss a nade to the stage to keep the juggler on his toes. I sound like a bad infomerical. Just play with them and find out what works and what doesn't

For the stage thread there is one on here I am sure it is on the first page of the snake boards. I think you may have overlooked it.

Hope I helped

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
Cincinnati, Ohio ; Land of Happiness and Kindness
NNID
Daylightful
I know this is kinda stupid to ask but im going to ask it anyways... is snakes dacus run, down c, up+Z?

Ive never tried this b4 and im new to snake and i always see other snakes doing it and i just wanted to make sure this is the correct buttons to press.

The buttons I input are: Side, Side-cstick (dash attack motion) and right after that up+Z. You can also just dash attack and up c-stick as well instead of up+Z. But that won't charge the upsmash.

@Shinjin, Frayike pretty much answered everything. XP But I can help some things.

For SDI. You hit the c-stick up and down continuously and do the reverse with the control stick. meaning if you are hitting the c-stick up, you want the control stick down.

Stage thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=258147

etecoon

Smash Hero

For SDI. You hit the c-stick up and down continuously and do the reverse with the control stick. meaning if you are hitting the c-stick up, you want the control stick down. [/url]
srsly? **** I've been doing it wrong for like 2 years lol

Shinjin

Smash Cadet
For the d3 mu there should be a talk of it in the matchup thread if not then you may have to ask one of the more senior members.

For the ledge you have to watch you oppenent. In what way do you feel less threatend? There is no sure fire way to get back on the stage every time. you need to read your oppenent and try to be unpredictable. use different ways all the time or at most use the same way one to three times then you better pick a new one because you will be punished(If the oppenent is good).

B-reversals(To me) give snake so much more options in a match. If I am being juggled I can be reversal to get away and if the oppenent is catching on then I just don't which is a huge mindgame of it's own. I believe you need b-reversals to even be good with snake. They can also help with getting back to the stage from the ledge and on the ground as a part of your ground game.

For the SDI you will have to ask someone else. Haven't gotten myself either.

For grenades I would say you almost have to custom fit them for your oppenent. If they rush in, then you would pull out nade and shield or spotdodge. If they are keeping there distance, then get them angry and spam wisely( cooking essential here) Does the stage have platforms You can use to expand your grenades use? Is there a slant on the ledge? toss your nades to the slant and watch where they go. Are you in the top corner? toss a nade to the stage to keep the juggler on his toes. I sound like a bad infomerical. Just play with them and find out what works and what doesn't

For the stage thread there is one on here I am sure it is on the first page of the snake boards. I think you may have overlooked it.

Hope I helped
Thanks man, big help. Just to make sure this isn't possible, when I'm way up high, I can't just drop a grenade? I have to either be holding one already to throw it straight down, or just soft-toss it?

'preciate it, frayike.

The buttons I input are: Side, Side-cstick (dash attack motion) and right after that up+Z. You can also just dash attack and up c-stick as well instead of up+Z. But that won't charge the upsmash.

@Shinjin, Frayike pretty much answered everything. XP But I can help some things.

For SDI. You hit the c-stick up and down continuously and do the reverse with the control stick. meaning if you are hitting the c-stick up, you want the control stick down.

Stage thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=258147
I remember reading once that for SDI I set the control stick in the direction I want to go, then I simultaneously mash the C-stick in quarter circles. It never seemed to work, so this great, thanks man.

etecoon

Smash Hero
had to try it finally because I got curious, used smart bombs on myself in training mode and by far the most effective thing for me was to just smash both sticks up repeatedly, holding a direction was less effective, and I didn't get good results from rotating the c-stick in a quarter circle either...

could still be doing it wrong, this was a brief test, but I'm pretty sure that you shouldn't just hold the stick up at least

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
I think I remember hearing the quarter circles thing was for regular DI and smash DI was inputting a direction (with both sticks) as many times as possible (up to once per hit frame).

febs

Smash Cadet
did you guys know you can perform a tilt while holding a nade?
drop the nade -> pick it up -> aim control stick to bottom or bottom left -> hit A

anyways,
question about teching. do i have to di towards the wall/ground i want to tech? do i press dodge slightly before i hit it, or as i hit it?
what are somethings i can tech? i read that i can throws like dthrows from mk and g&w, how is this done and what does it mean?
when I do a b-reverse, its flat i dont get that extra push to the right of the left, why is this how do i fix it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom