• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Old Diddy Social/General/Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Pokemon Stadium 2.
Good or bad for us?

Transformations aren't that disruptive. You can lose half a minute of play from gayer crap than the ice or wind forms.

I think it's good.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
i only hate the wind part :\ i try not to jump during that part otherwise yea, good stage

treadmill bananas are cool xD

Boofy!

Smash Champion
I personally just started to play on it since mlg made in legal.. but for starters its flat in neutral form, which is obv a plus.

D-tilt lock on the conveyor belt might work and net us some extra percent on fastfallers/heavys.. not sure which way conveyors move or w/e

Wind form can be good for us since our ground game is so strong we have little reason to jump, forcing opponents above us which in that slow-mo is not good no matter which character you are lol

Ice form might mess up follow-ups from bananas due to traction

Earth form isn't bad either, pick a side of the hill and shoot some honey roasted damage with some nanas out, if your lucky they'll approach and you might get a d-tilt/nana lock

I think PS1 is better personally but i can see how PS2 could be good.. like i said i just started to play it so my advice prolly isn't best but hey it's a start lol

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I think the good thing with the wind part is, if the opponent tries to abuse the air and you stick to the ground, their movement in the air will be really predictable and slow.

EDIT: Ninja'd by boofy lol.

mdmfromdaridge

Smash Journeyman
I have a question about secondary characters guys. I've been doing some research as to what character would cover a few matches that are either bad for Diddy, or that I just find particularly annoying. The MU's I am trying to overcome are: Wario, Peach, Olimar, Lucario, Toon Link, Luigi, Mario, and Wolf. As I said I know some of these are neutral and stuff but I just have a hard time for whatever reason.

The characters I've considered so far are Marth, Falco, and Olimar. Of the three, Marth appears to win those particular match up's more decisively then Falco or Olimar, do you think it would be wise to go with Marth? Or do you think it would serve me better to pick falco or olimar?

TreK

Is "that guy"
PS2 ->
It's been my alternate CP with Luigi for a year. It's not that good with Diddy.

Ice -> we have Luigi's shield here, and Diddy's known for his usually perfect shield... It's not Diddy's worst part, it's his opponent's best.
Wind -> people aircamp us easily and stall 30 seconds, but they have to land someday and even if they're wario or MK they're going to get punished for it. Chase them for ~15 seconds then set up your traps calmly, it will give you good results usually.
Treadmills -> probably our best part. Just camp in the middle and you'll have quite a lot of gay combos. Ie : glide toss - fsmash 1st hit - footstool - upB - taunt
Rock -> I don't like being on the slope on the left, but that's just me. Our 2nd best.

I'd CP Falcos there any day if those fools didn't leave Delfino unbanned against me all the time :V

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
The invincibility is only active for a small amount of frames, so it's actually difficult to time.
If it wasn't, Sonics would abuse sideB like no tomorrow.

Imagine how annoying Sonic is on Yoshi's Island or Pictochat.
That's how he'd play on EVERY stage if it were that abuse able.

MBlaze

Smash Champion
Of course, the difficulty of nailing this on a really good Diddy Kong would be exceptionally difficult.

However, at least for Sonic, there are several ways to set Diddy Kong up into the lock if he's not careful.

If a Sonic who's knowledgeable and consistent with the lock hits you with a sideB while holding a banana in his hand, you are getting locked. No exceptions.

Same applies to his downB, though the difficulty in footstooling jumps exceptionally high because of opponent DI. SideB isn't effected by this because there's not much outside of amazing DI that can avoid the footstool at low percents.

Sonic has other setups, but the spins would probably be the strongest and easiest to land, considering the difficulties in landing any other variant of the lock. Hell, if there's another banana near Sonic, and he tosses the first one and it successfully hits, Sonic has PLENTY of time to grab the other banana, run over to Diddy, and start the lock from that point on.

The fact that his animation for braking during a run can be canceled out prior to the end of the animation kinda helps Sonic out in terms of mobility as well.

Basically, at least when it comes to Sonic, the Diddy should be aware of how easy it is for a Sonic, who can pull off the lock with near perfect precision, to land the lock, because it does lead to a KO if he doesn't screw up once the lock begins.

Anyways, yeah, on another note, I'm a name-searching *****.
That was directed more so towards us than other character mains.. but okay lol.

Conti

Smash Ace
I'm sorry but I gotta be random and ask this... how do I dtilt with banana in hand... like I do it randomly but I don't understand how it is properly done (inputs? Timing?) Like I either do it or throw a banana... can any1 elaborate? I know this is a stupid question

MBlaze

Smash Champion
I'm sorry but I gotta be random and ask this... how do I dtilt with banana in hand... like I do it randomly but I don't understand how it is properly done (inputs? Timing?) Like I either do it or throw a banana... can any1 elaborate? I know this is a stupid question
Your control stick has to be in a diagonal position in like a crawl state to do it. Like diagonal down left or diagonal down right, pretty much when you're crawling with the banana in hand will work. But to do it without crawling you'd have to hit A right before you start to crawl.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Oh, I didn't know about that second method :V

Btw, crawling also stops you from picking up Bananas and not just throwing them... Which is great because dtilts becomes unpunishable when done with a banana in front of you. You crawl forward -> you push the banana on the floor toward you opponent lol
The only solution for the opponent is either to be Olimar, or go into the air and get juggled to death.

Yeah, sometimes I play like a 40 years old rapist...

FelixTrix

Smash Journeyman
if you banana with a crawl in your hand it's really good vs. falco becuz it goes under his down b and u punish him.

Player-1

Smash Legend
Felix...I have the video thing of the ledge drop banana thing (Had it for a while) but I'm too lazy to upload it for the dolloar...=(

mdmfromdaridge

Smash Journeyman
Anyone have tips for Samus?
I lost to one in a tourney yesterday. So campy.
I played Xyro a while back in a friendly at our local tournament. I wasn't nearly as good as I am now, but my diddy managed to cut up on him at times.

First of all watch out for Samus' Z-air. It's range is startlingly long, and at the tip it has enough knock back to present problems. She can use it to space you on stage if you try to approach, OR Samus can jump off stage after knocking you out there and surprise you with a tipped zair. If it hits, it can kill you off the sides at mid-high percents. That being said be ready to avoid it. Samus HAS TO jump in order to use it, so if she's in the air be ready to avoid it.

She also jumps to use her missles, but the landing lag and the travel speed of the missles are too slow for her to use them when you're getting close, so most likely if she's jumping you will see a zair if you are getting closer to her. As far s the missles, she will be using mostly homing missles, and she can fire up to 3 at a time everytime she leaves the ground. Essentially she can put up a wall of them to keep you at bay, so you're going to want to move towards her cautiously, using powershields on the ground and air dodges to slowly close the gap with her.

Her neutral B is obviously a killing projectile at high percents. A smart samus won't just shoot it as soon as she has it charged, so if it's charged ALWAYS be ready for it. Keep it in mind the whole time! At high percents she can't combo into it so if you're in kill percents, always be ready to dodge/shield it. When she is charging it, don't get excited. She can perform any dodge and she can sheild directly out of it, that being said, if you start shooting or throwing nana's at her, she will probably just powershield them and continue charging. Alot of the time it's a trap, you get anxious to rush in and grab her or something and she punishes for it. Be cautious and smart about your approach, if anything use it as an opportunity to get a good spacing. DON'T JUST RUSH HER! That's just asking to eat one to the face.

As far as her melee combat, her Dtilt, her Fsmash, her Bair, and her Dair are her best kill moves. Her Dsmash is too slow and doesn't kill until high percent, her Usmash just won't kill, and her other air moves are more for comboing/ending combo's. She can use Dair to continually pound you into the ground if you aren't careful, so make sure you tech and get away. She can also effectively run off the edge of the stage and spike you REALLY EASILY, so when you're recovering, if you're going for the ledge, make it QUICK. You don't want to give her the chance to spike you. Her fsmash has decent speed and not much lag, so don't assume a whiff is a free grab or something, but if you're quick you might catch her. Her dtilt is pretty darn quick and can be repeated easily. If you spot dodge the first one, theres a chance that samus will just double up on it and hit you with the second. Her bair is decent as well, so once again, just be aware of it.

As far as what to do in order to harm her, try this stuff. Know that she is floaty and won't be combo'ed to easily. Get a good few percent in, and then back off and play defense until you have the chance again. Also, I personally wouldn't mess with samus off stage, her dair is just too good to avoid, it spikes HARD, has a great hitbox, and doesn't put her at much risk, if you ARE going to do something to her off stage, make it a spaced fair and be careful. If you knock samus into the air, don't try jumping up to juggle, because her dair is going to beat whatever you throw at her. MAYBE you can use Utilt to put her back up there, but for the most part i think your damage will come from short banana combos. Make sure you use your peanuts to apply some pressure back at samus. If you let her start spamming missles and blue-balls-of-death, then you're going to have a very slow, defensive game ahead of you, and it's going to be difficult to get close enough to her when she has her zair to protect her. Use your peanuts to pin her down a bit, and put a banana close to her so she can't just land wherever she feels comfortable. Try to put a bit of pressure while you approach with your banana.

That's about all i gotta say about it, i've played a few good samus' players in the past, Xyro kicked my *** lol but it was a good match. I did also spend some time using samus so i learned a good bit about her. Eitherway, I hope this helps you out.

mdmfromdaridge

Smash Journeyman
so yea, i lost in tourney due to tripping twice lol...
Thats why we gotta stand behind trip ban! I was watching mikehaze vs. Ally videos today and there were several times in one game where Mikehaze lost momentum or got punished because of a trip. DUMBEST ADDITIION TO ANY VIDEO GAME EVER.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Wait...

The Diddy Kong mains, the players who main a character that REVOLVES around tripping other characters for free damage...
...are complaining about tripping?

Get out. Now.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
Funnily enough, because I just won a (wi-fi) match because I tripped right when my opponent was going to grab me and subsequently CG me to death. I avoided the grab and killed him.
alsoiwasntusingdiddybutthatdoesntmatterlol
Three bananas too good.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
I have a question about secondary characters guys. I've been doing some research as to what character would cover a few matches that are either bad for Diddy, or that I just find particularly annoying. The MU's I am trying to overcome are: Wario, Peach, Olimar, Lucario, Toon Link, Luigi, Mario, and Wolf. As I said I know some of these are neutral and stuff but I just have a hard time for whatever reason.

The characters I've considered so far are Marth, Falco, and Olimar. Of the three, Marth appears to win those particular match up's more decisively then Falco or Olimar, do you think it would be wise to go with Marth? Or do you think it would serve me better to pick falco or olimar?
Play Wolf and learn how to deal with Falco as Diddy. He'll help you with Marth and Olimar and Falco really isn't that bad. (it's what I do, anyway)

Or you could pick Marth and instantly have an advantage over almost as much of the cast as MK

Or you could just pick MK

Or just pick MK

Pick MK

MK

And if they don't fix the Gateway Errors soon I'm going to
RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
Okay

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that is all.

EDIT:

Okay, let's try it this way. DON'T respond to the following question with the following characters:

Meta Knight
Snake
Falco
King Dedede
Marth
Wario
Ice Climbers
(probably one other that should be here but isn't)
Of the characters remaining, which character covers Diddy's not-so-great match-ups the best? Essentially, that means low-High-Tier down.

As I've already stated, I like Wolf. He helps against Marth, Kirby, Tink, Peach, and Lucario a LOT, he makes Olimar quite a bit more tolerable, and he's a godsend against Luigi. Falco still sucks, though.

Conti

Smash Ace
What's the wolf vs marth matchup? Does wolf really raape wuigi?
Edit: 50-50 and 55:45...

Anyone feel snake would be a good secondary? He's ground based and techy... which is closer to a diddy playstyle except snake is slow and heavy...

Also I looked on snake boards... they were rediscussing diddy and saying DIDDY VS SNAKE IS 50:50... our metagame owns ;]
But yea...

mdmfromdaridge

Smash Journeyman
Wait...

The Diddy Kong mains, the players who main a character that REVOLVES around tripping other characters for free damage...
...are complaining about tripping?

Get out. Now.
Don't be ridiculous. Yes our strategy revolves around nana tripping but at LEAST it's avoidable. If someone gets hit with a banana it's because they were too slow or not smart enough to out play the diddy player. That being said, I've done my fair share of banana comboing, and I've also played people that are untouchable from me, but at least it's all based on a mechanic that is controllable. Tripping is random, therefore uncontrollable, and therefore completely stupid.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Doesn't matter. The fact that the mains of a character who invokes the tripping animation more than any other character in the game are complaining about tripping makes this all way too hilarious.

Diddys deserve to trip as much as Falcos deserve to get planked, or Ice Climbers deserve to get camped, or Snake deserve to get gimped.

mdmfromdaridge

Smash Journeyman
It's not about deserving stuff espy, the simple fact is that it's completely uncontrollable. Whether or not you dislike playing diddy kong because bananas wreck sonics ground game is inconsequential to the topic. In the end, a mechanic that can not be truely prevented in any way, shape, or form, should not be kept in a game as competitive as smash. If the game would just magically blow up your character and threw you into the corner of a stage, everyone would disagree. Why? Because it's hugely negative to the game and the competative aspect of it, and it's completely uncontrollable. How is this any different then a trip? Sure, it might save someones *** every once in a while, but most of the time it just kills momentum, sets you up to get killed, and ruins what could've been a perfectly good match.

Banana's sit, in glaring yellow color right on the floor of the stage for all to see, yet people still run into them, and people still stand there and eat nana's to the face. If it's preventable by smart play, then it's fair. Besides, as much as i love diddy, I still think someone is going to make a breakthrough that will just ruin diddy kong. NO ONE is making a breakthrough that just magically prevents tripping (short of hacking)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom