• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The OMG FiZZ is back Stupendous "Critique my Lucario" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aurasmash14

Smash Lord
Actually, dont read my posts as if i was angry if typing them.. i wasnt.

I was merely pointing out that he needs to fight very competent players :D (although you could simply keep fighting each other until you BOTH improve, but that takes months)

I never flame someone who sucks simply because they are new. I only getz mad if they troll lol.

LucarioChris

Smash Cadet
It's alright, I know I'm a newb to real Brawling. The bad thing is, that is the best person I have to play against. I don't have Wi-fi, and I only know 6 people who play Brawl, and I'm the best of them. :ohwell: At least he doesn't use Kirby anymore.

Again, the bad thing is we only use the GC controllers.

And Aurasmash, your posts don't sound mad to me, it's exactly what I came here for, a compleatly honest oppinion of my skills from the people who know the game better then me.

F1ZZ

Smash Lord
It's alright, I know I'm a newb to real Brawling. The bad thing is, that is the best person I have to play against. I don't have Wi-fi, and I only know 6 people who play Brawl, and I'm the best of them. :ohwell: At least he doesn't use Kirby anymore.

And Aurasmash, your posts don't sound mad to me, it's exactly what I came here for, a compleatly honest oppinion of my skills from the people who know the game better then me.
Stick around these boards and you will learn alot. Next thing you know you will be 3 stocking your friends. :)

Max Ketchum

Collegiate Starleague Smash Director
This is not bad at all. <_< 99% of tournament players use the GameCube controller. The Wii controllers are awful and severely lack buttons (excluding the classic).

Back to teching GW's dthrow: Hit L/R on the fifth tick of the throw (it goes beep-BEEP-beep-BEEP-beep). If you play a GW in tourney, make sure the volume on the TV is up high enough. It's so easy to tech this **** move, but I seem to be the only one who knows such an easy/consistent way. :(

/spreads knowledge elsewhere

Max Ketchum

Ah, good to know that somebody on the WC is aware of what to do.

I originally just did it by when it looked like it was a good time to hit the shield button, but I started listening for it instead because the timing differs by the character's weight.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Oh yeah, speaking of sounds, if you play on the Japanese version of Brawl, Snake is scary because his C4 detonation sound is a lot quieter.

@LucarioChris: Hooo boy, all I can say is, welcome to the smash community, it takes some work to get better, but everyone's gotta start somewhere :\
-Reduce the amount of rolling you do, a good Kirby will bair you or grab you if you aren't careful, but it's overall a bad habit. Replace some of your rolling with more static alternative methods of movement, like walking, running, SH/jumping in general, all of these are good to learn the basics of, because any time you do a dodge movement, you trade freedom for a potential tactical gain, and doing it too often means you are committing to something a good opponent will abuse when you have to face cooldown, since dodges have a predictable movement pattern. basically, you'll learn to eventually use dodges as an option instead of a mainstay of your movement patterns.
-Use less Dash Attack. This move is a great punisher, but it's really punishable on shield, as in your opponent will thoroughly enjoy you doing this too often. Try using jab, tilts, or even SH aerials to approach. I would go into detail, but I'm sure the guides and videos around here will do a better job of explaining what is needed.
-Be waaaay less predictable: Waiting until AS is not something that would work on a better player, most would just jump then punish. You can use shield to cancel your charging animation and store your AS at the current state for later use. You had the same old punish method of dash grab or dash attack, not much changed, so I would recommend once again looking up stuff on these lucario boards and finding the basics, or better yet, watch some videos of good lucarios like D. Disciple, Zucco, Junebug, Lee Martin, etc. You'll notice how much they switch up on options and mixups, and use their tools properly when needed.
-Be aware of what stales and what doesn't: There's a mechanic in Brawl called staling, and basically it makes a move weaker the more you use it until you've weakened it to 10 or so. This makes it so that moves that kill are used more intelligently, so I would use moves that are meant to rack up damage or setup more often than fthrow or AS, which can be potential kill moves.
-Get better players to practice with. I hate to admit it, but many times your ability will only go as far as the resources available to you, which in this case practicing is no different. Your opponent clearly doesn't play this game with a good grasp of it, and I'd suggest that while you could still play with him, to get any sort of practice outside possible to step it up. Online (go to AiB and check out the online ladder system, it's a very good tool for getting matches for online play), tourneys, getting to know your better local players more, whatever it takes, get some help and let them know that you want to improve, most smashers really like it when new people are willing and won't usually turn down the new guy if it means they will stay and not get discouraged when they lose massively, but work hard to get better. Don't be afraid to talk to them and get to know when local events to practice/compete, when the next tourney is, or even advice. If your friend wants to, he could improve his Kirby too while he's with you to practice at these local things, just make sure you get practice with better people.
-Get a better understanding of your character and your own playstyle. Lucario is a weird character, but if he suits you, more power to you. Make sure you look up videos, guides, ask questions in the "quick question, quick answer" thread, and don't get discouraged, you have a loooong ways to go, so it'll be tough at first.

You basically need to get a better grasp of the game and just study more, it isn't merely one or two habits that need correction/a MU that needs working on, but I'm glad you posted your video here anyways instead of making a new thread (makes my job easier).

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Doom, I'm like the only one on the WC who knows what to do about G&W, and I've been trying to spread the knowledge xD I've beaten every G&W on the WC and most of the midwest too.

Pssst...smash DI through the bair, pop out the top and dair him to punish. ;)

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
Doom, I'm like the only one on the WC who knows what to do about G&W, and I've been trying to spread the knowledge xD I've beaten every G&W on the WC and most of the midwest too.

Pssst...smash DI through the bair, pop out the top and dair him to punish. ;)
this used to work for me all the time.

but now when I dair lucario goes psheeeeeeeeew away in the air and it only hits with the 1st hit and puts me in a ****ty position. [Rising dair for **** tier :<]

I am obviously doing something wrong.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Learn2SDInub.

Also, you can drop shield and jab in the middle of G&W's bair. Pity Lucario's jab isn't faster though. But it's still useful.

If you need visual indicators, watch the turtle. See, G&W's bair hits a certain number of times, and then becomes inactive until it touches the ground. Upon touching the ground, it releases a final hit. During the inactive period, ANYTHING will pass through it harmlessly; turnips, jabs, dash attacks, etc. For a visual indicator, the turtle becomes inactive when the head dips. At that point, you can drop shield and jab, or if he's close enough, grab him out of his bair. However, if you can memorize the timing so that you can buffer the shield drop out of shieldstun from the last hit, you'll do much better than watching the turtle head.

If you really feel like being crazy, you can drop shield when the bair goes inactive, and then powershield the last hit when the bair lands, and get a free whatever. :3

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
the problem isn't that I'm not SDIing its that I only hit with one part of my dair >< its a character thing I guess.

Thats some nice tipsies however.

much appreciated.

I should sleep,

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
Okay, so I've been using Lucario for a grand total of 2 days, and he's really really fun, and I want to get better with him, so I was wondering if you wonderful people would be so nice as to critique my vids =D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaD-ssVZjRY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17SwDuiXi84

So yeah...sucks that the Diddy one ended up with such bad quality o.O

Any critique is helpful, assume I know nothing about Lucario =P (I probably don't lol)

F1ZZ

Smash Lord
I only watched the first video against the Marth. Overall this is what you need to work on:

1. More AS charging. You almost never charged it and the AS is a great move that racks ups damage and kills.
2. More Fsmash. You need more Fsmash because it is a great spacing power and again kills.

For a 2 day Lucario you are great and you should stick around these boards, also never use DT (it is BAD). :)

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
I'm definitely going to try to stick around on the boards =)

Although on the Fsmash thing, it's an amazing move, but against someone who is in the air as frequently as Marth is, and as well as he can move in the air, I feel like I'm committing to too much when I fsmash. That said, would you mind giving me examples of situations where I could have used it?

DT means double team, silly me =)

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
Right, totally knew that (not really).

Seems like it could be good...if used VERY sparingly. Doesn't it have decent kill potential when you're at higher percents?

Max Ketchum

It's awful. Unless the move you counter is slow as ****, your opponent can shield DT before it hits them.

Browny

Smash Hater
One of these days, I should compile a list of every attack which is shieldable if it triggers a DT, including AC aerials of course. I'll bet it will only be in the order of 3-4 attacks per character.

F1ZZ

Smash Lord
One of these days, I should compile a list of every attack which is shieldable if it triggers a DT, including AC aerials of course. I'll bet it will only be in the order of 3-4 attacks per character.
That would be pretty useful but then again it would take forever.

Browny

Smash Hater
max 2 minutes per character, so a little over an hour? im not gonna test get up attacks and obvious unshieldable moves lol (like many laggy smashes)

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
^They're quite right about the DT you know. If you find yourself being able to use it, by all means if it works, it works. By theoretical means, it really shouldn't very well.

I would AS a bit more in both games, especially against Diddy. Even uncharged ones being thrown make him have to either shield or eat them, allowing you enough time to move without getting double banana'd -> dash grab. If you time it right, you can even make him eat a fully charged one when he uses a glidetoss, and it's basically a frame trap that if he's already started the glidetoss, will be unavoidable.
Marth you want to approach less anyways, and AS solves that. And it also buckles him for edgeguarding and retreating fairs/nairs. That marth hangs around the ledge more than he should, you should take advantage of that with dairs/fairs as well as your bairs.

More later, you have a decent Lucario in the making.

Aurasmash14

Smash Lord
nah. its just the lucario boards. dun worry. ill critique =D

edit- i cant. the vids refuse to load :/

HyperEnergy

Smash Journeyman
Based on the first video against Olimar, here's what I have to say:

-Use less laggy attacks like fsmash or dair against Olimar. Olimar is great at punishing these two with his smashes and grabs. Your own grabs are by far much more useful against Olimar; if Olimar is shielding all your aerials, don't be afraid to drop down without doing any aerials and just grab.

-Don't get scared when you're offstage. You got hit by so many purples and even a dair by Olimar when you were trying to recover. Start using that air dodge; Lucario has more than enough distance with his Extreme Speed to make it back even if you do air dodge.

-Follow ups. When you hit or threw Olimar into the air, you followed right behind him with a jump. Big no. If Olimar is in the air, you stay on the ground. Then when he comes down you simply need to predict what he is going to do based on his patterns earlier in the game. If he expects you to use a ground move, you quickly jump and do an uair. If he air dodges, use dsmash. If he uses whistle armor, grab him or alter the timing of your attack. If he is out of your range, fire an aura sphere.

-Landing. As you can tell from the point just before this, landing next to a character is bad. Try to never put yourself in this position. If you approach with fair and your opponent shields, do not try to follow up on that fair; just retreat to safety at that point. And if you find yourself hit up into the air from your opponent's attack, avoid landing into any space that your opponent can punish. For this I recommend learning how to b-reversal with aura sphere since you can alter your momentum for those times when your opponent is visciously following you on your way down.

iRJi

Smash Champion
Based on the first video against Olimar, here's what I have to say:

-Use less laggy attacks like fsmash or dair against Olimar. Olimar is great at punishing these two with his smashes and grabs. Your own grabs are by far much more useful against Olimar; if Olimar is shielding all your aerials, don't be afraid to drop down without doing any aerials and just grab.

-Don't get scared when you're offstage. You got hit by so many purples and even a dair by Olimar when you were trying to recover. Start using that air dodge; Lucario has more than enough distance with his Extreme Speed to make it back even if you do air dodge.

-Follow ups. When you hit or threw Olimar into the air, you followed right behind him with a jump. Big no. If Olimar is in the air, you stay on the ground. Then when he comes down you simply need to predict what he is going to do based on his patterns earlier in the game. If he expects you to use a ground move, you quickly jump and do an uair. If he air dodges, use dsmash. If he uses whistle armor, grab him or alter the timing of your attack. If he is out of your range, fire an aura sphere.

-Landing. As you can tell from the point just before this, landing next to a character is bad. Try to never put yourself in this position. If you approach with fair and your opponent shields, do not try to follow up on that fair; just retreat to safety at that point. And if you find yourself hit up into the air from your opponent's attack, avoid landing into any space that your opponent can punish. For this I recommend learning how to b-reversal with aura sphere since you can alter your momentum for those times when your opponent is visciously following you on your way down.
I 2nd this ^^^^

Browny

Smash Hater
well i only watched the alus vs sole 2...

but you could have camped SO MUCH harder. Kirby cant exactly punish fsmash too well and you could have used twice as many aura sphere as you did lol. If kirby has 1 weakness, its a bad approach. you had the lead many times but constantly dropped it/gave it away by approaching him when u didnt need to.

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
Ugghhhh... I can only camp so hard and live!

Maybe I'll grow into it.

EDIT: wow, getting comments here really is slow.

EDIT2: I give up

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
lol no,
I just decided there were too many threads with "Official" in them, and I thought something being a "sticky" was enough, so I did it for aesthetic reasons (or for cases like a certain someone, a reminder *coughTrelaupdateyourshackcough*

Zucco

Smash Master
LOL at Snakeee going metaknight. What forced him to do so? is japes really bad for ZSS? I wouldnt know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom