• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"The Smash Brothers" Series: Calling All Collaborators

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
...that was the strangest ending I have ever seen in a trailer.

What next, is this series going to end in a church and leave more questions than answers=???
Or will it end in a dinner with a question and "Don't Stop Believin'"=???
Or will it end with "Next Time on Dragon Ball Z!"

:laugh:

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
I wonder if Samox will continue to do the smash bros series thing after he finishes up the portions he wanted to do now. IE: Continuing the series with melee stuff from 2013 and beyond.

clowsui

Smash Legend
last time he visited the boards was 4/16. if he's still in school this is usually around finals time so give it a bit

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
Having seen Travis last Wednesday I can say he's still very much involved in this.

He has other projects that is he is working on, too. But he's dedicated to this and is looking to make it as amazing as possible.

samox

Smash Journeyman
Man, I wish I was crunching for finals.

Wait... no I don't. Must've had a stroke there.

I'll have another update post tomorrow (my apologies for the lateness). It will spell out some new plans for the updates and posting to this thread - namely posting responses here more frequently and posting video updates a little less frequently.

I'm not too concerned with the community tuning out a bit for now - it is totally understandable and expected actually. It's the final project I want them to tune in for.

MORE TO COME!

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Samox, I want to know how you got into smash. In one of your updates I seem to remember you saying you went to your first tourney and seeing as you have 70 posts you must've been a pretty dedicated spectator to make something so awesome.

samox

Smash Journeyman
@ KrIsp: It is true I have been a spectator for a while - actually longer than most of you think.

I started playing SSB 64 when it came out in 1999. My brother and I played with friends enough to truly appreciate the special nature of the game mechanics. It always seemed a little beyond mastery to me; a competitively epic battle infused with the best characters Nintendo had to offer and laid out like a mosh pit.

It was brilliant and hectic. And my younger brother was better at it than me.

Just to let you know, that fact is incredibly enraging (older brothers back me up on this). I could feel the salt rising in my throat as I could do nothing to stop his fox from fairing me off Sector Z for the last stock, a smirk on his cherubim face (he's 3 years younger). It only pushed me to get better.

The game was always a staple, but never really a focus of our sibling rivalry. It was only until college that I really began to see the corners of strategy contained within the engine of the game and embrace it wholeheartedly. With the help of my friends at UC Santa Cruz, I not only got a little high, but got a little good. Every enthusiast knows that feeling when they know they're the best player in the room. For a solid year, we did nothing but breathe SSB.

We actually used SSB to determine who got first dibs on the rooms of our new off-campus house. I ended up with the biggest room.

It's funny. That was 2005 - the same year Ken was absolutely WRECKING everybody that walked into his sights. Out of dozens of tourneys, only 2 were NOT 1st place finishes. I had no idea he existed (or for that matter, the whole tournament scene).

Fast forward five years and I'm living in Boston with my brother and his GameCube.

I think you know where it went from there. :)

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
LOL to this day my little brother never lets me forget that he was better than me at melee for like the first week we got the game

samox

Smash Journeyman
Just got back last night from 5 days in MD/VA.

Had excellent interviews with some players at Civil War 4 in Richmond and at Chu's place in Falls Church, including in depth ones with Chu Dat, Chillin, Wife, DoH and Mau.

Thanks to Chu for letting me crash at his place! Nothing like the hospitality of Smashers to restore one's hope in humanity.

The project marches on! Interviews still to do: M2K, Ken and Mango.

MORE TO COME!

samox

Smash Journeyman
Thanks Avalancer! You are a true gentleman and a scholar worthy of much celebration - a King Among Men.

Varist

Smash Lord
wait what does KAM stand for?

edit wait i mean **** no is it KAM? is that a thing i don't

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer
Samox: are you planning on visiting the south? like GA/FL? :)

@Yeroc. That works for me :)

Keblerelf

Smash Ace
samox said:
Just to let you know, that fact is incredibly enraging (older brothers back me up on this). I could feel the salt rising in my throat as I could do nothing to stop his fox from fairing me off Sector Z for the last stock, a smirk on his cherubim face (he's 3 years younger)
OMG are you me? I have a younger brother 3 years younger than I am and he beats me constantly.

I don't see myself as the older brother anymore. It's almost emasculating.

samox

Smash Journeyman
Yes, I most certainly am planning to visit the south. I have more than a few interviews to do down there.

I'm going to try and make it sooner rather than later, but that's going to be fund permitting. :)

samox

Smash Journeyman
SORT OF UPDATE!

It's not a cool video and it's not long - just wanted to let you guys know the exciting stuff that I'm doing right now!!!

Transcribing. And transcribing. Oh yeah, and transcribing.

As awesome as it is to run around and shoot video, the aftermath is me parsing each and every word so I can go back and cull the prettiest bits. It's a necessary (but tedious) part of producing most documentaries.

In the mean time, if anyone has any interest in indie game titles like Meat Man and Braid, here's a doc coming out June 12th about just that. I have a feeling documentaries about gaming will only become more and more common.

Top Bottom