• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Samus Boards are at Peace | The Dead Social

i made this poll before polls were cool

• Total voters

DtJ Composer

The Heroine Appears
BRoomer
How many pages did you say it was? o.o

If it's relatively short would you mind PMing it to me so I can look over it?
If it's relatively uh... long... then I dunno. I don't have a plan for that.

I realize now that the guide is probably not as long as all of your thoughts on the character. If you could PM me the guide so I could give it a looksies over when I get free time that would be stellar.

Sarix

Smash Ace
It's 55 pages, but it's formatted into sections for a collapsible guide. I'll PM you doc right now.

Edit: Just sent it, sorry for it being a wall of text.

Zanx8

Smash Journeyman
55 pages is so much to read about one character, but I need to stop being lazy now.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
what makes usmash nice is its ability to hit people out of spot dodge. from charge it comes out the first frame after release, so its good for catching some of the pesky spot dodgers as long as they are tall enough

Zanx8

Smash Journeyman
I'll try to put it to good use, I'm sure you have been doing so as well. And I'm sure other Samus mains will as well. =P

Sarix

Smash Ace
One thing I tried to emphasize is that Samus actually has decent mobility and it should be taken advantage of, I don't see how people think she's slow.

Sarix

Smash Ace
I am finding her Uthrow really useful for lighter characters though. Even though it doesn't really have much in terms of followups the tiny cooldown is really nice.

Edit: Just out of curiosity have you gotten a chance to read my ridiculous Samus thesis?

Zanx8

Smash Journeyman
Up throw definitely is good, I use it so I get some time to charge the charge shot. Or just to put myself in a good position.

Sarix

Smash Ace
Sounds interesting.... :awesome:
57 pages isn't exactly a light read on a game character.

@Zanx: Yeah Uthrow puts opponents in one of Samus's two favorite zones and it's actually her best killing throw (not until like 250% though). Lately I've been trying to improve my grab game with Samus by learning Pivot Wave Grabbing so it's a safer option.

Zanx8

Smash Journeyman
57 means that character could be too good. ;) And I'm not surprised it kills so late. ._.
I like her throws.

Sarix

Smash Ace
They are very nice, I'm actually testing a potentially nasty string with her QDA. I'll post a vid and data if I find anything super useful about it.

Sarix

Smash Ace
Once I get the vid loaded on my youtube we can discuss it with the info I've gotten from testing.

Edit:
Samus QDA String

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N1xHMN5Qt0&feature=plcp

I flubbed it a bit in the vid but I figure the basic idea was still shown.

By utilizing the low knockback and speed of Samus’s dash attack, she can buffer consecutive quick dash attacks to form a potentially locking string on opponents depending on how heavy or fast they fall. The input is a little tricky but thankfully since it relies on dash attack staling, it can be performed at later percents. However it should be timed well otherwise you’ll likely get shield grabbed.

Dash Attack Frame Data:

Start-up: 1-7 (7) Hit: (Sweet) 8-10 (3), (Sour) 11-16 (6) Cooldown: 19-37 (19) Duration: 37
Shield Stun: 2-3 Shield Advantage: (Sweet) -28 to -26 (Sour) -26 to - 21 FAF: 38

Input: Press forward on the control stick then quickly press the C-stick down for a quick dash attack. As the animation plays buffer another one in the opposite direction, then rinse and repeat to string multiple QDAs together.

Difficulty: Moderate – Difficult

It will take some practice as even in the video I haven’t gotten it fully down yet and accidentally Dsmashed a few times.

Here is the list of characters I tested it on for now in normal brawl mode without any DI from the other player, just normal physics.

:bowser2: 127% (23 hits)
:falcon: 108% (19 hits)
:charizard: 108% (19 hits)
:diddy: 104% (18 hits)
:dk2: 108% (19 hits)
:falco: 99% (17 hits)
:fox: 95% (16 hits)
:ganondorf: 108% (19 hits)
:dedede: 122% (22 hits)
:lucario: 90% (15 hits)
:luigi2: 90% (15 hits)
:marth: 99% (17 hits)
:metaknight: 90% (15 hits)
:olimar: 85% (14 hits)
:pit: 108% (19 hits)
:peach: 76% (12 hits)
:rob: 99% (17 hits)
:shiek: 95% (16 hits)
:snake: 113% (20 hits)
:toonlink: 76% (12 hits)
:wario: 108% (19 hits)
:wolf: 113% (20 hits)
:zerosuitsamus: 85% (14 hits)

If I'm totally wrong about this feel free to bite my head off.

Zanx8

Smash Journeyman
Wow, this actually seems pretty cool and helpful. Even if you could DI out of this it just leads into more hits. :) I'd kill to see someone do this on a stream too. xD How should we end this dash attack string? With a down smash?

Sarix

Smash Ace
I've ended the string with Dsmash, Fair, Nair, Uair myself.

Edit: It also works on Pikachu to about 95% before he's knocked to high. I feel this may help quite a bit in improving Samus's ground game and some of her MUs.

Zanx8

Smash Journeyman
It'll be helpful, if you don't get shield grabbed by Dedede and go through hell if it doesn't land. ;_; It could be good for some MUs for sure, the problem is how will a dash attack be landed? xD It isn't too good of a move... At least I'll know what to do when I'm bored now.

Sarix

Smash Ace
It's a decent ground option, it comes out pretty quickly (frame 8) I've used it in and to start combos. Usually I use dash attack after I've shot some missiles so while they're shielding I can run in and tackle them as an approach. You can also jab-cancel into it. Its biggest weakness is its range which is below average.

Sarix

Smash Ace
It typically works best in mix-ups since it comes out pretty quickly.

Edit: I also just added another section to my Samus thesis/guide on how to make the best of grabs. :)

Sarix

Smash Ace
On another note I'm also going to revise my info on the Dash Attack String. I found a more effective way to pull it off and the numbers I feel are more believable for a string.

DtJ Composer

The Heroine Appears
BRoomer
Ok guys!
To keep you guys updated, I'm currently at the airport waiting for my flight to Las Vegas for EVO.
But I'm gonna bunker down when I get back and get that stuff done.
Also I'll probably read this Samus thesis while I'm on the plane haha

Sarix

Smash Ace
So yeah I was just practicing in training mode vs Sonic to do some playing to learn and I don't know how it's a -2 for us. The range and speed of our Fair alone cuts through a lot of his options and combos him pretty decently. Yes he is better on the ground and his spin dash is annoying but otherwise I could wall his options with Fair and Bair.

Zanx8

Smash Journeyman
I play Sonic offline here and there and online and he's just better than me but I know it's in his favor at least. :I

Sarix

Smash Ace
I personally feel it's similar to how Peach handles Sonic in that you have to be fast as well if you want to win. I have a friend who plays Sonic decently and I have no trouble dealing with him while playing defensively since as I said her Fair can wall out a lot of his options and he doesn't have any good answers for Uair combos (but few do). I personally feel it's kinda even given neither really overwhelms the other at close range if you don't let them.

Zanx8

Smash Journeyman
Hmm, you should seriously upload videos of MUs because I'm interested to see. xD

Sarix

Smash Ace
I plan to upload some for the ZSS MU. I'm still working on the Sonic MU but it may be awhile because my recording guy is gonna be out for this week from wisdom teeth removal, sadly :(.

Edit: Despite what I've learned about Samus I'm probably not as impressive with her as what you can do since you're an honorable mention for RI's PR.

Top Bottom