• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Yoshi FAQ/Q&A Thread -- [Please look here before posting!]

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Every once in a while, I'll zone out and imagine a Yoshi that can jump out of shield. It makes me sad to know what could've been. v.v Imagine DR OoS though...so many possibilities...

:005:

Airborne

Smash Lord
Every once in a while, I'll zone out and imagine a Yoshi that can jump out of shield. It makes me sad to know what could've been. v.v Imagine DR OoS though...so many possibilities...

i just thought of that. XD that would be OoS EVERYTHING though!!!! T________________T
**** YOU SAKURAI AND YOUR STUPID *** MECHANICS I WANT MAH OOS.....
y'know, it still doesn't make sense that you can't shield>egg roll..... because you're ALREADY in an egg....

Airborne

Smash Lord
well, you could use it as an OoS counter if we couldn't jump OoS like everyone else, but i just see it like it should've happened logically.... o.O
it'd sure as hell be interesting and quite hilarious though.

Airborne

Smash Lord
It makes sense to me, personally. Woulda been sweet if we coulda done that instead of rolling or something.
i actually think it'd be viable since we have ways to start at full speed, that we could use it to punish laggy attacks, maybe even killing with it on a low ceiling stage at almost 200%.... it'd almost be like bowser's forretress, only without the invincibility frames and the amazing vertical knockback...

Or if they gave the roll it hitbox...
that would be pretty cool. o.O

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Any tips on intercepting/spiking?

Whats a good way at timing those?

Thanks.
You need to read where your opponent is and make your choice from there. I'll give you some general tips

If they're recovering high, do a full hop, throw an egg at them, then DJ up to them for an Uair/nair. You can also do a superjump if you know how.

If they're recovering level with the stage, you have a lot more options. You can jump off backwards and bair them. You can nair them or dair them. You can also go for the Fair spike. Personally, I throw an egg at them then go for a Nair/Fair.

If they're coming low, you can go for a run off Fair, or a Sh Dair. You can also run off and uair if they're light and they're at kill percents. This is one of my favorite ways to kill. <3

SoKratez

Smash Rookie
You need to read where your opponent is and make your choice from there. I'll give you some general tips

If they're recovering high, do a full hop, throw an egg at them, then DJ up to them for an Uair/nair. You can also do a superjump if you know how.

If they're recovering level with the stage, you have a lot more options. You can jump off backwards and bair them. You can nair them or dair them. You can also go for the Fair spike. Personally, I throw an egg at them then go for a Nair/Fair.

If they're coming low, you can go for a run off Fair, or a Sh Dair. You can also run off and uair if they're light and they're at kill percents. This is one of my favorite ways to kill. <3
Thanks. Also, I don't think i use eggs enough in my game. Should I use them as much as posssible?

And what about yoshi's Down aerial? I can never fidn a use for that.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Eggs need to be used differently depending on who you're facing. In general, you want to aim them so they'll explode around or near your opponent, or throw them where you think your opponent wants to approach from. They're more effective in some MUs than others, you need to learn how to use them in each situation.

I don't use Yoshi's Down aerial(DAir) very often myself. Sometimes to cover my landings from high up, and sometimes to edgeguard my opponent. Otherwise it sees very little use. I might use a full hop Dair on an opponent by the ledge or on fatties, but I usually don't.

bigman40

Smash Master
People don't use Dair cause it's not good. People can SDI out of it to minimize damage and most of the time, they can shield and punish if you don't auto cancel. If you can land it offstage, then that's probably your best spot to get the most damage from it. Got class now.

~Mieu

auroreon

Smash Ace
People will often be able to SDI out of the Dair and punish it, thats why I avoid using it most of the time. As has been pointed out, offstage is where Dair should be used but even then you need to know when it is appropriate. Unfortuantly its just a pretty poor move, not useless but certainly limited in its uses.

Paix

Smash Apprentice
Sorry if this was already asked, but who's the best Yoshi? The best I've seen are: Pride, Holty, Krevin and Shiri. I dunno if they're considered some of the best, but whatever, can anyone awnser my question? I'm always interested in watching Yoshi pros :)

Thanks in advance! :D

.Marik

is a social misfit
Probably Green Ace.

I would say Bwett is equally as good, perhaps better, but he dropped Yoshi for Diddy Kong.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Oh snap! Someone mentioned me!

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH SNAP!

My day has been made! :D

Thank you, Paix! I'm not the best (just kidding) (but not really), but I appreciate the complement! ^____^

Wingy

Smash Rookie
:yoshi: I have to say, I really appreciated your guides, Shiri. They're very thoughtful and generally applicable. They've even helped my game out some, even immediately!

D

Deleted member

Wha?
Its not yoshi specific.

But an example would be short hoping backwards at snake, then landing right outside of his foward tilt range. Because the response of most snakes is to ftilt when something is hoppin in range, you can punish with w/e u like.

Its a concept.

YoshiIslander77z

Smash Apprentice
Wha?
Its not yoshi specific.

But an example would be short hoping backwards at snake, then landing right outside of his foward tilt range. Because the response of most snakes is to ftilt when something is hoppin in range, you can punish with w/e u like.

Its a concept.
i understand this much but what are some baiting techniques i should start using, specifically with yoshi.

Metatitan

Smash Master
Some mindgames can be taught like using SH Bair retreating and then turn around egg lay, but they are honestly worthless if you aren't a good player because you won't know when to use them or why.

auroreon

Smash Ace
^ This.

Just try to be always thinking during a match and working out your next move and reacting correctly, instead of going into auto-pilot and just throwing out stuff you know. You should be able to think of mindgames just as you play, you can't really teach mindgames because they aren't a pre-learnt action, the oppertunity for them just arrises sometimes.

Airborne

Smash Lord
another thing that could help you out is to focus on making yourself a little angry each time you get hit; it'll make you focus on why you got hit, so you can then either avoid that situation completely or find another thing you can do in that situation to turn the tables.

not necessarily talking about baiting or mixing it up, but overall advice. you can use this to "bait a bait" though. ;D punish that snake's shield, SONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Wingy

Smash Rookie
^ I agree with this, although I may be speaking out of place. Just try not to get punished for it (tends to be situational.)

Soo... I'm going to my first tournament this Saturday (I was expecting not to be able to for at least 2 years, so this is exciting!) and while any general advice would help (I did, however, read a topic on "How to get the most of your first tournament", which helped), one thing I've been dying to know:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=di_D9B5FX2A
I can't seem to get the ledge as quickly as Scatz does. I always go through the animation. Is it timing, or placement? Or is Scatz just... like that?

(It'd be great if Scatz himself could explain, actually)

pwiito

Banned via Warnings
yeah u need to think and take decicions, or sometimes just try to guess. I'm good at guessing stuff, also just wait for people to do stupid stuff and most of the times they make a pattern because some players have bad habits like spotdoging everytime

Airborne

Smash Lord
^ I agree with this, although I may be speaking out of place. Just try not to get punished for it (tends to be situational.)

Soo... I'm going to my first tournament this Saturday (I was expecting not to be able to for at least 2 years, so this is exciting!) and while any general advice would help (I did, however, read a topic on "How to get the most of your first tournament", which helped), one thing I've been dying to know:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=di_D9B5FX2A
I can't seem to get the ledge as quickly as Scatz does. I always go through the animation. Is it timing, or placement? Or is Scatz just... like that?

(It'd be great if Scatz himself could explain, actually)
this is why i can only ledge guard with yoshi:

when you run off of stage, quickly turn the stick towards the ledge and JUMP.

for some reason, the first initial frames of yoshi's second jump can be canceled into grabbing the ledge, wavelanding on a platform/stage, or for Draconic Reverse. o.O

Try just running off of the stage and jumping as soon as you make it next to the ledge horizontally.

bigman40

Smash Master
Heh. Never thought that tech would be brought up again. To cancel the startup of yoshi's downB, you have to have the control stick back to neutral before he begins the animation. If you do it w/o buffering, you'll only have a 1 frame window, but if you buffer it, it'll be like 10x easier.

~Mieu

Wingy

Smash Rookie
Thanks guys! That was bugging me for awhile. Airborne, thanks for the extra info, even though I already had practiced it some.

JOE!

Smash Hero
So, what is the best way to DI out of Zelda's Usmash?

Ive been having a bit of trouble trying to get out early of angle myself, but to lackluster results :/

Sharky

Smash Master
afraid I can't help you with that one. =/

I have a topic of my own though. Distant Planet is a cp at this weekend's tourney and I wanna use it. Someone know a: who I can cg there and b: other than yoshi antics on the slope/going through the stage what tricks do you guys know of here?

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
afraid I can't help you with that one. =/

I have a topic of my own though. Distant Planet is a cp at this weekend's tourney and I wanna use it. Someone know a: who I can cg there and b: other than yoshi antics on the slope/going through the stage what tricks do you guys know of here?
I'm by no means an expert on Distant Planet, but I know the bottom part of the slope is a great camping location for Yoshi, and Dtilt/Dsmash on the right side of the stage can send the opponent very close to the monster's mouth depending on %s. I don't know about the chaingrabs, though.

bigman40

Smash Master
So, what is the best way to DI out of Zelda's Usmash?

Ive been having a bit of trouble trying to get out early of angle myself, but to lackluster results :/
Yoshi can't DI it cause he's too small to avoid being hit when you DI into the ground.

~Mieu

Top Bottom