• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Yoshi FAQ/Q&A Thread -- [Please look here before posting!]

Sharky

Smash Master
I'm sitting happy right now with a double bbq bacon cheeseburger in my stomach that I put together. ^_^

can anyone think of any other hard info that should be changed in the guide?

edit: good look on the ness bit. I was just abusing that at my tourney last week lol

Sharky

Smash Master
I haven't a clue what the current ones take in, ask lil'b on that one. I'd assume not, though, and that he just tossed some numbers up in the air and used what he caught.

Sharky

Smash Master
it was "disproven" by someone when we did not have frame hacks yet. Therefore, the disproof wasn't exactly valid to begin with. Now that we have frame by frame hacks, we have determined that we can in fact grab her before she regains control.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
Everyone on the list is CGable even falco and ZSS

its just not easy step your **** up

If its not working for you don't attempt in a tourney match or w/e, then

hadesblade

Smash Lord
So.... in my switch from wifi to offline I can now cg falco and punish their spotdodges with charged usmashes.

Offline is amazing :p

JOE!

Smash Hero
are there uses for a short-hop Ground Pound?

Yoshi can do it relativley quick and those stars are nice <.<

Airborne

Smash Lord
the damage dealt using the stars is only 4%, and the knockback is so low that you can get easily punished. i only recommend using a short hop ground pound if you are going to slide off a platform/stage, due to the ending lag becoming nonexistent as soon as you leave the platform/stage.

edit: actually, DK has a glitch where he can become invincible or be granted super armor from his upb, and our ground pound stars are one of the only things that can break the invincibility.... so that's a slight use, i guess.

Sharky

Smash Master
holy egg glitches batman!

that was pretty crazy. the whole dying afterward bit kinda stinks, but other than that it was pretty kickass. =D

bigman40

Smash Master
Lol, you can understand why it happened w/o needing much thought. Yoshi's eggroll deals more damage the faster it moves (was the same in SSBM). Frigate's flipping increased Yoshi's speed about tenfold, and jiggz happened to be in the way during the flipping. To see what I'm talking about, pause the vid at 15 secs. If you're not looking at the moment where jiggz is being hit, then you're looking at the 1st part of the 15 secs. When you see it, you'll see that jiggs was in the way.

I only wish is was easy to exploit so that we'd have s super cool kill move. :( Good find though man.

Sharky

Smash Master
Lol, you can understand why it happened w/o needing much thought. Yoshi's eggroll deals more damage the faster it moves (was the same in SSBM).
too bad the downhill max speed is crap now compared to melee, as can be shown in yoshi's island pipes. =/

bigman40

Smash Master
Yeah, the only use for this would be to use it on Frigate (since that's the only stage that flips fast enough), and position yourself to where you'll be over the stage after it's flipped. Even then, getting the move to land is all luck there. :( Maybe we'll get lucky and land one to unsuspecting players.:laugh:

Scabe

Successful Businessman
I've been trying to recreate it, and it's actually not that difficult so yeah awesome exploit for you guys :)

I totally forgot I could take snap shots of the replay.

Airborne

Smash Lord
THAT
WAS
SO
AWESOMEEEEEEEE
but yeah, it'd be fun to do if you're ahead by at least a stock.... and you might not die on one of the flips (i.e. the one flip with the side platforms...)

Depster

Smash Champion
Yeah, same theory here. Now does yoshi hit everything between start and finish or just where he ends at is my question...

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
There needs to be some crawl AT's or more AT's with double jump/slopes. Let's find em guys

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Heh, well you can DJC up and down slopes. It's pretty fun. Works on YI, Lylat, anything with a slant, really. Good for landing fsmashes. This is pretty well known, I'd say. At least I hope it is.

Trojan Donkey

Smash Cadet
(about the youtube video with Yoshi hitting jiggs with the egg roll)

Wow... Now that was something!!! To bad Yoshi gets pwned by the spinning arena. Any explanation for the glitch???

Sharky

Smash Master
he rotated with the stage until it went vertical, at which point he fell off. Because of the super-high speed, egg roll did a crapton of damage/knockback.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
So I was thinking about Yoshi's shield game, and I know I've done this a couple times, but I want to know why it happens exactly.

I'll shield an attack near the edge, then roll towards it immediately and drop my shield while rolling. After dropping my shield I'll tumble off the ledge but grab it, allowing me options to counter and return to the stage.

Does anyone know the exact physics behind this? I think it has something to do with shield knockback and how other character's can get pushed off the ledge, but I don't think it happens with them if they roll. I'm interested in looking into this because it really helps Yoshi's shield game out.

A more minor question: Do eggs only bounce off of Powershields or does it depend on trajectory and power? IF we could consistently bounce eggs off shields, it'd make them a lot more potent as a projectile.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Okay, so...

...whenever you shield an attack near any edge (not the grabbable kind, edge as in "there is no more ground at this particular elevation that is connected to the ground you are currently standing on" type edge...so this includes stage edges, but isn't limited to them--ledges, platforms, various surfaces, etc.) you have a chance to be pushed off depending on the strength of the attack. Attacks with certain strength variables (whether it is damage or knockback is unclear to me, although knockback would be the more obvious one) will push shielding players farther depending on the value of that attack's strength variable. Yoshi gets pushed further than all characters on all attacks because of the built in semi-lightshield traction with his shield.

When the shield absorbs an attack and is pushed back, the momentum applied to the player and its shield is what carries the player off the edge. Rolling does not necessarily cause this action. You can see that if you roll in the direction of the attack (assuming that your back is to the edge and you are taking an incoming attack from your front), you will more or less roll in place (again, depending on the strength of the attack shielded). The big difference when you fall off is whether or not you are holding the shield when you are pushed to, and eventually off of, the edge. Holding the shield puts one in a tumble animation when they fall off the edge, while releasing before reaching the edge (not necessarily before beginning to fall) simply sends the player off the edge as if they had walked off.

Most characters who shield attacks near stage edges will grab onto the edge regardless of whether or not they were holding their shield down.

Projectile deflection of any kind depends on only two things; the angle of the projectile and the angle of the shield. Opposing players have the choice of deflection--if they truly want to shield something without deflecting it, they do have that option at any time simply because part of the process relies on the angle of their shield.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Shiri. <3

That explains why I get a lot more egg deflections with ECE. They're usually close enough for me to throw it at a more parallel angle with their shield, rather than at long range where it comes right at them.

Airborne

Smash Lord
ok, so in the midwest circuit today, i teamed with my good friend as usual, and we ended up facing tyr and framerate in the 2nd round.... we beat them 2nd game and they cp'd frigate orpheon., well everyone was at their last stock, mine being fresh, and the stage was doing the warning to flip... i do something wrong and accidentally end up egg rolling... the stupid glitch happened, but this time, i just instantly die and no one gets hit by me... we lost the match b/c of it. -.-

also, i'm picking up falco again; i'm either double maining or having yoshi being used for all of my bad MUs and CPs... i.e. kirby, sheik, pika, rainbow cruise.... yeah, that's why i'm Airborne.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
ok, so in the midwest circuit today, i teamed with my good friend as usual, and we ended up facing tyr and framerate in the 2nd round.... we beat them 2nd game and they cp'd frigate orpheon., well everyone was at their last stock, mine being fresh, and the stage was doing the warning to flip... i do something wrong and accidentally end up egg rolling... the stupid glitch happened, but this time, i just instantly die and no one gets hit by me... we lost the match b/c of it. -.-

also, i'm picking up falco again; i'm either double maining or having yoshi being used for all of my bad MUs and CPs... i.e. kirby, sheik, pika, rainbow cruise.... yeah, that's why i'm Airborne.

FSDJKI BFALSFHL DFAJLHAL *insert brick ****ting here*

Um, which way did you egg roll. Might have something to do with it. =/

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Actually, I was trying to show some people the glitch yesterday, but I couldn't pull it off. I was always either too early or too late. I think it's best not to do it until you practice it in training or something. =/

Also, can this glitch work with the first part of the stage?

:069:

Top Bottom