• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Old Diddy Social/General/Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
anti-air peanut to forward GT banana throw is a legit combo lol...moar peanutz
I noticed that, like whenever they didn't AD my peanuts and get hit and they were just above a banana, they'd slip on it from underneath.

Does anyone have a more elaborate display as to which attack to use out of DA to connect with? I know it's more of a matter of getting used to the attack's mechanics, but I can't help but feel that, for example, I try to get a utilt out of my DA, only for them to be placed the wrong way.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
theres 4 different directions an opponent can go. (excluding SDI)

1. when you attack from the furthest point of dash attack, which is the very last hit and DA started preemptively, the opponent goes up and slightly to right or left. they are also far enough to connect with a fair.

2. when you attack from mid point of dash attack, which is the last and/or 3rd hit and DA started mid-range, the opponent goes directly above you which will enable a sh or fh upair or uptilt depending on DI/character floatiness

3. when you attack from first point of dash attack, which is the last, 2nd, 3rd hit and DA started close-range, the opponent doesnt go anywhere OR (4.)goes up slightly right or left behind you, can still be combo'd into a sh bair, reverse sh fair or reverse grab.

youll get used to it.

as for SDI, just read and adapt to your opponent. diddy players are natural at reading all sorts of SDI when it comes to our dash attack

Grizzer

Smash Journeyman
why hasnt anybody posted diddy kong's hitboxes on youtube yet?
i kinda like to see them :)

ow and i cant make them visible on my wii cause its hacked XD

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
why hasnt anybody posted diddy kong's hitboxes on youtube yet?
i kinda like to see them :)

ow and i cant make them visible on my wii cause its hacked XD
I would have made the video already if the hack was available.

And about the DA, it has three hitboxes: if you're hit by the first through third, you either don't go anywhere or are blown back by the third. If you're hit by the third, you get blown back. If you're only hit by the second, you're popped straight up (I personally like using Boosted Pivot Grab in this scenario, but tbh it's not that safe or guaranteed). If you're really not sure what you hit with, keep moving in the direction you were DAing and Short Hop > B-Air; you SHOULD hit them even if they were hit by the third hit (at low %).

EDIT: Can we abuse this somehow? Like, Banana Trip > Tech Chase > Footstool > They slide away > ??? > Profit?
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=268657
I seriously doubt it, but seeing as we're one of the few characters that can force a roll I figured there might be some stupid potential for this.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
^i knew about sliding rolls from seibrik. its useless and it doesnt help :\ its good for teams i guess

MBlaze

Smash Champion
Yeah I don't really see that doing much lol, even if it was planned by one player on teams, the team mate would probably be in more of a "wtf?" state instead of alertness. lol

Conti

Smash Ace
Wow the japenseee did psnl with d3 in tourny b4 diddy's here :/

We need to get this down (well u guys... f that for now for me)

mdmfromdaridge

Smash Journeyman
You honestly think you're catching a real good/top player in that?
The beautiful thing about the nana's is that they are their own set up. In the video on page 268 or so, it shows several set ups that shouldn't be terribly difficult to do. In reality, if the set up is to hit them with a banana and then do the PSNL, then it can't possibly be that difficult. I mean, any good diddy is going to hit their opponent with a banana numerous times in a match, now all they gotta do is make sure they are within glidetoss range when they do it, and have a second banana close by. In fact, I believe it even showed a set up that only required one banana, and you had to be just outside GT range to do it. Basically, if you can glidetoss, it looks like you can set up the psnl.....

One a side note, I CANNOT perform the psnl (irony.) I've watched the video but can hardly make out what is going on in between banana hits and stuff, i fear I am over complicating things but I can't help it. Someone spell it out if you can.

sai_:)

Smash Ace
How's everyone else progressing with the Psnl? I can only do it a ccouple times before i **** it up (so far). Anyone else here got it down yet? Or have any tips to make it easier? Are all of us Diddys who havent mastered it yet just scrubz???

Asakura cR

Smash Apprentice
I can only manage to get one or two hits in. It's going to be a long process.

But that's hilarious that DDD used it on a Diddy. That's so upsetting, haha. Go Japan.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
I pretty much gave up on trying to learn the PSNL T.T The SNL makes more sense to me, and it's still hard as ****. I know everyone says PSNL is easier, but how do you footstool them AND move in the same direction that the Banana bounces them? I can never get it ._.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
if the banana is thrown slightly towards the right of their torso/head/center they trip to the left facing right, if you throw the banana towards the left of their torso/head/center they trip to the right facing left, if you throw it directly downwards it doesnt matter what theyre facing they gonna randomly go in one of the two directions facing yet another random direction. it best to choose which direction you want them to trip first.

know your Theory of Bananas 101 diddys >_>

Esam and I have PSNL down...we just need to do it to each other in an actual match T___T...

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
know your Theory of Bananas 101 diddys >_>
I understand just fine that where the Banana hits them effects which way they go, and the ways that it sends them; I'm having trouble moving in that direction once I hit them. I can't seem to get enough mobility out of a footstool; I keep going in the same direction, and I always hit them the other way.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
are you sure your moving urself "hard" enough. innuendo intended if you want lol

otherwise its simply cuz your not moving urself :\ cuz if others can do it surely you can as well!

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
You honestly think you're catching a real good/top player in that?
Of course, the difficulty of nailing this on a really good Diddy Kong would be exceptionally difficult.

However, at least for Sonic, there are several ways to set Diddy Kong up into the lock if he's not careful.

If a Sonic who's knowledgeable and consistent with the lock hits you with a sideB while holding a banana in his hand, you are getting locked. No exceptions.

Same applies to his downB, though the difficulty in footstooling jumps exceptionally high because of opponent DI. SideB isn't effected by this because there's not much outside of amazing DI that can avoid the footstool at low percents.

Sonic has other setups, but the spins would probably be the strongest and easiest to land, considering the difficulties in landing any other variant of the lock. Hell, if there's another banana near Sonic, and he tosses the first one and it successfully hits, Sonic has PLENTY of time to grab the other banana, run over to Diddy, and start the lock from that point on.

The fact that his animation for braking during a run can be canceled out prior to the end of the animation kinda helps Sonic out in terms of mobility as well.

Basically, at least when it comes to Sonic, the Diddy should be aware of how easy it is for a Sonic, who can pull off the lock with near perfect precision, to land the lock, because it does lead to a KO if he doesn't screw up once the lock begins.

Anyways, yeah, on another note, I'm a name-searching *****.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
So, my friend was playing Zamus against me the other day and he Flipstooled a Banana. The Zamus mains have known about this for a long time, but I've never seen it brought up in a match-up thread. Isn't this technically bad for us? She can avoid tripping on Bananas and use it to approach (she moves REALLY fast horizontally when Flipstooling).

Does anyone here even play against good ZSS mains? :laugh:

Coyn3Masta

Smash Journeyman
Of course, the difficulty of nailing this on a really good Diddy Kong would be exceptionally difficult.

However, at least for Sonic, there are several ways to set Diddy Kong up into the lock if he's not careful.

If a Sonic who's knowledgeable and consistent with the lock hits you with a sideB while holding a banana in his hand, you are getting locked. No exceptions.

Same applies to his downB, though the difficulty in footstooling jumps exceptionally high because of opponent DI. SideB isn't effected by this because there's not much outside of amazing DI that can avoid the footstool at low percents.

Sonic has other setups, but the spins would probably be the strongest and easiest to land, considering the difficulties in landing any other variant of the lock. Hell, if there's another banana near Sonic, and he tosses the first one and it successfully hits, Sonic has PLENTY of time to grab the other banana, run over to Diddy, and start the lock from that point on.

The fact that his animation for braking during a run can be canceled out prior to the end of the animation kinda helps Sonic out in terms of mobility as well.

Basically, at least when it comes to Sonic, the Diddy should be aware of how easy it is for a Sonic, who can pull off the lock with near perfect precision, to land the lock, because it does lead to a KO if he doesn't screw up once the lock begins.

Anyways, yeah, on another note, I'm a name-searching *****.
We're too slow :dizzy:?

DFEAR

Smash Hero
So, my friend was playing Zamus against me the other day and he Flipstooled a Banana. The Zamus mains have known about this for a long time, but I've never seen it brought up in a match-up thread. Isn't this technically bad for us? She can avoid tripping on Bananas and use it to approach (she moves REALLY fast horizontally when Flipstooling).

Does anyone here even play against good ZSS mains? :laugh:
i play against nick riddle. lets just say...he aint too fond of my diddy :p

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
We're too slow :dizzy:?
Diddy Kong beats Sonic. He controls the ground with bananas, and Sonic needs that clear space to run around. Not a complete counter, but it's definitely somewhere around 60:40 in Diddy's favor. He wins, but it's not absolute.

Without bananas, no contest. Sonic wins.

=====

So long as the Diddy knows what Sonic can do with bananas, and what situations to avoid for the single naner lock, then the Diddy should have no trouble at all.

mdmfromdaridge

Smash Journeyman
How's everyone else progressing with the Psnl? I can only do it a ccouple times before i **** it up (so far). Anyone else here got it down yet? Or have any tips to make it easier? Are all of us Diddys who havent mastered it yet just scrubz???
It's a little ridiculous to label people as 'scrub' just because they can't do something like this. Now, if, for example, a diddy player couldn't do a glidetoss, then yeah...kinda a scrub. I assure you there are plently of great diddy of players that may not be able to do the PSNL very easily.

That being said, whats happening to me when I try this is baffling. I CANNOT get the footstool after they are hit with a banana. I haven't been able to loop this thing even once. I have NO idea what I'm doing wrong. I've messed around with timing of the banana throw, timing of the footstool, horizontal positioning on the fall. I fast fall, I move side to side to follow, I watch where the banana hits, which way they trip, this that and the other and NOTHING IS WORKING. SOMEONE HELP ME OUT.

Gnes

Smash Master
Diddy Kong beats Sonic. He controls the ground with bananas, and Sonic needs that clear space to run around. Not a complete counter, but it's definitely somewhere around 60:40 in Diddy's favor. He wins, but it's not absolute.

Without bananas, no contest. Sonic wins.

=====

So long as the Diddy knows what Sonic can do with bananas, and what situations to avoid for the single naner lock, then the Diddy should have no trouble at all.
U know our d-tilt/ftilt stops all your approaches right?

FelixTrix

Smash Journeyman
HEY guys not to brag or anything but I 3 stocked jem's diddy with my mk yup im da best

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom