• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Snake Video Critique Thread!

False

Smash Lord
NNID
Falsified
Thanks for the tips and support.

I would tech chase a lot more.. But it seems that my Snake prospers most when I'm edge gaurding. I'd rather have my opponent off the stage rather than get an extra 11-20 damage.

jbandrew

Smash Lord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-ylzNX2CWY

This is kind of an old match, but it's the most recent tourney match of me. :l

Critique please?

The match starts at 1:10.
What happened at 4:00? You had Metaknight on a platform, thats one of the deadliest places for MK to get grabbed; or any character. You should've D-throw tech chased him there.

I notice that you're not pulling enough grenades.. I should at least hear one grenade every 5-10 seconds. at LEAST. I never ever am without a grenade, so use em, cuz without grenades snake is just an average character with good tilts that can be punished OOS and horrible aerials.

Your DI was good 2nd stock when u were getting Dsmashed, which leads me to believe that you can be a good snake if you improve your stage control and nade game; because you'll live to decent percents.

I also noticed that you have good tech skill, both nade reverses that you did were a good idea and the 2nd one showed me that you can be precise with them.

Overall, I can tell that you practice with snake, but maybe got nervous? Don't get nervous, work on your nade game and stage control, remember that you should always pull out a nade at least every 5 or so seconds. (except if ur recovering) An idea to stop Biglou's generic Fair approach would be maybe toss a nade up? Even walking towards him and roll back just outside his range would be a better idea that to try and fight MK without grenades.

Work on those things :)

jbandrew

Smash Lord
This is me playing a Diddy. Critique, please?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKjFTKb-szc
wow. ur snake is really fun to watch, it does some really stupid **** but its also smart at the same time. I like it, keep it up! I know this isn't critique, more like an incentive to keep doin what ur doin, cuz it looks like you may one of those people to pull out sick *** combo videos in the future.

ScAtt77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScAtt77
Thanks for the critique. Compared to some of my later videos in friendlies, I do believe that I was nervous. Fortunately, I think that I've found a way to avoid being nervous now.

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SI34fLn08M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO5qBLbta24

EDIT:Also I was pretty rusty and hadn't played in a couple of weeks before playing this. ;-;

DOUBLE EDIT: I also realize that I do alot of things that the conventional/campy Snake should do, but that's just the way that I use him and feel comfortable with him. o-o
In general:
It appears that you are still learning Snake. Some key things I saw that were missing in both your vids:
1) B-reverse - You could've avoided a lot of throws from Rob reading your landing. Snake has poor aerial mobility, so try practicing utilizing those B-reverse to mix up your landing options.
2) Grabs/D-throw tech chases - I don't think I saw a single grab although it looks like you had a couple chances to grab. Dthrows have the option to lead to big damage. If you can predict whether the opponent will roll left, right, get up attack, get up, or just sit there, you have a plethora of options left at your disposal. Even if you don't get a regrab or a tilt, the dthrow will pressure the opponent and leave options open.
3) It looks like you try fighting Rob in the air. Snakes aerial game isn't good. You'll most likely get outspaced and take damage. Keep on the ground and make sure you space your tilts.
4) Roll less. This isn't to say never roll, but just not all the time. If you need to run away or reset space, you can shield dash, just run away and tap your shield. Some opponents will still chase you, but it's better than rolling, which can be reacted to.

First Video:

0:16 - You pull a nade and roll into Rob's bair which the hitbox is almost (?) his whole body. A better option in this case would just be to shield drop.

0:18 - another roll into Rob's bari.

0:21 - a roll into a laser.

1:06 - How did you SD? I'm guessing it was just practicing a B-reverse? Whenever I pull a Nikita, it's 98% of the time a failed reverse.

1:48 - Nice mixup Bair for the kill.

3:40 - 3:45 -> Yea Rob taste your own Gyro haha. 26% damage using that gyro haha.

3:49 - 4:02 - practice teching so you don't get combo'd off walls.

4:53 - Nice ledge drop > regrab edge + using your nade to help you get back on stage.

Vid 1 General Notes: I feel like what hurt you the most is rolling and no b-reverses. If you B-reversed, you would've had a much easier time getting back on the ground and not eat bairs, fairs, nairs, and grabs. As for rolling, it was just rolling into aerial attacks and random lasers. Other things to work on is powershielding those lasers from afar. I'm not one to talk though cause I eat falco's lasers for breakfeast lunch and dinner. On the other hand, I gotta say you have a great C4 game. I didn't feel like listing all the times you hit Rob with your C4, but you got C4 damage off numerous times. Good job on that. Your DI + momentum cancel is right on target too. As for not camping rob, I >think< we get outcamped by rob anyway. Not 100% sure though.

Second Vid:

0:10 - 0:15 -> Ouch, that wall of pain. That could've been avoided if you waited on your second jump and sweet spotted that ledge grab. Not gonna lie though, I know I would've done the same. At least you didn't die.

0:21 - You could've cyphered. You were hit with utilt and even though you chucked a nade, I'm sure there's enough time to get that cypher going. Maybe just a button mess up? Stuff happens.

1:02 - 1:05 -> You SD. If you gonna cypher, cypher high. Again, **** happens.

1:46 - haha, fair spike into nade. Nice.

2:13 - ugh, if only Rob got hit by the C4 after the footstool. So close haha.

I don't really know what to say about the second vid. Clearly you just SD twice and gave rob the 3rd stock. The rolling is less prevalent in this vid compared to the 1st one. Overall, just keep using Snake, get the feel for him, get those B-reverses down, grab more, and try to kill bad habits.

Good job man, keep up that C4 game. Also, I enjoyed the music in those vids. It made me wanna shuffle.

First Vid:
1:16 - yea fair spike attempt!

3:16 - Haha, 3rd fair. That made me smile haha.

I don't know what to say about this first vid. I didn't see any blatant bad habits. I just saw the mayhem that Snake dittos are.

Second Vid:

0:44 - Whew, talk about knowing attack ranges. You sho' know the hitbox of C4..

1:17 - I would've recovered higher and use cypher right after the jump. It's not like D3 was chasing you off the edge. He has time to react when you recovered low. Even if you made it to the ledge, it would still be a disadvantageous position.

1:30 + 1:40 - I'm not sure why you full hop naired. It wasn't autocancelled, so there's lag that the D3 should've capitalized on.

2:03 - this makes more sense to nair when D3 is at the ledge, so at least you can push him off to prevent a punish.

2:08 - nice haha. He tried to inhale you and sucked in your utilt instead.

the end - nice C4 kill

It's interesting the way you handled this MU. I personally camp a lot more. The D3 I used to play would space his bairs, grabs, and ftilt. If I dacus at him, he could consistently grab me out of it and would have a near perfect or perfect CG me to the edge. Well, it worked against this opponent though.

0:36 - I think you may have been able to space it just right so you wouldn't get hit by that fsmash, but MKs range is longer than it seems... so I'm probably wrong haha.

0:59 - you could've footstooled the nado instead of trying to airdodge through it. Bair or uair could've hit through it too, since it's the direct top of the nado.

In general, be careful when you pull your nades. That MK should've been capitalizing on that more. Pull nade to close and you'll get grabbed. It seemed like you spaced less and dacus a lot in this vid. I dunno what to say, Mk is just tough. I see more missed opportunities to punish from Mk than from you. Towards the end, Mk would nado when he could've took the stock with a dsmash or even a utilt. I don't see any blatant habits. Keep in mind though, I'm not that great in the MK MU though. Etecoon wrecked my Snake. He showed me to be careful when plucking nades, cause Mk's fast enough in the ground to punish it.

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033
In general:
It appears that you are still learning Snake. Some key things I saw that were missing in both your vids:
1) B-reverse - You could've avoided a lot of throws from Rob reading your landing. Snake has poor aerial mobility, so try practicing utilizing those B-reverse to mix up your landing options.
2) Grabs/D-throw tech chases - I don't think I saw a single grab although it looks like you had a couple chances to grab. Dthrows have the option to lead to big damage. If you can predict whether the opponent will roll left, right, get up attack, get up, or just sit there, you have a plethora of options left at your disposal. Even if you don't get a regrab or a tilt, the dthrow will pressure the opponent and leave options open.
3) It looks like you try fighting Rob in the air. Snakes aerial game isn't good. You'll most likely get outspaced and take damage. Keep on the ground and make sure you space your tilts.
4) Roll less. This isn't to say never roll, but just not all the time. If you need to run away or reset space, you can shield dash, just run away and tap your shield. Some opponents will still chase you, but it's better than rolling, which can be reacted to.

First Video:

0:16 - You pull a nade and roll into Rob's bair which the hitbox is almost (?) his whole body. A better option in this case would just be to shield drop.

0:18 - another roll into Rob's bari.

0:21 - a roll into a laser.

1:06 - How did you SD? I'm guessing it was just practicing a B-reverse? Whenever I pull a Nikita, it's 98% of the time a failed reverse.

1:48 - Nice mixup Bair for the kill.

3:40 - 3:45 -> Yea Rob taste your own Gyro haha. 26% damage using that gyro haha.

3:49 - 4:02 - practice teching so you don't get combo'd off walls.

4:53 - Nice ledge drop > regrab edge + using your nade to help you get back on stage.

Vid 1 General Notes: I feel like what hurt you the most is rolling and no b-reverses. If you B-reversed, you would've had a much easier time getting back on the ground and not eat bairs, fairs, nairs, and grabs. As for rolling, it was just rolling into aerial attacks and random lasers. Other things to work on is powershielding those lasers from afar. I'm not one to talk though cause I eat falco's lasers for breakfeast lunch and dinner. On the other hand, I gotta say you have a great C4 game. I didn't feel like listing all the times you hit Rob with your C4, but you got C4 damage off numerous times. Good job on that. Your DI + momentum cancel is right on target too. As for not camping rob, I >think< we get outcamped by rob anyway. Not 100% sure though.

Second Vid:

0:10 - 0:15 -> Ouch, that wall of pain. That could've been avoided if you waited on your second jump and sweet spotted that ledge grab. Not gonna lie though, I know I would've done the same. At least you didn't die.

0:21 - You could've cyphered. You were hit with utilt and even though you chucked a nade, I'm sure there's enough time to get that cypher going. Maybe just a button mess up? Stuff happens.

1:02 - 1:05 -> You SD. If you gonna cypher, cypher high. Again, **** happens.

1:46 - haha, fair spike into nade. Nice.

2:13 - ugh, if only Rob got hit by the C4 after the footstool. So close haha.

I don't really know what to say about the second vid. Clearly you just SD twice and gave rob the 3rd stock. The rolling is less prevalent in this vid compared to the 1st one. Overall, just keep using Snake, get the feel for him, get those B-reverses down, grab more, and try to kill bad habits.

Good job man, keep up that C4 game. Also, I enjoyed the music in those vids. It made me wanna shuffle.

First Vid:
1:16 - yea fair spike attempt!

3:16 - Haha, 3rd fair. That made me smile haha.

I don't know what to say about this first vid. I didn't see any blatant bad habits. I just saw the mayhem that Snake dittos are.

Second Vid:

0:44 - Whew, talk about knowing attack ranges. You sho' know the hitbox of C4..

1:17 - I would've recovered higher and use cypher right after the jump. It's not like D3 was chasing you off the edge. He has time to react when you recovered low. Even if you made it to the ledge, it would still be a disadvantageous position.

1:30 + 1:40 - I'm not sure why you full hop naired. It wasn't autocancelled, so there's lag that the D3 should've capitalized on.

2:03 - this makes more sense to nair when D3 is at the ledge, so at least you can push him off to prevent a punish.

2:08 - nice haha. He tried to inhale you and sucked in your utilt instead.

the end - nice C4 kill

It's interesting the way you handled this MU. I personally camp a lot more. The D3 I used to play would space his bairs, grabs, and ftilt. If I dacus at him, he could consistently grab me out of it and would have a near perfect or perfect CG me to the edge. Well, it worked against this opponent though.

0:36 - I think you may have been able to space it just right so you wouldn't get hit by that fsmash, but MKs range is longer than it seems... so I'm probably wrong haha.

0:59 - you could've footstooled the nado instead of trying to airdodge through it. Bair or uair could've hit through it too, since it's the direct top of the nado.

In general, be careful when you pull your nades. That MK should've been capitalizing on that more. Pull nade to close and you'll get grabbed. It seemed like you spaced less and dacus a lot in this vid. I dunno what to say, Mk is just tough. I see more missed opportunities to punish from Mk than from you. Towards the end, Mk would nado when he could've took the stock with a dsmash or even a utilt. I don't see any blatant habits. Keep in mind though, I'm not that great in the MK MU though. Etecoon wrecked my Snake. He showed me to be careful when plucking nades, cause Mk's fast enough in the ground to punish it.
Yeah I noticed recently how useful b-reversing is and am trying to incorporate it to my Snake. o-o With that sd, I look back on that and have no clue on how that happened, because I wasn't to worried about b-reversin even though i'm aware that I very well should be. I also noticed a habit of Robs is that they never see the gyro coming when it's used against them. Also for teching i'm gonna make that dueling map thing or what ever it's called and practice it there. I'm also trying to get myself in the the habit of doing a dacus when I think to roll. I seem to have a bad habit of panicking when i'm on a platform and someone is under me which lead to alot of robs u-smashes on me T_T. Mr. Eric made those videos and got me addicted to Basshunter a bit because of the music. ^_^

EDIT: Also a rather big contributer to my rolling was that I hadn't played brawl in 3 weeks. o-o My friends also gave me the bad habit of wanting to fight Rob in the air which Mr. Eric showed me was stupid. ^_^

False

Smash Lord
NNID
Falsified
Tommy you hide in shield unnecessarily and excessively.. it was at risk of breaking the last half of the first game. But you didn't let it happen so good ****.

Loved the rpg and fair shenanigans. Good nairs and uair pressure.

Your dacus gets predictable..

2nd game I loved that footstool intentional or not.. you seem to light up the c4 for no reason sometimes

Good Snake overall

TommyDerMeister

Smash Lord
Thanks for responding.

I've noticed I've been hiding in-shield a bit more lately too, not sure what brought it on though. Something I'll have to keep in mind.

I'll have to watch my dacus' too, it's something that I need to work on using more carefully.

I love my C4's, but maybe too much. I think I'll have to look at the hitbox for C4 again, I probably detonate it so often thinking I'll get the hit, but that obviously doesn't happen. I also need to work on my High Reaction.

I'm glad you think my Snake is at least, good.

I'm working on recording some of my vs:olimar: and more vs:metaknight: from this past weekend.
Hopefully I'll get them up soon.

False

Smash Lord
NNID
Falsified
0:10 - Bair? Why? -_-
0:13 - Easy tech chase opportunity; learn to not throw out ftilt 2 if 1 doesn't connect
0:20 - learn to not throw out ftilt 2 if 1 doesn't connect
1:07 - you could've shield grabbed but just rolled
1:12 - I'm guessing that was a failed breversal
1:43 - you should've pivot grabbed
1:52 - snake should NEVER be standing still; you should never be without a grenade
2:10 - stop flinching and rolling.
2:42 - THAT SUCKS LOL
4:56 - you were on the platform.. you should've tech chased..
6:28 - I can see why you would try to b reverse but it wasn't the best idea
(I see you air dodge to momentum cancel too. I have the same habit)

I also picked up the habit of you rolling back everytime you strip a nade. Although it's a good idea there are other follow-ups you know!

You must be new to Snake. Hopefully you fix these bad habits!

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
@Kuro:

2:06 - DI fail

Your Snake is good; although I won't lie it's the basic cookie cutter Snake I see
Ya mainly cuz i quit maining snake so he's not much made of innovation. I main Pit/falco and just go snake if i dont know mu yet cuz he can still handle ppl w/o knowledge better. Lol i always mess up DI unless its tourney match. Sumfin about those make everything i do better lol.

Edit: but i could never completely drop snake. He'll always be a character i use in and out of tourney.<3

BooM TX

Smash Rookie
Here is my Snake playing a Dedede at "Oh Snap"

These games turned out to be really extremely campy, so it doesn't speak of my snake the way I like to play him.

The first thing I noticed when watching my own videos is that I should mix my game up more, but now the floor is yours, don't sugar coat it, please, tell me what I'm doing wrong and make it sting ;)

(Game 1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxv3YO7dS3o&feature=player_profilepage

(Game 2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=QFZitayoulw

(Game 3) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNyDD-LGn7M&feature=player_profilepage

Sucks that game 3 ended like that :(

OnlyUseMeNades

Smash Journeyman
Game 1

0:44 - Pivot Grab Opputunity
1:10 - Wavebounce a nade or C4. Just pulling a nade won't protect your bottom half
1:18 - Could have attempted a better edgeguard, mine or C4 by the ledge and keep throwing nades
3:38 - Cypher, why?
4:00 - I'm guessing that was supposed to be a nade

Overall, not too bad. Nade game needs some work, that's the biggest probelm you had as I see.

OnlyUseMeNades

Smash Journeyman
2:23 - Not the best MC move
3:40 - Lol at randon pause
3:58 - Could have teched or possibly pulled a nade and instant sheilded the mine
3:34 - Again the MC. Probably wouldn't have lived anyway though
5:00 - Oh... that's a terrible way to die... I usually don't follow Diddy offstage, because of that an his easy spike

Pretty good, the only other things were

-Random Fsmashes?
-Random Nairs
-You lost stage control a couple times. You have to have that against especially Diddy

OnlyUseMeNades

Smash Journeyman
First 20 seconds I had to watch so many times...

Loved it, so flashy and fast

Also like the platform drops with nades, although I'm not sure they helped more than hurt you

More tech chasing would have been good. And a few of the times you did tech chase, bananas interfered.

2:28: Wasted your double jump, probably wouldn't have died like that. Also, a Bair probably would have been a better choice

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Still want my Snake critiqued by more people..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKjFTKb-szc
like it. Reminds me alot of how i use to play. Gonna start working on fixing my snakes playstyle though. Patience is great this transferred over from my other mains. Now im gonna work on "controlled chaos with a purpose" stratagem and mix it with patience/campy.

only thing i noticed is you blew your self up alot cuz of all the flash :laugh: nice snake false.

etecoon

Smash Hero
watched game 1 really quick, cleaning atm

I see you try to uair him when he's landing and you get chain grabbed for the landing lag, you can auto cancel that by doing it faster(claw the controller or use your trigger jump, you use R for jump anyway don't you?)

he gets stuck in his shield out of grab range and you roll away afraid of the grab, WALK a step or two back if you're uncomfortable but DDD's other options to exit his shield are all garbage and it's a strong position for you to be in

you throw grenades too fast sometimes, if you just throw one nade after another DDD can get his waddle dees in on you more when you're pulling it and they can also block grenades causing them to bounce back into your zone

False

Smash Lord
NNID
Falsified
Some poor choices in general for first game.

Remember: insta double jump nair auto cancels, and fullhop uair and bair autocancel. (hold jump (x or y) while you do the aerial)

Also like ete said space d3 out when he's hiding in his shield. d3's shield is pretty weak so if you're feeling confident go for a god damn dance.

Top Bottom