• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official "Should/Will Metaknight be banned?" Thread (LISTEN TO THE SBR PODCAST!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Mk has some match ups that he can be at a disadvantage in. Learn those characters or keep whining. There's nothing wrong with maining MK, he's a fun character with a really solid moveset. People dont play him because he's the best, they play him because they love the **** that makes him the best.

supersupersuperguy

Smash Rookie
MK banned? It's gotta happen to some extent. How severe, however, is something I don't entirely care about. Maybe make him a character you can only Counter-Pick?

XxBlackxX

Smash Ace
I say, if MK loses any match in a set, it should be a match loss for MK.
obviously it would......................
do you mean set loss? because that's just stupid. MK isn't so horribly broken that we need to do stuff like that. it should be either: 1. he doesn't over-centralize the game, nor breaks it, so he doesn't need to be banned. or 2. he over-centralizes the game and/or breaks the game, so he should be banned. anything in the "middle ground" (like soft bans, temporary bans, handicaps, etc.) are really bad options.

anyways, seems it looks like MK isn't too broken, looks like he doesn't need to be banned. no need to do silly stuff like that.

why did this thread come back anyway?

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
No, because choknater said the only weakness is the playstyle -- that means that he holds the advantage character versus character, so you must read your opponent's playstyle, adapt to it, and not have him adapt back to yours.

It translates to you must be the better player to beat MK.
Oh, so then.. it's how it should be?

And if Meta Knight was banned, does anyone think that Brawl's competitive popularity would raise, if even just a little?

Greenpoe

Smash Ace
Oh, so then.. it's how it should be?

And if Meta Knight was banned, does anyone think that Brawl's competitive popularity would raise, if even just a little?
Many of the people who quit Brawl quit because of MK. Banning MK will not only slow the rate of people quitting Brawl, but increase the population by attracting older players who are excited by the lack of Sir Broken.

camzaman

Smash Journeyman
I see what you're saying ShadowLink, but appealing to more players is a valid goal.

1 - Statistically, the more players you have, the more competition and top level players you'll get.

2 - Parity is something employed to increase relative competitiveness - look at the professional sports. There are not really dynasties anymore, but it's still just as exciting, because fans of more teams think their team has a chance. Measures like salary caps, etc. are taken to even the playing field.

Similarly, when Pro-Ban people argue that more viable characters in the tourney scene is better, they are arguing that parity will grow and diversify the community more than it would otherwise be.

I understand your point of view, just don't dismiss Pro-Ban as being anti-competitive, because it's not. To many people, it's more competitive, and more interesting.

rehab

Smash Journeyman
We'd be punishing MK for being a good character. We'd be ignoring the options we have against him. We'd be wimping out.

rehab

Smash Journeyman
Characters don't get banned for being good and easy to exploit. Dedede is never going to be banned.

I don't suppose you use Falcon against MK regularly in serious play?

rehab

Smash Journeyman
It did, it got into a lot of questions about whether MK is beatable on a high level and whether there's any point in maining anybody else, whether MK is counterpickable at all and maybe deeper stuff than that.

But I don't see anything like that being brought up by JP, lol. I see "Ban cheap."

TKD

Smash Lord
MK's neutral with Wario and Snake, who he may end up losing to when people start playing at top level, Falco's probably even with him too, as may also be Kirby and G&W. If a couple of them aren't actually even vs MK, it's still winnable for them anyway.

You haven't played enough fighting games if you think MK actually breaks the game.

Also, lower-level players still don't make it far in high level tournaments, even if they play MK. Falco is the most broken character in my opinion, because of his ease of use, and how he makes a lot of characters almost pointless to play against him.

Palpi

Smash Hero
If you truly want to win and make some money, play metaknight and snake. combined there is almost no bad or even match-ups if you counter-pick correctly. Metaknight being allowed ruins most counter-picking oppurtunities, but because of his immense popularity and success in tournaments, I do think styles of play will be developed to eventually more match ups closer.

Yes, I think metaknight dumb. ^_^

No on ban.

Tianxiazhai

Smash Journeyman
Meta Knight should be allowed, BUT. This is just an idea.
Turn The B button to A.
Thats right. Meta Knight with no specials.
His glide is already a good enough recovery.
Try THAT.

thanortinzak

Smash Apprentice
...but because of his immense popularity and success in tournaments
This may be the reason why MK is top tier. MK's metagame has been developed further than those of low tiers. I'm not saying "tires don't exist":laugh: or anything stupid like that. but I have a feeling they are quite messed up and not yet "matured". MK's immense popularity is perhaps the greatest factor in why he always wins: he has developed a advanced metagame.

So what is my solution? Don't ban Meta-Knight! That isn't the problem. What we should do is encourage the use of different characters, so they can develop a more advanced metagame.

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
^ Yes, but he may not be quite as better as we all think.

I don't think Metaknight should be banned, there are characters that at least stand a chance against him, am I correct?

If he cannot completely wipe the floor with competition easily (which I beileve he cannot), then he shouldn't be banned.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Anyone who thinks MK is cheap is an idiot. He has no unwinnable (is that even a word?) match ups, that's never happened in the history of a fighting games and been allowed OH WAIT HOLY **** IT HAS I GUESS THOSE GUYS ARE JUST ********. >___>

***** more about it instead of picking a character who isn't **** against him, that's productive.

Anyone who thinks he should be cp only is an idiot. Really, why cp as MK when he doesn't really have too many uber **** match ups like DDD and what not. MK is good because he's safe against practically everyone, he doesn't have an infinite cg and he doesn't live for ****ing forever like G&W, and he doesn't have any moves that are so good no matter what you do you cant win. He is not better than every other character in every match up, he simply has no bad match ups.

(You could argue 6:4 Snake's favor but I'm not gonna get into that)

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
i am against banning MK because it feels awesome to own lower skilled players who try to counterpick MK against you, and you still kick their sorry *****!

isnt that alone worth it?

you cant just pick up MK and **** with him, you have to know what to do and when to do it.

Garquille14

Smash Apprentice
Competitive play would be more lucrative without MK. Considering this game is going to be played until [if] the next SSB comes out, I would assume having as much of a lucrative tournament scene as possible would be valued greatly.

We're already going to great lengths, refusing to let go of SSB, to keep this game competitive. This game should not be played competitively, but we're just holding on. The amount of things that subtract from the competitive whole almost make it laughable. Banning MK is a way to help this, but this won't solve the asphyxiating problems that plague this game.

Bob Jane T-Mart

Smash Ace
Many of the people who quit Brawl quit because of MK. Banning MK will not only slow the rate of people quitting Brawl, but increase the population by attracting older players who are excited by the lack of Sir Broken.
He is not sir Broken, Meta Knight is only Top tier because he has no bad match ups and quite a few fairly good ones. The best for Meta Knight is like 70:30 Meta Knight's way, and quite a few of his match ups that are almost equal.. He may be good, and the best, but he is not really that much better than Snake. If he was broken he would be so much better than he is now. If he was broken it would be impossible to beat him and he would have won every single tourney he ever entered.

Also how would you know why Smashers quit Brawl. Banning Meta Knight would make many very good Meta Knight players leave the game, because they will be shocked and appalled that Meta Knight is banned. I'm sure many people who are Meta Knight mainers will quit competitive Brawl if he is banned.

I'm sure the only reason Meta Knight will be banned, is that a huge tide of n00bs say that they can't win against a better Meta Knight because he is higher on the tier list.

You also might notice that the tier list can change, what happens if Meta Knight is not really the best character in Brawl. We would ban him for nothing.

NOW REMEMBER "IF IT ISN'T BROKEN DON'T FIX IT" DON'T BAN META KNIGHT

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
MK = Garchomp?

olololo Pokemon. But really, is he gonna move from "OU" (legal) to "Uber" (banned) anytime soon?
There's a major difference between being moved to Uber and being banned, uber is simply a seperate metagame, whereas banned would make MK completely unusable.

Garchomp is completely legal, just not in the OU division.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Can anyone name someone who quit because of MK? Much less 5 people? Or say, a few hundred, which would be a number that might actually impact the community.

Note: Overswarm said he would quit in January if MK was not banned. Its January, he is still playing.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
My best friend quit because of MK. Most of the Alabama smash scene quit Brawl because of MK. (tripping and Brawl's slow speed helped solidify their decision)

Not that Alabama's smash scene is really big anyways though...

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Can anyone name someone who quit because of MK? Much less 5 people? Or say, a few hundred, which would be a number that might actually impact the community.

Note: Overswarm said he would quit in January if MK was not banned. Its January, he is still playing.
^This

Trozz, I think he might more along the lines people who the competitive scene actually care about. You know, if like top players or at the least pretty good players were quitting because MK domination was just so huge, then that argument would actually make sense.

I'll say it again, anyone who actually thinks banning MK will bring around some kind of noticeable positive change is dumb **** ********. The top players will switch to a different char, most likely Snake since he's close to MK in terms of safeness, and nothing will freaking change. Same players winning just as well and just as easily as they were before.

Nothing will change, get your heads out of fantasy land and realize this.

Delta_0

Smash Cadet
There's a major difference between being moved to Uber and being banned, uber is simply a seperate metagame, whereas banned would make MK completely unusable.

Garchomp is completely legal, just not in the OU division.
I know. But there are others in the Uber tier for Garchomp to compete with; not the case with MK. Hence the "banned" part. He'd be Uber, in a sense, and that tier wouldn't be developed to the point where HE wouldn't have anyone to compete with. Hence his SS placement; there's no competition when facing MK, it's AT BEST a 50/50 match-up.

DeactoVater

Smash Cadet
I Think what Delta is trying to say is competitive play could just fall apart by his existance as a playable character. what we have seen in the recent tier update he shot up and will most likely continue to.

There really is no reason not to play him.
Even if it is competive play aren't video games supposed to be fun and based on skill as of who should win.
He destroys both concepts.

being that this thread exist he should ban lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom