• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Revival Of Melee:MARCH 7TH! POOLS ARE UP EVERYONE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prince Of Fire

Smash Lord
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=7112063&
Wait, its only going to be TOP TWO for pools?

Wow; in the words of DJ Nintendo, "Quit Life."

That's ******** guys....I'm sorry. I could understand top two if it was like only Maine, CT, and like NY here or if this was another weekly...but this is a big tournament with people traveling from Canada, Maine, CT, NY, New Jeresy, Philadelphia, and other places on the West Coast. If there names are not DaShizWiz or MaNg0....or you aren't a top player....you don't have a prayer of progressing because obviously...

Scar
Cactuar
Mewtwoking
PC Chris
Pakman
Chu Dat
Azen
Chillin
MaNg0
Da Shiz Wiz
Eggm
Raynex
Drephen

Are all not going to be in the same pool. There is 13 pools with only one person left to make it. Dumb.

Eggm

Smash Hero

That's ******** guys....I'm sorry. I could understand top two if it was like only Maine, CT, and like NY here or if this was another weekly...but this is a big tournament with people traveling from Canada, Maine, CT, NY, New Jeresy, Philadelphia, and other places on the West Coast. If there names are not DaShizWiz or MaNg0....or you aren't a top player....you don't have a prayer of progressing because obviously...

Scar
Cactuar
Mewtwoking
PC Chris
Pakman
Chu Dat
Azen
Chillin
MaNg0
Da Shiz Wiz
Eggm
Raynex
Drephen

Are all not going to be in the same pool. There is 13 pools with only one person left to make it. Dumb.
To add to your list where only # 2 makes it... Cactuar, korean DJ, HBK. And probably more i'm forgetting about.

Sanu

Smash Champion

Scar
Cactuar
Mewtwoking
PC Chris
Pakman
Chu Dat
Azen
Chillin
MaNg0
Da Shiz Wiz
Eggm
Raynex
Drephen

This. I didn't mention it earlier, but a lot of people are now traveling to a tournament with a near 100% chance to not making it out of pools. Then what do we do? Friendly? Like that's going to happen, lolol. Sounds like a waste of a 9 hour drive to me.

Eggm

Smash Hero
This. I didn't mention it earlier, but a lot of people are now traveling to a tournament with a near 100% chance to not making it out of pools. Then what do we do? Friendly? Like that's going to happen, lolol. Sounds like a waste of a 9 hour drive to me.
Bad attitude

PoF just try your hardest.

I know I'm going to.
Good attitude.

I bet m2k before he was really good didn't go into tournaments thinking about the stuff at the top. He probably didn't' even care enough to research what pools were or anything. Just practiced mad hard and went in it to win. And look @ him now. I was a scrub at NCT2 but I still thought I was gonna go try hard and make it out of pools and almost did.

If you wanna improve you go. And like jfox said if more people made it out there would be more people in each pool you'd have to beat. With 50 setups you will get to play friendlies and day 2 is gonna rock. You have no idea how chillax and awesome fun our friendlies/crews are. :)

Edit : And I drove 11 hours to get there. Also.. do mm's. :) Thats a fun way to use your time.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Top 2 is pretty ********. Imagine if your pool has Mango and Raynex in it. Guess the other 6 players have 0% of making it out lol. Is it really too much to make it top 3 instead? The amount of talent coming to this is like none I have ever seen, there is a disgustingly overwhelming chance that every pool will have two players who are 100% going to beat everyone else out of pools. Where's the fun in that? At least top 3 would be amazing because it'd be a battle between those last 6 less skilled players to get the 3rd seed. Now THAT would be awesome, since you'd already know who the first and second seed would be, and it'd be a massive test of skill to see who gets third.

Aesir

Smash Master
All this means is if you make it out of pools you're ****ing hardcore extreme TO THE MAX.

Dude guys, 170 people are going to this shindig, top 4 is unreasonable especially if we wan't to do crews which imo are better then singles.

Personally I think they could have done top 3 but hey I'm not the TO. Besides isn't Alucard running this? when has he ever run a bad tourney?

TL;DR Suck my **** ****wads.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
Raynex was playing really badly at a recent tournament and I was doing pretty good and almost beat him in tourny set, even if he WAS sandbagging I technically got one match off and if I really really had a good break it's possible I could've beat him the last match.

Nothings unachievable... especially since it's pools... just go for that second match counterpick against the good players just do something crazy and you might win it.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to

Scar
Cactuar
Mewtwoking
PC Chris
Pakman
Chu Dat
Azen
Chillin
MaNg0
Da Shiz Wiz
Eggm
Raynex
Drephen

your lists are seriously the stupidest things I've ever seen, PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T POST A LIST EVER.

As everyone's saying, this doesn't change the actual percentage of people making it into brackets. Either way we are cutting however many people enter down to 64, whether it's 4 people/pool out of 16 pools or 2 people/pool out of 32 pools. The difference is that with 32 pools, each pool has half as many people, which makes it run much faster, which is necessary due to the time constraints. The only advantage of fewer pools is that if someone is improperly seeded, it's less likely to screw someone over, but given the time constraint, this is not a plausible option.

For an idea of the time reduction, let's say that exactly 160 people show up. That would be either 16 pools of 10, or 32 pools of 5. A pool of 10 takes 45 matches to complete. A pool of 5 takes 10 matches to complete.

32 pools x 10 matches/pool = 320 matches for pools
16 pools x 45 matches/pool = 720 matches for pools

When time is an issue, you have to accept that chance that an assumed seeding is wrong and someone gets screwed rather than MORE THAN DOUBLING THE TIME for pools.

Eggm

Smash Hero
Top 2 is pretty ********. Imagine if your pool has Mango and Raynex in it. Guess the other 6 players have 0% of making it out lol. Is it really too much to make it top 3 instead? The amount of talent coming to this is like none I have ever seen, there is a disgustingly overwhelming chance that every pool will have two players who are 100% going to beat everyone else out of pools. Where's the fun in that? At least top 3 would be amazing because it'd be a battle between those last 6 less skilled players to get the 3rd seed. Now THAT would be awesome, since you'd already know who the first and second seed would be, and it'd be a massive test of skill to see who gets third.
Not as ******** as the pound 3 r3 pools and some of the r2 pools lmao.

And they were top 4.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
Guess what guys.... there are 32 well seeded pools. The reason there was pre-registration is so Raynex and M2K aren't in the same pool. Scar is a relentless perfectionist. These pools will be good.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
Top 2 is pretty ********. Imagine if your pool has Mango and Raynex in it.
Pools are seeded on assumed skill level. Since people seem to think those 2 guys are pretty good, they won't be in the same pool.

Guess the other 6 players have 0% of making it out lol.
No, just beat Mag0 and/or Raynex.

Is it really too much to make it top 3 instead?
Yes, since that adds a whole bunch of time to the bracket by making it 96 man rather than 64 man. Powers of 2 make things run smoothly and should be stuck to.

The amount of talent coming to this is like none I have ever seen, there is a disgustingly overwhelming chance that every pool will have two players who are 100% going to beat everyone else out of pools. Where's the fun in that? At least top 3 would be amazing because it'd be a battle between those last 6 less skilled players to get the 3rd seed. Now THAT would be awesome, since you'd already know who the first and second seed would be, and it'd be a massive test of skill to see who gets third.
I can guarantee people wouldn't be *****ing if it were 16 pool and 4 people made it out of each pool, but the only difference is in perceived difficulty, the actual difficulty is not affected assuming there is good seeding for the pools. If someone can immediately rattle off to me more than 32 auto-first places in pools, I'll gladly retract my statements and say that that's unfair since the pool that inevitibly has 2 auto-firsts will be a death sentence.

Leacero

Smash Lord
It's true. The players you're worried about will still be there in the same concentration in 32 pools as in 16 pools. Let's say that for each of the 32 pools, there's one person who is guaranteed first and that you have to work hard for the 2nd spot. Based on concentration, in 16 pools there will be two people who are guaranteed the top two spots, and two other people who you have to play hard against for 3rd or 4th.

It was a little confusing, but what everyone is saying is that it's still the same ratio. Your chances of getting into the bracket really isn't changed too much at all, just the time needed to complete them.

Heart Break Kid

Smash Lord
I mean 2 really good players proabbly arent going to be in the same pool. Like mogwai pointed out there's gonna be 32 pools most likely with like 5 or 6 people. I think the 2nd seed will be up for grabs in most pools.

But someone might get an unfortunate pool...like M2K and uhh Reno. But then just think Reno has lost to Link twice and Roy. He's definitly beatable

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
I will make your :colorful: turn into

................:colorful: :colorful: :colorful: :colorful: :colorful:
..........:colorful:............................ :colorful:
.....:colorful:.................................... :colorful:
....:colorful:.........:colorful:............ :colorful: ........:colorful:
....:colorful:........................................:colorful:
....:colorful:.............:colorful: :colorful: :colorful:.............:colorful:
....:colorful:........:colorful:................ :colorful:.......:colorful:
.....:colorful:.................................... :colorful:
..........:colorful:............................ :colorful:
................:colorful: :colorful: :colorful: :colorful: :colorful:

when I knee you

Heart Break Kid

Smash Lord
Yea but thats your problem. You chose a high tier. Your better off going young link on him rather than Marth. Just choose a low tier and the matchup switches in your favor.

Lol its all <3 Im teaming with the guy anyway.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
My set with Reno in tourny was close and awesome. His Sheik is definitely amazing. Keep in mind that it was Skler's Link he lost to, and he might be the scariest low tier I've ever played.

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
Yea but thats your problem. You chose a high tier. Your better off going young link on him rather than Marth. Just choose a low tier and the matchup switches in your favor.

Lol its all <3 Im teaming with the guy anyway.
hbk, are you and reno at hofstra?

Heart Break Kid

Smash Lord
Yea my sets with Reno are usually one sided. Unless I feel bad, then Ill go Marth <3 reno. And prog im not there now, I might be up there tomorrow depending on whhat gmoneys plans are

swift lets play at this

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
Yea my sets with Reno are usually one sided. Unless I feel bad, then Ill go Marth <3 reno. And prog im not there now, I might be up there tomorrow depending on whhat gmoneys plans are

swift lets play at this
sure I havent played friendlies with you in awhile. Last time played you was in bracket somewhere =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom