• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"The Smash Brothers" Series: Calling All Collaborators

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
Posted this on the youtube video.

I hope you guys reach your goal. What do you think Nintendo/HAL Labs/ Sakurai think of this?

I'm asking because you know how fan projects go ... sometimes you see that nice little C&D letter... other times, they support you! Either way, good luck!

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
This project isn't really in the realm where C&D would be applicable, I don't think, unless he plans on selling the episodes.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
Okay, I feel that it wouldn't be something to worry about, but still. There are some non-for-profit fan games that get halted like 50~90 percent into the creation of it.

Still you might be right (i hope!)

Anth0ny

Smash Master
I'd like to nominate someone for the voice over.

Morgan Freeman

Brandon Jones of Gametrailers.

He's the founder of the website, so he knows his stuff. And his voice is awesome. Only problems are I don't know how expensive he is, or if he's even willing to do non-Gametrailers voiceovers.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
If you guys need a narrator, I've been told I have a deep and scarily seductive voice, so get at me. I don't even want any money.

KingClubber

Smash Ace
In a dark underground base in the middle of L.A
I posted a link to the video of the topic of this to my friend who hasn't played a serious match in over 5 years.

Here's what he had to say:

"ok, who cares fool they all suck don't be brain washed"

Knowing he knew nothing of high level's of smash, i responded:

"Yeah brain-washed...No I think your delusional...."

i posted a link to the West vs East Crew battle of GENESIS 2, he's response:

"man they're nothing man marth was weak i can easy beat that marth and the ice-c character you already know how to do that already i beat you already when you did that on me thats nothing you're a fool if you think i can't beat them, ROFL!!"

I think he totally forget the last round of matches, because i didn't even know what wobbling was until 2009, and used a cheap down throw infinite to beat his fox with a prefect 4 stock game, my best victory over him ever. It was the last time i had every got to play him before i moved to Palmdale. But for him to think he could beat wobbles, i find it unbelievable.

I respond back:

"I destroyed your fox with ice climbers what are you talking about?

and that marth would wipe you, your over confidence is unbelievable, I can't believe you think you could beat the top players of the game."

I had told him of the best of the best, shown him videos of unbelievable things that we never thought of or even thought possible, we had missed everything.

He believes that things i've learned from this site to be nothing but cheap tricks. That those who uses wave-dashing aren't worth playing, that L-canceling and the like to be nothing but a trick of the eyes, that after playing matches repeatedly over n over with them that he would over come them all.

Funny thing, 3 years ago i would have agreed.

God i love this video, i think i'm going to watch it again.

Zodiac

Smash Master
This project isn't really in the realm where C&D would be applicable, I don't think, unless he plans on selling the episodes.
Knowing nintendo they would do it just to see the looks on our face.

Dirtydeeds

Smash Rookie
He believes that things i've learned from this site to be nothing but cheap tricks. That those who uses wave-dashing aren't worth playing, that L-canceling and the like to be nothing but a trick of the eyes, that after playing matches repeatedly over n over with them that he would over come them all.
Is your friend Hercule Satan?

:phone:

:phone:

samox

Smash Journeyman
UPDATE 8: Holy Kick Awesome Batman Mobile!
Kickstarter Balance: $2,917.00
Paypal Balance: $173.96
TOTAL FUNDING SO FAR: $3,090.96.

WHAM! Just like that, another GRAND. That one came courtesy of Amy Ingersoll, an actor from the 70's and 80's who loves all my work. Thank you mom - er, Amy!

We also have a $25 and $50 donation from IamChip and Evan (for the DVD and Exclusive DVD), respectively.

This is good news. It gives us a little breathing room. Time to focus on spreading the word and bringing every last smasher to bear on this project!

@ Krystedez: Ahh yes copyright, trademark, bull****, etc. It's something we've been taking to heart. Fortunately, we appear to be on pretty strong ground legally, considering this is a documentary for EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES. US copyright and fair use laws extend to non-profit projects such as this. So no worries. :)

@ Dirtydeeds: He's over 9000!

@ Narrator Postings: Anyone who wants to / thinks they've got a good voice, send an audio sample to thesmashbrosmovie@gmail.com !!!

THANKS AND MORE TO COME!

Anth0ny

Smash Master
Samox, have you tried sending this in to kotaku or something similar?
"Loner Super Smash Bros Melee tournament players who play a game not meant for tournaments make documentary starring said loner players"

dat kotaku

just kidding, kotaku might be worth a shot. But I don't think that audience would really be willing to donate

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
"Loner Super Smash Bros Melee tournament players who play a game not meant for tournaments make documentary starring said loner players"

dat kotaku

just kidding, kotaku might be worth a shot. But I don't think that audience would really be willing to donate
at least its better than gizmodo :dazwa:

BlakBlastoise

Smash Rookie
Time to break the ice and stop lurking to show my support for this.
I love this. Been following competitive smash since about 2007, although I don't really go to tournaments very often (nor am I any good lol). Anyway, I support this and have donated via paypal.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
@ Krystedez: Ahh yes copyright, trademark, bull****, etc. It's something we've been taking to heart. Fortunately, we appear to be on pretty strong ground legally, considering this is a documentary for EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES. US copyright and fair use laws extend to non-profit projects such as this. So no worries. :)

@ Narrator Postings: Anyone who wants to / thinks they've got a good voice, send an audio sample to thesmashbrosmovie@gmail.com !!!
Will do. Donating you a 25 later this month if I get my laptop on time. Otherwise I gotta save money for a new compy. X( I wannA see this project go on!

Anywho, good luck to ya, maybe I might submit you a voice entry too, though I'm nothing special. I do like doing impressions and putting emotion in them. Either way lol, you should find someone definitely personal on this project. I'm in no way a Melee pro, but I loved (and still love) the game. I'm just a brAWWWWWWWWWWler.

XD See yaon the wayside.

strawhats

Smash Master
Time to break the ice and stop lurking to show my support for this.
I love this. Been following competitive smash since about 2007, although I don't really go to tournaments very often (nor am I any good lol). Anyway, I support this and have donated via paypal.
Hi and welcome to smashboards. Also it's never too late to go to your first tournament. I personally didn't start going to tournaments until like September of last yr.

samox

Smash Journeyman
UPDATE 9: You Guys Rock
Kickstarter Balance: $3,092.00
Paypal Balance: $273.67
TOTAL FUNDING SO FAR: $3,365.67

Dudes! Your efforts to see this thing happen are continually adding Maxim Tomato sauce to my Smash spaghetti.

We had yet another 25 (thank you Wiggins!) and 150 dollar donation to kickstarter and a 100 dollar donation to paypal.

I was a little worried we were losing steam, but you guys keep coming through!!!

I know it's tough to donate, but it truly, truly helps. It means we're going to have to make this series so damn good for you guys, you'll be hospitalized with chronic sma****is by the opening credits.

@ Dees, MuraRengan, Anth0ny, aZ, wWwDazwa: Great idea! I like approaching it from the survivor angle too. Support for this thing could come from many unlikely sources.

I'm somewhat of a Kotaku newb - are you suggesting we send the link to someone there in hopes they'll repost it? Or is there a place you can just post to, like reddit? I was confused. :p

***NEWS FLASH!***: Nathan Kingston just seen paragliding out of a falling space shuttle he highjacked while having sex with his entire supermodel harem! Oh, what's this? He's winking at us while casually donating 150 dollars to The Smash Brothers Series! Holy ****, that guy is money! :)

I am continually impressed by you guys. Dedicated and supportive. I can only hope to repay you in hours and hours of the best smash stuff to hit a screen since... well smash.

I am a little bit disappointed in some of our Brawl brothers. I posted the link in the Brawl general discussion (hey, this series touches on all smash games, even if just a little) and guess how many responses I've gotten?

ZERO. Not ONE.

I don't know if that's because it just got missed or what.

C'mon Brawlers! This affects you too!

MORE TO COME!

EDIT: Really? Smash-it-is? A bad word? ****.

EDIT2: ***NEWS FLASH!*** Just before the shuttle crashes into highly populated Mute City, Jaime Catano yanks the controls and deftly lands it on an apparently empty highway. He steps out onto the concrete and bows his head into his hand, lighting a crumpled cigarette. Behind him, a gruff voice whispers, "Show me your moves"...

BlakBlastoise

Smash Rookie
Hi and welcome to smashboards. Also it's never too late to go to your first tournament. I personally didn't start going to tournaments until like September of last yr.
I've been to like 4 So.Cal tourneys over the past 5 years, I might start attending more though.
and a 100 dollar donation to paypal.
That was me

Since I donated to paypal, am I still entitled to the extras (such as the video updates and DVD) which you listed on the kickstarter page?

Octave

Smash Ace
A question about the Kickstarter: I'm planning on donating $150+ over the course of the next few weeks, it says to select my reward. Can I select the $150 one while donating $50, or do should I just wait until I can donate the whole thing?:urg:

Dees

Smash Journeyman
@samox

Yeah, I would try contacting one of the kotaku writers and seeing if they would give you a write up. Who knows, maybe one of them is/was an avid melee (or brawl?) player. Kotaku would be a great way to spread the word about this.

http://kotaku.com/about/

^There's a list of the writers as well as their emails/facebooks/twitters

samox

Smash Journeyman
@ BlakBlastoise: You are my shining knight in black armor. EDIT2 was for you.

@ Octave: Donate what you can, when you can. Whenever your total donation passes a reward, you can upgrade to it. Think of it like an awesome RPG! ... where you pay real money. :)

@ Dees: About to write like mad! Thanks a billion!

Metà

Smash Master
***NEWS FLASH!***: Nathan Kingston just seen paragliding out of a falling space shuttle he highjacked while having sex with his entire supermodel harem! Oh, what's this? He's winking at us while casually donating 150 dollars to The Smash Brothers Series! Holy ****, that guy is money! :)
wait a minute....

rusty shacklefurd????

if that is him then LOL tooooo good

Revven

FrankerZ
I just e-mailed Kevin Cassidy of GoNintendo to post about this on his site (which is primarily populated by Nintendo fans). However, I have very serious doubts any of the people there will donate merely because about 80% of them hate competitive smash and even the smashers who play it competitively (with the usual insults of "elitists" and "tourney****" being thrown around). Still, I'll post the link to the news story here when it's up.

I'll also e-mail Kotaku for you as well I suppose seeing as I've tipped them off before to other things. I still very highly doubt though you'll get much support from them though either.

This is the least I could do since I don't really have the money to donate (college).

Edit: E-mailed Kotaku as well as Joystiq (though Joystiq has ignored my tips in the past). Let's see what happens.

Edit 2: Anth0ny, you should make a thread on NeoGAF, I bet you could get people to donate from there.

Top Bottom