• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Snake FAQ/Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Lucas is easy, you can ground grab release him into ftilt/utilt/dtilt. So basically grab = death around 110% for him.

Just play it safe, camp, and avoid his easy to see kill moves.

He can combo you a bit at low percents, but that shouldn't matter since he can't kill you unless you're being dumb and running into his laggy smashes.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Lucas is easy, you can ground grab release him into ftilt/utilt/dtilt. So basically grab = death around 110% for him.

Just play it safe, camp, and avoid his easy to see kill moves.

He can combo you a bit at low percents, but that shouldn't matter since he can't kill you unless you're being dumb and running into his laggy smashes.
Actually you have to be careful of his dair because of how well it leads into his fsmash. Becareful when recovering on the stage because lucas likes to dsmash/usmash when you airdodge(AND YOU GET HIT O:)

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Is Frigate Orpheon a good stage for Snake? Who should I take there in a cp?
Frigate Orpheon is an amazing stage for Snake. It is one of my personal favorite stages. I personally like bringing Foxes, Falcos, Olimar, Tether characters, almost anybody here. It is a really good stage for Snake.

Whatever you do. Do not take ROB here. It is so lame.

colddegree

Smash Cadet
hmm whats the best stage against lucas? its hard for me to camp at fd and his >b ruins my camping

Outcamp Lucas and avoid approaching him. You might as well get yourself punished.

Edit:
Someone asked me this question but I couldn't answer it.

Here's the question: Why are chain grabs legal in tourneys?

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Outcamp Lucas and avoid approaching him. You might as well get yourself punished.

Edit:

They are legal because you have to catch your opponent in it. Some of them take a very high level of concentration(IC's) and some don't (D3). However, if you get caught it is usually your own fault.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru

Edit:

Thats like asking why are tornado legal? Why are lasers legal? Why are nanners legal?

Just because it is really good doesn't mean it should be banned.

Not that snake needs help surviving but I was thinking about the b reversals and if they could help snake survive. I've noticed the the more horizontal speed you have the more of a turn around get and was thinking that using the b reversals to brake might make snake survive a bit longer off the sides. There are a few things things i can see getting in the way like snake won't be able to do this if he is facing the stage and whether it is better than air dodging or bair or uair but it might be worth looking into. This has probably already been thought of but i figured it was worth mentioning. And could someone please help me test this cause the Wii i use just got that error reading problem and i doubt my friends who already hate snake would help me test out something that could make him survive longer.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Not that snake needs help surviving but I was think about the b reversals and if they could help snake survive. I've noticed the the more horizontal speed you have the more of a turn around get and was thinking that using the b reversals to brake might make snake survive a bit longer off the sides. There are a few things things i can see getting in the way like snake won't be able to do this if he is facing the stage and whether it is better than air dodging or bair or uair but it might be worth looking into. This has probably already been thought of but i figured it was worth mentioning. And could someone please help me test this cause the Wii i use just got that error reading problem and i doubt my friends who already hate snake would help me test out something that could make him survive longer.
When you are trying to recover you should try to momentum cancel first with airdodge or uair. Then once you start getting back to the stage you should toss in the b-reversals. They are excellent for getting back onto the stage safely. :)

All i was doing was pointing out this maybe a new way to survive longer. I try and uair or bair but I am still air dodging on reflex and I need to stop doing that. And I already learned how to do the b reversals but sometimes mess up the grenade turn. And i know this sounds a little defensive but im just pointing out i know b reversals are used to get to the stage unmolested.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
what meglaodon means is using the B reversal as a momentum cancel, intresting concept but I dont see it working because after being hit you can only use aerials and airdodges until a certain amount of time has passed, or until you've already done an aerial/airdodge

in short you'd still have to use an aerial/airdodge first before the b reversal, and that would end up taking too long.

also going back to a previous question about frigate, yes its a great snake stage, lots of cool stuff you can do there, and its a perfect counterpick against marth, if you can get him off the edge that has no ledge and force him to use his upB, thats a garenteed fsmash.

yes luke got what i was talking about. i thought of it because of GW bucket brake or wario's bike brake helping them survive longer and thought and yeah im not sure how doable it is but it is worth a bit of research

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
That's actually an interesting concept. I'd laugh my *** off if you could keep all that momentum using the b-reversal. But, yea, what luke said -- you can air dodge or A- attack before you can use specials. Might be useful if you know you aren't going to die. I doubt you can keep all that momentum, but if you can, that'd be funny.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
That's actually an interesting concept. I'd laugh my *** off if you could keep all that momentum using the b-reversal. But, yea, what luke said -- you can air dodge or A- attack before you can use specials. Might be useful if you know you aren't going to die. I doubt you can keep all that momentum, but if you can, that'd be funny.
You can't :( I thought about that idea before and I just die because you don't momentum cancel =(

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
In a tourney match if you and your opponent are on your last stock. And you use dthrow while the platform your on is falling down (Yoshis, rainbow, delphino) and both of you end up dying at the same time. Is there a clear winner or would sudden death need to be played out?

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
In a tourney match if you and your opponent are on your last stock. And you use dthrow while the platform your on is falling down (Yoshis, rainbow, delphino) and both of you end up dying at the same time. Is there a clear winner or would sudden death need to be played out?
it comes down to percent at that point.

ComradeSnake

Smash Cadet
A) Why wouldn't that fall under the gannon/kirby/ddd/whatever-cides rule for initiator wins?

B) At what points do you guys, as snake mains, hit plateaus where you feel like you aren't getting better? And what helps you get out of them?

Mercy Buckets,
-The Comrade

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
A) Why wouldn't that fall under the gannon/kirby/ddd/whatever-cides rule for initiator wins?

B) At what points do you guys, as snake mains, hit plateaus where you feel like you aren't getting better? And what helps you get out of them?

Mercy Buckets,
-The Comrade
A) because you are in control of the dthrow. You should be able to put them down and jump before both of you die. If you don't its your own fault.

B) I focus on reading my opponents only and I also go play some melee.

ComradeSnake

Smash Cadet
Thanks, that makes sense for the most part... Except the part about playing melee. Melee is just a different beast, and snake isn't really in it so I don't see how melee would help you more than say Street Fighter or another fighter.

Specifically pertaining to grenades, how has your reliance or lack thereof/ability to control grenades affected your game? I ask mostly because I find myself shifting between doing mostly grenade games (improving my grenade game) and doing a mostly tilt/grab game (vice versa). I have trouble improving an overall game, so when I play it is kind of schizophrenic : /

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Thanks, that makes sense for the most part... Except the part about playing melee. Melee is just a different beast, and snake isn't really in it so I don't see how melee would help you more than say Street Fighter or another fighter.

Specifically pertaining to grenades, how has your reliance or lack thereof/ability to control grenades affected your game? I ask mostly because I find myself shifting between doing mostly grenade games (improving my grenade game) and doing a mostly tilt/grab game (vice versa). I have trouble improving an overall game, so when I play it is kind of schizophrenic : /
For me melee is just a great way to get new ideas about things. If you focus on reading in melee it can transfer over heavily into brawl. Then, I also focus a lot more on spacing in melee so it helps there too. :) Plus, melee is just fun.

Me learning a strong grenade game makes all of the difference. It is definitely the most important part of learning snake right now. Everything else can come on its own. :)

Loops

Smash Apprentice
Where/when do i hit back air close range if possible or nair properly without getting punished, and lastly how do i fight diddy he is the bane of my existence. I've tried like everything, my friends experienced so i can't do nothing unless i switch into my secondary falco. I want to win with my snake though since hes my main and i know i can
So please help?

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Where/when do i hit back air close range if possible or nair properly without getting punished, and lastly how do i fight diddy he is the bane of my existence. I've tried like everything, my friends experienced so i can't do nothing unless i switch into my secondary falco. I want to win with my snake though since hes my main and i know i can
So please help?
Your first part doesn't read right. But, you buffer the bair so you can hit them and land safely. You double jump the Nair so it autocancels.

For Diddy. There is a lot of stuff to do against Diddy. You need to use TONS of grenades. Don't bother keeping diddy's nanas just instant throw them off the stage and try to stay close to diddy. You can lock him down with your close range game. Play keep away with his bananas. The match up is in our favor. I will write a larger post on this when we get to Diddy in the character match up discussion.

Loops

Smash Apprentice
Hmm, theres this banana lock that always gets me. It racks up a huge amount of percent and ultimately kills me when i get to a high percent with his down smash. I use my grenades but sometimes but they just end up hurting me once i leave them since i get locked at times. And recovering off the stage/ledge is terrible since he has a spike and if i do a roll get up or attack get up i'll slip. Sometimes i can't do just a regular get up either without getting punished. His banana and aerial game is very fast unfortunately and its hard to move around on the ground and in the air I beat him sometimes but i want to win more consistently.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Hmm, theres this banana lock that always gets me. It racks up a huge amount of percent and ultimately kills me when i get to a high percent with his down smash. I use my grenades but sometimes but they just end up hurting me once i leave them since i get locked at times. And recovering off the stage/ledge is terrible since he has a spike and if i do a roll get up or attack get up i'll slip. Sometimes i can't do just a regular get up either without getting punished. His banana and aerial game is very fast unfortunately and its hard to move around on the ground and in the air I beat him sometimes but i want to win more consistently.
I know everything about diddy. You just don't know the match up yet. I will be writing a more thorough thing for the match up discussion.

However, you are talking about a double nana lock.

You should be using hopped grenades vs Diddy. They are great vs Diddy. Hell they are just great.

Diddy does have a good aerial game but our ground game outclasses it and Diddy's ground game.

When being tripped always try to get back to the middle of stage. This way you don't get stuck in a grab at the edge of stage and are about to get spiked or killed. =/

Loops

Smash Apprentice
Hopped grenades? Reimburse me, unless you mean like shield dropping and hopping over?
Anyways when will this discussion start, since the diddy player is VERY cocky so i really hate it with a passion when i lose to him.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Hopped grenades is when you are still holding b(you haven't shield dropped it) and you jump and then toss the nade.

A tip against diddy is to get used to hitting Z whenever you are about to land. This way you can pick up any nana's underneath you.

If an enemy catches an uncooked nade by air dodging and the enemy is near you, what's the best thing to do? Is it a good idea to f-tilt the enemy away from you then nade strip?

Infern Angelis

Smash Master
I would go for a grab, since they will most likely throw it back, it gives u and opening for a free grab. What u do at that point depends on the timing of the grenade and ur port haha

F-tilt for me.

The enemy would suffer a bit hitsun then we nade strip then throw the nade that's near us on the enemy.

llamapaste

Smash Journeyman
Should I buffer the Smashboards url into the opening frames of my internet booting up? Or should I wait to select after the internet has booted up?

Serious question: Can someone please tell me how the jc grenade toss works?

TommyDerMeister

Smash Lord
How well do you guys think taking Yoshi to Frigate would work out. I'm having a hard time vs. Yoshi, I really don't know where/where not to take him, or what to do against him.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Personally I would take Hades to Castle siege I know His Yoshi relies on the ledge a ton.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom