• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The SBR's Official Position on Metaknight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veng

Smash Ace
So in the next year what if he continues to be broken, since he can stuff any approach with Up-B, will he ever be banned?

Just wondering, since I do main him.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
So in the next year what if he continues to be broken, since he can stuff any approach with Up-B, will he ever be banned?

Just wondering, since I do main him.
Short answer: no.
Long answer: it's up the TO, who - provided has a functioning brain - will not ban MK.

Lareit

Smash Ace
Looks like in Smashboards, we treat Captain Falcon like Chuck Norris, eh?
Most of the internet threats Captain Falcon as a Chuck Norris entity.

Infact chuck norris as a super powered entity has died out nearly completely to be replaced by each internet's factions icon.

Saurfang is wow's for example.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Link and Samus are bad in terms of the tier list because of them not having an easy to use, fast and unpunishable grab. Every character had kill throws in smash 64, but the tether ones from Link and Samus had super lag, bad luck for them. Link also had a terrible recovery. Otherwise he was tank.

I almost see the tier list in smash 64 being a list tallied by everybody's ability to recover; rather than their inherent whatever, mostly due to that everyone 0-death thang.

Anyway, enough smash 64, Metaknight in this game, i.e. the context, the engine, etc. is unbelievably exceptional in all facets that matter; except his weight and handling SOME projectiles. He makes maining a GOOD CHARACTER like Marth almost obsolete. It's not even the good kind like Fox/Falco clonage back in melee; one is purely better than the other in every way that matters.

Ax00x0

Smash Apprentice
*looks at WHOBO results*

*laughs*

Seriously, do we have to force feed this to you idiots? MK is BROKEN, BAN him. I could give a donkey ***** is M2K cries and stops playing or if it looks "weak" to other competitive fighters (which is highlt ironic considering other fighters have no problems banning people). Just own up to the obvious fact, so competitive Brawling has meaning again.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
It's a no win situation for the pro-ban side though if you think about it.

If a top player uses MK and places well, one could argue that the player is good and was gonna place high regardless of character.

If a top player uses MK and places badly, one could argue that said player had a bad day, didn't understand the matchup, etc.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Umm...
Ally maining Snake
DSF maining Snake
M2K maining Snake

Tell me that already isn't gonna be a guaranteed top 3 of the top 5 at a national tournament? The best part is two of these players have already proven it with Snake, and M2K I'm sure would figure Snake out and dominate in a heartbeat if MK were banned. All banning MK would do is make Snake mains take their place in results, along with maybe minor viability given to a character or two.

Also tell me why a tournament in Texas should have any influence over a tournament in the MW where once again Anther defeated every MK he played and Ally likewise managed the same feat? Banning MK would be meaningless.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Snake can be gayed by other characters. He has counterpicks. Dedede and Wario obviously do fine against him. There's a big difference in Snake and MK. You can't just assume every good MK player will be able to dominate with Snake until it happens.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Yeah I don't think Snake is second best anymore, I know Inui used to think he was amazing, dunno if he still holds that same view (didn't ask him at WHOBO).

And yes I agree with Squirtle too, Clowsui. He has some grab release problems but so does Wario lol.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I honestly think Snake is like the 7th or so best character

I think MK Diddy Pikachu Wario Olimar Falco are all better than Snake, and Squirtle too if he was allowed to be alone. I think Snake is very overrated. I think the other characters are just undeveloped.
M2K likes pikachu, yay. All of the pikachus are now happy. As a side note, MK can be beat, it is just the most difficult overall compared to the rest of the cast. He isn't everybody's toughest matchup, but it is annoying as everybody. It doesn't quite warrant a ban, but it just makes it a pain in the ***.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Ally maining Snake
DSF maining Snake
M2K maining Snake
Ally switched to MK in doubles when his snake failed

DSF switched to MK in singles and doubles for a long time now when his snake fails

M2K is M2K

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Ally switched in doubles against you guys but didn't switch vs a double MK team...I wonder why? I think it has more to do with good/great MK's destroying D3 in doubles than anything else.

Regardless, since when is this about doubles! Looking at one game in a doubles tournament to justify saying Ally is Snake/MK is a reach.

bobson

Smash Lord
People still want to ban Metaknight?

Umm...
Ally maining Snake
DSF maining Snake
M2K maining Snake

Tell me that already isn't gonna be a guaranteed top 3 of the top 5 at a national tournament? The best part is two of these players have already proven it with Snake, and M2K I'm sure would figure Snake out and dominate in a heartbeat if MK were banned. All banning MK would do is make Snake mains take their place in results, along with maybe minor viability given to a character or two.

Also tell me why a tournament in Texas should have any influence over a tournament in the MW where once again Anther defeated every MK he played and Ally likewise managed the same feat? Banning MK would be meaningless.
To be fair, the results would at least be a little more varied. Snake has legitimately bad matchups, but the best you're going to get against Metaknight is even or 45:55 on some stages. With Metaknight out of the picture, it'd be wise to pick up Dedede to counter Snake, Falco to counter Dedede, Game&Watch to counter Falco, etc., and you'd end up with more of a rock-paper-scissors game going on. When Metaknight's around, however, there's really no reason to switch to anyone else, and the grand finals of any tournament with the top three will inevitably end up as MK dittos.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
DSF didn't actually win with mk at all. he lost 2-0 to dojo in a MK ditto MM and lost a close mk ditto tourney match cuz of super camping, and i heard he lost to lees lucario too. He went snake in teams and inui told me he 4 stocked dojo/santis team when dsf went snake. I didn't watch so I'm just assuming he's not lying

ddd can't beat falco if falco plays properly, but snake can beat ddd if played properly.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
I believe MK is drastically far ahead of every other character in the metagame right now due to Mew2King and MK being easy to pick up. If there were players actually comparable to Mew2King, then MK wouldn't be such a problem, because other characters would have an extremely dominant player or two that could make that character progress a lot.

If DSF stayed loyal to Snake, Sethlon stuck with Falco, Afro stayed Snake instead of going Wario for a while, Futile didn't quit for a while, Seibrik stuck with Dedede who he was winning with anyways, Velocity didn't quit Brawl, etc., we'd have a different metagame right now where other characters could dominate as well as MK.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I believe MK is drastically far ahead of every other character in the metagame right now due to Mew2King and MK being easy to pick up
Mew2King could lift weights or eat more, then he'd be heavier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom