• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official "Should/Will Metaknight be banned?" Thread (LISTEN TO THE SBR PODCAST!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
No it really is not a win:lose ratio. 6:4 litterally means slight advantage/soft counter. It does not mean 60% win ratio.

Why do we use numbers? For no other reason than quick notation and a quick and easy way to compare matchups.

in your idea theres absolutely no reason to use the numbers at all except to make the idea simple for dumb people
this is the reasoning that have for not agreeing with our match consensus...
if i am to play a Mk that knows how to play against my character 10 times in a row, I may, MAY pull out 1 win, thats why i believe the match is 9-1 MK and thats the reason we use numbers like that to begin with, no matter how many times sonic plays against Mk, the MK is expected to win 80-90% of the matches, hence a 8/9-2/1 match ranking...

and sorry to all the people i got mad at, tone doenst transfer very well through the inter net some times

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Dude, people started using numbers for matchups as early as SF2, and at that time, and still now, they meant how much matches out of ten you would win.

Not silly ''Well, it's a soft counter'' stuff. Grow up.
Emblem Lord said:
Numbers represent probability, but it also represents how much the scale tilts in the favor of one combatant over the other.

Once you hit 65/35, the character that's at disadvantage will rarely win.
My bad. I only remembered the bolded part of his post.

Although in my defense, techincally your chances of winning a set are much lower than the matchup ratio, since you have to play multiple times and thus your disadvantage compounds upon itself.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Zomg sonic pwnz metakinghts all uz need to do is uz teh finalz smash.

Seriously though I've never seen a good sonic play and if I wanted to who would you sonic mains suggest.
me(goes by Goggles in my very few vids), Boxob, Mr. 3000, Puffball64(goes by espy in his vids), and X

kr3wman

Smash Master
My bad. I only remembered the bolded part of his post.

Although in my defense, techincally your chances of winning a set are much lower than the matchup ratio, since you have to play multiple times and thus your disadvantage compounds upon itself.
True. You have to remember, it's out of ten matches. It's not out of one, which may explain what happens sometimes when people compare matchups and stuff. I'm sorry if I sounded offensive tho.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Then you haven't fought good enough players with those characters.
Why are you saying "you haven't fought good enough players with those characters"? I'm not an MK main.

Regardless, the point is that after extensive testing, for all of the characters, your assertion was found to be dead wrong.

Again, check the little icon, I can easily reference you to the Marth discussion where we confirmed that Marth is outranged by MK and just can't control him on the ground. Do you think you know more about Marth then Emblem Lord?

Snake was a long-going fallacy of the Smash community, but that was because MK players were jumping into the ****. MK outranges Snake, he's got better rushdown, can harass Snake's recovery, etc. I was one of the earlier players to notice this (credit to EL for pointing it out), and if you check my backlog you can see me explaining it in depth on several occasions.

The others are similar cases, you simply don't understand how high-leveled matches develop. You might want to just read the character boards for explanations as to why their characters do not do well against MK.

Except the Fox boards, their new match-up thread is... poor, very poor.

Saying no to falco just shows You make no sense. He has a free 0-50 % on every single MK life. Only 50 % left to go then he is in kill range.
Pretty much because we had the exact same discussion on the topic of Marth v. Falco.

Sure he can do a reasonable amount on grab, but against a properly spaced MK, grabs are unreasonably tough, you can't expect a grab every game, let alone at the beginning of each stock (see the earlier wario vs. MK tangent, and the Ganondorf board's Wario discussion for same issue). Falco's grab range just isn't enough.

Sure it keeps him out of a certain spacing with Falco, but that spacing ISN'T GOOD FOR MK ANYWAY. Falco needs closer spacing to function effectively in this match-up because MK outranges him considerably. Not to mention his melee game is considerably worse.

All Falco's got over MK is the lasers (which is useful, but like in the Marth match-up, MK is too fast for it to hold him back, and he covers too much space to make it limit his approaches to anything disadvantageous) and the Shine (which is very punishable).

Sure, he's got the chaingrab and the range, but MK outclasses him by a great enough margin that it's just not enough.

Give me proof, something the community has done that demonstrates they'll just abandon a character because he's banned. I know this is difficult due to never having had one banned before, but I'd say the Item Standard Play thing is close -- even with the majority of tournaments having items banned, people took the time and effort to work through items and see what were fair. And the banned items can be re-evaluated as the situation changes. This shouldn't be happening if you're correct about banned aspects of the game never, ever being re-inspected. All you're doing without some evidence is stating your opinion that nobody will seriously play MK again if he's banned.
Items standard play is not at the highest levels of play. Sure they might eventually attract high-leveled players, but any results it has will not hold for the top levels of play.

Same for a banned character. This just reinforces my point. You'll have low-leveled players exploring this type of thing whereas the high-leveled players will merely ignor it.

I have the following facts:
People don't want Meta Knight banned.
People want to be allowed to main Meta Knight in a tournament.
If Meta Knight is banned, people will want him unbanned.

Taken all together, these indicate to me that people will test against him still. Even if they won't do it for checking up on him, it's likely that some will because he's going to provide them a hard matchup and that can be good practice. And once a TO decides maybe people have learned enough, there will likely be random tournies that had him banned allowing him in again for a while until they can see if they're right or not. It's started going that way for banning, what evidence do you have beyond your opinion that it won't go the other way for unbanning as well?
*sigh*

The issue has nothing to do with existence... it has to do with VOLUME AND QUALITY OF PLAYERS INVOLVED. This was my issue from the very beginning.

Neither of which will apply once MK is banned. Do you seriously think M2K will be playing MK seriously if he's banned?

I love smart people.
I prefer people with good arguments.

Probably from the truth. Sonic players live a fantasized existence.
Stop overgeneralizing. Scrub Sonic players do not accept he's a poor character. Most know and deal with his issues.

is it really THAT hard to unban him?
Yes, because as I pointed, figuring out when he's balanced and finding things that make him balanced are just about impossible.

I think a lot of people actually take issue with putting Garchomp in Uber in the first place. Taking a debatable ban by a notoriously draconian community as an example won't really prove the point against more libertarian elements of our community.
I would also like to point out that Garchomp isn't totally banned. He's just limited to a certain metagame enviroment. He sees play in ubers.

Eldiran

Smash Lord
I'm surprised this thread is still going on... but I'm more surprised that no one seems to have suggested hacking as an alternative to banning MK. I'd guess that with a much weaker down-smash and Up+B (i.e. removing Metaknight's main kill moves) MK would actually be near balanced. And I'd be willing to bet that ocarina codes that change the attack power of his moves are possible to make. Has anyone other than I considered hacking Metaknight to balance the game?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
set knockback throws?
D3 can kill anyone at 0 on that stage
and we dont hack the game to change the design, if ANYTHING we do it to take the random (tripping) out

infomon

Smash Scientist
I'm surprised this thread is still going on... but I'm more surprised that no one seems to have suggested hacking as an alternative to banning MK. I'd guess that with a much weaker down-smash and Up+B (i.e. removing Metaknight's main kill moves) MK would actually be near balanced. And I'd be willing to bet that ocarina codes that change the attack power of his moves are possible to make. Has anyone other than I considered hacking Metaknight to balance the game?
It's been brought up many times. The answer is a resounding no.

We're not going to require people to buy Twilight Princess, input a bunch of codes, to play somebody's hacked up version... think about all the debates about what codes to input, all the different ways to balance MK vs. the other characters.... and why stop there, why not disable tripping and add more hitstun and give Sonic some better moves and add some levels and in no time at all we're playing an entirely different game.

VulgarHandGestures

Smash Journeyman
^^So you're a Druid?

And yeah, I agree that we can't ban Metaknight yet, because we still don't know for sure how the characters fare against him. I mean come on, apparently MK shuts down G&W now? When did that start happening?

http://www.ocremix.org/remix/OCR01416/

Sonic music is topsteak tier.
i know this is late and offtopic, but i just had to laugh at sonic music being called good.

http://www.ocremix.org/remix/OCR01687/
http://www.ocremix.org/remix/OCR01723/

Eldiran

Smash Lord
It's been brought up many times. The answer is a resounding no.

We're not going to require people to buy Twilight Princess, input a bunch of codes, to play somebody's hacked up version... think about all the debates about what codes to input, all the different ways to balance MK vs. the other characters.... and why stop there, why not disable tripping and add more hitstun and give Sonic some better moves and add some levels and in no time at all we're playing an entirely different game.
Alright, well I'm glad to see it has at least been brought up. I've personally yet to see someone so much as mention it. And yes, I was wondering if there were any way for people to come to a consensus about how to modify him, but I suppose it would be optimistic to think so. While the removal of tripping wouldn't be much of a sore point for me, I suppose making any concessions for codes would have the Brawl-to-melee fans going rabid trying to make more.

Well, I can always dream. And hack in a balanced Metaknight to use in my living room.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
In terms of remixes, I think techno remixes are the best. And for music in general Sonic does have some badass music (thank you Crush 40).

Jaigoda

Smash Apprentice
@Brinboy, it will only hinder the metagame of MK himself and the matchups against MK. The other characters should go on as normal, and most likely get more attention since all the MK mainers have to settle to someone else. The only character I see that may become a problem is Marth (and possibly Lucario) simply because he only has one or two bad matchups (Dedede being one of them, who is very easily CP'd). But still, I think he'd be less dominant than a character that pretty much ***** half of the cast.

RP`

Smash Apprentice
yes because if you ban him, HOW will AT's or techniques develop on a banned character? if hes banned, he will be permanently banned, and that will hinder the metagame
And he is hindering the game right now, because everyone is going to MK and not discovering AT's for their previous mains/seconds. Let's see... AT's for one char that probably doesn't need them... or AT's for the 35 other characters?

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
yes because if you ban him, HOW will AT's or techniques develop on a banned character? if hes banned, he will be permanently banned, and that will hinder the metagame
Him not getting new AT's is not a reason to keep him banned. It only hinders MK's metagame no one else as well. I can't even see where you got off in this line of reasoning.

Hey everyone people have gotten AT's except the banned character we better make sure he stays banned because of this.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
can one of the many sonic mains in here post the video of the hacked (super)sonic?
i will use that video to disprove the theory in the quote above

brinboy789

Smash Champion
@Brinboy, it will only hinder the metagame of MK himself and the matchups against MK. The other characters should go on as normal, and most likely get more attention since all the MK mainers have to settle to someone else. The only character I see that may become a problem is Marth (and possibly Lucario) simply because he only has one or two bad matchups (Dedede being one of them, who is very easily CP'd). But still, I think he'd be less dominant than a character that pretty much ***** half of the cast.
And he is hindering the game right now, because everyone is going to MK and not discovering AT's for their previous mains/seconds. Let's see... AT's for one char that probably doesn't need them... or AT's for the 35 other characters?
Him not getting new AT's is not a reason to keep him banned. It only hinders MK's metagame no one else as well. I can't even see where you got off in this line of reasoning.

Hey everyone people have gotten AT's except the banned character we better make sure he stays banned because of this.
can one of the many sonic mains in here post the video of the hacked (super)sonic?
i will use that video to disprove the theory in the quote above
alright i take back the hindering metagame part. and @ RP, not everybody is using MK. get over it. i still think that if MK is banned, there is no way an AT or technique will be discovered. how are AT's generally discovered? by accidently happening. and since MK is banned, tehre will be no accidents, and there will be no AT. AKA, no unban

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
alright i take back the hindering metagame part. and @ RP, not everybody is using MK. get over it. i still think that if MK is banned, there is no way an AT or technique will be discovered. how are AT's generally discovered? by accidently happening. and since MK is banned, tehre will be no accidents, and there will be no AT. AKA, no unban
ok thats just stupid. MK being banned does not stop accidents from happening all over the world.

what you just said was once again banning MK = halting the Metagame completely. Very few AT's are vs character specific.

brinboy789

Smash Champion
ok thats just stupid. MK being banned does not stop accidents from happening all over the world.

what you just said was once again banning MK = halting the Metagame completely.
-sigh-. i said that if MK was banned, there is no way he could get unbanned because any possibility of finding out an AT or technique against him is null and void because hes BANNED. which means NOBODYS GONNA USE HIM. which means NO AT OR TECHNIQUE :( so that means lrn2read before calling things stupid. and...

did i say that if MK is banned, all accidents in the world will stop and the world will become peaceful? NO. i said that if MK is banned, there is no way an AT or technique against him will be fuond because AT's are generally found in ACCIDENTS, and those accidents wont happen because hes BANNED, and nobodys gonna use him

salaboB

Smash Champion
Edit: I hadn't read the end of the thread before I finished this post, but this applies to your argument about him never being unbanned too, brinboy.

Neither of which will apply once MK is banned. Do you seriously think M2K will be playing MK seriously if he's banned?
What part of my point made it sound like M2K would have to play MK to find out if an AT worked against him?

First, some random person of whatever skill level discovers an AT for a character that lets them break the normal spacings. It gets used at a few tournaments, and someone from the boards notices and posts about it. This provides that character a method of hitting people harder and from farther away than they could before. Someone tries it out against thier friends' Meta Knight, and the Meta Knight can't break through it. They post on the boards about this result. Better players test it, find it still works. Now the top level players might take a look at it, to see if this could be used to argue for unbanning their character.

So, what part of this chain falls apart? What do I have wrong, that this AT wouldn't be discovered and eventually applied to MK if he's banned? The AT would be found. The AT would eventually catch the boards' attention (And if it wouldn't, it wouldn't whether MK is banned or not) The AT would get tested against MK by some random board members, and found successful -- this is because people will not just forget MK. Then, if it is found successful, the higher players will check it out because there will be rumblings about unbanning MK because he finally has a counter.

Explain the flaw in my reasoning please, because you're insisting it has one.
I'm saying there's no way to prove exactly how good Meta Knight actually is compared to the rest of the cast because the rest of the cast has so little support, and the way things are going it can conceivably only get worse from here. It's disheartening, to say the least, but it does mean that Meta Knight cannot be banned just yet.
If it can only conceivably get worse...and we can't tell how good he is because nobody's playing as the characters that might be able to stand against him...but it's only going to get worse...why does it mean he can't be banned yet?

Do we need to see it become all MK dittos before we take away even more time invested by people playing him when he gets banned?

brinboy789

Smash Champion
What part of my point made it sound like M2K would have to play MK to find out if an AT worked against him?

First, some random person of whatever skill level discovers an AT for a character that lets them break the normal spacings. It gets used at a few tournaments, and someone from the boards notices and posts about it. This provides that character a method of hitting people harder and from farther away than they could before. Someone tries it out against thier friends' Meta Knight, and the Meta Knight can't break through it. They post on the boards about this result. Better players test it, find it still works. Now the top level players might take a look at it, to see if this could be used to argue for unbanning their character.

So, what part of this chain falls apart? What do I have wrong, that this AT wouldn't be discovered and eventually applied to MK if he's banned? The AT would be found. The AT would eventually catch the boards' attention (And if it wouldn't, it wouldn't whether MK is banned or not) The AT would get tested against MK by some random board members, and found successful -- this is because people will not just forget MK. Then, if it is found successful, the higher players will check it out because there will be rumblings about unbanning MK because he finally has a counter.

If it can only conceivably get worse...and we can't tell how good he is because nobody's playing as the characters that might be able to stand against him...but it's only going to get worse...why does it mean he can't be banned yet?

Do we need to see it become all MK dittos before we take away even more time invested by people playing him when he gets banned?
the problem is...if MK is banned, that person wont be using him at tourneys or in general...

sorry for double post if it is

salaboB

Smash Champion
the problem is...if MK is banned, that person wont be using him at tourneys or in general...
Reread my example and tell me where I said MK would be used at a tourney.

Then explain to me why people bother testing ATs in friendlies against characters like Ganondorf who have no chance in tournaments. While you're at it, explain why you think everyone that actually wanted to main MK (Rather than just switching to him because they felt they had no choice) will just forget him and won't specifically check promising ATs against him to see if any of them are successful, so they can get him unbanned.

It doesn't have to be fast. It could take weeks to get through my described process. But I have been given no reasoning for why it won't work out that way. The only significant variation I can think of is that people skip the "Used at tournaments" step and someone finds it and puts it straight up on the boards. That simply jumps over the first step.

brinboy789

Smash Champion
Edit: I hadn't read the end of the thread before I finished this post, but this applies to your argument about him never being unbanned too, brinboy.

Reread my example and tell me where I said MK would be used at a tourney.

Then explain to me why people bother testing ATs in friendlies against characters like Ganondorf who have no chance in tournaments. While you're at it, explain why you think everyone that actually wanted to main MK (Rather than just switching to him because they felt they had no choice) will just forget him and won't specifically check promising ATs against him to see if any of them are successful, so they can get him unbanned.

It doesn't have to be fast. It could take weeks to get through my described process. But I have been given no reasoning for why it won't work out that way. The only significant variation I can think of is that people skip the "Used at tournaments" step and someone finds it and puts it straight up on the boards. That simply jumps over the first step.
bolded italiced and underlined. and if its a competitive player, he wont use MK. if its a casual player, he wont go to tourneys, or if he does MK is banned >.<

salaboB

Smash Champion
bolded italiced and underlined. and if its a competitive player, he wont use MK. if its a casual player, he wont go to tourneys, or if he does MK is banned >.<
The bold and italicized bit is referring to someone using a character other than MK against another character other than MK. This is about an AT being discovered that improves one character significantly and then is tested after the tournament, by people at smashboards, and found to work against MK and can thus lead to unbanning him. It is most certainly not about discovering a new MK AT.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
he said the person would find an AT for a character, and than apply it to MK he didnt say the AT would be found by using Mk at a tourney

FuLLBLeeD

Smash Journeyman
90% of the smash community = lolz
Hey guys lets argue about a game that was NOT DESIGNED FOR COMPETITION IN THE FIRST PLACE.

I can't wait to see the MLG uber console gamer pro squad at the whatever tournament finals match and watch the spectacular final match between two Metaknights where one guy wins because the other guy trips.

BALANCED GAMEPLAY **** YEAH!

brinboy789

Smash Champion
The bold and italicized bit is referring to someone using a character other than MK against another character other than MK. This is about an AT being discovered that improves one character significantly and then is tested after the tournament, by people at smashboards, and found to work against MK and can thus lead to unbanning him. It is most certainly not about discovering a new MK AT.
he said the person would find an AT for a character, and than apply it to MK he didnt say the AT would be found by using Mk at a tourney
ooooh ma bad. but still, how will that help against MK? unless everybody can use it except for him >.< or it doesnt benefit him in anyway...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom