• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Old Diddy Social/General/Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
And like I said, I really, really don't care.

It's the irony that I find hilarious.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Good.

Now calm down. Why are all you top tier mains so serious?
This isn't the Marth boards last time I checked. lol

dj asakura

Smash Ace
Anyone feel snake would be a good secondary? He's ground based and techy... which is closer to a diddy playstyle except snake is slow and heavy...

Also I looked on snake boards... they were rediscussing diddy and saying DIDDY VS SNAKE IS 50:50... our metagame owns ;]
But yea...
I have actually picked up Snake as a second. He plays somewhat similarly to Diddy but adds more power and plays a little slower.

But I feel like, in general, Marth or Snake are the best choices for s secondary outside of MK.

SRTM

Smash Ace
I played Xyro a while back in a friendly at our local tournament. I wasn't nearly as good as I am now, but my diddy managed to cut up on him at times.

First of all watch out for Samus' Z-air. It's range is startlingly long, and at the tip it has enough knock back to present problems. She can use it to space you on stage if you try to approach, OR Samus can jump off stage after knocking you out there and surprise you with a tipped zair. If it hits, it can kill you off the sides at mid-high percents. That being said be ready to avoid it. Samus HAS TO jump in order to use it, so if she's in the air be ready to avoid it.

She also jumps to use her missles, but the landing lag and the travel speed of the missles are too slow for her to use them when you're getting close, so most likely if she's jumping you will see a zair if you are getting closer to her. As far s the missles, she will be using mostly homing missles, and she can fire up to 3 at a time everytime she leaves the ground. Essentially she can put up a wall of them to keep you at bay, so you're going to want to move towards her cautiously, using powershields on the ground and air dodges to slowly close the gap with her.

Her neutral B is obviously a killing projectile at high percents. A smart samus won't just shoot it as soon as she has it charged, so if it's charged ALWAYS be ready for it. Keep it in mind the whole time! At high percents she can't combo into it so if you're in kill percents, always be ready to dodge/shield it. When she is charging it, don't get excited. She can perform any dodge and she can sheild directly out of it, that being said, if you start shooting or throwing nana's at her, she will probably just powershield them and continue charging. Alot of the time it's a trap, you get anxious to rush in and grab her or something and she punishes for it. Be cautious and smart about your approach, if anything use it as an opportunity to get a good spacing. DON'T JUST RUSH HER! That's just asking to eat one to the face.

As far as her melee combat, her Dtilt, her Fsmash, her Bair, and her Dair are her best kill moves. Her Dsmash is too slow and doesn't kill until high percent, her Usmash just won't kill, and her other air moves are more for comboing/ending combo's. She can use Dair to continually pound you into the ground if you aren't careful, so make sure you tech and get away. She can also effectively run off the edge of the stage and spike you REALLY EASILY, so when you're recovering, if you're going for the ledge, make it QUICK. You don't want to give her the chance to spike you. Her fsmash has decent speed and not much lag, so don't assume a whiff is a free grab or something, but if you're quick you might catch her. Her dtilt is pretty darn quick and can be repeated easily. If you spot dodge the first one, theres a chance that samus will just double up on it and hit you with the second. Her bair is decent as well, so once again, just be aware of it.

As far as what to do in order to harm her, try this stuff. Know that she is floaty and won't be combo'ed to easily. Get a good few percent in, and then back off and play defense until you have the chance again. Also, I personally wouldn't mess with samus off stage, her dair is just too good to avoid, it spikes HARD, has a great hitbox, and doesn't put her at much risk, if you ARE going to do something to her off stage, make it a spaced fair and be careful. If you knock samus into the air, don't try jumping up to juggle, because her dair is going to beat whatever you throw at her. MAYBE you can use Utilt to put her back up there, but for the most part i think your damage will come from short banana combos. Make sure you use your peanuts to apply some pressure back at samus. If you let her start spamming missles and blue-balls-of-death, then you're going to have a very slow, defensive game ahead of you, and it's going to be difficult to get close enough to her when she has her zair to protect her. Use your peanuts to pin her down a bit, and put a banana close to her so she can't just land wherever she feels comfortable. Try to put a bit of pressure while you approach with your banana.

That's about all i gotta say about it, i've played a few good samus' players in the past, Xyro kicked my *** lol but it was a good match. I did also spend some time using samus so i learned a good bit about her. Eitherway, I hope this helps you out.

thanks. Guess I'll have to learn to play really defensive..

Player-1

Smash Legend
Doesn't matter. The fact that the mains of a character who invokes the tripping animation more than any other character in the game are complaining about tripping makes this all way too hilarious.

Diddys deserve to trip as much as Falcos deserve to get planked, or Ice Climbers deserve to get camped, or Snake deserve to get gimped.
no no no, you have it all wrong. He invokes the slipping animation more than any other character.

mdmfromdaridge

Smash Journeyman
thanks. Guess I'll have to learn to play really defensive..
Don't think "defensive." Think "adaptable." Once you get some pressure on samus, and you're too close to have her use projectiles, close enough to glidetoss into throws or smashs, and far enough to where she can't reach you, then you are in a good spot. But once she gets a little room and starts rocketing those missles and stuff out, play defensive.

dj asakura

Smash Ace
im gonna sig this
Haha, I'm honored. I know it's a pretty stupid and inaccurate statement but what I meant by similar is that they're both very projectile and setup based.

I know that the play style is very different and that the setups and everything are totally different, but on a really basic level, they are similar. At least, IMO they are. :p

DFEAR

Smash Hero
yes. it does do stuff.

it damages, it kinda combos to stuff like fair or upair, it can lead to a tech chase, goes through airdodges/spotdodges, picks up a banana relatively fast off the ground, semi-good Oos option, etc etc be creative bro.

mdmfromdaridge

Smash Journeyman
2 Things.

1.Why in the universe have we stopped thoroughly discussing the PSNL?!?!? We need tutorial videos, how-to threads, experimentation! It's an infinite that apparently is really easy and can be done on the majority of the cast, we need to be attacking this from all angles! Also I still can't seem to pull it off so if anyone is willing to post a play by play on how to do it, it would be greatly appreciated. I intend on making this an 'as frequently as possible' thing.

2. How essential is pivoting to diddy kong/brawl in general? I've never really taken the time incorporating it, and I know it does have some uses, but does diddy really need it? Pivot grabs, smashes, whatever else there is, I don't know.

Grizzer

Smash Journeyman
you can charge an Fsmash while sliding over half of battlefield after a pivot... does that help? and yes, i've killed a falco that way, ******* thought he could sideB through me :p

Boofy!

Smash Champion
Nair is one of those moves you throw out then your opponent looks at you like 'rly?'

it's imo diddy's worst move, but has it's uses like in the Oli MU

Player-1

Smash Legend
I find it most useful either when:
-you're falling directly on a person with no midair
-low percent combo breaker if possible (uair is a better combo breaker because of speed, but if you know nair can come out in time then do it for juggling)
-situational times when you're opponent expects an airdodge and you mix it up with nair

Yikarur

Smash Master
just shortly after a pivot animation, charge an Fsmash in the direction you originally ran too, try it, its easiest with yoshi and mk -_- but diddy slides far too
It's called Dash Pivot Cancel :D there are far more applications than a sliding smash out of a dash pivot cancel.

tibs7

Smash Champion
vyse that pic of us is pretty hawwwt.

mm this pivot cancel. i may try it from now on =)

DFEAR

Smash Hero
^then go. no johns. im skipping two days of college classes, friends birthday, sister is at hospital with colitis and took off a week of work knowing they will cut my hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom