• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Old Diddy Social/General/Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BleachigoZX

Smash Master
What is the easiest way to pluck bananas while being laser camped by Falco?
someone I know keeps getting ***** by this tactic (LOLOL YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE, jk though ).

Kaptain Kong

Smash Lord
To the SE of Port Town.. ..send - Seattle, WA
Bellioes:
if you dont boost it i think it doesnt slide (no cstick down). Im pretty sure if you boost it, it will have the same effect out of a dash

edit: against falco, you should try to use naners less, and I would try double jump plucking, or try to approach falco to stop his spamming

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
I forget, which throw is technically strong, Fthrow or B throw? I know they're very similiar, but I wanna say one was a little stronger/better than the other.

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
someone I know keeps getting ***** by this tactic (LOLOL YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE, jk though ).
If ur friend plucks one banana at a time, then he won't have as many issues. You should upgrade to that second banana later when you know you are safe.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
The smash elitist user title is given to either SBR (Smash Back Room) members or WBR (Workshop Back Room) members.

It doesn't really mean anything.

Also, like istudying said before, members of the SBR come from a lot of different (valued) backgrounds, like tournament hosts for example.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
Don't pull out Bananas while being laser spammed; try to get a Grab in and pull some out after a F- or B-Throw.

How do you pivot grab out of a run with out getting that huge slide? Is it possible to get the same effect when pivot grabbing out of a run than when pivot grabbing out of a dash (you get no slide)?
Oh, I know what you're talking about; I kept doing it when I was trying to demonstrate the Dash Attack > Reverse Boosted Pivot Grab. I honestly don't know how to do it consistently; I always did it when I just messed up a RBPG.

I believe B throw has more kill potential but F throw does more damage.
I've had an argument with someone about this before, and I'm 90% certain F-Throw is better in both cases.

Sushi3

Smash Apprentice
Does the c-stick throw your banana farther than A from a standing/midair toss? Cause I've always been using a if I'm not GTing...

Edit: Some of the scrubs I play complain about about edgehogging (you're probably already telling me to do it more often) but if I wanted to make the edgehog more flashy and still guarantee the kill without sding, what are my best options right after? Would you guys recommend barrel spiking/footstooling?

Bellioes

Smash Lord
1. The cstick goes further if you just hit A. But if you smash direction+A, then its the same distance.

2. Why not both. Footstool> Barrel Spike looks real sexy; check AZ's video thread first match vs D1 final stock :)

@Ingulit
I dont understand which pivot grab youre talking about. Also, It looks to me that just pivot grabbing out of a run (so you get a slide) and RBPG get the same slide. So why not do the easier one and just pivot grab?

MetaMeeks

Smash Apprentice
I've had an argument with someone about this before, and I'm 90% certain F-Throw is better in both cases.
It's really close to call (so close that move decay and the weight of the character may change it) but the bthrow actually does have the potential to kill at lower percents than the fthrow. Either way the earliest you'll get a kill with bthrow is around 180 under normal conditions so it is very rare to get either as is. But yeah, it's been tested. The precise stats for each throw are in the Diddy Kong Guide thread.

Sushi3

Smash Apprentice
Seeing as this is also a general thread, what were your guys' first experiences with using a banana? The first time, I was like WTF items aren't allowed HAX. I kept on spamming the smash throw (not c-stick) to grab combo and got my friends annoyed. I managed to banana lock with only the a button, and was able to set it up in Corneria lol. I still get annoyed when some of my friends pull out the banana once at the start and never think use another one again; they just spam popgun :(. That and the fact that some them still think that Olimar sucks, but that's irrelevant. Basically, how did it feel to press down B for the first time?

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
The day the game came out, Diddy was the second character I used because all my friends thought he was too good. But not because of the bananas, we all thought they were useless, haha. So I didn't even really use bananas at all at first.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
@Ingulit
I dont understand which pivot grab youre talking about. Also, It looks to me that just pivot grabbing out of a run (so you get a slide) and RBPG get the same slide. So why not do the easier one and just pivot grab?
Weren't you asking about the pivot grab where you stop completely while you turn around out of a run? I was saying that while I was practicing the button presses for a RBPG I would occasionally do that, that I'd get the Dash > Stop > Pivot Grab combination that I thought you were talking about. I don't know how to do that reliably, but I did want to affirm that it's possible. Unless you're talking about something else, in which case 'tis my mistake.

&& Bananas were unimportant when I started. Once I started to use them, though, yeah, my friends got very annoyed with me, even if they beat me (and they still get annoyed from time to time). They really don't care much anymore (and most can catch them fairly reliably now).

Kaptain Kong

Smash Lord
To the SE of Port Town.. ..send - Seattle, WA
Weren't you asking about the pivot grab where you stop completely while you turn around out of a run? I was saying that while I was practicing the button presses for a RBPG I would occasionally do that, that I'd get the Dash > Stop > Pivot Grab combination that I thought you were talking about. I don't know how to do that reliably, but I did want to affirm that it's possible. Unless you're talking about something else, in which case 'tis my mistake.

&& Bananas were unimportant when I started. Once I started to use them, though, yeah, my friends got very annoyed with me, even if they beat me (and they still get annoyed from time to time). They really don't care much anymore (and most can catch them fairly reliably now).
i tried it in practice mode, and i found out that its probably the timing of the pivot grab inputs that makes it slide sometimes, and stop other times.

hard to do reliably

iDeo

Smash Journeyman
Is it possible to play Diddy well in doubles. I mean I'm sure itz possible but, when you get so used to playing 1v1 matches with Diddy, you tend to revolve your entire game among using the whole stage.

Any suggestions on how to prepare yourself for doubles if you're planing on using Diddy in doubles?

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
Is it possible to play Diddy well in doubles. I mean I'm sure itz possible but, when you get so used to playing 1v1 matches with Diddy, you tend to revolve your entire game among using the whole stage.

Any suggestions on how to prepare yourself for doubles if you're planing on using Diddy in doubles?
1. Partner with another Diddy main
2. Make them play a floaty character

You have to learn to use Bananas... more economically, if you will. You have to make sure you avoid your partner while throwing them, but moreso it's on your partner to keep track of them as well. If they aren't doing that, then they shouldn't be playing doubles with a Diddy. You need teamwork more than anything to use Diddy effectively; practice makes perfect in this case.

(IMO. Other people please put your input in as well, I personally hate doubles since I can never find a good partner ><)

MetaMeeks

Smash Apprentice

A REALLY good option if you're planning on using diddy in a doubles match is to play with a camper. They can sit back and camp the crap out of the other team while you take it to them with your bananas. That way you don't have to worry about hitting your partner with bananas because they should never be close to you if they're camping correctly. My personal favorite combo is falco and diddy. Just have Falco short hop double laser over Diddy's head which stops a lot of aerial approaches and Diddy's bananas and pretty good ground speed will help stop ground approaches. With a lot of practice it will make your opponents extremely frustrated which leads to them making mistakes and then easy kills.:chuckle:

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Yeah Ingulit, thats what I was talking about.
Ive gotten it randomly without a slide too but I cant do it reliably either as you said. Im pretty sure it has something to do with the timing too as GMD said. Ill try to look it into it more and then get back to you guys with the results.

Nitrix

Smash Ace
Wow those commercials are creepy. The park one is so weird and creepy lol. Its weird how she includes weird details, like she saw the juggler after lunch O_o

Shade.ice

Smash Rookie
I was wondering who was a good second for diddy? i have tried using ddd, zss, mario, snake, and meta knight. or should i use someone else. please pm with your answer or post here.

iDeo

Smash Journeyman
I was wondering who was a good second for diddy? i have tried using ddd, zss, mario, snake, and meta knight. or should i use someone else. please pm with your answer or post here.
Itz all personal preference. Simply whoever you feel comfortable with is basically who you should make ur secondary.

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
Diddy doesn't really have any horrible matchups besides Luigi and Peach Wario [Peach boards say we are 55:45]. You should find people who are good against them then just trial and error. The other dificult matchups, while winnable, can still be won easier with a third character.

EDIT:

DeDeDe and Marth have ridiculous matchups against Luigi.

D3 because of his infinite and Marth because he can't touch you unless you are missing half of a brain. Marth out ranges everyone of his moves and Luigi can't deal with that kind of pressure in the air or on the ground. Lern 2 space n00b. I'd go for Marth because a good Luigi knows how to avoid grabs by staying in the air, it's kind of a toss-up though. :ohwell:

D3 is 30:70 and Marth is 25:75

Luigi MU thread:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=199357

D3 is probably the best character here. D3 wins on every neutral but gets ***** on CP's; you might want to use him on the first match in a set because it is going to be a random Neutral.

You might want to take up D3 as a third and Marth as a second so you have a very well rounded cast of characters. Though apparently the Wario boards count Marth as 60:40 in their favor but that is BS IMO.

Wario MU thread:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=224269

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
Itz all personal preference. Simply whoever you feel comfortable with is basically who you should make ur secondary.
iDeo, choosing a secondary isn't about who you feel comfortable with. The point of choosing a secondary is to counter your main's weak match-ups. Your main should be decided by preference but your secondaries should be chosen logically. Most of the time, people pick up a secondary and don't like it at first, therefore, they quit and regret it later. The smart people pick up a secondary and adjust their playstyle to fit the new character also. These people benefit in the long run.

TL;DR:
Logically choose a secondary and take the time to get used to it. Don't be lazy.

iDeo

Smash Journeyman
Hmm...I guess you have a point there Goose. Itz just that my secondary is Falco and when I chose him it was more like a comfortable feeling, and as I developed my game with him he just kind of stuck to me. Lui will be my other go to guy when it comes to close range fighting and I made him one my strong characters b/c he just suited me pretty well (that was until I picked up Diddy of course).

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
That's fine but you should do some research on what matchups you will still have trouble with.

I always thought of it this way:

You want a complete wall. The characters you choose help build up this "wall". You start with your main and "build" the wall based around your characters matchups. For example, MK would have a full wall because nothing can penetrate it, whereas Ganon has a few bricks where most characters can penetrate it. You want to have a complete wall with at the most 3 characters. So maybe with Diddy, you have a wall that's 85% complete, so you choose two other characters that will fill up the empty spaces that leaves you vulnerable. I chose D3 and Snake as my other guys so my "wall" is almost completely done.

****, i should do a diagram that people can use to "complete" their own wall.

If I do, will some of you guys help me?

tibs7

Smash Champion
i lost against some **** mk yesterday pissed me off real bad, 'cause i normally beat him and he camped me hardcore, i was sooo angry..i was just wondering if there was a vid anywhere of a campy mk versing a diddy. i cant seem to find one.

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
Actually, nvr mind. Honestly, you won't find one of Diddy winning because even MK's know better than to plank agaisnt good Diddy's. It just simply doesn't work.

I understand, we all have those crappy games where we just get pissed off about stuff like that but the key is, don't try at all. If he isn't trying than your best strategy is to do the same. Stay on the other side and shoot peanuts. When you see the opening, you go in with a banana. If he is camping on the ledge, pluck bananas close to the edge (not close enough for an attack.) Try and make them just barely graze the edge. If it doesn't work, who cares; you won't be the one stalling and being disqualified.

Puffster didn't know either and look at what happened to him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fbmu8fGcWaw

EDIT: AvaricePanda left this comment on Youtube:

"A Diddy should never lose like this to a planking MK...a Diddy shouldn't even be trying to play gay in this MU anyway, or any MU, let alone vs. Plank.

It just guarantees loss."

tibs7

Smash Champion
lol goose that was soo bad i feel sorry for puffster. that was the same type of match i had except i was totally impatient and just wanted a freakin dsmash and DHGR footstool. pissed me off real bad i will never forget his face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom