• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The [Shocking] Official R.O.B. Video Critique Thread

dettadeus

Smash Lord
Also for the Jump -> Z catch, I am pretty sure that would work, it would just have to be Z caught INSTANTLY when you jump, because on in incline the Gyro is like, harder to catch regardless, I have tried it before, but I just usually Dash-Attack it because being in the air is putting yourself in a horrid situation if the opponent is close, if you Dash-Attack away from them, to get the Gyro, then you have it, and you're now safe. Can't really punish that, unless they run up and grab.
I'm really good at Z-Catching since I secondary Diddy and Peach. Although being in the air with a gyro in your hand does pose a problem, I suppose.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Premium
I hate the Ike MU. I lose to Kirk and Meneil all the time. I'll go into detail later, I need to be somewhere now. I think it's Ike's advantage, btw.

8Bitman

Smash Master
Staying grounded is an option, but our ground game<His ground game.
NO! Our's is better, his Ground game is his only ground game. His air game sucks if we stay grounded. We punish if he stay's in the air.

I hate the MU though, we've both agreed its easily 60-40 in Ike's favour.
NO! It is not even close to that. At our worst it is 50/50. IMO, it should be 45/55.

Hmmm...... Interesting...

:phone:
INTRUDER ALERT! INTRUDER ALERT!

Do you guys give general critiques to random strangers who second R.O.B.?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v1...xt=C3c65b9eUDOEgsToPDskJUhvhEgqAuE-KQemfTXLpV
Doesn't matter, a R.O.B is a R.O.B. =)

Chef Fox

Smash Apprentice
Before I waste about 9001 Paragraphs. Who is your Main? Because R.O.B is a -2 against ZSS. -1 IMO if they don't use the Infinite.
My main is Fox, who has a +1ish matchup on Zero Suit Samus, but I wanted my R.O.B. critiqued, and and ZSS is my crewmate's main. My crewmates main ZSS, King Dedede, Falco, Olimar... it's not exactly a R.O.B. friendly place, so this is all I could manage. Should I have tried to get one of R.O.B.'s better matchups?

8Bitman

Smash Master
Honestly I would have never changed to R.O.B with that type of Advantage. No point in doing it.

But I can definitely Critique ya.

Mainly your only problem was that you don't understand the properties of ZSS/R.O.B.

R.O.B's Fair breaks through ZSS's Armor Pieces, so does his Gyro. R.O.B's Fair is his best move in this MU. I would say Bair too, since it trades with all of ZSS's moves. =)

Also always UTilt after Dash Attacking if they are above you. In that match you Dash Attacked and could have combo'd her a lot. Dash Attack -> UTilt -> UAir -> w/e..

Chef Fox

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, in a tournament match I would only go R.O.B. for characters like Ice Climbers, Sheik, Pika, basically anyone who chain grabs/locks Fox to death :( R.O.B. is just too fun not to play sometimes though!
Thank you for the critique. Is Dash Attack to Utilt guaranteed on all/most characters? I was careful not to be too aggressive with combos on ZSS because her Uair is extremely fast and disjointed and would have probably countered anything I did except run away or shield.

8Bitman

Smash Master
It isn't a guaranteed combo on anyone. But it always works... I know I sound stupid saying it, but it is just one of those things that works. It doesn't work on CPU's, but it does on Humans. because no one Air Dodges it at that timing, I guess.

Chef Fox

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I get that, it's just like Fox's Dash Attack -> Utilt. Not a combo, but always works. Thanks 8Bitman I'll try to use that more often.

8Bitman

Smash Master
Lol, thanks for that Bud.

This was actually a fun set to watch. I won't bother anyone with my extremely long critique, so I will just message you on FB, unless you want my very short version. If you want the long one, where I bring up exact seconds in the match and find solutions, message me. I don't think we should have any trouble with DK. =)

No worries though Mr. Eric, it was the 4th best DK. :3

dettadeus

Smash Lord
K, a couple things I noticed:
-At the start of the match you lasered twice, both in the wrong direction. After firing a laser, there's a two second "recharge" period regardless of the current level of charge, meaning you only get the burst with a fire hitbox at point-blank range. Basically, if you fire a laser, regardless of whether or not it hits, do something else for the next two seconds before thinking of using it again.
-Your opponent crouched. A lot. You tried F-Tilting him and missed every time. F-tilt can be angled up and down, and a down-angled F-tilt would've hit him from outside of his D-tilt range. In fact, R.O.B.'s D-Tilt would probably outrange Snake's, and it comes out frame 4 IIRC.
-You fired the Gyro a lot when it was really obvious and the Snake could do anything he wanted to not get hit by it. Use it when he's in his Cypher, or landing in the middle of an aerial if you want to hit him with it directly. Gyrocancelling is awesome; you can cancel the charging phase and save the current charge by pressing your shield input.

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
K, a couple things I noticed:
-At the start of the match you lasered twice, both in the wrong direction. After firing a laser, there's a two second "recharge" period regardless of the current level of charge, meaning you only get the burst with a fire hitbox at point-blank range. Basically, if you fire a laser, regardless of whether or not it hits, do something else for the next two seconds before thinking of using it again.
Yeah, both of those lasers were me messing up the input for charging a Gyro, and I did know abou the recharge period, just not how long it was. Thanks for that info. The other things I definitely notice watching the match back again, thanks for pointing them out, I probably wouldn't have noticed them otherwise.

EDIT: Here's another Match http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXqho45YQc4
I didn't do very well in this one, and it definitely shows how bad I am.

Gike

Smash Cadet
EDIT: Here's another Match http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXqho45YQc4
I didn't do very well in this one, and it definitely shows how bad I am.
Some things i noticed:

- At the beginning of the match you jumped offstage, thus putting yourself in a bad spot. One example for a more solid start would be platform drop -> gyro charge / laser.
- You landed / came back onstage too often with nair. Try mixing your landing up with airdodges, wavebounce gyro and aerials.
- At 2:15 your laggy bair momentum cancel cost you the stock. I guess an airdodge on reaction would have been a better option, though i think that would lead to an up air -> fair frametrap by sheik (i am not very familiar with the matchup myself). Try to avoid being above sheik.

sneakytako

Smash Lord
your getting blown up on the ground because you don't tilt/jab. I didn't see one ftlit/dtilt/uptilt/jab throughout the entire first game. All those faclo's nair approaches could have been shut down with ftilt/uptilt and proper spacing. You also never stop approaching falco, you should be camping at the beginning of every stock to trade percent rather than eating chaingrab. Falco chaingrab stops working at about 45%, you should be looking to trade about 20-30% during that time.

Also you're super predictable with your projectiles, mix it up with charging gryo/gryo cancel/retreating lasers.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
Let's see what I noticed game 1:
-Neither of you know how to play the MU, lol. He was just doing generic Falco stuff and you kept getting caught in it.
-Learn to perfectshield lasers, I saw you just jumping into them a lot and giving the Falco even more free percent than his CG gives him.
-Don't randomly throw out Bairs and Nairs. Bair is basically your best kill move in this matchup, and Nair is your only real option outside of Bair and gimping.
-Dair sucks in general, don't use it unless you're like between him and the ledge and he has to Fire Bird straight up to recover. Even then, there's a better risk/reward if you just grab the ledge.
-He was randomly throwing out his Reflector for no reason. Perfectshield it and punish that crazy endlag. The only things Falco should use Reflector for in this matchup (if at all) are charged lasers and obvious gyros, and even then, a perfectshield is less punishable.
-Learn to use your gyro. This is one of R.O.B.'s best assets, and you either didn't use it at all or let the Falco have it. You also got hit by it a lot. Playing R.O.B. means you need to have good item control skills. Not as good as you'd need for like the first minute of playing ZSS or Peach in general (or lolsnake) but you need to be good at it. Glide-tossing is the first step to this, I don't think I saw you use it at all. You should also ALWAYS try to have better item control than your opponent, if only with your own Gyro.
-Laugh at the Falco for messing up his D-Throw > BDacus every time. It'll annoy him and make him mess up inputs and play more aggro, giving you more opportunities to punish.
-Learn to aim your laser. IMO this is equal to gyro control as one of the most important aspects of R.O.B.'s game. It's a free 5% if you know how to aim, pisses people off, disrupts the flow of their gameplay, and especially can gimp characters like Falco if used at the right time.
-Don't randomly run in with SH Nair. It's telegraphed, laggy, and one of your few kill moves. You can't get anything but extra percent out of it at low percents.

Not sure what else to say. Didn't watch the other two matches.

Jamage

Smash Ace
NNID
Jamage007
3DS FC
5412-9923-5145
Switch FC
1787 8077 0889
Let's see what I noticed game 1:
-Neither of you know how to play the MU, lol. He was just doing generic Falco stuff and you kept getting caught in it.
-Learn to perfectshield lasers, I saw you just jumping into them a lot and giving the Falco even more free percent than his CG gives him.
-Don't randomly throw out Bairs and Nairs. Bair is basically your best kill move in this matchup, and Nair is your only real option outside of Bair and gimping.
-Dair sucks in general, don't use it unless you're like between him and the ledge and he has to Fire Bird straight up to recover. Even then, there's a better risk/reward if you just grab the ledge.
-He was randomly throwing out his Reflector for no reason. Perfectshield it and punish that crazy endlag. The only things Falco should use Reflector for in this matchup (if at all) are charged lasers and obvious gyros, and even then, a perfectshield is less punishable.
-Learn to use your gyro. This is one of R.O.B.'s best assets, and you either didn't use it at all or let the Falco have it. You also got hit by it a lot. Playing R.O.B. means you need to have good item control skills. Not as good as you'd need for like the first minute of playing ZSS or Peach in general (or lolsnake) but you need to be good at it. Glide-tossing is the first step to this, I don't think I saw you use it at all. You should also ALWAYS try to have better item control than your opponent, if only with your own Gyro.
-Laugh at the Falco for messing up his D-Throw > BDacus every time. It'll annoy him and make him mess up inputs and play more aggro, giving you more opportunities to punish.
-Learn to aim your laser. IMO this is equal to gyro control as one of the most important aspects of R.O.B.'s game. It's a free 5% if you know how to aim, pisses people off, disrupts the flow of their gameplay, and especially can gimp characters like Falco if used at the right time.
-Don't randomly run in with SH Nair. It's telegraphed, laggy, and one of your few kill moves. You can't get anything but extra percent out of it at low percents.

Not sure what else to say. Didn't watch the other two matches.
Cheers. That 1st match was pretty bad imo I played better in the other 2.

sneakytako

Smash Lord
Against Pit:

Yeah I saw this game, sucks you tripped on game three.

You probably already know that you should have had stock 2 of game one so I'm not going to go into too much detail. You just didn't need to jump, have faith in ROB recovery.

You figured out a lot during your match, but ftilt was the key. During game 1-2 you missed out on a lot of chances to deny his approach with it. FYI it also clashes with arrows lol.

You started to see timings that you could upsmash. The reason why it was working was because he was airdodging expecting a fast fair, but you would do a hyphen upsmash. I like the use of your empty jumps but as he's falling about at the height of our second jump you can empty short hop to see if he airdodges and upsmash him. If not you should be where you expect him to land, shield grab his landing. (characters can only grab you if they don't fast fall and create hard landing lag, watch for his fall speed to predict when he's going for a empty fall into grab). Also it beats ff bair.

You should plant the gyro on the edge of the stage more, it helps cover you/creates wall against arrows/create extended hit lag against his Up-air when you go for a spike. Just stay patient and cover his jump with bair. If he tries to camp the ledge get close the ledge and ftilt, retreat when he re-grabs the ledge. He was beating you at this stage of the game most often, just give him some space and plant the gyro, it should net better results.

When your under shield pressure, just run away up. The worst he can do usually is to fair you, that kills you at like 200+. Although landing usually sucks stall him with Dair+up-b some, it can mess up his spacing so you can cover your landing with nair/bair.

IDK just my thoughts.

EDIT:

Here's some friendlies I had with a Wario from Iowa (BPOW) at vengeance. Don't take them too seriously, but I believe ROB nair is the best thing evar lol. The lag gets alot better after about 3 min in.

http://www.twitch.tv/vgbootcamp/b/314258050

dettadeus

Smash Lord
Brutal, eh?
-0:19 - You used the Laser really close to Lucario, while you were both in the air and facing each other, at an angle it wouldn't hit the Lucario at. Generally, don't use your laser in any sort of close quarters with your opponent.
-0:22 - You just floated into his Fair with your Fair. Lucario's Fair beats your Fair. Don't do this.
-0:25 - You lasered in the wrong direction.
-0:28 - You lasered downwards while Lucario was above you. Had you angled it up, you would've hit.
-0:31 - Same thing. You keep angling it down when an up-angled laser would hit dead-on.
Something to keep in mind is that the Laser's recharge time is 2 seconds for minimal charge, and 20 seconds for maximum charge. You've used it (and missed) four times in 12 seconds, so basically one per 3 seconds. That ain't Falco, don't be spamming this.
-0:35 - Again with the down-angled laser, and again using it really, really often.
-0:36 - And here's why you don't laser so often. You tried to Laser at point-blank range and it didn't even fire because you used it one second earlier, then got hit in the face with Lucario's Fair. And got combo'd for 35%.
-0:44 - Random U-Smash. I don't think it even would've killed at this percent.
-0:47 - The first time you actually hit with the laser, lol. You aimed up that time.
-0:51 - See what aiming it up gets you? Free percent. :D
-1:06 - You could've Z-Caught the Gyro, instead you floated for a sec and tried to Fair and it fell too far. If you're gonna grab your gyro, do it, if you're not, don't look like you're going to.
-1:13 - Don't just challenge Lucario in the air like that. It's not a good idea in general.
-1:24 - Not sure what you were thinking that made F-Smash be a good idea against a Lucario on the edge with a fully-charged, 147% Aura Sphere. Just shield, or plant a gyro at the ledge to be safe. A Gyro of any charge will eat up an Aura Sphere if it's sitting on the ground.
-1:38 - You put yourself directly above Lucario in the air. Don't do this.
-2:07 - Again with using the Laser at point-blank.
-2:41 - Again aiming the laser down when your opponent is up.
-2:46 - You laser in the wrong direction.
-3:03 - Don't spot-dodge spam against Lucario, Dair goes right through spot-dodges.
-3:10 - That point-blank laser again. You got Baired before it even came out.
-3:15 - Don't Robocopter. Just don't.
-3:19 - Momentum cancel with Fair, not Bair.
-4:43 - You just sort of stood there while he started charging his Aura Sphere. On top of you.
-5:03 - Get used to powershielding Aura Spheres.

Will edit in a bit for match 2.

-0:27 - You just randomly started getting combo'd really hard here.
-0:50 - Yes, you hit with it, just try not to use it that much. He could've F-Smashed as easily as using Aura Sphere and just hit you hard.
-1:18 - Not really sure what that whole bunch of shenanigans was but it got you killed.
-2:19 - Don't U-Smash at such low percents. SH U-air would've worked better.
Didn't notice a whole lot else in this match that you didn't do in the other match, although you lasered less and aimed it better.

Overall, you need to work on your Laser play a lot, and know when you can and can't challenge Lucario, especially in the air. Your technicals seem pretty solid (except for lasers and the occasional Robocopter).

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
Most of the downward lasers where me trying to charge a Gyro and mistiming the inputs. Other than that, I'll definitely try to work on the things you said to do. Thanks for the critique.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
Only looked at like, the first half of the first one.
Both look fairly solid, only real critiques I can make are that they use Nair WAY too much (and since they're playing the ditto it's like, the only reliable kill move since R.O.B. is so tough to gimp) and that they use U-Smash a lot, especially when U-Tilt would be safer and when they're not even in kill range (e.g. person on platform shielding, person under platform u-smashes instead of repeatedly u-tilts).
like, around 4:34, yellow R.O.B. interrupts green R.O.B.'s nair with U-Air and then u-smashes upon landing then gets faired, when an u-tilt would've hit.

Other than that they look like pretty solid R.O.B.s from the 5 minutes I watched.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
@PMC66 I didn't watch a whole lot of it, but against Jigglypuff you need to abuse tilts and SH Fair way more. She can't really approach you if you do it right.
-SH height (Bair, Fair, Dair): F-tilt, SH Fair
-FH/DJ height (Dair, Nair): U-Tilt, SH/FH Fair
-Ground Height (Dash attack? lol): D-Tilt..? Have a gyro sitting out, I guess.

Get kills with Bair and Nair, which means don't use them at all until she's at 130% or higher. If you're certain you can kill with Nair, then you could use Bair for spacing.

Most of her moves aren't safe on shield unless she spaces them perfectly, and it didn't look like that jigglypuff was spacing very well at all. U-Tilt OoS or shieldgrab would be good punishes.

Pro-tip when playing any jigglypuff player that uses rest (I'm one of them): they will get super salty if they miss hitting you with Rest (especially if they die because of it) and they will start fishing for it. Play super-defensively if this happens, ledge-attack was a really bad idea since the jiggs had her respawn invincibility and you extend your hurtbox with your arms.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTdC4rYIr_4&list=UUiolyi_nXGB8_A6PXXhqx2Q&index=1&feature=plcp(crew style)

Hey guys these are matches from last saturday. Please critique me playing against Wolf.. I suck at dealing with aggressive bairs.

Vs wolf:
33:00 - 37:30 and 49:02 - end

Be brutal if you want :)
Not really going to be brutal because 1.) I don't really have the time, and 2.) I don't see the need to. Just some general stuff that will help out with the MU:

I can see in the video of how you're having trouble handling the onslaught of wolf bairs. You have to learn how to zone it. Wolf is a character that you really need to exploit his openings. They're not the largest window of openings but they're there. You displayed in the video that you could do it at 34:55. You stayed away, avoiding having to shield and snuck your way in to a PS grab. Good stuff. Soon later, you stood in your shield and let him diminish it down 34:59. Even if you hadn't went for the grab, your shield was so low that something was bound to poke. Probably a spaced fsmash.
And with those bairs, you can't let him corner you to the ledge. That's right where he wants you, with no room to work with. You've gotta find ways to exploit those openings and push him back. Or else you will be in a place you definitely don't want to be. You will be subject to many fsmashes/dsmashes im sure.

Next bit of info, glidetoss up. Never at him unless for some crazy reason you know it's safe. Down is somewhat okay, especially when you're in like dtilt and jab range. Glidetossing downwards and hitting him with the top can lead to an upsmash and he's less likely to reflect it if you're that close. If you glidetoss up, you can travel further more consistently, keep a hazard in the air, keep the gyro alive longer, and bait reflector while avoiding being reflected.
Example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjJBpoLdL_k
0:14

And finally, 50:00 lol wut

But naw, overall nice ROB. I saw some ftilts that stopped his bair too. Mayhaps try working on that as well as I'm not sure how well that works.

Hope this helps.

Top Bottom