• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Samus Boards are at Peace | The Dead Social

i made this poll before polls were cool

• Total voters

Zanx8

Smash Journeyman
Lets go on the road to building this board back together, and making this character better than she seems to be currently. I will start learning MUs from here on I guess so I can help with them. It does suck how we got reset though. :/

Sarix

Smash Ace
I've got a pretty good rough draft of all my notes on Samus down. Do you guys want me to start another thread for it? I wanna help try and revitalize the Samus boards too. :D

DtJ Composer

The Heroine Appears
BRoomer
Uhm... I wanna say no. But I'm having trouble finding a better thread for it. Give me a bit to get off work (smashboards at work woooo) and get an idea for what to do with the boards and then I'll let you know

Zanx8

Smash Journeyman
Sweet! I can help with discussion on the Link MU since I play a Link a lot xD
Should we make new MU threads for whoever we don't have?

Sarix

Smash Ace
Well aside from working on MUs I was thinking of trying to not only help update the guide by adding things like frame data and making sections collapsible but make it look more presentable as well. She might never be popular but at least we can show we care about her by making the info more presentable for anyone who might try to pick her up. I was also thinking of writing a noob guide for her to help make her feel a little less difficult to pick up. Just some ideas.

DtJ Composer

The Heroine Appears
BRoomer
Ok so over the next couple of days I'm going to start making threads where we need them, and making thread to organize and link to specific things better.

Basically attempting a pretty decent overhaul so bare with me!

Also I'll try to make some kind of "player musings" thread or something where you guys can post your thoughts and guides on the character (a la Sarix)

Zanx8

Smash Journeyman
Guests must love these boards. LOL
Hi Zelda main. ._. I think we had some improvement in activity for these boards at least!

evmaxy54

Smash Champion
NNID
maXywashere
Yea... Lulz :p
If it makes you feel better, I second Samus XD (though I'm not sure why, since I main Zelda who is also bottom tier)

Zanx8

Smash Journeyman
Okay, so you are in the club now. Come on other Samus mains/users this is a social we should be more social in here. xD

Zanx8

Smash Journeyman
Oh snaps, activity in the Samus boards, didn't know people still played her, much less posted in the social.

:phone:
Yep, luckily we kept activity from vanishing too. There will always be at least a few people playing her....I hope.
The Yoshi MU is weird and I don't know how to play it one bit. :(
But I'm confused what dangerous game are we talking about?!?!? O_O

Sarix

Smash Ace
It's a pretty even MU in my opinion. We can pressure him really well but he will win on the ground, his tilts are all faster than ours. Egg Toss is a good poke to break up our pressure so it's good to save the air dodge so you can avoid it and not let him break through. If he manages to juggle Samus it puts her in a really bad situation as it sets her up for Yoshi's best killer, Uair.

I find mid range spacing the best way to control the flow of the match because if we're too far Yoshi will be more likely to break up our spam with eggs and being too close will make us eat his faster ground game. Whenever Yoshi shields it's almost a free grab from sheer slowness. Considering Yoshi has to stay pretty aware of his spacing as well Samus can take advantage of it with her superior range.

That's about it for basics on the Yoshi MU, it's quite deadlocked at even given both chars have significant advantages in different areas.

Zanx8

Smash Journeyman
Yay, maybe next time I won't be confused on fighting Yoshi. Especially when I was rusty. :(

Sarix

Smash Ace
He's not a difficult MU, but imo it's quite fun to play though since it is so even in surprising ways.

Edit: Btw Dt3, when are we gonna get that "player musings" thread made?

DtJ Composer

The Heroine Appears
BRoomer
Yeah sorry, I've been shirking on stuff because I've been keeping way busier than I had intended. But hopefully sometime in the next couple of days (see: before next tuesday) I will have sat down and made the stuff I had intended on making.

Also Yoshi is ez peez just ask Hadesblade the big Mikey H

Sarix

Smash Ace
Understandable, I was just curious just so the boards don't stagnate again.

I still need to get move picks and apply the visual hitboxes onto them in my notes. I also plan to make a noob guide, even though she is unpopular might as well let anyone interested learn her properly so they don't give up too early.

Edit: Hopefully if we muster up a bit more than like 5 people we could form a skype group.

Sarix

Smash Ace
I thought it might be a nice idea. I also just finished making a noob guide for Samus.

Edit: Yay! My analysis of Samus is now 46 pages long! It's practically a thesis.

Zanx8

Smash Journeyman
It is of course a good idea, since it can be anyway way we all connect. =P But shouldn't you post the noob guide then? Still wow...I never knew so much about Samus could be written down. XD

Sarix

Smash Ace
I plan to post it but I don't want to step on Dt3's toes in the process of helping reorganize the boards. Yeah it's quite an info dump, it's basically a guide itself with more move data and info on ledge play and how Samus works overall.

Zanx8

Smash Journeyman
That does make sense, well I'm pretty sure I can learn at least one thing from it too haha! My Wii isn't working right now, and I have no other way of offline practice so it's going to be a while before I can play again. =( I'm glad at least people still use Samus and keep the skills of the bounty hunter! You know, sometimes I get those funky moments where I get like multiple up smashes. XD It does look silly after getting like 20% off of that move only.

Sarix

Smash Ace
I'm personally of the mentality that if we formed a more dedicated community like the yoshi boards that Samus could possibly get into lower mid tier with some effort. I mean after writing an already 46 page guide (including noob guide) her frame data and hitboxes are pretty decent and she has quite a bit of flexibility in what she can do and I feel some of her mid tier MUs aren't as bad as they say (i.e. DK and ROB for example).

This might just be me trying to keep or more optimistic beat to her potential though.

Her Usmash isn't great, though it has a big disjoint on it (think Peach's Utilt big) which is nice, I use it to mix up how I poke under platforms personally with hyphen smashing. And somehow the last hitbox will KO opponents at 167% uncharged, no joke, I tested it with Mario at the center of FD with no DI.

Edit: So yeah I just added the ATs section to my current 46 page analysis/guide along with some extra physics info and it's now 55 pages.

Zanx8

Smash Journeyman
That I would be glad to see, we'll just find out if it happens or not. She can definitely hold her own against what seems like characters are better of course. xD It takes someone people who go beyond what the character can do to show how good the character/player can be. =P It is good for the disjoint only sadly...I wish it was kinda like able to suck in opponents not having them easily SDI out of it think Zelda's up smash kind of trapping? Still, the last hitbox seems to never land for me :(
Edit: WTF at 55 pages!

Sarix

Smash Ace
Lol, yeah guess who has no life and wants to help a char they love?

She has a steep learning curve which makes her hard to use at first. And people constantly underrating her doesn't help, like her ground game for example isn't too bad imo. I don't rely on it mainly but many of her ground attacks have good range so it's an at least average ground game considering she can get some nice combos out of it.

I find killing with Usmash (it's really a joke kill move) work best if the opponent is behind you to land the last hit. Though personally I just stick to Fsmash, Dsmash, Dtilt, and Bair.

Zanx8

Smash Journeyman
I'm guessing that is you and the rest of us? :3
Her combos are so fun, and have variety unlike most characters. Her steep learning curve makes it worth it once you learn her, but I have yet to get through this learning curve. >_> It's so fun doing it of course. I like the one time combos I can get from down throw. I mainly kill with those moves, except trade down smash and back air for up tilt and charge shot. XD

Sarix

Smash Ace
Utilt is a pretty decent killer, killing at 153% upwards. I prefer to rack damage with Charge Shot since I find a really predictable kill move but to each their own. She has a wide variety of combos which is one the reasons I say she is similar to Peach, that and both of them have that learning curve.

Uair and Fair lead into a lot of stupid combos, it's like she has an upside down and a sideways version of Peach's Dair, only both are much faster and have better range. I need to work on using Nair for combos too since its knockback is nice and low for comboing.

Edit: I may just throw the guide up on a new thread today just so it's on here though.

Zanx8

Smash Journeyman
Yes, up tilt kills at a decent percent and I like it for combos too. Charge shot does have a lot of cool uses with the ATs, that I have yet to master. Fair and up air definitely is amazing for combos, especially linking multiple fairs or up airs. I've never tried using nair too much in combos, only OoS. XD I like retreating fair at times. It would be good to get up the guide even though it'll be super long.
One thing I need help with is getting the kill on Falco though, I'm not sure how to land one outside of reading side b. :/

Sarix

Smash Ace
I plan to make collapsible sections for the guide so it's less wall-of-texty. I'm not well-versed in the Falco MU, no one really touches him in MI, sorry. :(

Zanx8

Smash Journeyman
Okay good, since I don't think a "noob" would want to be scared away from so much at once. XD And ffffffff okay. :(

Top Bottom