• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Samus Boards are at Peace | The Dead Social

i made this poll before polls were cool

• Total voters

waldorf2007

Smash Ace
NNID
Waldorf2007
funny thing is against most people, they don't realize the trading power of samus's up tilt. Also they think/know samus sucks, so their bread and butter move will get through.
For example when I fight samuses, as DK, I always get killed by ftilt because I underestimate it. I fall with bair expecting really nothing to happen at 150% and the utilt comes out almost instantaneously and the top hitbox trades with DK's bair. So it's a good 1 time gimmick, and not a bad option in other situations.
by utilt, to clarify, I mean the hit where they're in the air. on the ground it's ***.

Sarix

Smash Ace
It's very much a kill move, if only because when your opponent is at 160% you should prioritize landing it.
I never said it wasn't a kill move, I just find that compared to her not much better kill options that it's less useful because of how if it is messed up it will have lost a good chunk of KO power.

Bad kill percents aside, it is quick and efficient when it does kill but otherwise I find it a pest to connect with half the time & mostly just stales when I try to finish a combo or punish with it to get a KO. I just have an easier time landing Bair & Fsmash for kills with CS as a fallback, to each their own.

Sarix

Smash Ace
Really?

Whenever I looked up hitbox data for Samus it always said dtilt had a small hitbox. Now that I looked it up again, you're right on that part.

Aside from that it mostly felt like the hitbox was smaller than it really was so I may have just been overly precise in trying to land it.

I have seen players like Xyro and KillerJawz use it outside of killing for starting combos, primarily on heavier characters though.

Sarix

Smash Ace
Ah I couldn't tell if you were joking or not. I can see how it can be a -3 but in other ways I see it as a -2. I'm fond of the Lucario & Donkey Kong matchups myself.

waldorf2007

Smash Ace
NNID
Waldorf2007
fond of DK matchup? I need to fix that. DK vs samus is super fun....if you're DK.
I guess it's fun for samus if you can keep DK from getting in.
I like all the (other) low tiers against samus except for lucas. stupid boy is annoying.

Sarix

Smash Ace
Aside from better close range attacks, weight, & KO power DK gets to have the joy of getting inside and Samus likes big targets that are easier to shoot stuff at. Granted once he's in he'll have a field day knocking her around like a rag doll. But the fun part is setting up the projectile walls to keep him out.

DtJ Composer

The Heroine Appears
BRoomer
Samus:DK is entirely Momentum based imo.
Once DK gets in it's demoralizing but Samus has all the ways to make sure that never happens.

Just gotta play wicked smaht.

Also Samus with a banana is a really good character I think. Plus I just love item play.

Sarix

Smash Ace
That's why I've always found the MU closer to even for Samus vs DK but I can see why it's -1.

I haven't played against a lot of Diddies, but I learned most of my item play from playing Peach before Samus. I do agree that Samus + banana = fun match.

waldorf2007

Smash Ace
NNID
Waldorf2007
I think DK can basically NEVER get in on a good samus without taking some damage, but after the damage is taken, if DK is under 120% or so he'll be close enough to get in on that ***.
Get Esam in here, btw, he beat all of NC with just samus.
only reason I'm here, lollll

DiSQO_BuNNY

Smash Lord
NNID
DisqoBunny
Samus should be so broken.
She should play like fox and kill like snake, five jumps like Kirby, and the charge shot should kill like lucario.
Wtf is Nintendo doin over there man?

:phone:

waldorf2007

Smash Ace
NNID
Waldorf2007
nintendo probably considered all the power samus should have and reduced damage and stuff on it, but way too much. always seemed like they should by the power suit fact, make her as high tier as possible, but they overnerfed i think

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I think they tried to offset her projectile spam gameplay with bad kill power.

That said, bair and dtilt kill okay. I guess.

Smash attacks are for desperate times though. looool

Sarix

Smash Ace
Honestly Nintendo has some really screwy ways of trying to balance their games sometimes. They always try & fix what isn't broken, apparently they have to nerf half the cast to try & balance one character's flaw.

Even after a decade though what really frustrates me about HAL's game design especially is how they add useless elements to actions such as Zelda & Yoshi going helpless from Din's & Egg Roll respectively considering Egg Roll's air movement is a joke when started up & you can't have more than one Din's Fire out anyway. It's those little things that not only make no sense but are extremely noticeable to the audience.

In the case of Samus, you would think a woman who's archnemesis is a 12 ft tall space pirate dragon and constantly adventures around hostile environments would be high tier. When it comes to her combat design they got the long range part down but it seems like her ground game they just expected to work without thinking as to what it could be used for.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
+1 in the tier list, gents, we're moving up. By this time next year, she could be top of Low Tier.

Also I'm somewhat not dead anymore. Got fired/stopped living in what was essentially a shed, and noticed I still have this game.

Zanx8

Smash Journeyman
I'm starting to play Samus, so I'll be trying to do good with her. xD

Wow, this thread is really dead. >.< I'm starting to improve with her though!

Zanx8

Smash Journeyman
How come? I thought this would have been somewhat active... Also, sorry. >.> I'm still not used to the site rules about that xD

Sarix

Smash Ace
More like because Samus has never been a very popular character in Smash to begin with. And with such large weaknesses in her character that are easy to exploit Samus has below average to poorer MUs and tourney results and not many people trying and find ways to make her better.

Zanx8

Smash Journeyman
I've been practicing hard everyday so I can end up making her better in anyway possible in the future. It sucks though how most of the Samus mains are gone. :( I want to place well with her, but I also occasionally use Zero Suit Samus too.

DtJ Composer

The Heroine Appears
BRoomer
Xyro and No-ID were never here that often anyway.

NoID started writing a lot of good stuff but disappeared. Xyro spent a lot of time telling people they were wrong and not a lot of time being constructive.
Me Ismar and Cherry were around/relevant briefly.
Serris just mods.

It's an elephant graveyard out here.

Zanx8

Smash Journeyman

NoID started writing a lot of good stuff but disappeared. Xyro spent a lot of time telling people they were wrong and not a lot of time being constructive.
Serris just mods.

So it wasn't really active ever?? I know the guide and the MU discussion is pretty much dead x_x and outdated, but uh who do I ask for advice on here then?

DtJ Composer

The Heroine Appears
BRoomer
Well it was active for a little bit, when NoID and Xyro were both active and still competing with each other.

And you can still ask here, there are people floating around still as you have probably noticed. It's just not as lively as it used to be.

Sarix

Smash Ace
I've been practicing hard everyday so I can end up making her better in anyway possible in the future. It sucks though how most of the Samus mains are gone. :( I want to place well with her, but I also occasionally use Zero Suit Samus too.
I'm guessing by your avatar that you're a Peach main; it's actually somewhat convenient for Peach mains trying to learn Samus because they have a surprising amount of similarities in very subtle ways. It really is depressing how dead the Samus community is, I'm literally the only person who even touches much less co-mains her in Michigan right now.

Zanx8

Smash Journeyman
I'm guessing by your avatar that you're a Peach main; it's actually somewhat convenient for Peach mains trying to learn Samus because they have a surprising amount of similarities in very subtle ways. It really is depressing how dead the Samus community is, I'm literally the only person who even touches much less co-mains her in Michigan right now.
I main her in Melee. xD I dropped her in Brawl so I can do Samus/Zero Suit Samus. It does make me upset too, with barely any Samus mains active. It probably did make transitioning to Samus from Peach though in Brawl a lot easier because they are similar. That sucks though :( I think I'm the only one in New England not even just my state how no one else uses Samus.. I'll be talking in here a lot though haha. At least there is a few others talking her too.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351

Serris just mods.

I'd say this is probably the most accurate assessment of the state of these boards ever put into writing.

Top Bottom