• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The SBR wants your help to hack Brawl for a potential project in the future!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
lol. He could have been righting that for hours. I could really use your support in cleaning this thread up Wind Owl, so yer...

DrAwesome

Smash Journeyman
bleh, way to make me look like a tool. You are right though. Although i would like to think my statements aren't that bad.

complexity1234

Smash Apprentice
change the intro of this thread to only CODE DISCUSSION.

Then give a link to the other thread that discusses balancing.

Revven

FrankerZ
One problem Panda.

Each game can only hold 256 lines of code, depending on what you do to modify each character, each code for each character is going to be some amount of lines long. There are 35 characters... what you propose is to change every character. If it's going to be above 10 lines per character, I don't see this working, the most you could probably get into one .gct file is probably 20 characters max maybe a little more.

I don't see this working, but, you can try it. I'm more curious about how would you even get all the characters to fit under 256 lines of code?

urdailywater

Smash Hero
we shouldn't play this game if we have to do this
No, no, no!

Sometimes you have to tear deep down into something to make it perfect, and every time it's worth it.

This is a great idea, and if I knew just a little about hacking I would gladly help you out if I knew an inch about it. Good luck with the project.

One think that would be bad about this is that the patches will be the responsibility of the community itself, and which can cause lots of arguements.

Ever played World of Warcraft? "Nerf rogues, buff mages!". There will be a lot of that happening if this project succeeds. I'm prepared myself, but it'll still happen.

Edit: 2 posts below. Tabaris hit the nail on the head on what I was saying.

Tabaris

Smash Rookie
I don't think the overall meta-game of Brawl is stagnant to the point of hacking (yet). In a sense hacking the game to create balance can damage the meta-game; and more importantly the Brawl community.

Say if one person mastered a character (post balancing hacks) and ended up reaching the epitome of said characters meta game.. Said person becomes so good and so recognized by the community, that he inspires many to pick up his main.. From here that character's metagame flourishes; and for a period of time progresses faster than the majority of the cast..

The problem lies within the rest of the community at this point. Now that we've discovered ways to modify Brawl, people begin to expect more buffs from their characters when they lose a certain matchup. They no longer feel the need to progress on their own instead of finding ways to get around their main's faults.. There have been many games that have tried perfect balance, and the idea sounds good on paper; but the human factor will make it a near impossible feat for the fighting game genre.

Hacking the game to achieve perfect balance sadly would damage the overall community in outcries for buffs and nerfs, rather than present an ideal perfect balance everyone could enjoy. Just my 2 cents

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
I think it is a fantastic idea.If people dont want the wavedash,l cancel and no tripping codes on thats fine.But this is keeping the game the same so to speak except making it it better I see no reason why this would be rejected.

Im sure all the mid/low tier mainers are sick of the impossibly uphill battle against the high/top tiers.

I mean how annoying is it to say make it to the final 10 in a tournament with say pika and know no matter how well you play that snake or DDD is going to have an easy time taking you out because they are FAR better characters?(yes I am aware that pika can destroy both Snake and DDD,just an example)

tha_carter

Smash Ace
Samus

Buffs;
Bombs explode ON contact
D-smash knockback increased
F-Smash knockback increased
B-Air Knockback increased

Metroid_01

Smash Journeyman
Atlanta, GA (school yr), Miami, Fl (summer)
Though this may have been more appropriately placed in the SBR, I rather like the option of having my opinion heard to some degree. I think I have been here long enough.

Regardless, if we can organize the community just a little bit (IE work on a dedicated, organized alteration thread), I think the input would be far better than just that of the SBR.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Memphischains = most stupidest spammer evar

I like the idea and I'll support it. It would be great too use the modified version sometimes during a tournament or host entire tournament with the new version to see people's reactions. It'll become apparent soon enough, how well it works and how popular it becomes.

Luigi player

Smash Master
I don't like this..

The only changes I'd like would be: Lucas and Ness grab release animations faster/shorter.
Dedede's chaingrab shouldn't be infinite to some characters.
MK should be a bit worse.
Maybe the Wario infinite or any other infinite should also not work.

^Those are major problems. Anything else would suck imo.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
You should realize, that a hacked version doesn't mean, that you can't play the original anymore

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
I had this idea months ago. Never thought it would actually happen, I was just speculating at the time.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=186863&highlight=patch

Plenty of older changes in there, not sure if they are as viable now.

It's a bit telling about Sakurai if his customers feel the need to balance the game for him, don't you think?

Also, for the love of god, it would be amazing if tethers could knock them off the ledge AND grab on. Although this could possibly have the effect of making Olimar god tier, it wouldn't be any different from edgehogging other characters I assume.

Luigi player

Smash Master
You should realize, that a hacked version doesn't mean, that you can't play the original anymore
Even if this is true I don't like it.

Basically, I don't want my characters changed. And yeah I can still play the original... with my little brother >_>

I don't want that everyone switches, because that would mean I have to too.

MuBa

Smash Lord
I think it would be a good idea to make a private group about this project seeing as how way too many people are being against this.

I for one thing have already showed people Brawl with wavedashing and _canceling in a HUGE Melee tournament and people were for the most part pleased with the outcome. Now only if we had the added hitstun code at that time, the game would have been almost worth competing with.

Sooooo....close this thread and get the aid of Phantom Wing?

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
Even if this is true I don't like it.

Basically, I don't want my characters changed. And yeah I can still play the original... with my little brother >_>

I don't want that everyone switches, because that would mean I have to too.
No, it doesn't. Stop pretending to be stupid and afraid of change.

brawler_pit

Smash Apprentice
Ive got a few questions,

Won't you guys get sued from Nintendo for doing this?

Ive heard good things about the SBR and the fact you guys come up tier list, match-ups, it would help if brawl got a "patch" to make it balance. Now, if you did get a perfect hack, how exactly do you aim to distrubute a patch and then get it into different types of formart like PAL???

Wind Owl

Smash Lord
Even if it were illegal (it's not), Nintendo doesn't give a **** what people do to their games/consoles.

Codes can be converted to PAL, but the SBR doesn't care about Europe and it takes effort to convert them.

Distributing is easy; people just download a file to their SD card.

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
yup... I knew it that this would happen

My advice for the SBR... nerf only the boring stuff, and do not touch at all the good stuff and boost all the other not so good stuff

In other words... even though it was only an example, I think all the Dedede nerfs except the slower grab startup are garbage

slimpyman

Smash Journeyman
screw no tripping. it essentially makes brawl brawl... lets start out by nerfing what needs to be nerfed... than go to buffs.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
This begs the question to me.

So we make all these modifications for the game. We have a balanced 1v1.
If it hits off, do we do the same with 2v2? I suppose it's something to worry about much later on but still just a thought. If there's a possible way to make a code that works for 1v1 AND 2v2 instead of just 1v1, that might be worth thinking about in the design process. I'm a CS major so it's been ingrained into my head to build with the future in mind and reusing as much old work as possible. If it isn't possible though, then it's something to be dealt with much later if we ever have to deal with it.

ZeonStar

Smash Ace
This is so exciting, I personally think that this would help the game so much, seeing as you usually only see a few characters that get to the finals in tournaments.

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
Diffidently something that needs to be looked into by the SBR. A system of nerfs and buffs are a great idea that i honestly didnt think they would ever accept as a project of sorts. These hacks are also very easy to implement and can easily be done at a tourny side event with relatively no problems. These hacks also take minimum time after the homebrew channel is installed and is just a matter of a few minutes of your time to add the codes and pop in your SD card.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
I'm so sick of people calling Falco the cheap easy character because of CGs...lasers don't help, but lasers will be lasers. I want to see the Falcos who do nothing but CG and lasers get *****.

Make Falco's down throw have more vertical knockback and less horizontal knockback, so it's not a horizontal Fox 2.0 throw.

Make heavy characters a bit lighter and lighter characters a bit heavier. If you want to see what I mean, go to training mode and up tilt Jiggly with Snake and see what % she dies at, then do it to Bowser. You're going to be pretty surprised with the difference.

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
If you want hackers en masse, the SBR should find someone willing to teach or distribute information to the mechanics of the game and all that. I know there are some people on the boards with knowledge in software, that just aren't well learned in console hacking.

I for one out of many would help if someone was willing to expose us to writing code to alter Brawl.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
I come back here and read 13 pages of this bulls*** and all I have to say is one thing.

What an complete abomination to the face of the smash commuitity.

I will say more later but if you display the 'wrong' opinoin, the thick headed fan boys will lash out on you.
Waits for some the be sad enough to repond to this

M.K

Level 55
I come back here and read 13 pages of this bulls*** and all I have to say is one thing.

What an complete abomination to the face of the smash commuitity.

I will say more later but if you display the 'wrong' opinoin, the thick headed fan boys will lash out on you.
Waits for some the be sad enough to repond to this
Thank you.
I love how some people try so hard to get what they want....:ohwell: Oh well, I guess it's live and learn.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Too many people are misunderstanding this. There has been no SBR decision on the matter. No consensus whatsoever. We only want to figure out the codes for the properties I described above so we could actually entertain the idea of possibly doing this. Nothing else.

This likely will not happen, even if all the codes are discovered, so you people need to calm down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom