• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"The Smash Brothers" Series: Calling All Collaborators

Anth0ny

Smash Master
Edit 2: Anth0ny, you should make a thread on NeoGAF, I bet you could get people to donate from there.
I was thinking of doing that, but GAF really frowns upon making threads, or even posts, about asking for donations. I'll try and post the video next time a Smash Bros thread pops up, but I can't say "please donate" :urg:

Revven

FrankerZ
I was thinking of doing that, but GAF really frowns upon making threads, or even posts, about asking for donations. I'll try and post the video next time a Smash Bros thread pops up, but I can't say "please donate" :urg:
Well, you could just post it as a documentary (supplying the video) without saying anything about donations. If it interests them enough, they'll see the information about donating in the video description.

Revven

FrankerZ
It turned into a bunch of scrubs having hissy fits about how tourney**** turn items off and don't play the game the way it's supposed to be played.

Big surprise there.
Yeah as I said, it wasn't going to really fly over there. But it was at least worth a shot anyway.

Can't believe how ignorant they are and can't stay on topic or at least say "Good video! Liked it a lot." or something. Then again I guess I can believe it given their general attitude towards anything Smash competitive related.

Kotaku nor Joystiq put it up so I guess they're not going to bother and will ignore it. Oh well. =\

samox

Smash Journeyman
UPDATE 10: I Know Guys, I Know
Kickstarter Balance: $3,172.00
Paypal Balance: $273.67
TOTAL FUNDING SO FAR: $3,445.67

THEY just don't understand.

That's what this project is all about - educating those who refuse to accept Smash Brothers as a fighting game... BUT NOT BY FORCE.

... by a show of force...

These people either 1.) Don't want to accept the game because it's "cartoony / not violent enough" (generally a category inhabited by the uneducated).

OR 2.) Believe fighting games MUST exclude the newbs by means of impossibly hard combos or controls that necessitate weeks of effort just to walk two steps (a category of elitism perhaps unbreachable by argument).

I posted to the GoNintendo discussion defending the Smash Brothers position from what I believe to be the only logical standpoint: the best games are easy to get into and impossible to master.

From this perspective, Street Fighter and Smash are on relatively equal footing at first glance. Smash and SF both seem simple enough.

But dig a little deeper and the evidence stacks in favor of Smash for either category - simplicity (a simple enough observation) and mastery (a far more subjective measure, but one to which Smash may lay claim through many different measures I won't get into here). I'll leave it to others to delineate the goal posts necessary for the victor. :)

Mastery of a particular discipline is always subjective. You can look at any "master" and draw contrasts to justify your own perspective. It may only come down to opinion, but I think at the end of the day, both are "fighters", both require exquisite precision and both refuse to be tied down by any one Master.

I will say this: ****ing nother $70 bucks today! Yes!!!!

You guys roooooooooooole.

@ Falco400: Thank you a billion for the GoNintendo connection! Discussion can be a great venue for understanding and spreading the word. And also for kicking *** to new faces! :) Much love here (and in the final credits).

@ erbanez: you ****ING RULE. Question: Starship Troopers reference? Like, you almost went full Ibanez and pulled to the left at the last second, saving Rico from deciding between you two?

@ BigDee: We'll see. :)

MORE TO COME!!!

EDIT: IMPOSSIBLE TO MASTER!

Pi

Smash Hero
it killsssssss meeeeee KILLLLLLLSSSS ME
it's such a terrible ****ing feeling to read that **** posted, immediately my mind goes into defense mode and starts reminding me that it's just 1 guy and he's an idiot and knows nothing of melee

***** IMA BOSS

voorhese

Smash Master
as soon as i get my college refund im donating to this, and as for the special event, lets hope its hype as ****!

samox

Smash Journeyman
UPDATE 10: Keep on Keepin on
Kickstarter Balance: $3,197.00
TOTAL FUNDING SO FAR: $3,470.67

Nother day, nother thirty odd bucks! Woot.

@Nicknyte: If you're interested, we'd love to hear some of your work! :)

MORE TO COME!

Rusty Shacklefurd

Smash Lord
South-east of New Zealand, and no, you'll never fi
***NEWS FLASH!***: Nathan Kingston just seen paragliding out of a falling space shuttle he highjacked while having sex with his entire supermodel harem! Oh, what's this? He's winking at us while casually donating 150 dollars to The Smash Brothers Series! Holy ****, that guy is money! :)
WHO TOLD YOU ABOUT MY HAREM!?! Have you been spying on me?

samox

Smash Journeyman
UPDATE 12: Formerly Update 11
Kickstarter Balance: $3,197.00
TOTAL FUNDING SO FAR: $3,470.67 - UNCHANGED

Well, no funding today. :(

I'll be putting out a Pre-Produciton video update soon to keep you all abreast of the "situation on the ground", as it were.

I'm taking outside the box suggestions for donation tie ins - local video game shops matching donations? Gamer dentists? Drunk people with too much money?

All takers!

@ Nicknyte: Good stuff brother! You've definitely got the skills. :)

MORE TO COME!

Battlecow

Play to Win
We should host a hustle-a-thon to support this. Every competitive melee player needs to sit outside of game shops/whatever with a sign that says "$5 to play, $10 if you win" or something and donate all the proceeds to this. We'd make mad $$$.

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
We should host a hustle-a-thon to support this. Every competitive melee player needs to sit outside of game shops/whatever with a sign that says "$5 to play, $10 if you win" or something and donate all the proceeds to this. We'd make mad $$$.
i support this idea 100%

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Looks eerily similar to an idea I posted in my ideas topic to increase tournament attendance.

:phone:

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
$5 to play, $100 dollars if you win.
And if a player who seems like a guy off of the street starts to dash dance or wavedash or pick someone other than bowser, DQ DQ DQ

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Do you already have someone lined up in the way of Graphic Design? I have a friend with whom I can collaborate if you're still hiring for this, depending on what you're looking for.

Top Bottom