• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official "Should/Will Metaknight be banned?" Thread (LISTEN TO THE SBR PODCAST!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DraKmoN001

Smash Apprentice
I suppose they would be the one to get credit but then that would mean that who ever is used in the finals gets no credit at all even though the one that was used to get there clearly could not make it past that round.
Probably. I mean if I could use character A well against characters in the later rounds, but would probably not get that far if I used character A to begin with, why would character A be getting points for tournament viability?

http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=FiARsQSlzDc

Marshie

Smash Apprentice
Pity there isnt a maskless costume, that would be pretty cool, How many "big" tournaments have been won by a meta player?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
thats not the ONLY reason,
theres also
X
-Blue-
mr. 3000
noR4u
among others

not to mention the fact that anther needs to play a character that can compete with marth...

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
Probably. I mean if I could use character A well against characters in the later rounds, but would probably not get that far if I used character A to begin with, why would character A be getting points for tournament viability?
I don't really see why you would be able to use character A in the semi finals and above but have to rely on B to get to it. I do see it happening and a lot that you can use character B in earlier rounds then have to rely on A to advance in the later ones.

I believe that matches towards the end of a bracket count more. It just makes sense for them to do so because higher skilled players are going to be up there. There is the possibility of a tournament not having skilled people until the later rounds. Be it because the finals are just at a completely other level or because of bad seeding it can happen.

DraKmoN001

Smash Apprentice
I don't really see why you would be able to use character A in the semi finals and above but have to rely on B to get to it. I do see it happening and a lot that you can use character B in earlier rounds then have to rely on A to advance in the later ones.
*shrug* It's an interesting phenomenon to be sure, but I think in that case character A would still be somewhat less viable than B.

I believe that matches towards the end of a bracket count more. It just makes sense for them to do so because higher skilled players are going to be up there. There is the possibility of a tournament not having skilled people until the later rounds. Be it because the finals are just at a completely other level or because of bad seeding it can happen.
Well... as I understand Ankoku's list doesn't go into that much detail. His list does deal with players using their "mains", which I assume would be characters that they basically played for a majority of the matches to get to where they placed, so there's little to no character juggling involved.

Second, it may be more inevitable for one to face the most skilled players in latter ends of a bracket than the former, but that doesn't mean one won't be facing skilled players early on (likely due to seeding as you stated), nor does that necessarily make former games less influential. After all, if you're knocked out early, that's it! You don't progress to the latter ends of a bracket anyway. I think being not-as-usable early on speaks a lot about the tournament viability of a character (particularly against players of wider ranges of "skill" early on).

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
i straight up handle marth with sonic.

marth gets handled by sonic, nobody believes me, but than again i like having that feeling of surprise

Atomsk_92

Smash Hero
i handled marths with ddd but it apparently wasn't bad???
same with falcos XD???? THATS EVEN WORSE XDDDDDD

Inui

Banned via Warnings
i straight up handle marth with sonic.

marth gets handled by sonic, nobody believes me, but than again i like having that feeling of surprise
I 2-0'd Blue's Sonic on the same day in two seperate MMs, twostocking him in one game each set.

All three of the vs Sonic MMs occured because people were saying my Marth sucks LOL.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
ill 5$ MM your marth if i ever see you in person...

itll be fun, i know marth doesnt suck, but the match is alot better than everybody seems to think, ask anther...
lol he knows what the deal is

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Pit is pushed out a bunch by MK. I've seen results that MK wasn't involved in, and Pit places high/wins. Like one australian tournament.

MK is just a better version of Pit, in everything except projectiles. Pit's disjointed everything doesn't reach as far as MK's disjointed everything, even though pit's good stuff. I think arrows just bounce off the tornado too, dont they?

Inui

Banned via Warnings
so what do you think the match is?
60/40 Marth.

MK is just a better version of Pit, in everything except projectiles. Pit's disjointed everything doesn't reach as far as MK's disjointed everything, even though pit's good stuff. I think arrows just bounce off the tornado too, dont they
Pit's u-air beats all of MK's moves and he can d-air the tornado from the top and beat it with a charged arrow.

I played my Pit vs M2K's MK in tourny multiple times in both singles and teams and it's not that bad. I also played MK vs Forward's Pit and Rogue Pit and they did fine. I don't think it's as bad as people say.

Tien2500

Smash Lord
60/40 Marth.

Pit's u-air beats all of MK's moves and he can d-air the tornado from the top and beat it with a charged arrow.

I played my Pit vs M2K's MK in tourny multiple times in both singles and teams and it's not that bad. I also played MK vs Forward's Pit and Rogue Pit and they did fine. I don't think it's as bad as people say.
I could swear I've hit MK out of a tornado with an arrow... but maybe its my imagination. But how often can Pit really utilize Uair against MK? I don't think MK should be above him that often. And with the dair vs tornado this seems like it would only work if MK was careless with the tornado. Also MK has a much easier time KOing Pit. I think its kind of a bad match for Pit.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Yeah, a charged arrow will hit MK out of the tornado, but a normal one won't.

I abused u-air a lot against M2K in teams in order to take matches off of him and Velocity and Atomsk and I should have won the set but I got 9'd at nearly 0% by Velocity and lost even when I had a huge lead in the end.

Pit can DI out of the tornado easily, so I don't like using it against him. I only use it to poke him out of ledgecamping and interrupt some moves and then run away.

It's a bad match for Pit, but not that bad. It's probably 60/40 MK. You can gimp MK with that gay shield. It's actually a good idea to use the shield to gimp MK because almost every MK will recovery with the drill and it even reverses the shuttle loop. Rogue Pit made a thread about this match-up, IIRC.

Tien2500

Smash Lord
I've actually done the shield thing. Its fun but the problem is its only going to work against bad MKs and against them only once unless they're slow learners. I'd probably say the match is closer to 65-35 but 60-40 isn't unreasonably. Is Rouge Pit's topic in the Pit forums?

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
point is, is that one character was used significantly less, but both characters still deserve the points
I don't agree as it's a random usage in the tournament. It doesn't matter if it was with intent to win or not, rather how much. If you used DDD in more than one/two matches in a set or used him in multiple sets he should get credit, but not as much as your main that got you that far.

and Sonic's ranked 18th?! wtf

St. Viers

Smash Champion
Guys, If you use a char a counterpick in the GF, it obviously has an impact over whether you win or lose. That has nothing to do though with how the toon performed throughout the tourney, only the player. So if points are for character performance, it seems to follow that the CP char doesn't deserve points, because there wasn't a large enough sample to show how he did.

Although that seems logical, people forget that if the points are given out by how well the toon does, that your main then should only get points for coming in second-->because of the need to CP, your main doesn't necessarily deserve the amount of points he would received. from getting first. So yeah, obviously your use of the other character DID make a difference, ad should be noted somehow--perhaps not with equal points, but rather difference between points for if you had placed second and placed first?

Hype

Smash Lord
As Bush's last act of presidency he will be invading Smashboards. He claims we are possessing Weapons of Smash Destruction. MetaKnights.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Yeah, a charged arrow will hit MK out of the tornado, but a normal one won't.

I abused u-air a lot against M2K in teams in order to take matches off of him and Velocity and Atomsk and I should have won the set but I got 9'd at nearly 0% by Velocity and lost even when I had a huge lead in the end.

Pit can DI out of the tornado easily, so I don't like using it against him. I only use it to poke him out of ledgecamping and interrupt some moves and then run away.

It's a bad match for Pit, but not that bad. It's probably 60/40 MK. You can gimp MK with that gay shield. It's actually a good idea to use the shield to gimp MK because almost every MK will recovery with the drill and it even reverses the shuttle loop. Rogue Pit made a thread about this match-up, IIRC.
i think this falls under the "lack of matchup knowledge counters everybody" category because if the MK understands what the pit is going to do, than he can counter it rather easily...

I don't agree as it's a random usage in the tournament. It doesn't matter if it was with intent to win or not, rather how much. If you used DDD in more than one/two matches in a set or used him in multiple sets he should get credit, but not as much as your main that got you that far.

and Sonic's ranked 18th?! wtf
thats how amzing us sonic players are, cus hes a trash character, check my sig, we have to be amazing to counteract how bad the character is
Guys, If you use a char a counterpick in the GF, it obviously has an impact over whether you win or lose. That has nothing to do though with how the toon performed throughout the tourney, only the player. So if points are for character performance, it seems to follow that the CP char doesn't deserve points, because there wasn't a large enough sample to show how he did.

Although that seems logical, people forget that if the points are given out by how well the toon does, that your main then should only get points for coming in second-->because of the need to CP, your main doesn't necessarily deserve the amount of points he would received. from getting first. So yeah, obviously your use of the other character DID make a difference, ad should be noted somehow--perhaps not with equal points, but rather difference between points for if you had placed second and placed first?
if that were the case, Mk would probably have more 1st place points than he does now... it would also make the point system highly convoluted and complecated

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Silence, nub. Go back to FEP. :p
Technically you've been trying to stay on topic while defending yourself, which in itself isn't spamming.

Now the people who want to keep those flames alive, no, they are beyond facepalms.

Anyways, MK has a lil under double the amount of wins Snake has. Everyone else has a ridiculously low number under him. Now, if we were to ban MK, what would stop Snake from getting those numbers. I mean, half this arguments consist of people saying MK wins too much, so would we have to ban Snake too? He isn't exactly an unsafe character by any means, and every time match ups that aren't in his favor are brought up, people argue about it, just like MK.

:/

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
I believe Emblem Lord said something along the lines of this.

In melee.
Marth was a broken character,
but he had exploitable weaknesses.
This is called good character design.

In Brawl
MetaKnight is NOT broken.
Yet he has no weaknesses.
This is called, bad character design.

This is the same thing with Testament and Eddie i GGXXAC. They are extremely good characters (seriously hve you not seen a pro Eddie? They **** hard), but they have exploitable weaknesses that the other characters can exploit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom