• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sheik Compendium of Advanced Techniques, Combos, and Tricks (Wii U)

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
nah its frame 5 in both brawl and smash 4. It does seem a tad smaller, although I think it still pokes through BF platform.
I seen a video a while back showing a comparison between Brawl Sheik and Smash 4 Sheik and u-tilt was a lot slower in that video. I can't find it now though, which sucks. This was pre patch so maybe it got changed or maybe the animation is deceptive. idk

Either way u-tilt's hit box got nerfed.

Judo777

Smash Master
I seen a video a while back showing a comparison between Brawl Sheik and Smash 4 Sheik and u-tilt was a lot slower in that video. I can't find it now though, which sucks. This was pre patch so maybe it got changed or maybe the animation is deceptive. idk

Either way u-tilt's hit box got nerfed.
My info was off the frame data tristan just posted, saying it was frame 5 in the new game. It seems that in both games all of sheiks tilts are frame 5.

Dyce

Smash Cadet
In regards to a ledge nade, if you are on the ledge and drop a little enough to wall jump back up, you can do a side b toward the stage and it is a guaranteed grab to the ledge.

Shack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShackShack
3DS FC
1392-5021-7831
For what its worth we should post some more item tech if there is anything because you CAN pick up sheiks grenade if you get punched in the mouth while doing it. It probably is literally the smallest item in the game. It also works strangely well against duck hunt because that little ball knocks awake most of his zoning tools and you can just pick it back up on the bounce.
Is that the Fish Bomb?

Jackson

Smash Lord
Updated with some new techs from our friend @ Othayuni Othayuni :

Theif nade (burst grenade section)
Stormclouding (needles section)
Tomahawk Feint (aerial section)

I highly suggest you guys especially look at the tomahawk feint. It's pretty great, and I know I didn't think of that before.

Othayuni

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0061-1205-7394
I'm really honored to be here. And may I just say I am very excited about aerial b-reverse and fidget tech at the moment so big ups to @ Jackson Jackson , @ Wasserwipf Wasserwipf and @ saviorslegacy saviorslegacy for the roles you all played in bringing those to my attention.

Jackson

Smash Lord
I'm really honored to be here. And may I just say I am very excited about aerial b-reverse and fidget tech at the moment so big ups to @ Jackson Jackson , @ Wasserwipf Wasserwipf and @ saviorslegacy saviorslegacy for the roles you all played in bringing those to my attention.
Yeah! I think we're one of the best character boards in terms of fast metagame/tech development.

EDIT: Lol, wtf. sorry about that triple post.... it kept showing the loading sign so i kept posting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Othayuni

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0061-1205-7394
It's good, we'll just pretend it's cause you're SUPER PASSIONATE about how driven the sheik boards are. Aren't we all.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
If you're holding the joystick left or right and you land with F-air at a certain height, you will automatically perform a dash. Also works with B-air

Last edited:

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
I was testing it out and it has to do with the c-stick. If you hold it and release it while holding the joystick, it'll automatically dash

Last edited:

CruS

Smash Rookie
Hi,

Maybe this should be in another thread feel free to move it as I don't post but rather browse the forums normally.

Disclaimer: I am not very good ;)

I am sure I get the DI wrong, when I last played online(!) this Sheik i was playing against consistently combo'd D-Throw->Fair->Fair->j.Fair->Fair->BF. He also did some other insane stuff and I have saved replays of these but I was quite surprised by how I could not escape this. Does DI work differently in S4?

When I, on the other hand, D-Throwed him I could barely get the first F-air with his DI. Perhaps I'm just not jumping fast enough after the throw. He would consistently get his air dodge off before I reached him. When I play my brother I'd always get it.

Ps. I was playing Sheik as well.

I have replays of his combos, any suggestions on how to show them to you? DS.

Wasserwipf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wasserwipf
3DS FC
2809-9876-8323
Hi,

Maybe this should be in another thread feel free to move it as I don't post but rather browse the forums normally.

Disclaimer: I am not very good ;)

I am sure I get the DI wrong, when I last played online(!) this Sheik i was playing against consistently combo'd D-Throw->Fair->Fair->j.Fair->Fair->BF. He also did some other insane stuff and I have saved replays of these but I was quite surprised by how I could not escape this. Does DI work differently in S4?

When I, on the other hand, D-Throwed him I could barely get the first F-air with his DI. Perhaps I'm just not jumping fast enough after the throw. He would consistently get his air dodge off before I reached him. When I play my brother I'd always get it.

Ps. I was playing Sheik as well.

I have replays of his combos, any suggestions on how to show them to you? DS.
The problem I have with Fair>Fair>doublejump>fair>fair>BF is that my opponent by then is to high so my BF does not connect. Of course, it could be you being slow or him DI ing effectivly, but keep in mind your fair strings (and F-tilt) are not as guaranteed as people make them out to be.
DI seems to work the same or pretty similar to how it did in previous titles. People say its less effectiv, and people say there's still some VIing left, but overall its more or less the same. So, usually, for a Dthrow, you want to DI away. It makes it harder for Sheik to follow up then, and even if she does, her further follow ups get harder and harder (kind of a chain reaction). HOWEVER, you do not want to DI away if Sheik Fthrows. Because thats when you'll get a BF to your face. For Fair, you might try to DI up, to get similar effects to what I described earlier. Also, never forget to mash that Shield button and maybe doublejump. Both can help you get out of combos.
To answer your question to whee you should have posted this, this thread seems fine, even tho I'd recommend going here (you could even be the first one to respod there!)

As for replays, use your digital camara if you have nothing else. There is currently now method of sharing replays. :/ If you want good quality, you have to buy a capture card... and those are expensive.

Hope that helps a bit.

Silokkes

Smash Rookie
I don't understand how to do a thief nade using a run off nade cancel, with the nade going over the blast zone (away from stage) without SDing. I can only do it with a short hop.

Wasserwipf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wasserwipf
3DS FC
2809-9876-8323
I don't understand how to do a thief nade using a run off nade cancel, with the nade going over the blast zone (away from stage) without SDing. I can only do it with a short hop.
As far as I know, it's not possible. Or lets say, I havn't been able to pull it off, even tho I tested it numerous times. @_Tree mentioned the same thing in his video, so you're not the only one who has that problem. It was possbile before 1.0.4 tho if you knew how .-. me still sad.

Othayuni

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0061-1205-7394
I decided to investigate more closely the question about the f-air dash technique and I'd like to clarify that, yes, f-air definitely has an autocancel. You can visually see it zoomed in; sheik will either land where she needs to crouch and place a hand on the ground (no cancel) or just bend her knees and cross her arms in front of herself (yes cancel). It speeds the already-fast recovery of the move up quite a bit. I think the word is that most aerials have some point at which they auto cancel but I think what makes ninja smack so special is that its auto cancel timing fits very naturally with its shff timing. I'm sure this is what makes the tomahawk feint work with fair but not nair, and occasionally fails even with fair. My times I've failed at it were probably because I faired too low and didn't pick up the auto cancel for the instant spot dodge. A hidden piece of technology in that technique I didn't even recognize.

Last edited:

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Now that I'm thinking about it I'm surprised this isn't noted here. @ Jackson Jackson

Sheik can climb any wall by preforming the following

Wall cling, extra jump (push up), wall jump, hold toward the stage, wall cling. This pattern can be repeated up to 2 times before no longer working on the 5th barely countable cling and it does not require Sheik double jump.

If you want to name it call it mountain climbing or ninja climb. Heck call it Tree Climbing Jutsu and let all Naruto fans smirk at the bad name.

link to original post with more info:
http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...-and-tricks-wii-u.371988/page-4#post-17920038

edit: So Sheik horizontal speed has been found, among with everyone else but what does this mean?
http://smashboards.com/threads/wip-...ard-characters-complete.383217/#post-18216346

Well with this information we can start drawing conclusions about just how possible it will be to link multiple fair's in a row.
For example lets look at Dedede with his super slow air mobility
Sheik 0.8375
Dedede 0.4875

It doesn't take a math genius to see that Sheik is much faster in the air which means once we hit Dedede away with a fair even if he holds away we will eventually catch up. However since we are just THAT much faster it shouldn't take us any time at all really.

Now lets look at Mega man
Sheik 0.8375
Mega man 0.8500

and that's my plane, logic that out everyone ^___^
Now as you can see Mega man air mobility is higher then ours, that's bad. When you are fighting someone who has greater speed then you it's going to be a lot harder to catch up to them and combo or string multiple fair together...and that's it.

Last edited:

Wasserwipf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wasserwipf
3DS FC
2809-9876-8323
@ Jackson Jackson mainly, but it might be intresting for the others too.
I promised I would do so, and so I did. Took me waaay longer than it should, but first things first:
-I tried to get the best quality with still reasonable file size. No gif is larger than 10MB
-I tried to show the tech as good as possible. Some are a bit shaky, but i think most are fine
-File size should be 640x360 @20 FPS. One is 10 for some reason.
-I did not make gifs for:
-DI/VI
-Instant dash attack (I dont think its necessary... and I cannot pull it off properly, i guess lol
-Reverse Boost
-Tech chase
-Shield Grab
-Pit nade (too obvious)
-Sponge nade (i was not able to gather nice footage. I might do some later... or just steel the base videos somewhere *cough*
-Fish blimp (too set up, but i have something similar, see below)
-Rage mechanic

Ok, nothing in order, I'm lazy. Long list. Click on the name to get to the gif.
If you need any redone or some others done (if you want a fancy combo or something...) feel free to ask as well!

I hope I actually did them correct, if not, please inform me.

I did not Watermark any of them, feel free to use them where ever you want. As long as you don't claim you made them. This really was alot of work.

Have fun.

Blitzern

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Blitzern
Dash attack cancelled grab vs. roll cancel grab??

Is one longer than the other?

tyhiggz

Smash Apprentice
@ Jackson Jackson mainly, but it might be intresting for the others too.
I promised I would do so, and so I did. Took me waaay longer than it should, but first things first:
-I tried to get the best quality with still reasonable file size. No gif is larger than 10MB
-I tried to show the tech as good as possible. Some are a bit shaky, but i think most are fine
-File size should be 640x360 @20 FPS. One is 10 for some reason.
-I did not make gifs for:
-DI/VI
-Instant dash attack (I dont think its necessary... and I cannot pull it off properly, i guess lol
-Reverse Boost
-Tech chase
-Shield Grab
-Pit nade (too obvious)
-Sponge nade (i was not able to gather nice footage. I might do some later... or just steel the base videos somewhere *cough*
-Fish blimp (too set up, but i have something similar, see below)
-Rage mechanic

Ok, nothing in order, I'm lazy. Long list. Click on the name to get to the gif.
If you need any redone or some others done (if you want a fancy combo or something...) feel free to ask as well!

I hope I actually did them correct, if not, please inform me.

I did not Watermark any of them, feel free to use them where ever you want. As long as you don't claim you made them. This really was alot of work.

Have fun.
Wow. Thank you for putting that together. Having something to reference for everything will make learning everything and visualizing easier.

Envoy_

Smash Cadet
Question for you guys. What uses does perfect pivoting have over wave needling and vice versa? I want to know if one's just more superior or if they both have their uses. I personally have been using perfect pivoting more, but I would like to know what you guys think.

Danimal197

Smash Apprentice
Question for you guys. What uses does perfect pivoting have over wave needling and vice versa? I want to know if one's just more superior or if they both have their uses. I personally have been using perfect pivoting more, but I would like to know what you guys think.
Well, perfect pivot is like 6000 times easier to do, and if you mess it up is generally more difficult to punish, but the distance you get from wave needle is larger, and it looks way cooler.

I heard M2K say that shiek's uair animation is longer than airdodge, can anyone confirm this?

Absol

Sucker Punch
NNID
xenxio
Well, perfect pivot is like 6000 times easier to do, and if you mess it up is generally more difficult to punish, but the distance you get from wave needle is larger, and it looks way cooler.

I heard M2K say that shiek's uair animation is longer than airdodge, can anyone confirm this?
it would be character Dependant. There have been times where that has worked for me when I was juggling an opponent. So we just need air dogde frame data per chacter vs uair frame data. Knowing how much m2k goes into frame data, he probably isn't wrong. But I have no means of testing frame perfect inputs or data.

Last edited:

Absol

Sucker Punch
NNID
xenxio
Wow...We've only had this game for such a short time and its to no debate that we have the most fruitful tech/trick character thread opposed to the rest. In any case I found something minor thats also major. During a Rising Needle Storm you can pivot it mid air and change your momentum completely. Similar to a B reverse, except in the air. Because of this we actually have a way to combo into needles after that 1.4 patch stitched us. Rising Pivot Needle Storm allows us with a good mix up thats safe since we have left over frames to work with. Should they shield the needles we simply jump/run away, or add more pressure. Whats more is that people expect sheik to have lag on air needles, so its also a good way to bait them into thinking you're open. But should they not shield your needles....well then there's a lot of possibilities afterwards.

Othayuni

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0061-1205-7394
I decided to do a little examination of vanish auto-canceling. I had a question to answer for myself, which was: is autocanceling vanish always necessarily faster? Is reappearing on the ground always necessarily slower? And should I always try to autocancel vanish?

The answer I found is no, no, and yes-if-reappearing-in-the-air. Basically, what I found is that the reappearance lag--that is, the time between when you reappear from vanish and when you can shield--is uniform, as long as the lag finishes on the ground. Reappearing in the air with an autocancelled landing does not seem to shorten the time between reappearing and being able to shield; it just delegates some or most of the reappearance lag to when you're falling out of the sky. The only time there's a difference in lag is when your reappearance lag finishes in the air and you become helpless, which has a bunch of extra lag upon landing.

So the benefit of vanishing diagonally from the ground is probably that it keeps you moving. Since you spend most of your reappearance lag falling rather than stuck to the ground, you can be a little harder to track and hit this way. A fully horizontal vanish will always put you the furthest away, however, so if you need that more than to keep moving, keep in mind that technically it recovers just as quickly.

With few exceptions, when you're vanishing out of the air it's a great idea to aim so you either reappear directly on the ground or reappear within autocancelling height (those heights at which your reappearance lag will not wear off before you hit the ground). Keep in mind that reappearing directly on the ground is not necessarily slower (just more static) and as such not necessarily a bad thing if the positioning is favorable.

When you say Vanish autocanceling, you mean vanishing from the air onto the ground so you land with nearly no lag, right?

Othayuni

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0061-1205-7394
When you say Vanish autocanceling, you mean vanishing from the air onto the ground so you land with nearly no lag, right?
Yep, that's right. It can be pretty much actually no lag if the timing is perfect; it depends how far from the air you're falling from.

Othayuni

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0061-1205-7394
I want to give you all an update on tomahawk feinting, now that I've been having a chance to do it against some comp-level people who can read really fast. It seems to be that on the standard, sixth-frame-hit grab, if the person knows when the feint is coming and grabs immediately after the ninja smack, they can often get me just before the spot dodge. This requires pretty perfect timing on their part because a lot of times they miss and the tech succeeds but it seems as though it's a possibility for the tech to fail. I'm not sure yet if this is a problem with my execution or the limitations of the technique because the timing is so tight and the results vary from person to person. So I'm trying to figure out some of the finer points of the tech. I'll try to keep you all updated!

Edit: Clarifications

Last edited:

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Since vanish is so important to sheik I'll just leave this note here.

No DI from center of stage on FD Mario dies from vanish at 126%
If however you decay vanish once (used it early) it will kill again at 132%
Assuming you landed only one move inbetween the vanishs. More is always better.

Last edited:

Jackson

Smash Lord
Everybody: Honestly, I no longer play/have interest in Smash 4, so I don't plan to do anything to this thread anymore (I know it needs updates). I don't want to see it go though. Someone can feel free to copy paste all my writings into a new thread and do other stuff with it, and this one here can be deleted.

Thanks.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Everybody: Honestly, I no longer play/have interest in Smash 4, so I don't plan to do anything to this thread anymore (I know it needs updates). I don't want to see it go though. Someone can feel free to copy paste all my writings into a new thread and do other stuff with it, and this one here can be deleted.

Thanks.
That's a shame; a mod should be able to take over the thread though, or give ownership of the OP to someone else (not sure how, but I've seen it done before).

Best of luck in the future, though!

Tristan_win

Not dead.
...Yeah I can switch ownership to someone but it's really a shame to see you go Jackson.

I'll make sure to badger whoever gets this thread until they give you the credit you deserve.

Othayuni

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0061-1205-7394

Thanks.
I'll miss you. You really helped me feel like I belonged here.

Jackson

Smash Lord
^ Thanks @ Tristan_win Tristan_win . I don't know, I really just lost interest... I might still be around the boards a bit, I'm just comitting to Melee as of now. But thanks for ensuring me credit, I really did work hard on this.

No problem, @ Othayuni Othayuni . You seem like a cool guy.

I left the Skype group because I don't have anything to contribute anymore, so feel free to add in another guy if you feel like it.

Last edited:

Envoy_

Smash Cadet

Thanks.
Sad to see you go. Best of luck with the future mate.

Top Bottom