• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Old Diddy Social/General/Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
Hais. I'm going to a tourney and teamming with a Diddy Kong main, and I'd like to know how well does Luigi team with Diddy kong and Snake team well with, with Diddy kong. Also some REAL INPUT, not some short crappy *** input. Thanks alot, really wanna do good in dubz.
Hey, hippiedude. It took me a couple of minutes to decipher your grammar (LOL), but for the record, I think Luigi and Diddy Kong actually do pretty well together. Diddy is something of a rising star as far as doubles play goes, so smart Diddy mains will be able to zone one or even both opponents effectively off to one side of the stage. He also has a growing reputation of being able to stock-tank decently while simultaneously racking up damage; the only thing he really lacks are reliable kill moves, which Luigi easily covers.

Unfortunately, Diddy and Luigi's weaknesses as a duo aren't that hard to exploit. Luigi's horizontal aerial movement and general ground speed is a bit on the slow side, and it shows whenever he is double-teamed or required to break up opponents tag-teaming your partner. Other issues that you encounter might include your team generally not being able to close the deal on your opponents' stocks, due to the telegraphed nature of both characters' KO attacks.

A lot of these issues can be easily remedied with sound teamwork and doubles chemistry, though. I guess it just depends on how much trust you guys are able to put into each others' abilities.

This is, of course, in my experience teaming with my crew-mate's Luigi.

Lastly, I've been playing Luigi for the last couple of months, and I keep on running into your videos for reference. I have liberally borrowed many things from your style and setups. =)

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Hey, hippiedude. It took me a couple of minutes to decipher your grammar (LOL), but for the record, I think Luigi and Diddy Kong actually do pretty well together. Diddy is something of a rising star as far as doubles play goes, so smart Diddy mains will be able to zone one or even both opponents effectively off to one side of the stage. He also has a growing reputation of being able to stock-tank decently while simultaneously racking up damage; the only thing he really lacks are reliable kill moves, which Luigi easily covers.

Unfortunately, Diddy and Luigi's weaknesses as a duo aren't that hard to exploit. Luigi's horizontal aerial movement and general ground speed is a bit on the slow side, and it shows whenever he is double-teamed or required to break up opponents tag-teaming your partner. Other issues that you encounter might include your team generally not being able to close the deal on your opponents' stocks, due to the telegraphed nature of both characters' KO attacks.

A lot of these issues can be easily remedied with sound teamwork and doubles chemistry, though. I guess it just depends on how much trust you guys are able to put into each others' abilities.

This is, of course, in my experience teaming with my crew-mate's Luigi.

Lastly, I've been playing Luigi for the last couple of months, and I keep on running into your videos for reference. I have liberally borrowed many things from your style and setups. =)
Ahahaha. Sorry l just woke up when I typed up the post, so I was er abit drunk XD! sorry if it wasn't that good to decipher XD!! Just wondering what videos, I know most of my videos are usually uploaded by other people where I'm getting ***** </3 But hence I don't wanna be a show offy and i'm still a random person in the scene trying my best to do well with Luigi. But yeah thanks alot for recognition means alot to me.

But put aside from that silly intro and what not, I just usually do bad against Snakes with luigi >_>. It's always FTILT, UTILT FTILT FTILT, AND GUESS WHAT? FTILT EAT THAT **** ******!!. I'm just hoping Diddy Kong can do something about it haha. Does Diddy kong happen to have any moves that will save luigi? I know Luigi can save diddy kong with Nair and still be able to recover so wanted to know with Diddy as well :laugh: I like the sound of diddy kong able to handle his front and back well against his foes, since luigi can do pretty much same with that fancy buffering gimmicks xP and as well cover the ground quickly with tornado.

And otherwise, thanks for input! :)

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
I don't really remember any of your opponents, but I just remember taking a few of your combo strings for myself. My favorite so far is D-throw > U-air > N-air; I had no idea that D-throw pretty much had set knock-back every single time until I started doing this.

Off the top of my head, the only thing that will somewhat reliably restore your SJPunch without outright killing you while you're recovering from far distances is a thrown banana peel...but Luigi's horizontal recovery is pretty questionable as it is, and that may end up just gimping you, depending on the circumstances. Maybe an off-stage N-air by Diddy might be safer? - It has vertical knock-back.

Anyway, you seem like a pretty underrated player from your region, and I like the creative things you do with your character. So, props.

zyzzx

Smash Cadet
so is anyone implementing the single naner lock much? I was messing around with it yesterday in friendlies and couldn't really pull it off, though I'm pretty terrible at it in general.

not sure if I really want to practice it and get better at the actual technique, let alone working it into my playstyle....

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Ive been doing it a lot in the MK matchup and Im trying to implement it in my matchs against my bro (he mains Marth) since AvariceP's bro mains Marth too and he says there are many oppurtunities where you can use it (ie. a shielded dancing blade.)

Personally, I believe this will be one of Diddys staple techniques in the future.

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
How do I make the Diddy Hump go farther? Whenever I watch videos of people like ADHD it always seems like it goes a lot farther than normal. I know there is a trick to this but IDK what it is.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
You can Ftilt+B to do a shorter Diddy Flip.

To go further, just Fmsash+B instead. It goes further but has a lower trajectory than tilting forward instead.

Also, running and then hitting B will make you do the short one.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
I dont know about that. For me, just smashing works perfectly. I dont really know if holding does anything DURING the flip. Maybe it looks further if you hold forward because once the kick is over, you start drifting forward (assuming youre airborn after the flip) and it looks like its a part of the Diddy Flip animation :ohwell:

Nitrix

Smash Ace
What are bad stages for Diddy Kong and what would be good stages for a Pit to CP? (please give me more then one)

Pokemon Stadium 2 can be very annoying for a Diddy Kong, but it probably isn't fantastic for Pit either.

Pit and Diddy both succeed on flat terrain, but Diddy moreso due to his stage control. Maybe Rainbow Cruise would be okay?

I rarely counterpick, so try out what I say before using it in a tourny lolz

Afropony

Smash Lord
Would Halberd be a good idea?
When we're not on the ship I would be able to go under the stage and Uair him and I don't think Diddy is very good at killing vertically so I don't need to worry about the low ceiling.

tibs7

Smash Champion
LOL pony in diddy thread just like earl was asking about stuff....you guys must want to beat me bad lol.

try halberd on toshi first pony, then if you do well, play me on it. i will always ban rc against pit but if i didnt i will not be using diddy on it.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
Would Halberd be a good idea?
When we're not on the ship I would be able to go under the stage and Uair him and I don't think Diddy is very good at killing vertically so I don't need to worry about the low ceiling.
^^^BAD IDEA^^^

If someone with multiple jumps is trying to harass Diddy Kong from beneath a jump-through platform (like Halberd or Delfino Cruise), all Diddy has to do is charge and fire his Up-B and the explosion, which will go through the bottom of the stage, will spike the attacker. I really wouldn't recommend you try that.

Boofy!

Smash Champion
^^^BAD IDEA^^^

If someone with multiple jumps is trying to harass Diddy Kong from beneath a jump-through platform (like Halberd or Delfino Cruise), all Diddy has to do is charge and fire his Up-B and the explosion, which will go through the bottom of the stage, will spike the attacker. I really wouldn't recommend you try that.
^this

don't shark diddy or snake, they will hurt you.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
I don't really remember any of your opponents, but I just remember taking a few of your combo strings for myself. My favorite so far is D-throw > U-air > N-air; I had no idea that D-throw pretty much had set knock-back every single time until I started doing this.

Off the top of my head, the only thing that will somewhat reliably restore your SJPunch without outright killing you while you're recovering from far distances is a thrown banana peel...but Luigi's horizontal recovery is pretty questionable as it is, and that may end up just gimping you, depending on the circumstances. Maybe an off-stage N-air by Diddy might be safer? - It has vertical knock-back.

Anyway, you seem like a pretty underrated player from your region, and I like the creative things you do with your character. So, props.
:lick: Aha thanks. This somehow gives me motivation and a boost confidence again for my upcoming tourney. Then I should DEFINITELY step it up a notch ;)

And luigi's horizontal recovery is =(. Poorest aerial speed in the game, so of course he'll have to rely on green missle and Diddy Kong clearing the edge for safe landing. I thought Upair works, but sure Nair works too if you say so lol.

Anyways I kinda have more questions if diddy boards don't mind.

Would Diddy's bananas count as a stage control? "Like let's say he has a banana on a BF platform, would that count towards stage control? Also how is Diddy Kong's gimp game? I do know in dubz, gimping MEANS ALOT, as well with a good recovery to survive madness that comes from gimping.. Dunno if l also asked this in my other post, but how does Diddy Kong against Snake in general? I usually have trouble against him so I'm really counting on Diddy against that rawring part =(

Skadorski

// s o n d e r
NNID
Skadorski
I walked past the kitchen and saw a banana peel and I literally grabed it immediatly >.> seriously
*sigh* that was really sad lol

Also, I have a question. When I glide Toss my naners into the opponent at the edge, I go to grab them and pummel as much as I can and gimp/Dtilt if possible. Is this healthy or should I stop?

Edit: so it's a character specific thing? Thank you, thats what I was thinking but I wasn't sure.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
I believe it really depends on the character. I like doing this against Snakes and of course, Wario (except without the pummeling part).

Against my bros Marth, I would much rather throw him or smash him offstage and then edgeguard from there. His UpB outprioritizes most if not all of your options (Dtilt, Dsmash etc) and I dont think Diddy is fast enough to grab the edge before he UpBs.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
So, I'm a ROB main. I'm pretty good with Fox and decent with Snake and Falco. I've yet to really find a solid secondary. I want my secondary to cover everything ROB's bad at. Combos, speed, pressure, basically Diddy. So for the experienced Diddys, is he a good secondary for a ROBot?

MetaMeeks

Smash Apprentice
So, I'm a ROB main. I'm pretty good with Fox and decent with Snake and Falco. I've yet to really find a solid secondary. I want my secondary to cover everything ROB's bad at. Combos, speed, pressure, basically Diddy. So for the experienced Diddys, is he a good secondary for a ROBot?
If that is all you are looking for out of a secondary then Diddy is your monkey. As far as counterpicks go he's not the greatest matchup with ROB. I'm not really too experienced with ROB but I looked over his character matchups and it seems like his biggest weaknesses are MK, ZSS, and GnW and Diddy doesn't really excel in any of those matchups. MK obviously is obviously neutral at best with everyone (wouldn't be metaknight if he wasn't), ZSS can be hard for Diddy to approach, and GnW has superior aerials and priority which make that a hard battle as well.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Actually, Diddys is considered one of MK hardest MUs along with Snake and I believe, Wario. I also know that the G&W MU is in our favor. Im pretty sure the G&W boards agree too; someone correct me if Im wrong.

As for the ZSS MU, check the MU index sticky. I know we discussed her already so it should be in there.

BleachigoZX

Smash Master
What is the easiest way to pluck bananas while being laser camped by Falco?
someone I know keeps getting ***** by this tactic (LOLOL YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE, jk though ).

MetaMeeks

Smash Apprentice
Actually, Diddys is considered one of MK hardest MUs along with Snake and I believe, Wario. I also know that the G&W MU is in our favor. Im pretty sure the G&W boards agree too; someone correct me if Im wrong.

As for the ZSS MU, check the MU index sticky. I know we discussed her already so it should be in there.
Yeah, I know Diddy is one of the better matchups against MK but it's still neutral at best IMO and maybe even in MKs favor a little. You're probably right about the GnW. I never really have problems with them now that I think about it and I've played some of the best in MI. I was just going off of something I read a long time ago but those were probably old posts.

But yeah, as for a good secondary with counterpicking, snake would be a viable choice. As Belioes stated he is one of the better matchups against MK. He can get REALLY quick kills since MK is light. And snake is also one of GnWs worst matchups (again, from what I've read/heard. I could be wrong).

TreK

Is "that guy"
I wanted mine changed to TreK but it looks like we aren't allowed to =/
See SamuraiPanda's post on my profile

ADHD

Smash Hero
What? Our character destroys gnw and zero suit, we do okay against mk but tbh it's a really tough matchup even with our ratio and advantages. Mk's too ****ing broken.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
How do you pivot grab out of a run with out getting that huge slide? Is it possible to get the same effect when pivot grabbing out of a run than when pivot grabbing out of a dash (you get no slide)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom