• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The SBR's Official Position on Metaknight

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProBrawler

Smash Lord
Westchester, NY ; Cornell University in the school
Yes, but he gets just a minor setback in placement for a very small fraction of the effort. My friend used MK for 3 days and he was almost as good as his main, who can beat pros. Like 98% of the people at C3 used MK at some point or another, including the top 2. Tell me there isn't something wrong with that (rhetorical).

DraKmoN001

Smash Apprentice
You are trying to pick out every flaw that Overswarm states, but you forget.
If you want to win a tournament, what reason is there to NOT play Meta Knight?
Could it be possible that one is not very good with MK? Perhaps one is more suited to play other characters?

Scinn

The Fluffiest
NNID
BLKROCKET25
ok can someone tell me who the hell MK is cause I keep seeing his name in alot of threads and posts sayin Mk should be banned from this tourny and stuff
yeah I know I am a very very BIG noob but I am a ok brawl player and please go easy on the insults people keep insulting me for some reason.
and I think dont think it matters if meta knight is banned he is easy as heck to beat

Overswarm

is laughing at you
So Overswarm you won basically everything with ROB to start out, and now you use MK and have not placed better than 5th. You are right, ban MK.
I also stopped playing completely save for tournaments. >_>

And yes, my teammate is good. If my teammate wasn't good I wouldn't team with him. That doesn't change that we went from placing in top 3 to placing #1 with no contest.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
I've already stated many times that I think MK is completely ridiculous until you get to high levels of play, so it doesn't surprise me that you do well in your region with MK anyway.

DraKmoN001

Smash Apprentice
Everyone is not good at a character when they start playing them. If I spent as much time playing Meta Knight as I did playing Link then I would be twice the player I am now.
I think you should mention that Link himself has terrible issues with recovering and speed. But that point aside, yes I suppose you would possibly place higher if you invested time and energy in the arguably best character in the game instead of the arguably worst character, you could probably do better with nearly anyone in the supposed "top tier" if you used them instead of Link (though I hardly see how that would make you "twice the player" you are now). ROB, Diddy, DeDeDe and Snake are more suited to my style of playing, while I suffer tremendously with characters like Marth and MK, and no amount of training would really change that now, nor would I look forward to it.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
So Overswarm you won basically everything with ROB to start out, and now you use MK and have not placed better than 5th. You are right, ban MK.
You missed his point entirely. Probably intentionally.
You are trying to pick out every flaw that Overswarm states, but you forget.
pretty much his point, and mine.

And yeah, I went to a Michigan tourney saturday, and a MK/MK team came in second place, losing only to a (better) MK/G&W team. One of the MK players on "Team Tornado" had only picked up Meta Knight on Wednesday.

You can't really pick up any other character and then place that high after only three or four days. (except maybe Snake)

I've already stated many times that I think MK is completely ridiculous until you get to high levels of play, so it doesn't surprise me that you do well in your region with MK anyway.
What are you saying?

Lawlb0t

Smash Lord
Lol...

More MKs are going to appear, thx gg.

BTW I think the only way ppl are going to realize anything is if the people that support the ban just pick up MK and spam tornado. Everyone will just get pissed off and realize how gay it is.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
BTW I think the only way ppl are going to realize anything is if the people that support the ban just pick up MK and spam tornado. Everyone will just get pissed off and realize how gay it is.
Tornado doesn't really work in MK dittos, Meta Knight is one of the few characters that can escape and then punish it, even if you hit him with it in the perfect spot.

At least, Kirbynado doesn't work against MK, I'm assuming MKnado is the same.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
Lol...

More MKs are going to appear, thx gg.

Tornado doesnt work well vs good players, period.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
This "Pick Up MK and Win Tournaments" theory only works in area with below par players. If Overswarm is having an easy time placing high using MK, that just reflects the skill in his region. You should have stuck with ROB, Overswarm. Now you're just left with a mediocre MK and a washed up ROB.

*edit* Plank and I may come off as cocky, but we know our ****. We both main MK in probably the most competitive region in the US. Anyone who isn't us, M2K, or an above average MK in a tough region seem to randomly blurt out "MK Facts" that are blatantly incorrect.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
I'd rather have a bunch of MK's then a group of fat penguins :p

I'm still neutral on the whole ban thing. If the SBR chooses not to ban him, that's fine by me.

-:bowser:Bowser King

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
I am on a blackberry on my way home from ecrc3, so I was probably beaten to this by a mile... But kirby nado is no where near as good as mknado, however both are punishable by MK so your point is valid

indianunit

Smash Journeyman
I'll say it before and I'll say it again, the more metaknights there are in tournaments, the easier it is to beat it. I've fought many metaknights and I find it very easy to beat them now

Counter pick snake and grenade counter!!!!!

Kennahh

Smash Apprentice
Confirmed, sending Magikarp. (Killingworth, CT)
Of course I could take any character out of high tier, and with the same amount of time and effort I put into my Link, be a better player with said character. However, if I take Meta Knight out of Meta Knight tier, I have more favorable matchups than any other character.
ROB, Diddy, DDD, and Snake may be more suited to your style of play, however you arguably always at a disadvantage when you play a Meta Knight main who has skill equal to yours. In addition to this, with 4 characters, you cover about the entire cast with good matchups. However, you still have plenty of losing matchups. Meta Knight, as a single character, has only good matchups.
The point is, a character should have flaws, like Link's or Snake's recoveries, Meta Knight may have a few such as his terrible ability to kill on the stage, but once a character is off the stage, Meta Knight can easily kill most characters.
Let's say we wait. Two things may happen.
A clear counter emerges, let's say that Character X can do a 0 to death infinite on Meta Knight. At this point, the game turns into Rock-Paper-Scissors. Be that character and reliably kill Meta Knight, play as Meta Knight and defeat the counter of Character X, or play as the counter of Character X and hope the other player doesn't choose Meta Knight.
If no counters emerge, more and more players will switch to Meta Knight. It has already been happening and will most probably continue to happen, eventually everyone who plays the game plays as Meta Knight.
Why not ban him for a few months? Everyone other character's metagame can catch up to Meta Knight's and a counter may be found within the time of his ban.
Meta Knight is bad for the game. Having no bad match-ups and no exploitable flaws make him much more powerful than any other character in the game.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Tornado doesnt work well vs good players, period.
Spamming it excessively won't work, and will just get you killed against some characters, but using it here and there in smart positions is essentially unstoppable. Especially since if it gets shielded or you see someone preparing to punish it, you can just move out of range, because Tornado's mobility is so high.
This "Pick Up MK and Win Tournaments" theory only works in area with below par players. If Overswarm is having an easy time placing high using MK, that just reflects the skill in his region. You should have stuck with ROB, Overswarm. Now you're just left with a mediocre MK and a washed up ROB.

*edit* Plank and I may come off as cocky, but we know our ****. We both main MK in probably the most competitive region in the US. Anyone who isn't us, M2K, or an above average MK in a tough region seem to randomly blurt out "MK Facts" that are blatantly incorrect.
You may not win tournaments, but you can place fairly high with very little practice, which I doubt you could do with any other character.
except Snake lawl

Hell, with the way I did in the tourney this weekend, I bet I would have placed higher if I had used Meta Knight or Snake instead of Kirby, and I play Kirby all the time, and am very good with him, whereas I almost never play MK or Snake.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
This decision disappoints me.
Hey it's only been 7+ months, not nearly enough time. I'm sure something revolutionary will be discovered, and Meta Knight will somehow not be broken >____________________________________>

brinboy789

Smash Champion
what is this, the like 9001th thread about him? i think SBR should lock this thread and post it in TD and lock all otehr MK ban threads, because its over. however, if something amazing gets discovered for MK, and he is again viable, then unlock the threads and bump. IMO.

im glad to hear this. i was waiting on this for a long, long time :D:D:D

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Why would you care brinboy? You don't even go to tournaments o_o

Naucitos

Smash Journeyman
I'm amazed that people don't realize that the main reason the tourneys are so full of MK isn't because hes good, but its because they're all sheep. He is good, but less people play him because of that than because everyone else plays him so they think they have to to win, the majority of the people who play him don't actually put thought into it
Why would you care brinboy? You don't even go to tournaments o_o
Seriously? Why would him going to tournaments make him not care about how this game develops if he likes the game?

Radiation

Smash Apprentice
os I posted in another topic that your heart was filled with malice and I wanted you to know I was just kidding even though I don't know you at all

but really, I think we should just have the tourney runners (maybe temporarily?) ban MK (RESPONSIBILITY) in locations where he is retardedly prominent (assuming this is actually a really big problem, I haven't gone to cross-country tourneys) and then the people that have caught the plague can go under quarantine for a while

otherwise I'm fine with MKs existing, I'm horrible with the matchup but that's partially my own fault, as long as I can see people like NL beating the snot out of awesome MKs I don't feel too horrible about it

East

Crappy Imitation
Doing Tricks in a Mansion Location: Tokyo, JP
To advance the metagame for other characters so that ways to beat metaknight are found and implemented. Thus, Metaknight dominance drops and the metagame as a whole becomes more balanced.

If you main metaknight and don't like playing with him, you're just being lazy. You'd rather take the easy way out than play another character competitively, figure out ways to defeat metaknight, and help lower the percentage of tournaments won by Metaknights.

If ya wanna help the brawl community grow in a positive manner, main someone else rather than metaknight. Sure you may lose money if you don't place top 3 in the short run, but in the long run you preserve the competitive environment so that there will be tournaments in the future, that metaknight won't dominate.

Master Raven

Smash Master
Anyone will do better with a higher tier character than a lower tier one given with enough effort into them.

If you were a Link main, and you switch and put effort into Snake, your Snake will do better. If you played Ganon, and put effort into Marth, your Marth will do better. Play Jigglypuff, switch to DK, DK will do better and etc.

NeoCrono

Smash Ace
To advance the metagame for other characters so that ways to beat metaknight are found and implemented. Thus, Metaknight dominance drops and the metagame as a whole becomes more balanced.

If you main metaknight and don't like playing with him, you're just being lazy. You'd rather take the easy way out than play another character competitively, figure out ways to defeat metaknight, and help lower the percentage of tournaments won by Metaknights.

If ya wanna help the brawl community grow in a positive manner, main someone else rather than metaknight. Sure you may lose money if you don't place top 3 in the short run, but in the long run you preserve the competitive environment so that there will be tournaments in the future, that metaknight won't dominate.
Lol, I hate you micah jk :laugh:
I have a lot of trouble fighting MK's with my favorite little toon
But I have been getting better, so I guess thats something lol

Overswarm

is laughing at you
All that means is that we have to try that much harder : )

You only fail when you accept defeat. I nor should anyone else accept defeat.
I'm sorry, what? I can't hear you from the loser's bracket. I'll come see you after me and the other Metaknights get done in the finals.

CO18

Smash Hero
I'm sorry, what? I can't hear you from the loser's bracket. I'll come see you after me and the other Metaknights get done in the finals.
Giving me 10 recent tournaments where the finals were Metaknight Vs Metaknight since it occurs oh so often.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
more like poor inui after bum ***** him the next weekend after realized he can escape.

but hey don't let facts get in the way of your ignorant ranting

ROB is gay too, you act like he isn't lol, rob vs mk isn't that bad, and just because rob can't mindlessly up b above mk like he can against most of the cast doesn't mean mk ***** him brutally, maybe you should get better at the game and play people better than the midwest instead of *****ing and still not placing with mk

you act like pick up and play is universal to mk, fact is brawl is easy to play, you're just too stubborn to admit it.

lolol what finals OS

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
I was going to be fine with either decision, but I'm glad that he's not banned. I just don't find him dangerous enough to stop the metagame so drastically. This game is still very young. Placing a ban already may be too rash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom