• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"The Smash Brothers" Series: Calling All Collaborators

Twinkles

Smash Lord
From what I've gathered from hearsay, Ken would still body 90% of smashers despite not having played in years.

SpeedyJ

Smash Journeyman
I can see Travis(Samox) has a lot of passion for what he is doing, something that I used to have with melee. I hope The Smash Bros Project is a Big Success. Don't bother asking questions or anything lol I am not going to be posting anymore, all the questions would probably be answered in this kick *** Documentary anyways.

Peace out Smashboards!

hmm... this place has changed so much? wtf!?
Wow! Thank you for coming back to make one post to show us you're alive. <3

:phone:

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
respect to ken, for being an inspiration worldwide and starting that marth trend back at the beginning of competitive smash.

Good to see you actually care about the community still =) gl with your decisions

Also The Cape <333333

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
you need to re-interview me for SDR samox. we've had some surprising news. some of it will contradict what I say in the interview

Smelly Cat

Smash Journeyman
I can see Travis(Samox) has a lot of passion for what he is doing, something that I used to have with melee. I hope The Smash Bros Project is a Big Success. Don't bother asking questions or anything lol I am not going to be posting anymore, all the questions would probably be answered in this kick *** Documentary anyways.

Peace out Smashboards!

hmm... this place has changed so much? wtf!?

wow seeing this makes me feel like a real ****ing smasher

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
sephirothkens appearance was reminiscent of the seldom appearances of Red-Hair Shanks in One Piece. Shanks being a bit more of a badass of course.

Luxord

Smash Journeyman
To whomever said ken would body about 90% of melee smashers today, that's horribly wrong (imo) haha. It would be unlikely he would be able to eliminate even players at small locals due to lack of tech skill. I feel like he would still have the reflex to react and read players rolls, techs, etc. but not the skill to chase it down and punish.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
The **** are you talking about?
Ken was best in the world for like four years.
Yes he'd be rusty and not accustomed to the current metagame, but he'd still do very well.
I dont think you understand what it means to be the best, even in the early days of the game.

Yeroc

Theory Coder
BRoomer
90% of Ken's game was forcing and punishing mistakes, and just generally being efficient at killing. His tech skill was always the understated "do just what's necessary to succeed, and do it flawlessly" type. He could L-cancel with like 99% accuracy in 2003. While he (might) not actually win a national were he to enter one today, he'd be a factor for sure.

Luxord

Smash Journeyman
You kind of proved my point, that was 2003. Im only logically assumine since AT least 05 he hasnt even touched the game really. And without basic tech skill who cares if he can force mistakes if there is no followup. I love ken as much as the next guy but even with practice i cant even see him touching ANY top placing at a national, probably not even top 30 as many people seem to think he could.

@vanir i dont think YOU understand what 7-9 years of not playing does to someone...go look up Azen who practiced for months, entered (cant remember the name) and got bodied free, almost a 4 stock. It was versus a falcon i believe. And please dont say azen and ken arent comparable, ken was superior but not by a large enough margin that ken could win against any names in melee. He was and is the king of smash, but dont keep him on the pedestal of being godlike this much later.

Twinkles

Smash Lord
I think you're overestimating the skill level of local players these days, he sure wouldn't do fantastic at a national, but that's probably because mostly the best of the best actually attends nationals.

And yeah, Azen got bodied, believe it was Pound V. By a dude named Hax. Know him? One of the best Falcon players at that time? Known for ****** Shieks and Marths on an international level? Yeah, totally thought Azen had that match :p

Yah, I hate it when people inflate Ken and say he'd body Mango, PP, etc. if he came back today, but seriously watch his Ken in like 2006-2007, he's still much smarter than most smashers today. I think he'd wreck most if not all local-level players.

Stevo

Smash Champion
Hope I'm not the one looking stupid here :C

nope
it's Luxord

Ken would be fine in a big tournament today. Wouldn't win, but he would manage. The problem is he WON'T go to a tournament today. So it's kinda pointless to argue anyway.

How many people here have even played against Ken in smash?

Luxord

Smash Journeyman
@above would be fine? based on what facts, do tell. Ken would be OK because of what again?

yeah Twinkles it was Hax, and regardless of him being a slayer, it doesnt mean Azen should have gotten bodied that hard, period. Him losing wasn't the issue, it was the sheer difference in skill as you could see in the match...

twizzlerj

Smash Journeyman
I'm a nobody and ken would most likely beat me no prob but I'm pretty sure he wouldn't make it out of pool at a national tournament even if he practiced for a good amount. If need be i can post a list of probably 50 players that would beat him but whatever I'm some noob so no one will care.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Ken couldn't even beat a CPU in '08 right before he quit, so I'm not sure how you guys think he'd even make it out of R1 pools. As far as tech skill, just count the number of missed L-cancels, and you'll realize he's not all he's cracked up to be. His movement is also super sluggish in general.

SOURCE

Vkrm

Smash Lord
I'm relatively new to the scene but I'll put in my two cents. Ken dominated from like 06-08 when melee was featured on mlg. When a game is picked up by mlg that's when you have really trying to be the best. I think players now are more skilled but that was when melee saw a golden age of innovation. Ken was on top when melee was at it's fiercest in terms of competition so he is semi deserving of his title I guess, but really he was playing a different game. Smash is so different now I doubt he'd make it out of pools at a national without doing some practice first.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Ken couldn't even beat a CPU in '08 right before he quit, so I'm not sure how you guys think he'd even make it out of R1 pools. As far as tech skill, just count the number of missed L-cancels, and you'll realize he's not all he's cracked up to be. His movement is also super sluggish in general.

SOURCE
so much sarcasm....I can't handle it

Top Bottom