• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The real reason Japan is better than America

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
So Him losing to ocean is cause he was not use to the match up. when he has played ROB before.

So I guess when brood whooped him at apex it was cause he was not use to olimar when he has beating the top olimars before?

DEHF beat him at apex 2010 when M2K has beaten him many times and knows falco. Match up enexperience too?

Or maybe losing to razer at pound 5 when he has played ally alot and knows the sname match up for the wins?

Homestly how long are people gonna defend this dude?

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
A tournament stage-list should not have a gigantic impact on how you choose to spend your time practicing.
I haven't seen anyone else directly address this, so I am going to ask: Why?

Ankoku, isn't it to be expected that people will invest their marbles into something they're more likely to encounter?

Sure, in the case of inexperience and things like that, it's still the player's fault for not knowing, but there is more emphasis on the occurrences that are more frequent than others. Should I not spend my time practicing on the skills this community wants to endorse instead as opposed to improve elsewhere?

:093:

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
Drk Peach. The main part of your posts i disagree with is when you say "usa has just as much exp as japan on neutrals"

That's 100% false.

Let's ASSUME that what people have said in this thread is true, that we play on neutrals roughly 80% of the time, inside and out of tourniment.

If you just LOOK at the japan stages, it can be concluded that they play on the neutrals anywhere from 90-95% of the time.

This is simple MATH. I also understand that the % isn't a huge difference. No, it's not like looking at 50% as apposed to 90%. But we didn't exactly get "bodied". Most of the sets USA lost were pretty close as people stated. But that 10-15% advantage the japanese had on the neutrals was apparently enough to win the 1st and 3rd matches, should they have lost on the USA CP/gimmick strat (m2k ocean game 2).

And to address the reason japan would sometimes win on our CP's, is also linked to that 10-15% increased playing on neutrals. Thats out of 500 games of just practice, they would play anywhere from 50-75 more games on stages without any kind of outside interference. As people in this thread have stated, it's alot easier to adapt to one gimmicky strat and defeat it, then it is to learn basics/fundementals and have something ELSE to fall back onto after the gimmick fails. In this case, the japense had the former situation most of the time, and USA had the latter.

This results directly in higher chances for the Japanese to come out victorious.

Yes i do understand that we do have to improve our mindset from playing to win, to playing to learn. But isn't getting rid of stage hazards a part of that? If we truly as a country no long want to "play to win" then why should we care about balancing the stage list so IC's don't have stronger advantages? or diddy ect... Having to deal with them at their strongest is going to make us that much better at the basics required to avoid getting grabbed vs EVERYONE else that much better.

TLDR: Limitting the stagelist will have a more direct impact on us to learn, so if you can agree that we need to change our mindset and "play to learn" rather than "play to win", there's just no reason left NOT to change the stage list to do so.

Steam

Smash Hero
You can get put into spots where Nair is reasonable to hit with, but that's usually after ROB knocks MK upwards. If MK knocks ROB upwards himself like shuttle loop or grab or whatever, and ROB Nairs as he falls since that's the best move to cover him, that's a "please don't get hit by Nair" moment.
And that's exactly how he lost his last stock that set :L

M2k sux

:phone:

Doc King

Smash Lord
I'm gonna post my opinion on this topic.

I think Japan is better than America mainly because they go beyond and expand the metagame. America relies a whole lot on just running away from your fears, which doesn't make you better. America, I think seems to be very lazy. They don't expand or adapt to AT's sometimes and just run away. I mean, once ppl learn how to punish running away, you won't be able to do anything. Japan actually adapts to a lot of stuff and they don't run away.

A proof how ppl don't go beyond is how when it comes to certain AT's made, ppl don't bother to adapt from it and just prefer to run away.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I don't know that mimicking Japan's ruleset would change anything, but it might. I think what'd be more important is adapting to their playstyle, but that's tough considering how far away they are.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Midwest: Super liberal in some areas, more "central" in others
Yea our stage lists have been pretty liberal but I would say that a number of us HATED it. I would love a Japanese ruleset. Especially for the time limit increase.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
It's called "Playing to Learn."
Play to learn in practice, not tournament. If you want to spend money and put your bracket presence on the line with experimentation, that's up to you, but it's ultimately not what the tournament is about.

I haven't seen anyone else directly address this, so I am going to ask: Why?

Ankoku, isn't it to be expected that people will invest their marbles into something they're more likely to encounter?

Sure, in the case of inexperience and things like that, it's still the player's fault for not knowing, but there is more emphasis on the occurrences that are more frequent than others. Should I not spend my time practicing on the skills this community wants to endorse instead as opposed to improve elsewhere?

:093:
What exactly are you talking about? Regardless of how many stages are used or not, every community plays on stocks, and so above all else the emphasis is on taking more stocks than the opponent. People might choose to do so through practicing on a bunch of stages, but it's still their decision to both practice and to do so on said stages. Realistically, I don't often see people practice specifically on counterpick stages, even now. The issue is more than likely not due to practicing on too many stages, but rather simply not practicing enough.

ManicRaider

Smash Cadet
I'm gonna post my opinion on this topic.

I think Japan is better than America mainly because they go beyond and expand the metagame. America relies a whole lot on just running away from your fears, which doesn't make you better. America, I think seems to be very lazy. They don't expand or adapt to AT's sometimes and just run away. I mean, once ppl learn how to punish running away, you won't be able to do anything. Japan actually adapts to a lot of stuff and they don't run away.

A proof how ppl don't go beyond is how when it comes to certain AT's made, ppl don't bother to adapt from it and just prefer to run away.
Could you be more technical and less sensei-like? What are these fears/things that we are "running away from"? Also I don't think it's fair to say that Americans are lazy. Just look at this site. So many people practicing, learning and discussing the game as though it's some advanced engineering. I would not call anyone here (unless they expressly said so) lazy.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Sucumbio, you're right. There is little we can do. Which is why I find it so important to do what we CAN do.
I agree, but part of the dilemma is staleness. Even if we reduced our stage list to those 3, we're still only brawling each other. And iirc isn't mid-atlantic like, pro on those 3? Moreso, than say, mid-west? I guess what I'm getting at is that without actually studying their playstyle and incorporating it into our own, no amount of emulation can really hope to work.

I don't know how much research has been done on japan's brawls... watching them, etc. Or how much time the top players at APEX this year spent watching their opponents before they met face to face. But for instance, in world championship sports, teams will spend tons of hours just watching recordings of their opponents, and developing strategies based on what they see.

We could at least start to compile a comprehensive list of what play style elements we know of that are unique to Japan, and learn ways to exploit them.

For instance, watching the replays of APEX, one will note how precise Japan's players brawl. Rarely if ever do they miss a punishment. And in some instances what may have been assumed to be un-punishable as it turns out, can be, if not immediately, within a few moves based on choice decisions. This type of analysis is common to world championship strategy, and I think there's a place for it here in the US smash scene.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Is this was those Johns I keep hearing about are?
lol I thought that at first too, but he has a point. We got out-brawled, no doubt, and we have ourselves to blame - to a point - but in all fairness, their playstyle HAS developed based on a strict conference of THREE stages. We've invested A LOT of time practicing on other stages (RC? FRIGATE? etc...) what used to be called "the gay stages" I mean... it's not a john. We may have given up precious mental resource and I agree we need to focus. I just don't think it'll work by suddenly changing to their stage preferences. We have to adapt - not copy.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Drk Peach. The main part of your posts i disagree with is when you say "usa has just as much exp as japan on neutrals"

That's 100% false.

Let's ASSUME that what people have said in this thread is true, that we play on neutrals roughly 80% of the time, inside and out of tourniment.

If you just LOOK at the japan stages, it can be concluded that they play on the neutrals anywhere from 90-95% of the time.

This is simple MATH. I also understand that the % isn't a huge difference. No, it's not like looking at 50% as apposed to 90%. But we didn't exactly get "bodied". Most of the sets USA lost were pretty close as people stated. But that 10-15% advantage the japanese had on the neutrals was apparently enough to win the 1st and 3rd matches, should they have lost on the USA CP/gimmick strat (m2k ocean game 2).

And to address the reason japan would sometimes win on our CP's, is also linked to that 10-15% increased playing on neutrals. Thats out of 500 games of just practice, they would play anywhere from 50-75 more games on stages without any kind of outside interference. As people in this thread have stated, it's alot easier to adapt to one gimmicky strat and defeat it, then it is to learn basics/fundementals and have something ELSE to fall back onto after the gimmick fails. In this case, the japense had the former situation most of the time, and USA had the latter.

This results directly in higher chances for the Japanese to come out victorious.

Yes i do understand that we do have to improve our mindset from playing to win, to playing to learn. But isn't getting rid of stage hazards a part of that? If we truly as a country no long want to "play to win" then why should we care about balancing the stage list so IC's don't have stronger advantages? or diddy ect... Having to deal with them at their strongest is going to make us that much better at the basics required to avoid getting grabbed vs EVERYONE else that much better.

TLDR: Limitting the stagelist will have a more direct impact on us to learn, so if you can agree that we need to change our mindset and "play to learn" rather than "play to win", there's just no reason left NOT to change the stage list to do so.
Ok, so if we were to go by what you say, japan has more experience on starters and we lose. it was the same way on our turf and we lose. And your reason for that is cause of starters? Playing on a starter and a counter are 2 different things. You have to play different. You can't really play on a started the same way on a starter.

Good example would be brinstar with Peach. On a starter like FD/SV/BF, I can use my ground float pressure game to take control of a corent match up I am in. My ground spacing is at its best. Now If I am on a stage such as brinstar or frigate, I can't not do that so often or at all. I can't even ground float OoS to an air attack. for quick punishes. I have to fight a complete different way. Which could change my chances of winning the match up.

What you say would be legit if you could actually right the same way as you could on starters. but you can't. Changeing the stage list to you would make an impact for you to learn you say eh? Why does it take stages to convince you to learn to get better ingeneral? Should that not be a giving to begin with? Not limiting yourself. Exploring all options? USA stop learning. Thats on them, not stages. They limit their options. They had all the reason and time within these years to step up. And choose not too. Thats not japans fault or the stage. It's your own fault.

You are not a child. You know what you have to do. You don't need someone or something to tell you you must do this or that. if this is suppose to be some way to force yourself to get better, it's a weak one. You can not blame stages for ones mentality and greed. it's all about self control.

I refuse to have action of someone be blamed on something else be legit. I lost a hard match up? Am I gonna blame me losing cause my character loses? No, cause I know damm well I could win. And I screwed up in it. But whos fault is that? it's my fault? Same thing happens with match ups I win. Im not gonna sit here and make excuses for why I lost to make myself feel good. You don't learn **** from that. Just become more fool of yourself and fill up that foolish pride that holds players back.

The option to get better was always there. it never left. USA just never took the time to take it cause they thought they were hawt stuff. Now they get whipped and can't admit their mistakes from the start. Have to blame it on the stage. Why not learn for your own mistakes. Why try to be like the japan. Why not be versitale? Why not go ten times harder then the japanese. Push yourself further. And most important, learn self control.

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
lol I thought that at first too, but he has a point. We got out-brawled, no doubt, and we have ourselves to blame - to a point - but in all fairness, their playstyle HAS developed based on a strict conference of THREE stages. We've invested A LOT of time practicing on other stages (RC? FRIGATE? etc...) what used to be called "the gay stages" I mean... it's not a john. We may have given up precious mental resource and I agree we need to focus. I just don't think it'll work by suddenly changing to their stage preferences. We have to adapt - not copy.
I agree. I just had to get my little laugh in. OH NO SOMEONE BEAT US!? MUST BE EVERYTHING BUT US! QUICK LOOK FOR REASONS TO EXPLAIN OUR SUCK.

:p

Lol. But yes, I don't think changing the basic stage layout is going to magically make us all more focused. It may certainly help us if we were to practice on neutral stages, but that sounds like a very far-fetched solution to just say that playing on only three stages will make us so much better.

Seibrik, I have a question.

Let's say hypothetically, the stage list changes to just 3 stages like you want. What's your plan on getting just as good as the Japanese from there? You say you want to focus on character vs. character combat, but do you have any idea how you're going to do that from a 3 stage focus?

The Ben

Smash Journeyman
Better yet, why don't you practice on that while at home and bring what you learn to tournaments to wreck everyone who relies on gimmicks?

Ruuku

Smash Lord
I hardly see how only playing on less stages will change people's opinion of what it takes to win. Especially since the motivation seems to be that Japanese players took the highest spots at a single tournament. So what will happen if in the next biggest event American players take the money? I'm not going to generalize American players since I know that a number don't think that way, but does the majority of you really favor playing to win the next tournament over playing to improve as a player and arguably as person (which is likely result in winning more)?

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Better yet, why don't you practice on that while at home and bring what you learn to tournaments to wreck everyone who relies on gimmicks?
Pretty much this. I mean what do people use smashfest for these days? To show off? Thats a time that should be used to practice many aspects of the game.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
Isnt learning other stages and counterpicking an important strat in the game? it's something one must learn to do to have options and pull off tuff match up wins. Been this was since melee. So people are blaming an important tactic in smash as the reason they lost?
Yeah, it's an important strat because we make it important. I'm not saying in our metagame it's not important to learn RC and Brinstar, it definitely is. But it makes total sense that in a metagame where no one has to learn RC and Brinstar, when they come to play against a community that usually has those on and has to play on them to win, it's only natural that the community without the stages would be better overall.

It's not an excuse lol, Japan is better than us (and I've been saying it for a long time, but that doesn't really matter). Stating a contributing factor in why they're better than us isn't a john, or saying that we should've won.

- USA are just as use to starters as the japanese, it is the first stage we start on. And half the time the last stage we finish in a set.
Would you say that someone who plays Ice Climbers in atleast 66% of their matches would be as practiced as someone who plays ICs in 100% of their matches?

News flash, you been had that option. You just choose not to give a damm cause you just focuos at getting the win at all cost. You took the easy road out. There was no excuse to actually explore other possibilities and take your game to another level. You cause have learned to be more versitale and still you your counter stages and do some serious damage with what you learned/discovered.
I agree with all of this, too.

It's definitely not just ONE thing, though. Very rarely is there anything where there's just ONE reason for why an event occurred.

We were outplayed by Japan for a variety of reasons, and I would definitely say our strong focus on gimmicky stages, rather than on innovation and stronger basics, has held us back.

What I was saying in that post is kinda simple.

Say we have 10 potential stages (this is purely hypothetical). We have 50 practice/skill points (let's just say it's like an RPG for a moment). There are 7 stages that are gimmicky, and the strongest skills for those stages are skills that barely apply anywhere else, if at all. And then there are 3 stages, where the skills on them almost entirely apply everywhere else.

For every point we put into one of those 7 stages, we get 0.25 points put in the rest of the stages. And for every point we put into one of the 3 stages, we get 0.5 points in the other 7 stages.

So say that there's one community, where it has those 7 stages banned, so with the 3 that are legal, everyone puts all of their points into those 3. It makes them all around strong, but not nearly as specialized in those other stages as they could be. If they were to play on one of the harder stages, they might do really badly.

Then there's this other community, that has all of those stages, and a lot of importance is put on 1 or 2 of the 7 stages (and less, but still some, on the other 5 of those 7). Most of the points will go into the 3, more overall stages, but of course you have to put some into the really dangerous of the 7 stages, that way you don't get completely overwhelmed by someone who uses those stages really strongly as gimmicks. Basically to lower your chance of losing to random chance.

If there's any incentive to play on those other 7 stages, where the skills you get there apply less overall than the skills you gain from the first 3, it's only natural that people who ONLY play on the first 3 will have a stronger average spread, but not as much of a specialized one. And when the benefits from that specialization are removed from play, then they have points wasted, and less ability put into the stages that apply everywhere.

Of course this is kind of a ridiculous analogy, skill points aren't at all how it works, but is it really that ridiculous of a concept? That if you play on a stage where what you learn applies everywhere, you'll get better overall than if you played on 5 stages, where a large amount of the important skills you learn only apply to the stage they're learned on?

But choose not to, cause you relyed on cheap tatics to win and thought that is all you needed. Then when it all fails, you blame it on something as silly as stages. Take responsibility for your actions. Quit making excuses. Thats all the USA does. It never gets old.
This is true, too. It's not blaming it on the stages in that way. Relying on cheap tactics is I'm sure a major contributor. And a major contributor in cheap tactics being important in OUR community is our stagelist.

We didn't lose because we played on stages that they're better than us on, or we got gay'd or anything, we lost because we were outplayed, and one of the reasons we were outplayed is because we've relied on those cheap/gay/what-have-you tactics, and those tactics were largely relied on because there's a lot of emphasis put on them in our community/metagame. When that emphasis is removed it would make perfect sense that we'd do worse.

Not to say we would've won with RC or Brinstar legal, the emphasis on those stages being gone isn't THAT big of a factor anyways. But our lack of skill overall, partly due to focusing on those gimmicky stages maybe too much is probably a factor in why we were outplayed.

I agree whole-heartedly that players in general have a tendency to focus too much on playing gay/taking the easy way out/using cheap tactics/etc, but that's definitely not the ONLY factor at hand, and to address JUST it probably wouldn't help at all.

EDIT: Oh I had a whole page I missed out on. I agree with Seibrik's post completely

Steam

Smash Hero
You are just silly if you think the most important things to learn on the not big 3 are gimmicks that only apply to said stage. Rc/brinstar are debatable but even on those stages it's not a completely different game. You guys should stop blaming stages and practice more if you want to beat the Japanese. Actually LEARN the namer lock and when to apply it, actually learn the footstool>jab lock combos... I seriously have never seen a mk even attempt them though it has plenty of setups...

Playing on cp stages forces you to adapt to the environment, and to adapt to unexpected circumstances... Which is an important skill to have in general.

PMC66

Smash Journeyman
So Him losing to ocean is cause he was not use to the match up. when he has played ROB before.

So I guess when brood whooped him at apex it was cause he was not use to olimar when he has beating the top olimars before?

DEHF beat him at apex 2010 when M2K has beaten him many times and knows falco. Match up enexperience too?

Or maybe losing to razer at pound 5 when he has played ally alot and knows the sname match up for the wins?

Homestly how long are people gonna defend this dude?
Well I don't particularly like the way he plays and I always root for someone else to beat him, but thing is Genesis 2 he went through the wole tournament without loosing a game other than To Ally as snake once (i might be wrong I apologise) I know Apex was way bigger and you know him not getting 1st fine but point is he got way lower than what anyone thought he would. Just because someone has played a matchup before doesn't mean that he knows it, I mean look at him fight Ocean he clearly had no idea what he was doing I was happy Ocean won but that last KO was so unbelieveably dumb and he got N-aired quite a few times in that match.

That and everyone has good days and bad days i don't think Japan are that much better than US overall I think SLS and 9B are the best players in the world but everywhere has its top level players. It's just alot of people are saying 'we rely too much on gimmicks and stuff and we such blah blah blah' well thing is the stages you play on don't make much of a difference to how good a player is it effects the outcome of a match but just because you play with more stages does not make you worse.

Besides it was Apex every Apex so far has had an upset result like Ally winning the first one Brood getting grand finals and now Otori won regardless of the fact Nietono always beats him usually. I don't think stages need to be changed though i am very pleased Brinstar is now banned I don't have much of a problem with people wanting to play on more stages besides 3 I think SV BF and FD can get very boring considering theres nothing wrong with Lylat cruise and Yoshi's or PS1 for that matter.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
You are just silly if you think the most important things to learn on the not big 3 are gimmicks that only apply to said stage.
My analogy might've given a bit of the wrong idea. I wouldn't say those 3 are the ONLY good stages, most of the legal stages are fine in this regard for the most part, imo.

I think Pokemon Stadium and Lylat are pretty fine in this aspect, same with Yoshi's. Frigate and Delfino are mostly okay, too, maybe a tad gimmicky but not bad at all. I think they're okay legal for the most part. RC and Brinstar, though? I challenge you to find anyone who could get good at the entire game by just playing on RC and Brinstar.

There are barely any opportunities to bait on either of those stages, most character's ground games are made useless the vast majority of the game if you're playing against a character with a better air game, who can just wait for the opportune moment. Playing on RC and Brinstar (and a lot of other banned stages) is very, very different from playing on the other legal stages. I mean, of course playing on Lylat is different from playing on BF, or on FD, but not NEARLY to the same extent.

Maybe a better analogy would be like 10 stages, 2 of which give you 0.10 skill points everywhere else for every point in it, and every point everywhere else gives you .5 in those 2 stages. But those 2 stages are made very important like 30% of the time.

You guys should stop blaming stages and practice more if you want to beat the Japanese.
ugh

I don't think anyone is JUST blaming stages. It's completely silly to say that. Everything I've seen, and everything I've said, agrees that we need to practice more.

Noticing a reason for why our practice isn't as good as it could be isn't BLAMING the stages for our loss, it's noting what we could do BETTER next time, and what we could improve on.

It's like when people get angry at Mango for "johning" about losing to Armada at Genesis, because he says he could've won if he played more patiently, but he was having trouble playing patiently. That's not a john at all. Saying "If I'd done this better, I could've won, but I was having trouble doing this, so I'll try and improve at that for next time" isn't a john, it's a statement of what you should improve at.

This isn't some excuse for why we lost. We lost because we were outplayed, most definitely. If we look at how the people better than us actually GOT better than us, and say "Oh maybe we might get better than we are if we analyze some of the reasons for why they got so good, and integrate it with our own methods!", that isn't suddenly not respecting that we were outplayed.

Having a contributing reason for why we were outplayed, and why they're better than us, and what we can do to improve can be very important, and it's not a john to do so.

Stop being so sensitive lol

Steam

Smash Hero
Maybe they're just more dedicated to the game? The Japanese really don't **** anything up.

I'm actually kind of annoyed at the idea that people want to get rid of half of the (already determined to be fair and competitive) stages so that we might get as good as the Japanese. There's no way to tell if you guys are even right on that assumption. Either way, if you think that will make you better, THEN PRACTICE ON THOSE STAGES AND CP PEOPLE TO THEM. Don't try to ban half the stages when they're perfectly fine to be legal.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
Maybe they're just more dedicated to the game? The Japanese really don't **** anything up.
This is probably a factor, too.

But it's fallacious to say that that'd be the ONLY reason that they're better than us. Black and white thinking never works out with the plethora of variables there are here.

I'm actually kind of annoyed at the idea that people want to get rid of half of the (already determined to be fair and competitive) stages
RC/Brinstar are half of the stages? And they're confirmed to be fair and competitive?

There's no way to tell if you guys are even right on that assumption.
Alright, then what evidence do you think it would take to show that we're right that stages like RC and Brinstar having a lot of emphasis within the metagame would cause a detrimental effect on our play on the other stages?

I mean, I haven't seen you respond to the concept of what I'm saying. That if you have a stage that applies everywhere and you practice on it a lot, you'll get better overall than you would if you had to practice a lot on a stage where the skills learn mostly only apply to that singular stage. It seems kind of intuitive, and inherently clear, but I guess since you haven't responded to it at all, I'll assume it doesn't seem so clear, and I'll try and ask you what evidence would be necessary.

What kind of physical evidence would I be required to give you to show that this concept plays SOME part (I'm not going to state how much effect it has on the results, but it seems entirely clear to me that it has some effect, to which the degree is unknown) in why they're better than us?

RC/Brinstar are half of the stages? And they're confirmed to be fair and competitive?
People are advocating that we eliminate all the stages except for FD, BF, and SV, not just Brinstar and Rainbow Cruise.

We have ~10 stages, and people want to bring it down to just 3. That's more than half.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
People are advocating that we eliminate all the stages except for FD, BF, and SV, not just Brinstar and Rainbow Cruise.

We have ~10 stages, and people want to bring it down to just 3. That's more than half.
i'm not advocating that, though. when people respond to me, i'd prefer they respond to ME, not to other people advocating things that i'm not.

i'm not "people", i'm theunabletable, the things i've said are not the things other people have said, and the things other people have said are not the things i've said. atleast not directly. if i've said something that's the same as what someone else has said, it doesn't mean that everything they've said applies to me, too.

not to say i have an issue with the japanese ruleset, either, but none of my posts in this thread advocate, or have an issue with the japanese ruleset (although i can see where someone would get the idea. the two posts i've read from seibrik (unless i read badly haha) have not advocated a literal copy of the japanese ruleset, and have mostly stated concepts and such that i agree with, and i've made that clear in my posts, but if he has indeed said anything advocating the literal japanese ruleset, my posts saying i agree with seibrik were not intended to agree, or disagree with that aspect. i'm entirely neutral on whether we should have the japanese ruleset or not). my posts have said what they've said, and responding to them as if they say more is just wasting my time lol

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
I'll be fine with having Halberd/Delfino/Ps1/Frigate when people explain to me how having stages that CAN directly interfer with the outcome of the match (change the pace of the match as well) can be taken as competative?

Yes i believe we should adapt to the terrain, but that's assuming the terrain is somewhat static, not changing dramatically every 30 seconds.

Steam

Smash Hero
I'll be fine with having Halberd/Delfino/Ps1/Frigate when people explain to me how having stages that CAN directly interfer with the outcome of the match (change the pace of the match as well) can be taken as competative?

Yes i believe we should adapt to the terrain, but that's assuming the terrain is somewhat static, not changing dramatically every 30 seconds.
Smashville has a constantly moving platform... And a balloon that spawns randomly.

And you can't adapt to terrain if it doesn't change... Looool.

And it's still competitive because this is smash brothers, not street fighter. Smash doesn't need static stages to be competitive. The stage changing is something inherent to smash... There are 3 static stages in the game iirc... Bf, fd, and temple... The stage list we have now is balanced and keeps random events at a minimum (and when random events occur, plenty of warning is given)

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Honestly i still think apex ruleset -frigate and/or halberd is best. And with ps2 added. Regardless of mk ban.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Why PS2? Isn't PS2 too game altering already? I mean, it affects gameplay more than halberd or FO.

The Ben

Smash Journeyman
Unban everything, turn items on, play a game that is actually fun. That'd be the best.

Life

Smash Hero
At 40ppp (/overlord) I decided tl;dr after about page 9, which isn't too bad as I've been gone since Wednesday.

Hey Tuen:

If stages are the reason Japan is better at Brawl, then how do you explain Japan being ridiculously good at everything else? (Case in point. Name a single American that's that good at anything comparable. BTW, Beatmania shuffles the note chart every time IIRC, so this isn't even muscle memory, this is pure skill.)

Japan's ability is a combination of the work ethic inherent in their culture and their population density. The former is an individual thing IMO (though if you have any ideas to improve the work ethic of Americans/Smash players, I'm all ears), while the latter... have more babies LOL

Also, here's another one. Let's say we adopt not only Japan's ruleset, but their mindset and levels of practice as well. Great, now America = Japan. Now how do we get better?

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Not really much movement in this thread.

One thing I'm noticing is I think why the Japanese metagame is stronger is because they are playing Brawl, not Melee. I was noticing in the match with Ocean that he was playing solid. He played patiently, took opportunities where he could and never got himself into a bad situation. But the play style here is super aggression. Here is what I mean.

US game, stolen from link in last guy's post
Ocean vs M2K, all three matches

Notice the difference in styles. The first one is super aggressive. Players trade hits constantly. Both leave themselves very open. But Ocean does not. In fact, he plays very safe. He plays smart. He didn't use any cool tricks. Heck, the last game was won by a basic air. People say "Well, M2K shouldn't have gotten him." But Ocean was just waiting for his opening. Same for match 1, where M2K leaves himself open by doing a tornado.

The difference is like Marvel and SF4. Brawl players now are trying to play a very fast game with lots of offense. This was how Melee was too. But Brawl is a slower game. It moves slower in general, has no wavedashing or landing lag cancel and, of course, tripping. But people still tried to play Melee. They tried to play the game fast which is why there was resentment (they only saw fast, and Brawl was slower). But Ocean played it like SF4. Heck, he was doing pokes. Every attack M2K made was for aggression and to try to hit the opponent. When Ocean attacks, it was sometimes to keep him off his back. He won by playing tight.

Maybe this is jumping ahead too much, but this also can explain why Meta-Knight is so dominate. Meta-Knight is the best character for playing fast. He attacks fast and has little to no cooldown or start up on his moves. He's great at doing that. But Ocean won by letting Meta-Knight come to him. He just found opening in Meta-Knights offense. This would be possible in the US since no one is being defensive or solid. They just try to be aggressive themselves and lose because Meta-Knight just does it better.

I'm not very knowledgeable on tournament Smash, but I can see that the Japanese are playing Brawl more like Brawl. They played it slower and safer. I think this is the big take away.

Hate to ask after this big post that should make me look smart, but does anyone have other videos of Japanese players from Apex?

The Ben

Smash Journeyman
Also, here's another one. Let's say we adopt not only Japan's ruleset, but their mindset and levels of practice as well. Great, now America = Japan. Now how do we get better?
Justin Wong gave a speech about this. Though it's 20 minutes long and he meanders a bit, he does do a decent job describing how to improve the mental state of yourself and your gaming community. If you want to step up your game it's worth giving the video a watch.

Top Bottom