• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The SBR official stance on Metaknight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Really? Holy crap. I wasn't aware. [/sarcasm]

No, but I'm willing to bet that the US of A has the largest, most active player base.
It does and, overall, I think there's only 5-6 members who come from somewhere else. (Again, I don't know exactly because I'm not fully aware who all is in the SBR.)

Who's the Luigi and/or Mario representative in the SBR? Because I don't think Boss is there, so I ponder :(
There isn't one and, according to Hylian, there doesn't need to be a rep because the SBR doesn't work like Congress. I do think it would help make a more accurate tier list though but that's just one (not so) fat man's opinion.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
*uses office computer at apartment complex*

I don't think you get what I'm saying... I don't think I can really break down what I said anymore. If anything, I think you're heavily underplaying the SBR's authority in the Smash community. It's almost like you're saying the SBR does what it does for fun and people just listen to them because they are sheep... I know that not everyone can be in the Super Happy Fun Time Smash Bros Club but please, please, PLEASE don't assume that people just willfully listen to the SBR because, like in a similar fashion to what Thomas Hobbes once said, we need authority to tell us what to do/think about certain things because we're so incompetent without it.
You're too much clenching on your construct of the SBR being an authority. I more see it as a symbiosis in between the SBR and the community.
The community hosts tournaments where top players go to. We see the results.
The SBR takes these results, analyses them and creates recommended rulesets/tier lists/what have you based on that data and shows its result to the community.
That's basically how it works.

We think that X is good for creating a competitive ruleset, so we recommend you using it. You don't have to, if you don't want to use this rule, though.

We think that the characters are ranked in how they are in the tier list. You don't have to agree with that, as the tier list has been based on the conclusions of the voters themselves. How they got to these conclusions, I can't tell you (except my personal ones).

We're not asking you to follow our rules, you follow our rules because they're reasonable, right?
If we made a ruleset allowing only 75m, banning Ganondorf and having Bob-Ombs on Very High, would you use that? I reckon you wouldn't.

The current ruleset is the basics, everything else is still evolving.

Who's the Luigi and/or Mario representative in the SBR? Because I don't think Boss is there, so I ponder :(
I've played the Mario Bros. a lot since the release and believe to be rather decent with them. I also do a lot of research dedicated to Mid and Low Tier, and, as it happens to be, the Mario Bros. are actually now in the center of my interest.
So you've got at least me as someone who knows quite a bit about the majority of Mid and Low Tier (exceptions are those I haven't had time to research yet, which is only a few - and a few I need to refresh my knowledge on, heh).
Furthermore, several of the SBRoomers have played other characters as well, and while there's no actual "representative" for several characters in the SBR, there are people who are able to talk about these characters without them being talking a lot of crap.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
It still is an authority on this forum though. Granted, outside of this forum, you guys are just a bunch of video game nerds like the rest of us but here you do have the power over opinions, per say. For example, my opinion against Hylian's; who's is going to win out and carry more weight? Hylian could say that King Dedede is the best character while I could say that Metaknight is the best and, even then, I would still be technically "wrong" based on the "hierarchy of authority." Mod trumps tournament director. You may not think so but on a web forum like this that's this size and extends to activities offline, that is a very big deal. It's kind of a stupid system but, if you've been a member on a lot of webforums like I have, you see this happen a lot. Your opinion may hold more weight in the public eye because of petty little things like post count or join date but this collection of opinions widely control how most people view things on a forum.

Tesh

Smash Hero
I see where this thread is going. The SBR being cast as a corrupt council of tyranny oppressing the masses just to serve their dark master, Metaknight. Foreshadowing a new poll in the near future : First Community Poll to Overthrow the SBR and Ban Metaknight.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
The SBR isn't the staff.
And not all of the staff is in the SBR.

I, personally, would more trust Hylian than you because Hylian is a well-known player and TO. That has little to do with him having a red (or purple, mind you) nickname.
Of course, your hypothetical scenario is a little off, since there's more factors than just a red nickname saying "Dedede is the best character" playing into people's opinions.

Flayl

Smash Hero
I would definitely trust Hylian over you for the reasons Spadefox mentioned. Having moderation powers never meant you were good at the game.

swordgard

Smash Hero
55% wants MK banned, SBR says he isnt ban worthy. People then suspect SBR of being corrupt. Its the only logical flow of ideas.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
I see where this thread is going. The SBR being cast as a corrupt council of tyranny oppressing the masses just to serve their dark master, Metaknight. Foreshadowing a new poll in the near future : First Community Poll to Overthrow the SBR and Ban Metaknight.
My signature just got a bit larger.

In all seriousness, the SBR is doing fine now, I really don't see what else they should do. A list of people in the SBR wouldn't really help you much apart from more whining about why this person deserves to be in the SBR.

The only way MK will see a ban is with more dominance, requiring more MK players.

∫unk

Smash Master
Good decision but SBR is still whack anyone with access either directly Or indirectly would know how many unqualified opinions there are and voted on this

that said the end result is what logically shoul have happened but sbr is not legit lol

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Good decision but SBR is still whack anyone with access either directly Or indirectly would know how many unqualified opinions there are and voted on this

that said the end result is what logically shoul have happened but sbr is not legit lol
Considering your wording and how you make it sound like everyone voting Anti-Ban is an "unqualified opinion", that would be 41 people out of those 100, not including people who were neutral.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
Why are those the only options? Why not have a middle ground? The SBR, I think, is a necessary body, but I don't see why they can't involve the active members of the community more. Imagine if the SBR themselves hosted 4 major tournaments every year, one in each quarter of the nation, and did all of their public polling at those events? Then, you'd get people meeting some of the SBR members (not so shadowy now, so more trust) AND you'd get the SBR able to take the pulse of ONLY the active members of the community (the people willing to go to a major tournament). This is only an "off-the-top-of-my-head" suggestion, too. There are ways to find middle ground; it doesn't have to be "SBR rules with an iron fist" or "it's the people's republic until the end".

And, last time I checked, there are PLENTY of people not in the SBR who think Smash/Brawl is competitive. I'm not in there, and I think it's totally competitive.

@FMOI --v : Hobbes FTW.
Oddly enough, most of us in the SBR ARE active members of the community to different degrees. Most are traveling tournament players. Many are prominent TOs.

The SBR has never ruled with an iron fist, and never tried.

I'm really not sure where you got your perception of this whole situation, bro.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Oddly enough, most of us in the SBR ARE active members of the community to different degrees. Most are traveling tournament players. Many are prominent TOs.
And to add on to this, being a traveling tournament player or TO is way more important than being an active contributor on the boards. If your knowledge of Smash relies solely on what you read and post on the boards than you really don't know as much as you think you do.

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
Would you be happier if there was no SBR, no group of smashers to recommend rules and discuss important topics? Or would you rather have the community as a whole, ignorant fools and smart veterans alike, holding the same ground? You choose.
Actually I would be happy if there wasn't a SBR. Coming from someone who came from traditional fighter communities like SF, I never heard of anything like a SBR until I came here.

Even though I understand that the SBR only recommends, you gotta understand that you telling us to host our own stuff doesn't hold that much water. Think about it, the majority of the community treat you as gods. So they won't question your rules or so called authority (Except a few people *coughxyrocough). With that said, we also gotta take regional codes to consideration. For example, if I decided to host a All-Brawl tourney or item standard play in my region, they will go "lol items are for n00bs". Host a Pro-Ban MK tourney and you'll get the same result as I said previously. They both lead to the same thing, no turnout at the tourney whatsoever. TO's have no choice but to follow your rules due to the majority of players at hand. Nobody likes change, so I assume that this will still be a problem since TO's won't likely experiment due to this.

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
I'm personally curious as to the spread of mains in the SBR. Not that I suspect any funny happenings, but I'm curious from a more statistical standpoint. You can do calculations to show the percentage of significance between two factors.

Anyways, I want to look through names, find SBR members, and check out the boards they post in commonly. That last part isn't the most accurate way to get mains, but that's why this is mostly for my personal use.

I have a question though. Are all red named moderators in the SBR? If not, that will become hard to distinguish. Also, if someone is named a "Smash Director" can they switch between the dark blue name and the purple name, or will the purple name (showing their invitation to the SBR) prevail?

Thanks kindy for the help.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
@BlueTerrorist:
The thing is, games like Street Fighter etc. aren't as popular with everyday's joe as Smash is.
It always has been a staggering amount of fan service and you'll attract a lot of morons with something that well-known. Let alone the age level is set lower on a game involving Nintendo's main characters. While age of course doesn't matter in some cases, the fact that younger people tend to be... less experienced in a lot of things is evident.

Communities like SRK or 8WR are far more mature and of course don't need a backroom - they still have the top players decide on tierlists and rulesets (which usually aren't really needed in more basic games like Street Fighter).

I have a question though. Are all red named moderators in the SBR? If not, that will become hard to distinguish. Also, if someone is named a "Smash Director" can they switch between the dark blue name and the purple name, or will the purple name (showing their invitation to the SBR) prevail?
No, as I already said, not all of the staff is in the SBR, only a few people are.
And it's up to the users what colour they show - I could switch to Blue or Standard -, some don't even have activated their coloured names, so they appear as "normal users".

____

Edit:
vv Good bye random person who has been here for about 2 months, made only a handful of posts. You'll be a great loss and we'll miss you. vv

RoK_the_Reaper

Smash Rookie
Well, this does it

Every since Metaknight came out, there has been debate over him. Period, cause he's broken. This game is now become how good you are against Metaknight. Period. This is pissing me off.

So,**** Smash, I'm done.

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
No, as I already said, not all of the staff is in the SBR, only a few people are.
And it's up to the users what colour they show - I could switch to Blue or Standard -, some don't even have activated their coloured names, so they appear as "normal users".
Ah, I guess that'll make just finding them really hard. I might look anyways :-p. Thanks for the info!

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I have a question though. Are all red named moderators in the SBR? If not, that will become hard to distinguish.
A good way to know if they're in the SBR is to click on their names, and check their Public Usergroups (not Social groups). That shows if they're Directors, Debaters, SBR members, Admins, or whatever you desire to see.

Also, if someone is named a "Smash Director" can they switch between the dark blue name and the purple name, or will the purple name (showing their invitation to the SBR) prevail?
Yep, people can choose between showing they're mods, directors, SBR, and even normal members.

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
A good way to know if they're in the SBR is to click on their names, and check their Public Usergroups (not Social groups). That shows if they're Directors, Debaters, SBR members, Admins, or whatever you desire to see.

Yep, people can choose between showing they're mods, directors, SBR, and even normal members.
That's very useful! Thank you!

Granted, the search through thousands of names will take weeks... But I'm both curious and patient (and a bit OCD, ha ha). At the very least, my member count will be accurate. Awesome stuff!

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
That's very useful! Thank you!

Granted, the search through thousands of names will take weeks... But I'm both curious and patient (and a bit OCD, ha ha). At the very least, my member count will be accurate. Awesome stuff!
You could also first and foremost check out all moderator's profiles and everyone who's in the Online list with a purple name throughout a day. That'll take away half of your work. ;P

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
I've played the Mario Bros. a lot since the release and believe to be rather decent with them. I also do a lot of research dedicated to Mid and Low Tier, and, as it happens to be, the Mario Bros. are actually now in the center of my interest.
So you've got at least me as someone who knows quite a bit about the majority of Mid and Low Tier (exceptions are those I haven't had time to research yet, which is only a few - and a few I need to refresh my knowledge on, heh).
Furthermore, several of the SBRoomers have played other characters as well, and while there's no actual "representative" for several characters in the SBR, there are people who are able to talk about these characters without them being talking a lot of crap.
Makes sense. There's not a lot to Luigi anyways, but he can be a surprising character. Racks up damage fast and kills quickly. If only he had range.

I don't know anything about Mario :(

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
Makes sense. There's not a lot to Luigi anyways, but he can be a surprising character. Racks up damage fast and kills quickly. If only he had Aerial moblilty.

I don't know anything about Mario :(
Fix'd.

Really, it would let him approach, which is what he really needs in such a campy game.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
Actually I would be happy if there wasn't a SBR. Coming from someone who came from traditional fighter communities like SF, I never heard of anything like a SBR until I came here.

Even though I understand that the SBR only recommends, you gotta understand that you telling us to host our own stuff doesn't hold that much water. Think about it, the majority of the community treat you as gods. So they won't question your rules or so called authority (Except a few people *coughxyrocough). With that said, we also gotta take regional codes to consideration. For example, if I decided to host a All-Brawl tourney or item standard play in my region, they will go "lol items are for n00bs". Host a Pro-Ban MK tourney and you'll get the same result as I said previously. They both lead to the same thing, no turnout at the tourney whatsoever. TO's have no choice but to follow your rules due to the majority of players at hand. Nobody likes change, so I assume that this will still be a problem since TO's won't likely experiment due to this.
I'm on a career related hiatus from hosting major events currently, but last year, I hosted half a dozen brawl tournaments, and I didn't use the SBR rule list a single time. I wasn't even in the SBR when I started. And yet, my turnout grew every time I hosted, and I was accepted into the SBR primarily because of how good of a tournament organizer I was.

I say this because I don't want people to believe that they HAVE to do what the SBR recommends. We ourselves don't copy and paste the SBR ruleset when we host our events.

Ask around the midwest forums. I've used more stages in my tournaments than you could imagine. I've had Bridge of Eldin, Hanenbow, Skyworld, etc. all on CP at different times. I experiment with all sorts of weird stuff. Most of the time, NO ONE CARED. I had a few melee fanboys who hated on brawl who would laugh at my stagelist on the boards, but then they'd show up at my events and play anyways, along with the rest of the midwest.

Don't be afraid to do your own thing.

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
I'm on a career related hiatus from hosting major events currently, but last year, I hosted half a dozen brawl tournaments, and I didn't use the SBR rule list a single time. I wasn't even in the SBR when I started. And yet, my turnout grew every time I hosted, and I was accepted into the SBR primarily because of how good of a tournament organizer I was.

I say this because I don't want people to believe that they HAVE to do what the SBR recommends. We ourselves don't copy and paste the SBR ruleset when we host our events.

Ask around the midwest forums. I've used more stages in my tournaments than you could imagine. I've had Bridge of Eldin, Hanenbow, Skyworld, etc. all on CP at different times. I experiment with all sorts of weird stuff. Most of the time, NO ONE CARED. I had a few melee fanboys who hated on brawl who would laugh at my stagelist on the boards, but then they'd show up at my events and play anyways, along with the rest of the midwest.

Don't be afraid to do your own thing.
*Claps*

Put a link to this quote in the OP. Experimenting is how games develop.

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
Fix'd.

Really, it would let him approach, which is what he really needs in such a campy game.
Aerial mobility would help, but it would only put him in a better boat than Mario. Not to mention, it wouldn't do a thing against MK, Luigi's hardest matchup. If he had range, he could play the campy game back, and force them into a position where he can land one of his tilts or aerials to start the combos.

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
Aerial mobility would help, but it would only put him in a better boat than Mario. Not to mention, it wouldn't do a thing against MK, Luigi's hardest matchup. If he had range, he could play the campy game back, and force them into a position where he can land one of his tilts or aerials to start the combos.
Or with air mobility, he would be like wario, and be able to beat camping with baiting and weaving. Wario can get inside MK, and he has just as bad range.

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
You could also first and foremost check out all moderator's profiles and everyone who's in the Online list with a purple name throughout a day. That'll take away half of your work. ;P
That's a great idea. I'm also planning on running through the member list with post count filters in mind. Checking the group listings of everyone with 1000+ post counts would help me out too. I'm not sure how many I'll miss that way, but if I also check the list of online people, things should get covered pretty well.

--

Also, what is the difference between the Back Room and the Workshop Back Room? (Pink names?)

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Also, what is the difference between the Back Room and the Workshop Back Room? (Pink names?)
There's actually several Backrooms.
The Backroom (green), the Smash BR-Brawl and SBR-Melee (Brawl is purple, Melee I'm not sure if they have a colour anymore) and the Workshop's BR (magenta).

The SBR is the people who make the recommended rulesets, tierlists, etc. for Brawl and Melee (depending on in which SBR they are).
The Workshop's BR... I dunno what exactly they are doing, but their role is for the hacks and alterations of Brawl, such as Brawl+, as well as researching the original game's data like hitboxes with the help of hacks.
The BR is a magnificent place of wonder.

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
Or with air mobility, he would be like wario, and be able to beat camping with baiting and weaving. Wario can get inside MK, and he has just as bad range.
If Luigi had that good air mobility, he would be flat out broken. XD

I actually shouldn't have said "if only he had..." because it applies to everyone. If anyone had this or that, they would clearly be better. Gotta stop dreaming of a world where Pink Luigi is top tier and there's no discussion about banning a character :(

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
There's actually several Backrooms.
The Backroom (green), the Smash BR-Brawl and SBR-Melee (Brawl is purple, Melee I'm not sure if they have a colour anymore) and the Workshop's BR (magenta).

The SBR is the people who make the recommended rulesets, tierlists, etc. for Brawl and Melee (depending on in which SBR they are).
The Workshop's BR... I dunno what exactly they are doing, but their role is for the hacks and alterations of Brawl, such as Brawl+, as well as researching the original game's data like hitboxes with the help of hacks.
The BR is a magnificent place of wonder.
This is becoming a very "get to know your SWF" experience. Thanks for all the info. This has definitely been one of the more active and friendly exchanges I've had in a while :-p

I also hope the research on hitboxes turns out well! I remember the melee hitbox project. Getting to see data like that was really impressive!

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
the arguing in this thread is just as good as the arguing was in the ban MK thread.
keep dancing guys.

I mean... i guess it's good to vent, but it is what it is. If your region (or TO) bans MK, that's cool. If your region (or TO) isn't banning MK, that's cool too. At this point, just do what you do.

waaay off topic: in terms of color names, how do I get that Lime Green that I had during April Fools Day?

'V'

Smash Lord
Well now that we've finally realized what we need to do as TO's, we should close this thread, right?

*wishful thinking*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom