• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official "Should/Will Metaknight be banned?" Thread (LISTEN TO THE SBR PODCAST!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Meta Knight is not one dimensional at all. He's probably the least one dimensional character in the game.
Then obviously we're using one-dimensional differently.

He is a pretty simplistic character, it's not like he's got moves with really complex properties to exploit, he merely has good range and priority, with an insane recovery, few weaknesses, etc.

He's a character that is good at the fundamentals of the game, but he's really not complex.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Then obviously we're using one-dimensional differently.

He is a pretty simplistic character, it's not like he's got moves with really complex properties to exploit, he merely has good range and priority, with an insane recovery, few weaknesses, etc.

He's a character that is good at the fundamentals of the game, but he's really not complex.
I'm pretty sure he's disagreeing with you just as I am.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
there's so many ways he can approach. Running grab/dashattack changeups, spaced fairs, fair to up b, glide attack spam, tornado spam, unpunishable dair spam, running at them, spotdodging, downsmash... I'm not an MK main, but when i tool around with him i'm like "wow, only 3 of the 30 inputs available to me now are incorrect"

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
there's so many ways he can approach. Running grab/dashattack changeups, spaced fairs, fair to up b, glide attack spam, tornado spam, unpunishable dair spam, running at them, spotdodging, downsmash... I'm not an MK main, but when i tool around with him i'm like "wow, only 3 of the 30 inputs available to me now are incorrect"
Lack of incorrect inputs isn't what I mean by multi-dimensional. It's more a lack of abilities with specialized control purposes, and instead everything is always a good option.

Basically, he controls everything, just by existing (hyperbole I know, but you get my meaning).

salaboB

Smash Champion
Lack of incorrect inputs isn't what I mean by multi-dimensional. It's more a lack of abilities with specialized control purposes, and instead everything is always a good option.
Everything is a good option == incredible depth, he has a huge variety of ways to chain together his moves and mindgame his opponents.

Limited options is shallow, whether it takes a lot of ability to master each option or not.

fkacyan

Smash Hero

Basically, he controls everything, just by existing (hyperbole I know, but you get my meaning).
Glide attack at Snake.

Don't worry, it's a good option all of the time!

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Everything is a good option == incredible depth, he has a huge variety of ways to chain together his moves and mindgame his opponents.

Limited options is shallow, whether it takes a lot of ability to master each option or not.
What I mean is if everything does essentially the same thing, then what's the point? I mean obviously there are differences, but they serve fundamentally the same purpose.

Moves that serve fundamentally different purposes, and moves that can be finely controlled to achieved different purposes have more depth imo.

It's seems we're just arguing over what it means to have depth.

Glide attack at Snake.

Don't worry, it's a good option all of the time!
Individual match-ups can be different in that regard. Snake for example, forces MK do a lot of things most match-ups do not require.

Master Raven

Smash Master
Ok, I tried the Uair while DIing thing today and it doesn't really help much, if at all. Am I doing it wrong?

infomon

Smash Scientist
Ok, I tried the Uair while DIing thing today and it doesn't really help much, if at all. Am I doing it wrong?
Erm, technically, it's not "while DI'ing". You SDI in hitlag, DI when your hitlag changes to hitstun, then use a fastfalled Uair as early as possible during hitstun. Afterwards, using a Jump or Special might help depending on your situation, or it might kill you lol. Iunno what strategy is best for MK; it's character-dependent.

Just fyi's.

Edit: And yeah, this doesn't help much, but with all of these recovering-strategies combined, as Sonic I survive a lot of stuff that would normally kill.

XienZo

Smash Lord
^I think that was sarcasm, only DK can punish better than Snake with a footstool to Sakurai combo.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
MK definitely wins on that lol. You might think it does if you dtilt just after MK dtilted because MK leans forward, but MK can definitely poke Snake with that without fear of being outspaced.

Master Raven

Smash Master
Erm, technically, it's not "while DI'ing". You SDI in hitlag, DI when your hitlag changes to hitstun, then use a fastfalled Uair as early as possible during hitstun. Afterwards, using a Jump or Special might help depending on your situation, or it might kill you lol. Iunno what strategy is best for MK; it's character-dependent.

Just fyi's.

Edit: And yeah, this doesn't help much, but with all of these recovering-strategies combined, as Sonic I survive a lot of stuff that would normally kill.
lol I see. I'll mess around with it more then later today when I have some time.

Tenki

Smash Hero

-Nana-

Smash Journeyman
MK definitely wins on that lol. You might think it does if you dtilt just after MK dtilted because MK leans forward, but MK can definitely poke Snake with that without fear of being outspaced.
Hmm...this is a weird situation. I have to go test it out myself.

Mooch

Smash Cadet
Since it keeps coming up, here's my little vid on the topic: [link]
tho I feel really dumb for constantly linking ppl to my own vid lol.... but it might help.
Thanks for the video. Definitely helped me. I've been air dodging to stop my momentum, and it also explains why using down b with kirby does not help lol.

Allied

Smash Master
I'm pretty sure more of the majority of the competitve scene won't ban him
however i have seen that some small local tournaments even some weeklys and bi-weeklys have started to ban metaknight which is unjust but whatever
id like to see more thought process go behind this ban and at least a couple of more months before more and more tournaments start throwing the ban hammer =(

i also wish captiain stupid was high tier ^_^

3mbl3m l0rd

Smash Rookie
Look, guys, I know some of you are MK mains, but SSBB will go downhill if this continues. Soon everyone will just main MK. Brawl won't be fun anymore. It'll just be about who has the better MK. So some of you have brought up SSBM Fox. Fox wasn't TOTALLY broken like MK. I tell you it's frustrating! My friend who mains MK and plays about once a month almost beat my Marth which I play on 2-3 times every week! Then when he switched to Ike and Link I easily beat him. IMO it's frustrating to put so much time and effort into your character, and then getting beaten by MK. Melee was so much more balanced. Fox, Sheik, Marth, and Falco. *Sigh* But we have SSBB now and I can't sit back and watch MK take over. I've even considered maining MK. I'm tired of playing Marth and over and over losing to MK. I cast my vote for MK banned.

Gindler

Smash Champion
Look, guys, I know some of you are MK mains, but SSBB will go downhill if this continues. Soon everyone will just main MK. Brawl won't be fun anymore. It'll just be about who has the better MK. So some of you have brought up SSBM Fox. Fox wasn't TOTALLY broken like MK. I tell you it's frustrating! My friend who mains MK and plays about once a month almost beat my Marth which I play on 2-3 times every week! Then when he switched to Ike and Link I easily beat him. IMO it's frustrating to put so much time and effort into your character, and then getting beaten by MK. Melee was so much more balanced. Fox, Sheik, Marth, and Falco. *Sigh* But we have SSBB now and I can't sit back and watch MK take over. I've even considered maining MK. I'm tired of playing Marth and over and over losing to MK. I cast my vote for MK banned.
I will never main MK. Your argument is hereby voided :chuckle:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom