• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sheik Compendium of Advanced Techniques, Combos, and Tricks (Wii U)

Gionni

Smash Apprentice
When I use the wave needle technique i don't slide, i tried it a lot of times, i dash, then use the reversed needles and shield but shiek doesn't slide, am i doing something wrong or has this to do with the 1.4 patch?

Last edited:

Erodote

Smash Rookie
Try to do it without shielding. You should just be able to do grounded reserve needles.
You're not supposed to glide a lot ... Shield will just cancel needles animation

Gionni

Smash Apprentice
Try to do it without shielding. You should just be able to do grounded reserve needles.
You're not supposed to glide a lot ... Shield will just cancel needles animation
Ok i'll try it in this way, could it be that a use the needles after losing the momentum from the dash? Anyway thank you

moy00

Smash Rookie
You will slide a lot if you do it really quickly after you started to run, but you cant use your B during the first dash animation, sheik has to be considered as "running". The timing is a bit tricky.

Gionni

Smash Apprentice
You will slide a lot if you do it really quickly after you started to run, but you cant use your B during the first dash animation, sheik has to be considered as "running". The timing is a bit tricky.
Ok, so if i continue to run and then do the reversed needles i'll slide more, ok thank you for the advise

Last edited:

moy00

Smash Rookie
That's not what i meant ^^ If you tap the stick on a side, your character will firstly dash. You cant cancel that dash with neutral B, you should wait for the run animation after that dash. If you do it during the first frames of that run animation, you will slide a lot.

My english is poor, i hope you will understand me !

Gionni

Smash Apprentice
That's not what i meant ^^ If you tap the stick on a side, your character will firstly dash. You cant cancel that dash with neutral B, you should wait for the run animation after that dash. If you do it during the first frames of that run animation, you will slide a lot.

My english is poor, i hope you will understand me !
no you speak a bettee english than mine, but i understood what you meant and it works

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
I was going to make a video for this, but I forgot my freagin camera when I went on leave and I don't own a capture card... yet.

I know that some people know this, but I assume that most do not. If you do know of it it's probably because of Robin.
When you throw a grenade you can cancel part of the animation by making it come in contact with a hit box. This will cause the grenade to bounce further away from Sheik and almost instantly explode. It also absorbs projectiles that are not translucent. This means if you throw the nade into Samus's Charge Shot or Lucario's Aura Sphere the nade will absorb their attack before canceling.

Now there are a few problems with this tech.
#1 The nade is small as hell and it is really really hard to hit ANYTHING.
#2 The nade has to come in contact with a hit box BEFORE Sheik activates it.
#3 If Sheik is hit by ANYTHING the nade will just fly away and not explode.

*clears throat*
Now with that said I have tested with Tristan_Win and Wasserwipf and found a few instances where this is useful.

:4lucario:
If you throw out the nade and let it lay on the ground Lucario's aura sphere will still hit it when he has a bit of damage on him. This means you can trick him into throwing his aura sphere into the nade and killing himself.
Pretty much a one trick pony.

:4bowser:
This is one of the few match ups that I believe this tech to be truly useful against. If Bowser uses fire breath simply toss a nade into it. If will always hit a hit box w/o fail and will always fly into Bowser's face and blow up.

:4charizard:
See Bowser. ^^^^^^^

:4robinm::4robinf:
You can throw a nade into the Arc Fire and cancel it. Spacing is tricky here so beware.

:4megaman:
If you see Mega Man charging up a FSmash throw a nade at him. It is guaranteed to get hit by his FSmash if you time it correctly.

Aaaaaaaand that is it. There are some other characters that at first glance appear to be affected by this but simply aren't. Like :4samus: for instance. Her charge shot passes over it if it lands on the ground. Which means if you don't hard predict her you eat a charge shot. No... thank.... you.....
Others are :4pikachu::4pit::4bowserjr::4falco::4duckhunt::4diddy::4drmario::4mario::4greninja::4zss::4peach::4ness::4link::rosalina:. Their projectiles are all either to small, to fast or simply translucent.

Last edited:

Jackson

Smash Lord
I was going to make a video for this, but I forgot my freagin camera when I went on leave and I don't own a capture card... yet.

I know that some people know this, but I assume that most do not. If you do know of it it's probably because of Robin.
When you throw a grenade you can cancel part of the animation by making it come in contact with a hit box. This will cause the grenade to bounce further away from Sheik and almost instantly explode. It also absorbs projectiles that are not translucent. This means if you throw the nade into Samus's Charge Shot or Lucario's Aura Sphere the nade will absorb their attack before canceling.

Now there are a few problems with this tech.
#1 The nade is small as hell and it is really really hard to hit ANYTHING.
#2 The nade has to come in contact with a hit box BEFORE Sheik activates it.
#3 If Sheik is hit by ANYTHING the nade will just fly away and not explode.

*clears throat*
Now with that said I have tested with Tristan_Win and Wasserwipf and found a few instances where this is useful.

:4lucario:
If you throw out the nade and let it lay on the ground Lucario's aura sphere will still hit it when he has a bit of damage on him. This means you can trick him into throwing his aura sphere into the nade and killing himself.
Pretty much a one trick pony.

:4bowser:
This is one of the few match ups that I believe this tech to be truly useful against. If Bowser uses fire breath simply toss a nade into it. If will always hit a hit box w/o fail and will always fly into Bowser's face and blow up.

:4charizard:
See Bowser. ^^^^^^^

:4robinm::4robinf:
You can throw a nade into the Arc Fire and cancel it. Spacing is tricky here so beware.

:4megaman:
If you see Mega Man charging up a FSmash throw a nade at him. It is guaranteed to get hit by his FSmash if you time it correctly.

Aaaaaaaand that is it. There are some other characters that at first glance appear to be affected by this but simply aren't. Like :4samus: for instance. Her charge shot passes over it if it lands on the ground. Which means if you don't hard predict her you eat a charge shot. No... thank.... you.....
Others are :4pikachu::4pit::4bowserjr::4falco::4duckhunt::4diddy::4drmario::4mario::4greninja::4zss::4peach::4ness::4link::rosalina:. Their projectiles are all either to small, to fast or simply translucent.

Cool. Any name you'd like to call this tech?

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
That actually happened to me quite a few times. I would throw a grenade and Greninja's Shuriken or Robin's Arc Fire would cut the "string", the bomb would travel furhter, and explode more quickly. Never tried looking into it though. Good work!

?.?

Smash Journeyman
Lol known about this practically since week 1 and I've been mentioning it since, glad it's getting some attention as it's like the only other use of the nade besides ledgenades and grab breaking.

saviorslegacy

I like the title of Sponge Nade, but that isnt for me to decide.
Sure, why not?
Lol known about this practically since week 1 and I've been mentioning it since, glad it's getting some attention as it's like the only other use of the nade besides ledgenades and grab breaking.
Yeah, I knew people knew about it but we never really looked into it. I have also managed to make people hit it with their smash attacks, but that was just random luck.
Unfortunately, this tech is not ground breaking and is either a punish tool 3 characters, an interesting tech for 1 and a one trick pony for 1. The numbers is not with us. lol
Kinda sad though. If the hurt box for the nade was larger this would be so much more useful.

The gravity nade is ****ing amazing compared to this. This is pretty much a janky situational version of the gravity nade.

saviorslegacy

Um Jackson, you do not have Vanish Catching listed either...
That was a thing in Brawl and here at low percents.

Last edited:

?.?

Smash Journeyman
Pretty sure he's referring to Hitting an enemy with the initial hit of Vanish and properly angleing your teleport to "Catch" them with the re-appear windbox (stops all the knockback/momentum from the initial hit)... Of course now it simply adds on more damage instead of serving as an odd combo tool. Here's a link to an old brawl combo video which features it at about 15s in... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj2_2OsOhP0 - Interestingly enough our very own esteemed Savior, tristan, and ed might remember this. :D

saviorslegacy

Pretty sure he's referring to Hitting an enemy with the initial hit of Vanish and properly angleing your teleport to "Catch" them with the re-appear windbox (stops all the knockback/momentum from the initial hit)... Of course now it simply adds on more damage instead of serving as an odd combo tool. Here's a link to an old brawl combo video which features it at about 15s in... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj2_2OsOhP0 - Interestingly enough our very own esteemed Savior, tristan, and ed might remember this. :D
Yeah I remember Equalox, good guy; has a cat named Eevee.

that is exactly what I am talking about.
We can actually catch people with the wind only (before the second vanish hit box) and set up a tech chase at low percents.
Angle Vanish at the cancel height.

Here's a gif provided by wasserwipf.

Last edited:

jinofcoolnes

Smash Journeyman
On D-throw, if your opponent DI's up/upaway expecting u-air, you can just follow them upwards with Vanish. Good early kill (80-100).Generally vanish is really wavy for any up/upaway tech. I am thinking of integrating it somehow with F-air strings at decent percent's.

Not sure if people know this already. Also, How does the needle fidget tech affects sheiks momentum? I was thinking of using it to better aim Vanish.

Last edited:

saviorslegacy

On D-throw, if your opponent DI's up/upaway expecting u-air, you can just follow them upwards with Vanish. Good early kill (80-100).Generally vanish is really wavy for any up/upaway tech. I am thinking of integrating it somehow with F-air strings at decent percent's.

Not sure if people know this already. Also, How does the needle fidget tech affects sheiks momentum? I was thinking of using it to better aim Vanish.
There is one slight problem with Needle Fidget. It needs momentum.

I personally cannot find a use for it outside of gliding.

jinofcoolnes

Smash Journeyman
There is one slight problem with Needle Fidget. It needs momentum.

I personally cannot find a use for it outside of gliding.
That's a shame, it looks really cool. Maybe Jump needles/needles fidget out of shield will be the new tech.

Last edited:

saviorslegacy

That's a shame, it looks really cool. Maybe Jump needles/needles fidget out of shield will be the new tech.
Our good OoS options are as followed:
OoS Nair
OoS grounded Vanish
OoD USmash
OoS Bouncing Fish

OoS Needle Fidget will not accomplish anything except for looking fancy.

Judo777

Smash Master
ewwww dsmash frame 11...... oh how it has fallen........dsmash and jab were the moves we had on MK as far as better frame data....... in brawl if you ever wanted to be funny you could clank dsmash with snakes ftilt (both were frame 4) then if he was in range jab him.

saviorslegacy

ewwww dsmash frame 11...... oh how it has fallen........dsmash and jab were the moves we had on MK as far as better frame data....... in brawl if you ever wanted to be funny you could clank dsmash with snakes ftilt (both were frame 4) then if he was in range jab him.
Yeah I know it. I use to love u-tilt and DSmash, but they just suck now.

Absol

Sucker Punch
NNID
xenxio
At least we got a better back air.

Also, hello Judo.

Judo777

Smash Master
At least we got a better back air.

Also, hello Judo.
Not sure our bair is better, it feels sameish. Maybe im wrong but i thought it was always frame 4. and in brawl it killed at 130.

@Saviours I like our utilt still? is it worse?

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Could this tech be useful for recovery?

It would only work on block-shaped stages though, and it could potentially be useful for recovery if you're so deep and can't get to the walls to cling in time. dunno how useful it would be tbh but it looks pretty nice.

if people already knew about this then sorry lol, I just did it by complete accident earlier and thought it was cool.

Last edited:

saviorslegacy

Could this tech be useful for recovery?

It would only work on block-shaped stages though, and it could potentially be useful for recovery if you're so deep and can't get to the walls to cling in time. dunno how useful it would be tbh but it looks pretty nice.

if people already knew about this then sorry lol, I just did it by complete accident earlier and thought it was cool.
Actually this is very useful, but not in the way you are thinking.
What this allows you to do is quickly sweet spot the ledge. The timing is different then Vanish so it might throw your opponent off.

Wasserwipf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wasserwipf
3DS FC
2809-9876-8323
For what it's worth... Needle gliding, I would remove the part that you have to have fully charges needles, especially since so write a technique right after it that needs you not to have fully charges needles (the platform (pivot) needle glide thing). In addition, you totally should add needle fidget if you have some time. Not only do you have to needles glide without being fully charged, but also is it a super new AT and thus should be featured here.

In addition, 2 things. First off, you can actually Ledge switch without using Bouncing Fish. At least on battlefield.
Gif.
Also, the other thing, maybe not new, but still pretty amazing... Well it basicly demonstrates Bouncing Fish's absurd hitbox.
Call it underbounce o nether bounce if you consider it new, else just enjoy your giant hitbox. Click for Gif.
I just think its amazing as it actually sends Sheik back on stage, even tho she was below before.
And one last thing, for the sake of demonstration, BF's giant hitbox: We are super disjoint.

Jackson

Smash Lord
Thanks @ Wasserwipf Wasserwipf and @ Absol Absol , I added all the stuff you guys suggested.

I also did some random thread maintenance: edited some things, worded some stuff differently, and added the empty hop to grab mindgame known as Tomahawking.

Also, I added Vanish Catching, thanks to @ saviorslegacy saviorslegacy for making me aware of it and @ Wasserwipf Wasserwipf for the gif.

Last edited:

Absol

Sucker Punch
NNID
xenxio
For what its worth we should post some more item tech if there is anything because you CAN pick up sheiks grenade if you get punched in the mouth while doing it. It probably is literally the smallest item in the game. It also works strangely well against duck hunt because that little ball knocks awake most of his zoning tools and you can just pick it back up on the bounce.

saviorslegacy

For what its worth we should post some more item tech if there is anything because you CAN pick up sheiks grenade if you get punched in the mouth while doing it. It probably is literally the smallest item in the game. It also works strangely well against duck hunt because that little ball knocks awake most of his zoning tools and you can just pick it back up on the bounce.
I haven't tested it but my favorite semi safe way of using items in Brawl was to jump over the, throw the item down and Nair landing behind them. This can be a very effective cross up on their shield and at low percents it combos at low percents into f-tilt> jab> grab and DA at mid percents.

Top Bottom