• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Yoshi FAQ/Q&A Thread -- [Please look here before posting!]

bigman40

Smash Master
These boards might as well be pronounced dead.

Also, I'm probably gonna stop adding information as I don't really feel the need to continue posting stuff when no one plays the character anymore. It's a waste of my time for me to do that.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
I'm still faithful to Yoshi... :(

Still, I'm surprised to see how many people dropped him down to a secondary now.

:069:

Airborne

Smash Lord
i'm still keeping up with maining yoshi until i become a far better player overall, since he feels like training wheels for me, but i'm working with other characters as well (mainly in order to just understand them more), and we'll see how it goes from there...

Noobicidal

Smash Master
That just means Yoshi mains are an elite core! Only a select few are permitted to be honored by Yoshi mainage. >=[

Must try to hide sadness.
Just do what the Puffs do: Troll each other for ****s and giggles.

Also, how do I shot eggs?

auroreon

Smash Ace
These boards might as well be pronounced dead.

Also, I'm probably gonna stop adding information as I don't really feel the need to continue posting stuff when no one plays the character anymore. It's a waste of my time for me to do that.
Thats a shame. =(

Just think of it this way, those of us that still main Yoshi are more unique.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Um, if you're talking about Yoshi's...

It's like, right on his nose. That spot is reeeeeeeeally vulnerable, and few moves can cover it. It's where people can hit you during your pivot grab/like everything. If someone drops an aerial onto your nose, there's not much you can do about it. =/

D

Deleted member

The only thing unique about yoshi mains in comparison with those who dont is that now we can actually place without being held back.
This only applies at a very high level of play, so unless you feel you are able to compete at a national or high regional level (skill wise) i think sticking with yoshi is good, helps you get better.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Socks, funny you'd say that. I swear Air mentioned how we'd all be famous players if we switched to a high/top tier after playing Yoshi. Some people I've played have mentioned it to me as well.

But alas, I only care for Yoshi.

bigman40

Smash Master
I wonder how much better off those people that switched are now? I wonder how much money they've won, and how much recognition they've gotten since they've switched.

D

Deleted member

I just switched 2 weeks ago and havent really decided on a main.
Bwett is placing about the same but he has played diddy only a month, while he played yoshi for over a year.

If you cant place well with yoshi you wont place well with anyone else.
Just remember that.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
If that's true, then why change who you main? That's almost like saying Yoshi's the best character in the game. It could very well be his flaws that keep us from placing well. It's like telling the Ganons "If you can't place well with Ganon, you can't place well with anyone else." Which is most likely false.

Just sayin'.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
You know, I've always wondered that...

If all the good people playing low-tier characters suddenly switched to playing high-tier characters, would we see a dramatic shift in tournament placings?

Heck, for all we know someone who is better than M2K is playing as a low-tier character right now.

:069:

D

Deleted member

Delta, if you think so, switch high tier.
You wont place better.

I didnt say you wont place better if you were already placing high with yoshi.
I said you wont if you arent.

Also, dont be stupid.
If you really think you are a super pro, then go MK.
But you arent.
Youd be placing top if you were.

bigman40

Smash Master
Now that you've had time to get "good" with your new "better " main, how much more money and recognition have you gained since maining him/her? Unless you placed top 3 every time, you aren't doing better in terms of making money.
This will be all that I quote when I see more people switch mains every time. Actually, I'ma make it my sig.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
can we DR waveland back onto the stage after this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S54mPByImY0&feature=sub
My guess is that that would only work if the stage had a slant on the edge, like Lylat. Why would you want to do it if you were the one doing the attacking, anyways?

Unless you mean on the defensive. In that case, the same applies I'd guess, just pray you don't happen to get hit. XD

So I was browsing the forums and found this new tech thing. Anyone think it'd be useful?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdrsdxrey0I

It looks like it's a bit lengthy to perform, and the slide really isn't that great, assuming Yoshi gets a similar slide out of it. Just wanted to get some other opinions.

hadesblade

Smash Lord
My guess is that that would only work if the stage had a slant on the edge, like Lylat. Why would you want to do it if you were the one doing the attacking, anyways?

Unless you mean on the defensive. In that case, the same applies I'd guess, just pray you don't happen to get hit. XD

So I was browsing the forums and found this new tech thing. Anyone think it'd be useful?

It looks like it's a bit lengthy to perform, and the slide really isn't that great, assuming Yoshi gets a similar slide out of it. Just wanted to get some other opinions.
Why not just walk? It looked like any attack he did stopped the slide, it seems like walking would be just as effective, unless I'm missing something.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Why not just walk? It looked like any attack he did stopped the slide, it seems like walking would be just as effective, unless I'm missing something.
According to what he said about it, ftilt stopped the slide. If you're watching it, you can see him slide AS he's jabbing.

Anyways, I'm calling this one pretty useless thanks to the lengthy start up that it'd be hard to miss. I just wanted to put it out there.

P.S. HoN sux.

Sharky

Smash Master

lol pivot slides have been around since close to the beginning.

and I meant my question in an offensive manner, in the case that the opponent does not fall off, mainly for shield pressure purposes. It's rather situational, either way, but every bit helps.

auroreon

Smash Ace

I don't need to watch the video, I already know you are talking about Moon Dashing lol.
Normally I don't like to ignore techs without testing them lots, but I'm pretty sure its not of use to us, DR is superior and easier to perform.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
lol pivot slides have been around since close to the beginning.

and I meant my question in an offensive manner, in the case that the opponent does not fall off, mainly for shield pressure purposes. It's rather situational, either way, but every bit helps.
Oh, well I'd still only assume you can do it if the edge is slanted.

Sharky

Smash Master
I dunno actually. Wario can make it back on flat ground just because of his acceleration in the air, so it might be possible on flat edges too.

MX778

Smash Journeyman
Socks, funny you'd say that. I swear Air mentioned how we'd all be famous players if we switched to a high/top tier after playing Yoshi. Some people I've played have mentioned it to me as well.

But alas, I only care for Yoshi.
Yoshi is just too cool for school huh? : )

Sharky

Smash Master
so I officially switched my control settings to b as jump to learn DR. ****, it's like learning to play all over again haha, this is gonna take some getting used to. However, I'm feeling pretty good about learning the actual DR stuff now, it's more of getting used to the motion now rather than making an olympian of my thumb lol.

Airborne

Smash Lord
so I officially switched my control settings to b as jump to learn DR. ****, it's like learning to play all over again haha, this is gonna take some getting used to. However, I'm feeling pretty good about learning the actual DR stuff now, it's more of getting used to the motion now rather than making an olympian of my thumb lol.
i picked this setup up in about may or june i believe, and it took only about a month to get used to... i acually like it better now because the X button feels more convenient for special moves, since it's bigger... and now that i think about it, it might make jumping OoS for people that hate tap jump a hell of a lot easier.... or for nairing OoS in general.... this being a normal character of course.
XD

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I've begun to use that set up starting like, Tuesday. It's still a bit awkward, but I can't go back because I get that mixed up too. My advice for getting used to it is to just play with other people a lot. It'll get your muscle memory down faster.

Jumping OoS is so good. Whenever I play other characters, I cry because I think of how much better Yoshi could be with an OoS game. =[

Metatitan

Smash Master
Yoshi would be a lot less ****ty with an OoS game, imagine punishing shuttle loop with OoS Uair. Btw OoS Nair would.... ****. Or OoS down b ;_;

Top Bottom