• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sheik Compendium of Advanced Techniques, Combos, and Tricks (Wii U)

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
I think saviourslegacy talked about this a bit but he only mentioned running up, starting and cancelling needles without going to shield and grabbing instead of dash grabbing. Either way, that looks amazing. Can't wait to try and test it out!

_Tree

The no-more hero
NNID
DekuBaba
3DS FC
1891-1276-1936
Yo, nice first post Tronfox64. All your info looks pretty interesting, and I'll certainly lab it soon. I love all the tech skill that people are finding for Sheik. Seriously makes me drool.

But speaking of tech skill...

Looks like we have a Grounded Needle Fidget now?
I actually discovered this myself just a couple of days ago. I can't believe I didn't try doing it on the ground. This makes mid-air needle charging much more viable, as we won't be stuck in the charging animation upon landing.

It also means we get stuff like this: http://gfycat.com/GentleCircularAnnelid

This is done by backflipping -> B-reverse needle charge -> fidgeting back into neutral as soon as you hit the ground. This is a fantastic fake-out option, and we almost act immediately out of it as soon as we land.

Last edited by a moderator:

suarsuar

Smash Apprentice
NNID
suarsuar
Yo, nice first post Tronfox64. All your info looks pretty interesting, and I'll certainly lab it soon. I love all the tech skill that people are finding for Sheik. Seriously makes me drool.

But speaking of tech skill...

I actually discovered this myself just a couple of days ago. I can't believe I didn't try doing it on the ground. This makes mid-air needle charging much more viable, as we won't be stuck in the charging animation upon landing.

It also means we get stuff like this: http://gfycat.com/GentleCircularAnnelid

This is done by backflipping -> B-reverse needle charge -> fidgeting back into neutral as soon as you hit the ground. This is a fantastic fake-out option, and we almost act immediately out of it as soon as we land.

EDIT: WOW Thanks computer for the bazillion posts. Can a mod please delete the posts below? Totally not intended, my apologies.
This is fun, I was doing it previous to officially learning about it and it works well!

Also nice videos online, I had just ran into the video about prominent Sheik researchers and players from Smashboards and you did a great job rounding them up.

Shout out to all y'all advancing the meta over the Internets.

Also that intro song.

_Tree

The no-more hero
NNID
DekuBaba
3DS FC
1891-1276-1936
I haven't said it before, but @ suarsuar suarsuar your Tumblr blog has actually been pretty helpful for finding Sheik art for my thumbnails. So keep it going, I need it :<

suarsuar

Smash Apprentice
NNID
suarsuar
I haven't said it before, but @ suarsuar suarsuar your Tumblr blog has actually been pretty helpful for finding Sheik art for my thumbnails. So keep it going, I need it :<
Oh gawrsh.

@ _Tree _Tree thanks for keeping up, always at service for the homies.

I might send you a video soon since I'll be competing in South Florida this Saturday for the Evo sponsorship tourney. >.>

Last edited:

tronfox64

Smash Cadet
Hey, thanks guys. I'm right there with you in the lab.

@Jaxas Yeah smashes are a go! Though, I personally have my C-Stick set to tilts, so until I get more consistent, I doubt I'll be throwing any smashes into the mix due to the extra inputs. Give me a month and we'll see!

Also, and I added this to the main post, but you can control the direction and facing of any move at any time out of run. Meaning you essentially have every option available during run. (I think you can do a Reverse DTilt with much more backwards momentum than the gif I originally uploaded as well. Ill test that out tonight.)

Edit: Yup. You can reverse the momentum of Dtilt as well.
Running Reverse DTilt (with reverse momentum): http://gfycat.com/BleakSameIchthyostega
Running Reverse DTilt (iwith standard momentum): gfycat.com/ContentEsteemedFrillneckedlizard

Whats really cool is how Needle Cancelling covers the options that Perfect Pivoting cannot, and vice versa. In neutral standing animation or fox trotting/dash dancing? Perfect Pivots covers pretty much any option with sliding momentum (I think people in general hugely underestimate the usefulness of PPs and Forward Attacking Perfect Pivots [FAPPs... coincidence, I swear]). Already committed to a full run? Instant Needle Cancel (Or grounded needle fidgit cancel? Call it whatever you want haha.) into whatever you want in whichever direction you want with momentum. They go together like Peanut Butter and Jelly.

Also I would definitely check out FAPPs. I use these a ton online for forward moving Jabs and DTilts and it's another option out of Foxtrot. The inputs are pretty tricky, so don't get discouraged if your fudging them up or doing it slowly, but its really just adding another flick of the stick on top of a perfect pivot, returning you to your original facing direction. I don't think these are quite as fast as Instant Needle Cancelled Jabs/DTilts/etc, but being able to do them when you cant needle cancel is still useful.

I uploaded a video of Fox doing FAPP Jabs (Down Tilt works great as well)
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6T_edV5d9I

FAPPs work well with Sheik as well, but I was trying to recreate a FAPP into Jab-lock that I did against a buddy as fox when I was recording.

Edit: I'm pretty sure there is a better grab option from a dash using Needles as @ ArikadoSD ArikadoSD and @saviorslegacy mentioned, but the inputs seem to be slightly different. Maybe Shield before attack ever so slightly, while still holding shield? Needs more testing. Also, every once in a while I accidentally do an extreme wave needle backwards while still facing the same direction I was running. It puts you into neutral extremely quickly too. No idea how to replicate this yet but it has something to do with left/right c-stick in combination of left/right stick.

I love the work done on this this thread as well @ Absol Absol . This was a huge resource for me early on in learning how to Sheik.

Last edited:

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
@ tronfox64 tronfox64 do you mind making a new thread for your discovery? Just because it seems just like a huge one. You can literally just copy/paste your 1st post into a new thread.

Also what exactly are the inputs, and do they require you to use c stick for tilts? I'd like to do it without changing my c stick, and even when I change it I'm still struggling getting this right lol.

What i do is dash > charge needles > cancel by shield > try to do dtilt, but at that point I either continue charging needles (mess up the cancelling), go into shield, or simply cancel the needles and being unable to follow up with anything.

Last edited:

tronfox64

Smash Cadet
@ ArikadoSD ArikadoSD The inputs are really tricky for whatever reason. My new theory is that when you press L (or R) during Needles, instead of L programmed to cast a shield right away, there seems to be a programmed 1-2 frame window of programmed "go back to neutral state so that you can then shield" and THEN shield will come out should you still be holding (Probably seen by developers as an easy way to let sheik cancel her needles without changing the code for shields in general). I think this is why you can also wave needle without shield ever coming out- you simply let go of shield during this weird window where L acts like a "go to neutral" action rather than "shield". Because this small window of weirdness exists, I'm guessing you can buffer in a move and, if done correctly, the move will go off at the same time as "go to neutral", since it's unlikely they would have added any lag whatsoever to this property of "go to neutral". The end result is you never need to wait for shield or neutral out of needles.

Also, you can use C-Stick or A button, I just prefer C-Stick for tilts because of the ability to throw FTilts in any direction quickly and because I just generally use many more tilts than Smashes with Sheik.

Also also, I realize my description of the inputs is mediocre at best. When I started learning it, I consciously thought of it in 2 steps. 1. Cancel Run into Needles (with whichever direction you want, essentially the start of a wave needle if your going to B-reverse) and then 2. as quickly as my fingers can (you should still be within the first few frames of bringing out needles), buffer the input of the attack I want to use, and like a frame later add in a brief L to add in this "go to neutral" weirdness phase.

And yeah, I can make a new thread with all this included.

TLDR; Run > Needles > Input an attack > immediately hit shield and release

Last edited:

Illuminose

Smash Ace
Some things this is missing as a complete compendium (not new discoveries, just things missing):

Wave bouncing (jump -> turnaround b reverse needle, which is performing a turnaround b needle and then reversing it. combine it with lag canceling the needles as a feint and decent way to add extra needles to your hand)

Initiating the second kick of bouncing fish's arc earlier (double tap B when starting bouncing fish, makes the move overall faster and reduces landing lag; autocancel from ~full hop height for instance)

Vanish Stalling (ledge drop -> jump slightly up onto stage @~battlefield side platform's height -> vanish down and diagonally toward the ledge, refreshes ledge invincibility)

Crouch Sliding (jump right -> crawl backwards to the left)

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Old knowledge, but not listed on here and utilized in a way I haven't seen anyone do:

If you snap to the ledge from above, you have no vulnerable frames. You can do this from below the ledge if you hold down to prevent your ledgesnap until you pass it.

I'd call it Airtight Recovery or something along those lines.

Cubble555

Smash Rookie
I'm a new Sheik player, but I found that if someone has lost their edge invincibility or is about to, you can dash off the stage and as you are falling do a back air. This will spike them on stages such as Smashville, FD, or Battle field (If they react slow and if their percent is high enough.)

jam1garner

Smash Apprentice
UPDATE: 6/24/2015:
Added perfect wavebounce and sliding needle cancels

Before proceeding it should be known that this thread was started and constantly updated by a very charitable smasher known as Jackson.

While we will miss his contributions to Sheik in Smash 4 I will do the best of my ability to keep this thread as clean and resourceful as possible. Thanks for all you did for us Jackson, you will be missed.

(This thread is based on the format of this thread http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...cks-the-data-dump-song-of-brainstorms.228712/ in the Brawl Toon Link Boards detailing his ATs and tricks. It was written by @Fox Is Openly Deceptive.)

Hey, guys! This thread combines all the collective knowledge about Sheik into one compendium, courtesy of myself and the rest of the Sheik boards. Post all of your new discoveries here and I will add them in as needed. Also, please give feedback as I would like to improve this thread as much as I can. Please note that many techniques and tricks are hyperlinked (the links are orange) to threads or videos discussing/displaying them, so if you would like to learn more about the topic, I highly suggest following the links. For each technique, Sheik heads indicate the relative usefulness of the tech on a scale of 1 to 5. If I miss anything, go ahead and comment about it or message me. Enjoy, and use these techniques, mindgames, combos, and tricks to play Sheik to her fullest and develop your own style!

Sheik's Advanced Techniques, Combos, and Other Tricks

INDEX :4sheik:
General Techniques
Pivot Techniques
B - Reversing
Run to Shield
Foxtrotting
Dash Dancing

Jab Cancel
Teching
Hyphen Smash
DI (Directional Influence)
Instant Dash Attack
Reverse Boost (3DS Technique)
Platform Shield dropping

Grab Techniques
Tech Chase
Boost Grab
Shield Grab
Pivot Grab
Roll Cancel Grab

Quick Crouch Grab
Tomahawking

Grenade Techniques
Run-off Nade Cancel
Ledge Nade

Pit Nade
Sponge Nade
Thief Nade

Needle Techniques
Needle Cancel
Rising Storm
Needle Gliding

Wave Needle (Sliding B-Reverse Needle Cancel)
Lag Cancel Needles
Platform Pivot Needle Glide

Needle Fidget (Other Fidget techs can be found in the hyperlinked thread)
Stormclouding
Perfect wavebounce
Sliding Needle cancels

Bouncing Fish Techniques
Distance Control
Run-Off Ledge Flip
Ledge Flip

Fish Blimp

Vanish Techniques
Vanish Gliding
Wall Slide Vanish

Landed Vanish Recovery
Vanish Catching
Autocancel Vanish

Aerial Techniques
RAR (Reverse Aerial Rush)
Short Hop
Fast Fall

Tomahawk Feint

Tricks and Tidbits
Sheik Ledge Switch
The Rage Mechanic
Instant Ledge Grab
Moves That Go Through Platforms

Standing Down Tilt
Underbounce
Bouncing Fish Lag Reduction
Banana Dair

Combo List and BnB

General Techniques

Perfect Pivot
How to Perform: In the first few frames of a dash, inputting the opposite direction for only one frame (can be done by flicking the stick) will perform a regular, lagless standing turnaround animation that can be instantly cancelled with any move. You keep some momentum from the direction of the initial dash.
Effect: As said, you perform a lagless turnaround.
Notes: This tech has a lot of potential that has yet to be fully exploited.
Stages: All
Credit: Yoki (quoted from him)
Usefulness: :4sheik::4sheik::4sheik::4sheik::4sheik:

Pivot Forward Tilt (Turnaround Tilt)
How to Perform: When dashing :GCR:, instantly press :GCL: + :GCA: (or the other way around)
Effect: Sheik performs an Ftilt the other way without stop lag.
Notes: A nice technique, considering how useful Sheik's Ftilt is in combos. This can be used in many situations, as it is hard to punish.

Pivot Forward Smash (Pivot FSmash)
How to Perform: When dashing :GCR:, quickly press and hold :GCL:+:GCA: or :GCCL: (or the other way around).
Effect: Sheik performs and Fsmash the other way without stop lag.
Notes: I personally do not find it useful because of the move that it uses, but it may catch an opponent off guard.
Usefulness: :4sheik::4sheik:

B-Reversing
How to Perform: Do a special, then immediately press the opposite direction.
Effect: Sheik turns around to perform the special and you alter your aerial momentum.
Notes: Useful in baits and fake outs, especially with needles.
Usefulness: :4sheik::4sheik::4sheik::4sheik:

Run to Shield
How to Perform: Dash, then hold :GCLT: or :GCRT:.
Effect: Your dash stops and you seamlessly put up your shield.
Notes: Sheik's dash to shield is GREAT. Use this often as a very safe approach.

Foxtrotting

How to Perform: Keep interrupting your initial dash animation with a new initial dash animation.
Effect: You keep repeating your dash. This is faster for some characters (not Sheik).
Notes: Combined with a Perfect Pivot, you can do anything out of a foxtrot. (quoted from Yoki)

Dash Dancing
How to Perform: Input a dash in the opposite direction in the first few frames of a dash. In SSB4, any dash inputted this way has no initial momentum, allowing you to make your dash however short you want by timing your release of the stick. If you let go of the stick after only a couple frames, you do a stationary dash. If you let go of the stick after only one frame, you do a Perfect Pivot.
Effect: With good timing you can move back and forth.
Notes: This is a decent mindgame.
Usefulness: :4sheik::4sheik::4sheik:

Jab Cancel
How to Perform: Stop for a slight moment after Sheik's Jab 1 or Jab 2.
Effect: You are free to follow up with another move. I recommend Ftilt or Dtilt.
Notes: This isn't really guaranteed but it is effective.

Teching
How to Perform: Press :GCLT: or :GCRT: before suffering a knockdown or bouncing off a wall. To roll, hold :GCR: or :GCL:.
Effect: Instead of getting knocked down, you get up quickly or roll to the side. Against a wall, you don't bounce.
Notes: Train yourself to do this every time you hit a wall or get knocked down. It can save your life.

Hyphen Smash
How to Perform: While dashing, input an Up Smash.
Effect: Shiek will do an Up Smash while sliding with forward momentum a short distance.
Notes: You can approach with this if you notice an opportunity. I personally find it useful when your opponent is on a platform above you, since this move reaches through platforms.

How to Perform: Hold directions on the control pad/stick while being hit.
Effect: You alter your knockback.
Notes: Used to survive strong attacks or escape combos. A universal technique that is highly important. Hold perpendicular to how you were hit for greatest effect.

Instant Dash Attack
How to Perform: Start a dash, immediately quarter circle down and press :GCA:.
Effect: You do a very quick dash attack.
Notes: This is a decent tech since Sheik has a solid dash attack. Doing this is better than starting a dash and pressing :GCA: normally because that has a risk of performing an Forward Smash whereas this technique does not.
Credit: Scala

Reverse Boost (3DS Only)

How to Perform: On a stage with any slope, jump forward towards the slant at the right end of the stage.
The immediate moment you land, crouch, crawl backwards, input an attack. (Dtilt, Ftilt, Utilt, Dsmash, Usmash)

Effect: Sheik does a crazy backwards slide while performing the attack.
Notes: This is pretty amazing. Sheik goes REALLY far with this tech. Learning this will improve your mobility and options on slopes
Stages: All stages with slopes such as castle siege, delphino, lylat and yoshi island on 3ds

Platform Shield Drop

How to Perform: Slowly lower your shield while on a platform. the timing is a bit fickle but the best way to describe it is "streaming your shield into a platform drop"
Effect: You can now to platform drop OoS and opens more windows for punishing
Notes: Combine with power shielding you can get a solid advantage over (or should I say under) your opponent.

Banana Dair (Tsundair)
How to Perform: Just Dair onto Diddy's banana. You will destroy the banana, wont trip, and cancel a ton of frames on the landing.
Effect: The dair hitbox can protect you during reduce landing lag, and can cripple part of Diddy's kit. You can even combo with Dair now
Notes: Of all things, Dair actually helps us in this one match up. As such the nickname for it is Tsundair, for never being there for us until it matters most
Credit: Absol 359

Grab Techniques

Tech Chase

How to Perform: Predict or react to your opponent's get up options/tech rolls and punish them. Often involves grabs, so it's in this section.
Effect: Tack on percent, start/extend combos, or kill your opponent.
Notes: Try to notice your foe's patterns, such as them rolling away from you often. This will improve your tech reads. A nice way to set up a tech chase at low percents is Vanish Catching. Check out the Vanish Techniques section for more information.

Boost Grab
How to Perform: Input a dash attack then IMMEDIATELY grab. A good way to do this while dashing is :GCCD: + :GCZ:.
Effect: Produces a much longer grab than Sheik's normal dash grab.
Notes: Very useful if you see an opening. Use often, but carefully. Shiek has amazing throws so the risk of this is worth the reward.

Shield Grab
How to Perform: While holding shield, press :GCA:.
Effect: You safely grab without having to drop shield.
Notes: A very simple yet very effective defensive tech. This punish will serve you well, especially after a run to shield.

Pivot Grab
How to Perform: While running one way, press the other direction and grab.
Effect: Grabs the opposite direction with extended range.
Notes: Good counter to approaches, or general mindgame.

Roll Cancel Grab
How to Perform: Hold :GCR: or :GCL:, press :GCLT: or :GCRT:, and then:GCA:(shield grab).
Effect: Cancels the roll into a long grab.
Notes: The distance is comparable to a boost grab. Very effective. I personally think boost grab is easier to do on a GC controller, but do whatever works for you.
Credit: Discovered by Leon Trotsky, thread posted by BONK.

Quick Crouch Grab
How to Perform: While crouching , press :GCRT: then IMMEDIATELY :GCA:.
Effect: Sheik quickly performs a standing grab from a crouch.
Notes: Doing this technique is much faster than standing up to grab. This works because you can shield from crouch but you cannot grab from it, so shield grabbing makes sense.
Credit: Jackson

Tomahawking/Feint

How to Perform: Do an empty jump (short hop and land without doing anything), and grab your opponent. Alternatively you can spot dodge after you land as a feint to mix up your opponent
Effect: You tricked your opponent and got a grab.
Notes: This is a great mindgame because many foes are conditioned to shield when you jump at them since they expect an aerial. This is very useful, but your opponent will catch on if you do it excessively.

Grenade Techniques

Run-Off Nade Cancel

How to Perform: Run off the ledge and Side B either direction. Grab ledge.
Effect: When you grab the ledge, Sheik's lag from Burst Grenade is completely cancelled!
Notes: A very fun and effective edgeguard or anti-approach. Get used to the timing to grab ledge so that you don't self-destruct.
Stages: All with ledges

Ledge Nade

How to Perform: It's the equivalent of run-off nade cancel, but from the ledge. While hanging on the ledge, drop down, jump up and slightly to the side, and then side B either on to the stage or over the blast zone.
Effect: Nade lag is cancelled. The timing here is stricter than run-off nade cancel, so practice and make sure you don't SD.
Notes: This is amazing at helping you get back to the stage, or as an effective edgeguard. Don't be afraid to camp the ledge with this if your opponent is edge-guarding aggressively. Another great video by @ _Tree _Tree demonstrating this and the above tech can be found here .

Pit Nade
How to Perform: When onstage and relatively close to the edge of the stage, Side B and hold :GCD: as long as you want.
Effect: The Burst Grenade flies diagonally down into the blast zone and can explode VERY low (distance depends on how long you hold :GCD:).
Notes: This is a powerful edgeguard, but unlike Ledge Nades, Pit Nades suffer full lag. They are very good at intercepting low recoveries.

Sponge Nade
How to Perform: Throw a grenade that comes in contact with a hitbox.
Effect: This will cause the grenade to bounce further away from Sheik and almost instantly explode. It also absorbs projectiles that are not translucent. This means if you throw the nade into Samus's Charge Shot or Lucario's Aura Sphere the nade will absorb their attack before cancelling.
Notes: From @saviorslegacy :
Now there are a few problems with this tech.
#1 The nade is small as hell and it is really really hard to hit ANYTHING.
#2 The nade has to come in contact with a hit box BEFORE Sheik activates it.
#3 If Sheik is hit by ANYTHING the nade will just fly away and not explode.

*clears throat*
Now with that said I have tested with Tristan_Win and Wasserwipf and found a few instances where this is useful.

:4lucario:
If you throw out the nade and let it lay on the ground Lucario's aura sphere will still hit it when he has a bit of damage on him. This means you can trick him into throwing his aura sphere into the nade and killing himself.
Pretty much a one trick pony.

:4bowser:
This is one of the few match ups that I believe this tech to be truly useful against. If Bowser uses fire breath simply toss a nade into it. If will always hit a hit box w/o fail and will always fly into Bowser's face and blow up.

:4charizard:
See Bowser.

:4robinm::4robinf:
You can throw a nade into the Arcfire and cancel it. Spacing is tricky here so beware.

:4megaman:
If you see Mega Man charging up a FSmash, throw a nade at him. It is guaranteed to get hit by his FSmash if you time it correctly.
Credit: @saviorslegacy for the tech and its applications, and @ Absol Absol for the name.
Usefulness: This is very match-up dependent. On average: :4sheik::4sheik::4sheik:

Thief Nade
How to Perform: While an opponent is hanging on the ledge, do a Run-Off Nade Cancel (or you can short hop off the ledge and throw it outward), and grab the ledge.
Effect: Your opponent will be ledge ejected into the explosion.
Notes: This is a sneaky tech that may catch your opponent by surprise. To see this tech in action click on the hyperlink in the technique's name.
Credit: Although @Othayuni directly approached me with this tech, it was first seen in @ _Tree _Tree 's Burst Grenade video .

Needle Techniques

Needle Cancel
How to Perform: While charging needles, press:GCRT: to either air dodge or shield.
Effect: Sheik stops charging needles and keeps her current amount.
Notes: A very simple tech that is useful often. Charge needles, and when your opponent approaches, shield and you're fine.

Rising Storm
How to Perform: Once your needles are fully charged, full hop and immediately press :GCB:.
Effect: Sheik throws the needles and is able to jump or attack just before hitting the ground.
Notes: Improves your aerial needle lag and can be used as a sort of mindgame.
Credit: Tristan_win

Needle Gliding
How to Perform: Dash towards the edge. When you are about to fall off (while still onstage), press :GCB:.
Effect: Sheik falls off the stage and quickly throws her needles down at a diagonal angle.
Notes: Basically Vanish Gliding but with needles. This technique is great at gimping low recoveries, something that Ledge Nades can't stop. If you attempt this technique without fully charged needles, you will need to airdodge to cancel the charge.
Stages: All with ledges.

How to Perform: Go into a run, do a grounded Needle B-Reverse, then cancel it with shield.
Effect: Sheik slides the opposite direction you ran.
Notes: For more information, see this video here . It's an interesting approach/mindgame.
Credit: MySmashCorner (YouTube) for the tech, @Overmaster and @Wasserwipf for the nicer name.

Lag Cancel Needles

How to Perform: When you're charging needles in the air, airdodge the moment before you land.
Effect: Sheik experiences no lag.
Notes: This tech is useful to make your needle game less punishable. A video by the guy who discovered this is hyperlinked in the name of the tech above and in the index.
Credit: @Wasserwipf

How to Perform: B-reverse your needle glide at the edge of a platform.
Effect: You switch your momentum as you drop under the platform.
Notes: This techniques is pretty cool and useful. It gives you some movement mixups as well as charging your needles. Something to note is that you can also perform this tech and throw needles if you want to. The creator of this tech also told me this: "It's important to note that the edge of the platform for the pivot needle glide to work has a sweet spot. doing it too soon will just pivot needle on the platform, and doing it do late will make you needle glide forward but facing the opposite direction." Finally, if you want to see this technique in action, a video demonstrating this and the one above is hyperlinked in the name of the tech both here and in the index.
Stages: All with platforms.
Credit: @ Absol Absol

How to Perform: Charge needles in the air, cancel them with an airdodge, and then cancel the airdodge into a special.
Effect: Cancelling it into more needle charging looks flashy, like Sheik is "having a seizure". However, the true potential of this tech is when you combine it with other moves like Vanish or Bouncing Fish (this is called Fidget Fish, but it is not listed in the Bouncing Fish section because it is associated with this).
Notes: You can do so much with this tech, but I won't elaborate here. I strongly encourage you to check out this thread for more information.
Stages: All, although further applications of this tech may not work on walk-offs.
Credit: @Wasserwipf for discovery and further research, and @saviorslegacy for helping him.

Stormclouding

How to Perform: Short hop across the ground, charging needles and then lag cancelling them with an airdodge (see 'Lag Cancel Needles' aboce).
Effect: Sheik can smoothly move across the stage while adding needles to her hand.
Notes: This is basically turning Lag Cancel Needles into a movement option. I suggest doing this in neutral as you approach or retreat, as it will efficiently give you more needles! To see this tech in action, check out @Othayuni 's video, hyperlinked in the name of this technique. Check out his video description for more information.
Credit: @Othayuni

Perfect Wavebounce Cancels

How to Perform: While holding forward on the left Joystick, press Backwards C-Stick + Special at the same time, to get frontal wave bounce. Then quickly press and release shield to cancel the needle charge to enter neutral quickly. In the air, you can needle fidgit cancel into specials such as Bouncing Fish and Vanish.
Effect: "Wavebounce backwards while running or jumping and quickly cancel into any move. Keeps your forward facing direction."
Notes:
-You can also decide to not cancel at all and instead use a backwards dashing needle attack.
-Some other characters can also perform this. Ex: Mewtwo, but his shield will always come out.
-This tech has a lot of potential that has yet to be fully exploited.
Credit: TheReflexWonder

Sliding Needle Canceled Attacks

How to Perform: While running, let go of the left Joystick for at least 1 frame, press and hold Special, then very quickly buffer a C-Stick/A (jab) followed by a quick press and release of Shield.
Effect: Sheik carries over her running momentum and cancels quickly (7 frames) into any tilt/smash/jab.
Notes:
-This can be hard to learn but can also be ingrained into muscle memory for perfect reliability, so don't give up!
-Replace Special with a B-Reverse variant for a turn around version
-The buffer of C-Stick/A (jab) and then quick shield can also be used while landing and charging needles. Buffer right before the ground and press and release shield just as you land.
Credit: tronfox64

Bouncing Fish Techniques

Distance Control

How to Perform: After inputting Down B, press :GCL:or :GCR:.
Effect: Sheik's Bouncing Fish either goes a longer or shorter distance depending on which direction you face/pressed.
Notes: Getting a feel for this will improve your follow-ups and overall usage of this ability. Also note that you can make the hitbox come out earlier by pressing A or B.

Run-Off Ledge Flip

How to Perform: Run off the ledge, drop a bit but don't grab the side, and Down B back onto the stage.
Effect: Sheik lands on the stage but does a quick cartwheel get-up from Down B instead of the normal laggy animation.
Notes: Use for baits and fake outs. The success of this tech (getting the non-laggy Down-B) seems to depend on Sheik "brushing" the edge with her Down-B on the way up. If you get too close to the edge you will wall jump.

Ledge Flip

How to Perform: Same idea as the run-off version except performed by first ledge dropping, jumping, and then using Down-B onto the stage.
Effect: You land on the stage with minimal lag.
Notes: A very quick and effective get-up option. Most opponents don't expect this. You can use this tech to great effect by performing it quickly after a ledge nade, which all but guarantees you getting back onstage safely. Another fantastic video by @ _Tree _Tree showing off this tech as well as the edge cancel can be found here . You can also do this on platforms. The spacing varies based on the stages.
Stages: All with ledges/platforms.

Fish Blimp

How to Perform: On Animal Crossing stages, Bouncing Fish into a balloon.
Effect: Sheik will make contact with it, break it, and then rebound to the opposite direction.
Notes: This is what happens when you hit an opponent with BF, except that you hit the balloon, so you can then hit a real foe with the "backswing" of Bouncing Fish. This is a cool mixup at these stages, and luckily for us, these are played on often. Absol's video of this can be found here .
Stages: Smashville, Town and City, Duck Hunt stage (it is particularly effective there)

Vanish Techniques

Vanish Gliding

How to Perform: Dash towards a ledge. When you're about to fall off, Up B.
Effect: The momentum carries Sheik out and the explosion occurs offstage, to the side of the ledge. Sheik can then grab ledge.
Notes: An interesting and unconventional edgeguard as well as a way to quickly reach the ledge.
Credit: @Wasserwipf for confirming it in Smash 4 (although this tech has been present in Melee and Brawl)

Wall Slide Vanish

How to Perform: When under a stage with sloped undersides (FD, BF), use Up B.
Effect: Sheik's initial jump will propel her very far diagonally up the slope.
Notes: This can save a bit of time/recovery distance.
Stages: Stages with sloped undersides.

Landed Vanish Recovery

How to Perform: While on the ledge, drop off, move yourself right next to the stage wall, and up B diagonally up and in.
Effect: Sheik goes up onto the stage, does her grounded Up B animation right next to the ledge, and reappears away about 1/3 the distance of FD (if you held left/right in)
Notes: A nice recovery mixup. The explosion will punish your opponent from playing too close to the edge.
Stages: Stages with sloped undersides or wall sides.
Credit: formula91

Vanish Catching
How to Perform: At low percents, hit an opponent with Vanish, and then reappear diagonally away.
Effect: The windbox will throw the foe towards the ground.
Notes: This sets up a tech chase, which is cool. For you to follow up, the Vanish needs to be autocancelled.

Autocancel Vanish
How to Perform: While grounded use vanish up diagonally to the left or right, and you will land with no lag.
Effect: You can mind game your opponent into thinking you're open as most Up B's have landing lag. This is an amazing bait, but dont over use it.
Notes: The reason for this is that Sheik has a sweet spot falling distance to where she wont have to suffer from lag. You dont even have to be grounded for this to work, all you have to do is make you sure fall the perfect distance.

Aerial Techniques

How to Perform: When dashing in one direction, press the other direction before jumping.
Effect: You travel with forward momentum while facing backwards.
Notes: This lets you approach with Bair, which I consider to be very good as the hitbox on Sheik's leg is rather large.

Short Hop

How to Perform: Press a jump button quickly. I do not recommend tap jump for this.
Effect: You jump much lower to the ground than normal.
Notes: It DOES NOT, I repeat, DOES NOT matter how lightly you press the jump button. Only speed. Anyway, this lets you bring your aerial game to the ground, which is fantastic for Sheik. You need to be using this very often.

Fast Fall
How to Perform: Press :GCD: at the apex of your jump. If you perform an aerial you will need to input :GCD:again to get the desired effect.
Effect: You fall faster (who would've thought?).
Notes: This is very nice to use, as it speeds up your combo game and lets you return to the ground quicker. Use this to great effect by fast falling aerials and then using tilts.

Tomahawk Feint
How to Perform: After hitting an opponent's shield with an aerial, particularly Fair, fast fall and spotdodge immediately.
Effect: You will likely spotdodge through your foe's out of shield punish; most notably shield grabs.
Notes: This is a great tech and when applied correctly will keep you safe from a lot of out of shield punishes as well as letting YOU punish their attempted punish. A lot of punishing, huh? Something to note is that you can roll instead of spotdodge to mix it up. I also advise you to start jabbing or something after an aerial once your opponent catches on to your spotdodging to keep your foe guessing. A helpful video showing off this tech can be seen by following the hyperlink in this technique's name. Check the video description for more information from @Othayuni .

Tricks and Tidbits

Sheik Ledge Switch

Description: Sheik, when hanging on a ledge, can go all the way under most stages to the other side. The process is ledge drop, Bouncing Fish (make it as long as you can), double jump, Up B to the other ledge. It's a nice mixup or stall technique if needed. Seems to work on Battlefield, FD, and all Omega stages. Another way that doesn't utilize Bouncing Fish, also discovered by @Wasserwipf , can be seen [/url=http://abload.de/img/ledgewobflvj81.gif]here [/url].
Credit: Wasserwipf

The Rage Mechanic

Description: As Sheik takes damage, her attacks will deal more knockback. This effect seems to cap out around 150%. This effect is applied to all fighters.
Credit: Clash Tournaments

Instant Ledge Grab

Description: Run off the ledge and immediately tilt back towards the stage. You instantly grab the ledge. Although edgehogging has been removed which makes this tech less useful, it's still a very nice way of getting a low and fast Bair off to edgeguard.
Credit: Although this was in Brawl, Z'zgashi confirmed it for Smash 4.
Usefulness: :4sheik:

Description: I've compiled a list of Sheik's moves that go through Battlefield platforms while Shiek is below them. Use this knowledge to improve your platform sharking! The list is as follows:

Up Tilt
Short Hop Nair
Short Hop Fair
Short Hop Bair
Short Hop Dair (If inputted early you will land on the platform)
Short Hop Uair
Up Smash (has a nice guaranteed sweetspot when hitting an opponent on top of the platform)
Burst Grenade (pointless, as the explosion does not hit them - the vacuum does, dealing 2%)

Overall, Up Smash is arguably our best platform option because the sweetspot kills so early.

Standing Down Tilt

Description: You can perform a Dtilt while standing by having the control stick ever so slightly down. Close enough to the middle to stand, but low enough to do a Dtilt when you press :GCA:. This trick isn't often useful but it does stop you from telegraphing Dtilts by crouching.
Credit: Some guy on the Brawl Marth Boards... I can't remember his name as of now.

Underbounce

Description: If you BF into a low wall, Sheik will attack again with BF as she rebounds up. It is notable that the hitbox here on the rebound is crazy. To see this in action, look here . Another thing to note is that Sheik will land onstage after doing this, so it's a nice recovery trick.

Description: After hitting someone with Bouncing Fish, while you are rebounding, press :GCA: to initiate a second kick. This kick's animation will end in the air rather than you having to wait to hit the ground if you don't do it. This is very useful.

Combo List

Note: Many of these combos are NOT guaranteed. This list is simply meant to provide ideas for follow-ups. Feel free to experiment with these options and incorporate any of them into your gameplay. Sheik heads indicate how useful the move is for starting/extending a combo (Scale of 1 to 5).

Jab 1/2 :4sheik::4sheik:
cancel into Grab
cancel into Ftilt
cancel into Dtilt

Forward Tilt :4sheik::4sheik::4sheik::4sheik::4sheik:
into Grab (low %)
into another Ftilt (low to mid %)
into Dtilt (low %)
into Utilt (low %)
into Fair (mid %)
into Uair (mid to high %)
into Nair (low to mid %)
into Dair (low to mid %)
into Fsmash (low to mid %)
into Dsmash (low %)
into Usmash (low to mid %)

Up Tilt :4sheik::4sheik:
into Grab (low %) or Dash/Boost Grab (mid %)
into Fair (mid to high %)

Down Tilt :4sheik::4sheik::4sheik::4sheik:
into Grab (low to mid %)
into another Dtilt (low %)
into Ftilt (low to mid %)
into Nair (mid to high %)
into Uair (very high %)

Dash Attack :4sheik:
Very minimal followups. I suggest trying to read their DI and going for a Nair or Fair.

Neutral Air :4sheik::4sheik::4sheik:
into Grab (low to mid %)
into another Nair (low to mid %)
into Dash Attack (low to high %)
into Bouncing Fish (all percents, DI dependent)

Forward Air :4sheik::4sheik::4sheik::4sheik::4sheik:
into another Fair (low to high %)
into Nair (low to mid %)
into Grab (low %)
into Ftilt (low %)
into Dash Attack (low %)
into Dtilt (low %)
into Dsmash (very low %)
into Fsmash (low %)

Up Air :4sheik:
can juggle with itself (mid to high %)

Back Air :4sheik::4sheik:
into Grab (low %)
into Dash Attack (low to mid %)
into Bouncing Fish (mid to high %, DI dependent)

Down Air :4sheik:
Doesn't seem to combo into anything except MAYBE on a missed tech. I wouldn't use this move.

Up Smash :4sheik:
into Dash Attack (low %)

Forward Smash :4sheik:
into Dash Attack (low %)

Down Smash :4sheik:
No followups.

Needles :4sheik:
May combo at close range, but you probably won't get followups from them.

Burst Grenade (you must Ledge Nade to combo with this) :4sheik::4sheik:
into Bouncing Fish
into Fair
into Nair
into Bair

Bouncing Fish :4sheik:
Does not appear to have followups.

Vanish :4sheik:
Possible combos into the windbox.

Down Throw :4sheik::4sheik::4sheik::4sheik::4sheik:
into Uair Spike (low to mid %)
into Uair (low to high %)
into Nair (low to mid %)
into Bair (low to mid %)
into Utilt (low %)
into Usmash (low %)

Forward Throw :4sheik::4sheik::4sheik::4sheik::4sheik:
into Uair Spike (low %)
into Uair (low to mid %)
into Nair (low to mid%)
into RAR Bair (low to mid %)
into Usmash (low %)
into Bouncing Fish (low to high %) Note: Fthrow into Bouncing Fish is fantastic and something that you should go for very often. For precise information on this throw combo, look to this thread , which is a collaboration between @Tristan_win , @Wasserwipf , and @ Absol Absol . Thanks, guys!

All of Sheik's throw followups are rather DI dependent. Uthrow into Uair sometimes works, but Dthrow and Fthrow are our best throws. I would avoid Bthrow.

That's all for now. Please post your feedback and Sheik findings for me to add, and I will refine this thread over time. Good luck using Sheik!
You might wanna add ledge drop BF. Really simple addition, maybe with how to use/control it. Essentially the main ways of controlling what it does. Before bouncing off the stage holding towards the stage increases length while holding away shortens it, after bouncing however, the reverse is true. For a quick regrab/ledge stall hold towards the stage the whole time. For max length, hold towards the stage until bouncing off. The timing is tricky on full length though. Warning: don't forget to press a or b to throw out the second hit or you might SD.

Uses: Ledge stall, styling, edge guarding tool, can quickly set up into going under stage.

Works on: All stages with a ledge, though some are hard (flat walls/small stage lips) most effective on battle field and FD.

jam1garner

Smash Apprentice
@ C Cubble555 This is actually a pretty common tactic, but your opponent can tech off the stage, meaning you rarely will actually get a stage spike out of it against experienced players.
Also most experienced players avoid sitting on the ledge with out invincibility. Are there any follow ups to teching a stage spike? I feel shiek would have some option, but none come to mind. Perhaps a theives nade would be a better option of the are sitting there so long? Probably too much startup.

Last edited:

WondrousMoose

Mind the antlers
NNID
WondrousMoose
3DS FC
3024-5909-8345
Sadly, you'll need to remove Needle Gliding from the list, though Vanish Gliding is still in. Also, we've renamed Perfect Wavebouncing as C-bouncing.

Last edited:

Absol

Sucker Punch
NNID
xenxio
I'll keep it in the list, but I will state it is removed

And sure I'll rename it to c bouncing when I'm off work

Creede

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Creede73
Is there a reason this isn't stickied? It has more views than any of the stickied threads and is plenty helpful.

Danimal197

Smash Apprentice
is there a frame advantage to this over just doing a grounded b-reversal INC, or is it just which direction you end up facing?

ShinRamen

Smash Cadet
NNID
KoRShin
An extra variation for run-to-shield? I'm really gonna have to get used to using Y as grab to set Z as special, what a pain lol

Creede

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Creede73
An extra variation for run-to-shield? I'm really gonna have to get used to using Y as grab to set Z as special, what a pain lol
I guess that's one way to look at it. It's actually just a slightly different input of a tech called Wave Needle, which is possible to do without shield (still have to input shield though).

tronfox64

Smash Cadet
@ Danimal197 Danimal197 I'm pretty sure a C-Bounce goes a little bit further in terms of slide difference. Also, as you said, you can keep your forward facing direction, and, imo, it's a bit easier to do once you really have C-bounces down consistently.

WondrousMoose

Mind the antlers
NNID
WondrousMoose
3DS FC
3024-5909-8345
is there a frame advantage to this over just doing a grounded b-reversal INC, or is it just which direction you end up facing?
After doing some more 1/4x practice, I've noticed something cool.

When you execute a retreating C-bounce, Sheik actually performs a B-reversal for 1-2 frames but immediately reverses that, maintaining the shift in momentum from the first and the orientation from the second. Unless you're incredibly fast and can reverse your needle momentum in <2 frames, C-bouncing is the better option, as it causes you to slide farther.

I've updated the C-bounce thread with this discovery. Neat stuff.

Last edited:

jam1garner

Smash Apprentice
UPDATE: 6/24/2015:
Added perfect wavebounce and sliding needle cancels

Before proceeding it should be known that this thread was started and constantly updated by a very charitable smasher known as Jackson.

While we will miss his contributions to Sheik in Smash 4 I will do the best of my ability to keep this thread as clean and resourceful as possible. Thanks for all you did for us Jackson, you will be missed.

(This thread is based on the format of this thread http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...cks-the-data-dump-song-of-brainstorms.228712/ in the Brawl Toon Link Boards detailing his ATs and tricks. It was written by @Fox Is Openly Deceptive.)

Hey, guys! This thread combines all the collective knowledge about Sheik into one compendium, courtesy of myself and the rest of the Sheik boards. Post all of your new discoveries here and I will add them in as needed. Also, please give feedback as I would like to improve this thread as much as I can. Please note that many techniques and tricks are hyperlinked (the links are orange) to threads or videos discussing/displaying them, so if you would like to learn more about the topic, I highly suggest following the links. For each technique, Sheik heads indicate the relative usefulness of the tech on a scale of 1 to 5. If I miss anything, go ahead and comment about it or message me. Enjoy, and use these techniques, mindgames, combos, and tricks to play Sheik to her fullest and develop your own style!

Sheik's Advanced Techniques, Combos, and Other Tricks

INDEX :4sheik:
General Techniques
Pivot Techniques
B - Reversing
Run to Shield
Foxtrotting
Dash Dancing

Jab Cancel
Teching
Hyphen Smash
Instant Dash Attack
Reverse Boost (3DS Technique)
Platform Shield dropping

Grab Techniques
Tech Chase
Boost Grab
Shield Grab
Pivot Grab
Roll Cancel Grab

Quick Crouch Grab
Tomahawking

Grenade Techniques
Run-off Nade Cancel
Ledge Nade

Pit Nade
Sponge Nade
Thief Nade

Needle Techniques
Needle Cancel
Rising Storm
Needle Gliding

Lag Cancel Needles

Stormclouding
Perfect wavebounce
Sliding Needle cancels

Bouncing Fish Techniques
Distance Control
Run-Off Ledge Flip
Ledge Flip

Fish Blimp

Vanish Techniques
Vanish Gliding
Wall Slide Vanish

Landed Vanish Recovery
Vanish Catching
Autocancel Vanish

Aerial Techniques
Short Hop
Fast Fall

Tomahawk Feint

Tricks and Tidbits
Sheik Ledge Switch
The Rage Mechanic
Instant Ledge Grab

Standing Down Tilt
Underbounce
Banana Dair

Combo List and BnB

General Techniques

Perfect Pivot
How to Perform: In the first few frames of a dash, inputting the opposite direction for only one frame (can be done by flicking the stick) will perform a regular, lagless standing turnaround animation that can be instantly cancelled with any move. You keep some momentum from the direction of the initial dash.
Effect: As said, you perform a lagless turnaround.
Notes: This tech has a lot of potential that has yet to be fully exploited.

Pivot Forward Tilt (Turnaround Tilt)
How to Perform: When dashing :GCR:, instantly press :GCL: + :GCA: (or the other way around)
Effect: Sheik performs an Ftilt the other way without stop lag.
Notes: A nice technique, considering how useful Sheik's Ftilt is in combos. This can be used in many situations, as it is hard to punish.

Pivot Forward Smash (Pivot FSmash)
How to Perform: When dashing :GCR:, quickly press and hold :GCL:+:GCA: or :GCCL: (or the other way around).
Effect: Sheik performs and Fsmash the other way without stop lag.
Notes: I personally do not find it useful because of the move that it uses, but it may catch an opponent off guard.

B-Reversing
How to Perform: Do a special, then immediately press the opposite direction.
Effect: Sheik turns around to perform the special and you alter your aerial momentum.
Notes: Useful in baits and fake outs, especially with needles.

Run to Shield
How to Perform: Dash, then hold :GCLT: or :GCRT:.
Effect: Your dash stops and you seamlessly put up your shield.
Notes: Sheik's dash to shield is GREAT. Use this often as a very safe approach.

Foxtrotting

How to Perform: Keep interrupting your initial dash animation with a new initial dash animation.
Effect: You keep repeating your dash. This is faster for some characters (not Sheik).
Notes: Combined with a Perfect Pivot, you can do anything out of a foxtrot. (quoted from Yoki)

Dash Dancing
How to Perform: Input a dash in the opposite direction in the first few frames of a dash. In SSB4, any dash inputted this way has no initial momentum, allowing you to make your dash however short you want by timing your release of the stick. If you let go of the stick after only a couple frames, you do a stationary dash. If you let go of the stick after only one frame, you do a Perfect Pivot.
Effect: With good timing you can move back and forth.
Notes: This is a decent mindgame.

Jab Cancel
How to Perform: Stop for a slight moment after Sheik's Jab 1 or Jab 2.
Effect: You are free to follow up with another move. I recommend Ftilt or Dtilt.
Notes: This isn't really guaranteed but it is effective.

Teching
How to Perform: Press :GCLT: or :GCRT: before suffering a knockdown or bouncing off a wall. To roll, hold :GCR: or :GCL:.
Effect: Instead of getting knocked down, you get up quickly or roll to the side. Against a wall, you don't bounce.
Notes: Train yourself to do this every time you hit a wall or get knocked down. It can save your life.

Hyphen Smash
How to Perform: While dashing, input an Up Smash.
Effect: Shiek will do an Up Smash while sliding with forward momentum a short distance.
Notes: You can approach with this if you notice an opportunity. I personally find it useful when your opponent is on a platform above you, since this move reaches through platforms.

How to Perform: Hold directions on the control pad/stick while being hit.
Effect: You alter your knockback.
Notes: Used to survive strong attacks or escape combos. A universal technique that is highly important. Hold perpendicular to how you were hit for greatest effect.

Instant Dash Attack
How to Perform: Start a dash, immediately quarter circle down and press :GCA:.
Effect: You do a very quick dash attack.
Notes: This is a decent tech since Sheik has a solid dash attack. Doing this is better than starting a dash and pressing :GCA: normally because that has a risk of performing an Forward Smash whereas this technique does not.
Credit: Scala

Reverse Boost (3DS Only)

How to Perform: On a stage with any slope, jump forward towards the slant at the right end of the stage.
The immediate moment you land, crouch, crawl backwards, input an attack. (Dtilt, Ftilt, Utilt, Dsmash, Usmash)

Effect: Sheik does a crazy backwards slide while performing the attack.
Notes: This is pretty amazing. Sheik goes REALLY far with this tech. Learning this will improve your mobility and options on slopes
Stages: All stages with slopes such as castle siege, delphino, lylat and yoshi island on 3ds

Platform Shield Drop

How to Perform: Slowly lower your shield while on a platform. the timing is a bit fickle but the best way to describe it is "streaming your shield into a platform drop"
Effect: You can now to platform drop OoS and opens more windows for punishing
Notes: Combine with power shielding you can get a solid advantage over (or should I say under) your opponent.

Banana Dair (Tsundair)
How to Perform: Just Dair onto Diddy's banana. You will destroy the banana, wont trip, and cancel a ton of frames on the landing.
Effect: The dair hitbox can protect you during reduce landing lag, and can cripple part of Diddy's kit. You can even combo with Dair now
Notes: Of all things, Dair actually helps us in this one match up. As such the nickname for it is Tsundair, for never being there for us until it matters most
Credit: Absol 359

Grab Techniques

Tech Chase

How to Perform: Predict or react to your opponent's get up options/tech rolls and punish them. Often involves grabs, so it's in this section.
Effect: Tack on percent, start/extend combos, or kill your opponent.
Notes: Try to notice your foe's patterns, such as them rolling away from you often. This will improve your tech reads. A nice way to set up a tech chase at low percents is Vanish Catching. Check out the Vanish Techniques section for more information.

Boost Grab
How to Perform: Input a dash attack then IMMEDIATELY grab. A good way to do this while dashing is :GCCD: + :GCZ:.
Effect: Produces a much longer grab than Sheik's normal dash grab.
Notes: Very useful if you see an opening. Use often, but carefully. Shiek has amazing throws so the risk of this is worth the reward.

Shield Grab
How to Perform: While holding shield, press :GCA:.
Effect: You safely grab without having to drop shield.
Notes: A very simple yet very effective defensive tech. This punish will serve you well, especially after a run to shield.

Pivot Grab
How to Perform: While running one way, press the other direction and grab.
Effect: Grabs the opposite direction with extended range.
Notes: Good counter to approaches, or general mindgame.

Roll Cancel Grab
How to Perform: Hold :GCR: or :GCL:, press :GCLT: or :GCRT:, and then:GCA:(shield grab).
Effect: Cancels the roll into a long grab.
Notes: The distance is comparable to a boost grab. Very effective. I personally think boost grab is easier to do on a GC controller, but do whatever works for you.
Credit: Discovered by Leon Trotsky, thread posted by BONK.

Quick Crouch Grab
How to Perform: While crouching , press :GCRT: then IMMEDIATELY :GCA:.
Effect: Sheik quickly performs a standing grab from a crouch.
Notes: Doing this technique is much faster than standing up to grab. This works because you can shield from crouch but you cannot grab from it, so shield grabbing makes sense.

Tomahawking/Feint

How to Perform: Do an empty jump (short hop and land without doing anything), and grab your opponent. Alternatively you can spot dodge after you land as a feint to mix up your opponent
Effect: You tricked your opponent and got a grab.
Notes: This is a great mindgame because many foes are conditioned to shield when you jump at them since they expect an aerial. This is very useful, but your opponent will catch on if you do it excessively.

Grenade Techniques

Run-Off Nade Cancel

How to Perform: Run off the ledge and Side B either direction. Grab ledge.
Effect: When you grab the ledge, Sheik's lag from Burst Grenade is completely cancelled!
Notes: A very fun and effective edgeguard or anti-approach. Get used to the timing to grab ledge so that you don't self-destruct.

Ledge Nade

How to Perform: It's the equivalent of run-off nade cancel, but from the ledge. While hanging on the ledge, drop down, jump up and slightly to the side, and then side B either on to the stage or over the blast zone.
Effect: Nade lag is cancelled. The timing here is stricter than run-off nade cancel, so practice and make sure you don't SD.
Notes: This is amazing at helping you get back to the stage, or as an effective edgeguard. Don't be afraid to camp the ledge with this if your opponent is edge-guarding aggressively. Another great video by @ _Tree _Tree demonstrating this and the above tech can be found here .

Pit Nade
How to Perform: When onstage and relatively close to the edge of the stage, Side B and hold :GCD: as long as you want.
Effect: The Burst Grenade flies diagonally down into the blast zone and can explode VERY low (distance depends on how long you hold :GCD:).
Notes: This is a powerful edgeguard, but unlike Ledge Nades, Pit Nades suffer full lag. They are very good at intercepting low recoveries.

Sponge Nade
How to Perform: Throw a grenade that comes in contact with a hitbox.
Effect: This will cause the grenade to bounce further away from Sheik and almost instantly explode. It also absorbs projectiles that are not translucent. This means if you throw the nade into Samus's Charge Shot or Lucario's Aura Sphere the nade will absorb their attack before cancelling.
Notes: From @saviorslegacy :
Now there are a few problems with this tech.
#1 The nade is small as hell and it is really really hard to hit ANYTHING.
#2 The nade has to come in contact with a hit box BEFORE Sheik activates it.
#3 If Sheik is hit by ANYTHING the nade will just fly away and not explode.

*clears throat*
Now with that said I have tested with Tristan_Win and Wasserwipf and found a few instances where this is useful.

:4lucario:
If you throw out the nade and let it lay on the ground Lucario's aura sphere will still hit it when he has a bit of damage on him. This means you can trick him into throwing his aura sphere into the nade and killing himself.
Pretty much a one trick pony.

:4bowser:
This is one of the few match ups that I believe this tech to be truly useful against. If Bowser uses fire breath simply toss a nade into it. If will always hit a hit box w/o fail and will always fly into Bowser's face and blow up.

:4charizard:
See Bowser.

:4robinm::4robinf:
You can throw a nade into the Arcfire and cancel it. Spacing is tricky here so beware.

:4megaman:
If you see Mega Man charging up a FSmash, throw a nade at him. It is guaranteed to get hit by his FSmash if you time it correctly.
Credit: @saviorslegacy for the tech and its applications, and @ Absol Absol for the name.
Usefulness: This is very match-up dependent. On average: :4sheik::4sheik::4sheik:

Thief Nade
How to Perform: While an opponent is hanging on the ledge, do a Run-Off Nade Cancel (or you can short hop off the ledge and throw it outward), and grab the ledge.
Effect: Your opponent will be ledge ejected into the explosion.
Notes: This is a sneaky tech that may catch your opponent by surprise. To see this tech in action click on the hyperlink in the technique's name.
Credit: Although @Othayuni directly approached me with this tech, it was first seen in @ _Tree _Tree 's Burst Grenade video .

Needle Techniques

Needle Cancel
How to Perform: While charging needles, press:GCRT: to either air dodge or shield.
Effect: Sheik stops charging needles and keeps her current amount.
Notes: A very simple tech that is useful often. Charge needles, and when your opponent approaches, shield and you're fine.

Rising Storm
How to Perform: Once your needles are fully charged, full hop and immediately press :GCB:.
Effect: Sheik throws the needles and is able to jump or attack just before hitting the ground.
Notes: Improves your aerial needle lag and can be used as a sort of mindgame.
Credit: Tristan_win

Needle Gliding
How to Perform: Dash towards the edge. When you are about to fall off (while still onstage), press :GCB:.
Effect: Sheik falls off the stage and quickly throws her needles down at a diagonal angle.
Notes: Basically Vanish Gliding but with needles. This technique is great at gimping low recoveries, something that Ledge Nades can't stop. If you attempt this technique without fully charged needles, you will need to airdodge to cancel the charge.

How to Perform: Go into a run, do a grounded Needle B-Reverse, then cancel it with shield.
Effect: Sheik slides the opposite direction you ran.
Notes: For more information, see this video here . It's an interesting approach/mindgame.
Credit: MySmashCorner (YouTube) for the tech, @Overmaster and @Wasserwipf for the nicer name.

Lag Cancel Needles

How to Perform: When you're charging needles in the air, airdodge the moment before you land.
Effect: Sheik experiences no lag.
Notes: This tech is useful to make your needle game less punishable. A video by the guy who discovered this is hyperlinked in the name of the tech above and in the index.

How to Perform: B-reverse your needle glide at the edge of a platform.
Effect: You switch your momentum as you drop under the platform.
Notes: This techniques is pretty cool and useful. It gives you some movement mixups as well as charging your needles. Something to note is that you can also perform this tech and throw needles if you want to. The creator of this tech also told me this: "It's important to note that the edge of the platform for the pivot needle glide to work has a sweet spot. doing it too soon will just pivot needle on the platform, and doing it do late will make you needle glide forward but facing the opposite direction." Finally, if you want to see this technique in action, a video demonstrating this and the one above is hyperlinked in the name of the tech both here and in the index.
Stages: All with platforms.

How to Perform: Charge needles in the air, cancel them with an airdodge, and then cancel the airdodge into a special.
Effect: Cancelling it into more needle charging looks flashy, like Sheik is "having a seizure". However, the true potential of this tech is when you combine it with other moves like Vanish or Bouncing Fish (this is called Fidget Fish, but it is not listed in the Bouncing Fish section because it is associated with this).
Notes: You can do so much with this tech, but I won't elaborate here. I strongly encourage you to check out this thread for more information.
Stages: All, although further applications of this tech may not work on walk-offs.
Credit: @Wasserwipf for discovery and further research, and @saviorslegacy for helping him.

Stormclouding

How to Perform: Short hop across the ground, charging needles and then lag cancelling them with an airdodge (see 'Lag Cancel Needles' aboce).
Effect: Sheik can smoothly move across the stage while adding needles to her hand.
Notes: This is basically turning Lag Cancel Needles into a movement option. I suggest doing this in neutral as you approach or retreat, as it will efficiently give you more needles! To see this tech in action, check out @Othayuni 's video, hyperlinked in the name of this technique. Check out his video description for more information.

Perfect Wavebounce Cancels

How to Perform: While holding forward on the left Joystick, press Backwards C-Stick + Special at the same time, to get frontal wave bounce. Then quickly press and release shield to cancel the needle charge to enter neutral quickly. In the air, you can needle fidgit cancel into specials such as Bouncing Fish and Vanish.
Effect: "Wavebounce backwards while running or jumping and quickly cancel into any move. Keeps your forward facing direction."
Notes:
-You can also decide to not cancel at all and instead use a backwards dashing needle attack.
-Some other characters can also perform this. Ex: Mewtwo, but his shield will always come out.
Credit: TheReflexWonder

Sliding Needle Canceled Attacks

How to Perform: While running, let go of the left Joystick for at least 1 frame, press and hold Special, then very quickly buffer a C-Stick/A (jab) followed by a quick press and release of Shield.
Effect: Sheik carries over her running momentum and cancels quickly (7 frames) into any tilt/smash/jab.
Notes:
-This can be hard to learn but can also be ingrained into muscle memory for perfect reliability, so don't give up!
-Replace Special with a B-Reverse variant for a turn around version
-The buffer of C-Stick/A (jab) and then quick shield can also be used while landing and charging needles. Buffer right before the ground and press and release shield just as you land.
Credit: tronfox64

Bouncing Fish Techniques

Distance Control

How to Perform: After inputting Down B, press :GCL:or :GCR:.
Effect: Sheik's Bouncing Fish either goes a longer or shorter distance depending on which direction you face/pressed.
Notes: Getting a feel for this will improve your follow-ups and overall usage of this ability. Also note that you can make the hitbox come out earlier by pressing A or B.

Run-Off Ledge Flip

How to Perform: Run off the ledge, drop a bit but don't grab the side, and Down B back onto the stage.
Effect: Sheik lands on the stage but does a quick cartwheel get-up from Down B instead of the normal laggy animation.
Notes: Use for baits and fake outs. The success of this tech (getting the non-laggy Down-B) seems to depend on Sheik "brushing" the edge with her Down-B on the way up. If you get too close to the edge you will wall jump.

Ledge Flip

How to Perform: Same idea as the run-off version except performed by first ledge dropping, jumping, and then using Down-B onto the stage.
Effect: You land on the stage with minimal lag.
Notes: A very quick and effective get-up option. Most opponents don't expect this. You can use this tech to great effect by performing it quickly after a ledge nade, which all but guarantees you getting back onstage safely. Another fantastic video by @ _Tree _Tree showing off this tech as well as the edge cancel can be found here . You can also do this on platforms. The spacing varies based on the stages.
Stages: All with ledges/platforms.

Fish Blimp

How to Perform: On Animal Crossing stages, Bouncing Fish into a balloon.
Effect: Sheik will make contact with it, break it, and then rebound to the opposite direction.
Notes: This is what happens when you hit an opponent with BF, except that you hit the balloon, so you can then hit a real foe with the "backswing" of Bouncing Fish. This is a cool mixup at these stages, and luckily for us, these are played on often. Absol's video of this can be found here .
Stages: Smashville, Town and City, Duck Hunt stage (it is particularly effective there)

Vanish Techniques

Vanish Gliding

How to Perform: Dash towards a ledge. When you're about to fall off, Up B.
Effect: The momentum carries Sheik out and the explosion occurs offstage, to the side of the ledge. Sheik can then grab ledge.
Notes: An interesting and unconventional edgeguard as well as a way to quickly reach the ledge.
Credit: @Wasserwipf for confirming it in Smash 4 (although this tech has been present in Melee and Brawl)

Wall Slide Vanish

How to Perform: When under a stage with sloped undersides (FD, BF), use Up B.
Effect: Sheik's initial jump will propel her very far diagonally up the slope.
Notes: This can save a bit of time/recovery distance.
Stages: Stages with sloped undersides.

Landed Vanish Recovery

How to Perform: While on the ledge, drop off, move yourself right next to the stage wall, and up B diagonally up and in.
Effect: Sheik goes up onto the stage, does her grounded Up B animation right next to the ledge, and reappears away about 1/3 the distance of FD (if you held left/right in)
Notes: A nice recovery mixup. The explosion will punish your opponent from playing too close to the edge.
Stages: Stages with sloped undersides or wall sides.
Credit: formula91

Vanish Catching
How to Perform: At low percents, hit an opponent with Vanish, and then reappear diagonally away.
Effect: The windbox will throw the foe towards the ground.
Notes: This sets up a tech chase, which is cool. For you to follow up, the Vanish needs to be autocancelled.

Autocancel Vanish
How to Perform: While grounded use vanish up diagonally to the left or right, and you will land with no lag.
Effect: You can mind game your opponent into thinking you're open as most Up B's have landing lag. This is an amazing bait, but dont over use it.
Notes: The reason for this is that Sheik has a sweet spot falling distance to where she wont have to suffer from lag. You dont even have to be grounded for this to work, all you have to do is make you sure fall the perfect distance.

Aerial Techniques

How to Perform: When dashing in one direction, press the other direction before jumping.
Effect: You travel with forward momentum while facing backwards.
Notes: This lets you approach with Bair, which I consider to be very good as the hitbox on Sheik's leg is rather large.

Short Hop

How to Perform: Press a jump button quickly. I do not recommend tap jump for this.
Effect: You jump much lower to the ground than normal.
Notes: It DOES NOT, I repeat, DOES NOT matter how lightly you press the jump button. Only speed. Anyway, this lets you bring your aerial game to the ground, which is fantastic for Sheik. You need to be using this very often.

Fast Fall
How to Perform: Press :GCD: at the apex of your jump. If you perform an aerial you will need to input :GCD:again to get the desired effect.
Effect: You fall faster (who would've thought?).
Notes: This is very nice to use, as it speeds up your combo game and lets you return to the ground quicker. Use this to great effect by fast falling aerials and then using tilts.

Tomahawk Feint
How to Perform: After hitting an opponent's shield with an aerial, particularly Fair, fast fall and spotdodge immediately.
Effect: You will likely spotdodge through your foe's out of shield punish; most notably shield grabs.
Notes: This is a great tech and when applied correctly will keep you safe from a lot of out of shield punishes as well as letting YOU punish their attempted punish. A lot of punishing, huh? Something to note is that you can roll instead of spotdodge to mix it up. I also advise you to start jabbing or something after an aerial once your opponent catches on to your spotdodging to keep your foe guessing. A helpful video showing off this tech can be seen by following the hyperlink in this technique's name. Check the video description for more information from @Othayuni .

Tricks and Tidbits

Sheik Ledge Switch

Description: Sheik, when hanging on a ledge, can go all the way under most stages to the other side. The process is ledge drop, Bouncing Fish (make it as long as you can), double jump, Up B to the other ledge. It's a nice mixup or stall technique if needed. Seems to work on Battlefield, FD, and all Omega stages. Another way that doesn't utilize Bouncing Fish, also discovered by @Wasserwipf , can be seen [/url=http://abload.de/img/ledgewobflvj81.gif]here [/url].
Credit: Wasserwipf

The Rage Mechanic

Description: As Sheik takes damage, her attacks will deal more knockback. This effect seems to cap out around 150%. This effect is applied to all fighters.
Credit: Clash Tournaments

Instant Ledge Grab

Description: Run off the ledge and immediately tilt back towards the stage. You instantly grab the ledge. Although edgehogging has been removed which makes this tech less useful, it's still a very nice way of getting a low and fast Bair off to edgeguard.
Credit: Although this was in Brawl, Z'zgashi confirmed it for Smash 4.

Description: I've compiled a list of Sheik's moves that go through Battlefield platforms while Shiek is below them. Use this knowledge to improve your platform sharking! The list is as follows:

Up Tilt
Short Hop Nair
Short Hop Fair
Short Hop Bair
Short Hop Dair (If inputted early you will land on the platform)
Short Hop Uair
Up Smash (has a nice guaranteed sweetspot when hitting an opponent on top of the platform)
Burst Grenade (pointless, as the explosion does not hit them - the vacuum does, dealing 2%)

Overall, Up Smash is arguably our best platform option because the sweetspot kills so early.

Standing Down Tilt

Description: You can perform a Dtilt while standing by having the control stick ever so slightly down. Close enough to the middle to stand, but low enough to do a Dtilt when you press :GCA:. This trick isn't often useful but it does stop you from telegraphing Dtilts by crouching.
Credit: Some guy on the Brawl Marth Boards... I can't remember his name as of now.

Underbounce

Description: If you BF into a low wall, Sheik will attack again with BF as she rebounds up. It is notable that the hitbox here on the rebound is crazy. To see this in action, look here . Another thing to note is that Sheik will land onstage after doing this, so it's a nice recovery trick.

Description: After hitting someone with Bouncing Fish, while you are rebounding, press :GCA: to initiate a second kick. This kick's animation will end in the air rather than you having to wait to hit the ground if you don't do it. This is very useful.

Combo List

Note: Many of these combos are NOT guaranteed. This list is simply meant to provide ideas for follow-ups. Feel free to experiment with these options and incorporate any of them into your gameplay. Sheik heads indicate how useful the move is for starting/extending a combo (Scale of 1 to 5).

Jab 1/2 :4sheik::4sheik:
cancel into Grab
cancel into Ftilt
cancel into Dtilt

Forward Tilt :4sheik::4sheik::4sheik::4sheik::4sheik:
into Grab (low %)
into another Ftilt (low to mid %)
into Dtilt (low %)
into Utilt (low %)
into Fair (mid %)
into Uair (mid to high %)
into Nair (low to mid %)
into Dair (low to mid %)
into Dsmash (low %)
into Usmash (low to mid %)

Up Tilt :4sheik::4sheik:
into Grab (low %) or Dash/Boost Grab (mid %)

Down Tilt :4sheik::4sheik::4sheik::4sheik:
into Grab (low to mid %)
into another Dtilt (low %)
into Ftilt (low to mid %)
into Nair (mid to high %)
into Uair (very high %)

Dash Attack :4sheik:
Very minimal followups. I suggest trying to read their DI and going for a Nair or Fair.

Neutral Air :4sheik::4sheik::4sheik:
into Grab (low to mid %)
into another Nair (low to mid %)
into Dash Attack (low to high %)

Forward Air :4sheik::4sheik::4sheik::4sheik::4sheik:
into another Fair (low to high %)
into Nair (low to mid %)
into Grab (low %)
into Ftilt (low %)
into Dash Attack (low %)
into Dtilt (low %)
into Dsmash (very low %)
into Fsmash (low %)

Up Air :4sheik:
can juggle with itself (mid to high %)

Back Air :4sheik::4sheik:
into Grab (low %)
into Dash Attack (low to mid %)
into Bouncing Fish (mid to high %, DI dependent)

Down Air :4sheik:
Doesn't seem to combo into anything except MAYBE on a missed tech. I wouldn't use this move.

Up Smash :4sheik:
into Dash Attack (low %)

Forward Smash :4sheik:
into Dash Attack (low %)

Down Smash :4sheik:
No followups.

Needles :4sheik:
May combo at close range, but you probably won't get followups from them.

Burst Grenade (you must Ledge Nade to combo with this) :4sheik::4sheik:
into Bouncing Fish
into Fair
into Nair
into Bair

Bouncing Fish :4sheik:
Does not appear to have followups.

Vanish :4sheik:
Possible combos into the windbox.

Down Throw :4sheik::4sheik::4sheik::4sheik::4sheik:
into Uair Spike (low to mid %)
into Uair (low to high %)
into Nair (low to mid %)
into Bair (low to mid %)
into Utilt (low %)
into Usmash (low %)

Forward Throw :4sheik::4sheik::4sheik::4sheik::4sheik:
into Uair Spike (low %)
into Uair (low to mid %)
into Nair (low to mid%)
into RAR Bair (low to mid %)
into Usmash (low %)
into Bouncing Fish (low to high %) Note: Fthrow into Bouncing Fish is fantastic and something that you should go for very often. For precise information on this throw combo, look to this thread , which is a collaboration between @Tristan_win , @Wasserwipf , and @ Absol Absol . Thanks, guys!

All of Sheik's throw followups are rather DI dependent. Uthrow into Uair sometimes works, but Dthrow and Fthrow are our best throws. I would avoid Bthrow.

That's all for now. Please post your feedback and Sheik findings for me to add, and I will refine this thread over time. Good luck using Sheik!
About the reverse boost, Delphino and Lylat aren't on 3DS.

Illuminose

Smash Ace
hey guys

they reversed the momentum not sliding off edges thing

I can't test rn but someone please test if needle gliding is back

Illuminose

Smash Ace
I'm confused to what you're on about. Do you mean run off pivot needle?
last patch, techniques that would cause the user to slide off the edge of the stage or platforms, eg mk/falcon dash grab release and sheik needle gliding (among some other stuff with characters like yoshi and kirby) were removed. this global change was removed in 1.1.0 for the dash grabs at least, so I'm interested to see if needle gliding works.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Ohhh, so that explains why that falcon I was playing today was pushing me to the ledge the same way they used to before... that's dumb.

WondrousMoose

Mind the antlers
NNID
WondrousMoose
3DS FC
3024-5909-8345
It would be interesting to see a reassessment of the usefulness ratings of these techs. For example, B-reversing has proven to be one of her more useful tools because of its inclusion in most of her ATs and is definitely deserves a 5-Sheik rating. And 4 Sheiks for Fish Blimp? That's a bit much.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Thief Nade sounds completely useless especially when ledge trumping exists.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Yeah, the distance depends on when you vanish from what I know.

Top Bottom