• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official "Should/Will Metaknight be banned?" Thread (LISTEN TO THE SBR PODCAST!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexX

Smash Ace
Imo, SWF banned MvB prematurely, just like they're about to ban MK prematurely. Let's not turn into Smogon, ffs.
What's with people constantly ripping on the pokemon fandom for stuff that isn't true?

I swear, people are too easily willing to accept stuff they've heard from a friend, who got that information from another friend, who got it from some other friend that lives in the house that Jack built as if it were cold, hard fact.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
you sir...fail. DK is mediocre speed. he has ridiculous knockback on almost all of his moves. he would probably have advantage over MK if not for the tornado.
ganon sux. no point explaining
jiggs sux.
bowser is just TOO slow. HRCers use bat instead of FCFS cause fsmash got nerfed

10fails
DK kills tornado...

The issue is at max ftilt range, MK (and Marth) basically have their way with him.

Shut up!! warios chain grab does not work against MK!! stop saying that!!!
also, no pivot grabs can stop airials that are high enough
DK gets tornado *****, its NOT an even match!! stop saying that!!!
snake is teh closest thing to a neutral and thats only if the MK is too aggressive and walks into the grenade camping and tilts

lol at dojo ****** bwett
Gah, could you PLEASE just post your responses regularly, it's so annoying to do this.

It probably does, it's probably just useless due to the range.

Yoshi's pivot grab hits high enough that if MK is above that, he can't hit.

Tornado is the least of DK's worries, every move he has knocks MK out of it. He's just VERY punishable in this match-up, which screws him over.

Master Raven

Smash Master
Don't most of DK's attacks only cancel out grounded tornadoes? Most MKs almost always go for an aerial one, in which case the only reliable attacks to cancel it with are giant punch and Ftilt, and even then Ftilt is tricky because it doesn't always work, at least from my experience. I have to time it just right to hit it.

I have no say on the matchup though because as far as I'm concerned I don't think we've reached an official conclusion on it yet (granted, I suppose matchups will always be debateable, but there seems to be a lot of debate over the DK/MK matchup). Oh well, even if MK may have the advantage, 40/60 for MK doesn't intimidate me (if that's how it ends up.) I want to learn the matchup real well with DK just to see how far I can go to swatting MKs with him.

KID and brinboy seem to go hand in hand with each-other btw.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Meh, does MK really need a ban. I don't particularly care for the character, but... wouldn't that create angst between the boards vs the MK boards? I don't think MK should be banned, he hasn't reached the point where he is THAT game breaking.

MK for Brawl president 2008.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
adumbrodeus, tell my youropinion, please. I asked Yuna and he said, if the Metagame / the MK doinance doesn't get worse he shouldn't be banned. Do you think the same? Let's assume it's Jan '09 and we'd have to decide, whether he must be banned or not. The Metagame hasn't changed though. Would you ban him or not?

Julz

Smash Apprentice
@gheb 01: I think he has answered that actually.
I think you misunderstood me there actually.

I was saying that you thought that if MK did not change at all in relation to the rest of the cast between now and when the metagame is mature, then he does not deserve a ban.

I believe your words were, "he is approaching the point".

I think that MK has hit that point, barely, but since he's boarderline the metagame has to be mature before a ban is at all reasonable.

Again, I've really gotta see, because without knowing the game I can't know if it balances the metagame in any appreciable way.

How large is the cast btw, depending on the size it might be totally justified, boarderline, or totally unjustified (again, considering how much it would balance the metagame into the equation).

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
ok,... this is amazing....

first HOBO 12 banned mk
than lousiana banned him
than i heard about 4 tourneys in dallas banning him
and now... ROCHESTER
my next biweekly which is today.
MY TO JUST BANNED METAKNIGHT
OOOOO HAPPY DAYYYYY
OOOO HAPPYYY DAYYYY!!!

so from where i can tell TOs are taking the responsibility onto themselves and are not waiting for the SBR to make a concrete decision
more power to everyone that takes it into their own power to do what is right

PKNintendo

Smash Master
From Dojo at the MK boards

RIGHT NOW. It's revolving around him RIGHT NOW.

Any theories about the entire metagame revolving around MK dittos only in the future are obsolete. Not the other matchups.

Nobody knows for sure what's going to happen, so people need to stop throwing all that bull out there and stay patient.

The reason mk's are at the top...
The TOP of the TOP players use them.

-M2K could still go D3 and **** any other MK around. I promise you. Why? He's ****ing M2K.

-Azen's Lucario outdoes any other MK around minus M2K. Why? Not because M2K is playing MK, but because he's the BEST around. Always has been.

-Now you still see a guy like Chudat competing very strongly with the TOP MK's. WITH KIRBY.

-DSF who plays Snake. Does very strong against all MK's minus M2K. Why? Because he's ****ing M2K. I promise you he can outdo 98% of all the MK's there are.

Now let's go to a little less professional level. Let's go to a strong competitive level.

You see players like Lee, Stiltz and myself using MK. We're top players at our level.
But we can still be beaten.

-RoyR a MARTH took me out at HOBO 11. DMG a WARIO takes me to some amazingly close sets.
-Stiltz has been beaten by players like Sethlon and Roy as well. Falcos and Marths.
- Lee Martin although I'm not quite to sure about who's beaten IS beatable at our level. I guarantee you RoyR would give him a run for his money.

People learn the matchup very well folks and they utilize it to the very best of their abilities.

At a lower level of competitive play.

The reason MK stays at the top of this is because these people don't know how to fight this matchup. MK IS in fact the best player in this game. He's not hard to pick up and can get you into this competitive scene. And that makes it hard for the other players at this level to compete. Thus MK's stay up top of this part of play.

It's understandable that MK is the best character in this game. But guys he can be beaten. It's been done already by plenty of people. It's been proven and it will continue to be proven time and time again. It's difficult as hell to win this matchup. But instead of whining and continuously trying to get him banned, better yourself as a player and improve your playing ability.

This game is a competitive game. The common goal should be to better yourself to overcome all obstacles. No matter how difficult they may be. I understand it's unfair to work much harder to do that. So for that I g

Bwett

Smash Ace
I don't recall Bwett fighting you though.... at least he never mention it...

Or I didn't hear it...
O I got *****, no doubt about it.

Dojo- However, this was the first time i played you in tourney and was crazy surprised how much more aggressive you are in tournament mode. Next time, I will be prepared!

Btw, although you did **** me in tourney, I have vids of owning you in friendlies. So which do you think will spread faster? You beating up a poor, defenseless yoshi in tourney with no proof...or a Yoshi 2 stocking the best MK in Texas twice with video beauty? MWHAHAHAH!!!!

(Don't worry, I'll get the one where you 2 stock me back on there as well :p <3 Dojo)

Dojo

Smash Champion
Lol I already said you kicked my *** the night before. :)

I wasn't in beast mode. And your the best Yoshi in Texas who "Counters MK"
So I don't wanna hear it. :)

BILLLLYYYYYYYYYY WEETTTTTTTTTTT

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
ok,... this is amazing....

first HOBO 12 banned mk
than lousiana banned him
than i heard about 4 tourneys in dallas banning him
and now... ROCHESTER
my next biweekly which is today.
MY TO JUST BANNED METAKNIGHT
OOOOO HAPPY DAYYYYY
OOOO HAPPYYY DAYYYY!!!

so from where i can tell TOs are taking the responsibility onto themselves and are not waiting for the SBR to make a concrete decision
more power to everyone that takes it into their own power to do what is right
Though I do not support the ban... I can see how a tournament without MK can be very enjoyable.

Wow, I think I really see now what everyone's getting at.

Oh well, that still doesn't change the fact that there is no reason to ban him just because he's good. Maybe everyone wants to ban him because Brawl would be funner? Wow. I think I get it now.

rehab

Smash Journeyman
ITP more of the same:

Metaknight is the best character in the game.

This game is one which happens to be more dependant on character choice than many others. Matchup advantages mean more.

Objectively there's no reason to pick any other character.

People who are good manage to defy logic and use OTHER CHARACTERS to beat good people using Metaknight REGARDLESS.

Banning isn't necessary.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
chok, do you see now, unlike yuna, i believe that im in the majority when i say that video games, even when played for money, the express purpose is for it to be fun. And once you take that away, the game is meaningless, and is the same as that dead end 6X6 cubicle job that nobody wants

and i know hes going to accuse me of lying again but its a fact that yuna in so many words said
fun is for scrubs.
and i cant agree to someone who uses logic like that

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
NM banned him too. Starting Nov 1st. We have one player who mains MK here and that is me. ://///// So, they were like give him a month to find a new main :(

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
thats really cool of them lol
like i said before, my last tourney 3 of the top 3 and 5 of the top8 people played MK and he made the decision on the day of the tourney lol

TheWii

Smash Journeyman
If I had to choose right now if MK should be banned or not then I would say yes because he making unpopular charachters even more unpopular and stopping those charachters metagame but if I wasnt forced I would say no because I dont think its the time to ban him yet because the game have only been out for like half a year and we have not discovered everything in the game yet and somethings might make MetaKnight not so hard anymore so I say wait like 3-4 months before you all make your choice because right know Meta Knight can be beaten but it takes alot more skill and knowing your opponent (and yours charachters weaknesses)and 70 % of the time you must be more skilled than your opponent (lol i shouldnt have wrote that).

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
chok, do you see now, unlike yuna, i believe that im in the majority when i say that video games, even when played for money, the express purpose is for it to be fun. And once you take that away, the game is meaningless, and is the same as that dead end 6X6 cubicle job that nobody wants

and i know hes going to accuse me of lying again but its a fact that yuna in so many words said
fun is for scrubs.
and i cant agree to someone who uses logic like that
What Yuna says does have logical basis though. In my opinion, Yuna is correct. However, now thanks to these posts, I really understand why people want to ban MK, and it's reasonable to a point.

Really, that's probably all it comes down to. If people want to ban MK, ban him. If it's for the sake of funner competition, then so be it. IMO, it IS sort of a scrub thing to do... but hey, it's fun, right?

MK doesn't deserve a ban for being too good or being advantageous on every character. He is the best character, yes, but he can be beaten because he has even matchups. He doesn't deserve a ban at all. But if people ban him so the competition is more enjoyable, so be it.

IMO, MLG, MD/VA, and Cali will never ban Metaknight because at the highest levels, it's really about competition.

brinboy789

Smash Champion
From Dojo at the MK boards

Any theories about the entire metagame revolving around MK dittos only in the future are obsolete. Not the other matchups.

Nobody knows for sure what's going to happen, so people need to stop throwing all that bull out there and stay patient.

-M2K could still go D3 and **** any other MK around. I promise you. Why? He's ****ing M2K.

-Azen's Lucario outdoes any other MK around minus M2K. Why? Not because M2K is playing MK, but because he's the BEST around. Always has been.

-Now you still see a guy like Chudat competing very strongly with the TOP MK's. WITH KIRBY.

-DSF who plays Snake. Does very strong against all MK's minus M2K. Why? Because he's ****ing M2K. I promise you he can outdo 98% of all the MK's there are.

Now let's go to a little less professional level. Let's go to a strong competitive level.

You see players like Lee, Stiltz and myself using MK. We're top players at our level.

-RoyR a MARTH took me out at HOBO 11. DMG a WARIO takes me to some amazingly close sets.
-Stiltz has been beaten by players like Sethlon and Roy as well. Falcos and Marths.
- Lee Martin although I'm not quite to sure about who's beaten IS beatable at our level. I guarantee you RoyR would give him a run for his money.

People learn the matchup very well folks and they utilize it to the very best of their abilities.

The reason MK stays at the top of this is because these people don't know how to fight this matchup. MK IS in fact the best player in this game. He's not hard to pick up and can get you into this competitive scene. And that makes it hard for the other players at this level to compete. Thus MK's stay up top of this part of play.

It's understandable that MK is the best character in this game. But guys he can be beaten. It's been done already by plenty of people. It's been proven and it will continue to be proven time and time again. It's difficult as hell to win this matchup. But instead of whining and continuously trying to get him banned, better yourself as a player and improve your playing ability.

This game is a competitive game. The common goal should be to better yourself to overcome all obstacles. No matter how difficult they may be. I understand it's unfair to work much harder to do that. So for that I g
lol i love how everybody ignores this and pretends its not there. i posted this too a couple of pages ago.

edit:
What Yuna says does have logical basis though. In my opinion, Yuna is correct. However, now thanks to these posts, I really understand why people want to ban MK, and it's reasonable to a point.

Really, that's probably all it comes down to. If people want to ban MK, ban him. If it's for the sake of funner competition, then so be it. IMO, it IS sort of a scrub thing to do... but hey, it's fun, right?

MK doesn't deserve a ban for being too good or being advantageous on every character. He is the best character, yes, but he can be beaten because he has even matchups. He doesn't deserve a ban at all. But if people ban him so the competition is more enjoyable, so be it.

IMO, MLG, MD/VA, and Cali will never ban Metaknight because at the highest levels, it's really about competition.

this means that

people who play for "fun", AKA casual playerse ban MK.
top notch players dont. and in this thread were talking about HIGH levels of play...read samuraipandas first post

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero

dispite the fact that i disagree with you i can see where you are coming from. and i hate to nitpick but you said that he is always advantageous, and that he has even matches in the same paragraph

but i guess we can agree to have differing view points on the matter. we have nothign to do but wait and see how the future plays out. unless your a TO,in that case

YOU HAVE THE POWAHHHHHHHH!
please....
do whats right.
Ban meta...

brinboy789

Smash Champion
dispite the fact that i disagree with you i can see where you are coming from. and i hate to nitpick but you said that he is always advantageous, and that he has even matches in the same paragraph

but i guess we can agree to have differing view points on the matter. we have nothign to do but wait and see how the future plays out. unless your a TO,in that case

YOU HAVE THE POWAHHHHHHHH!
please....
do whats right.
Ban meta...
i reread choknaters post and it didnt say that MK has disadvantageous matchups. oh and, look @ dojos magnificent post.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Ah, da K.I.D. and I have come to an agreement. This day is beautiful.

I also agree with this statement:

TO's, do the right thing.

brinboy789

Smash Champion
Dojo:

This game is a competitive game. The common goal should be to better yourself to overcome all obstacles. No matter how difficult they may be.

i love how EVERYbody is saying omg lets ban him while the all blatantly ignore this.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master

This is a problem for me and Gofg, because that will keep Brawl alive longer.

lol jk, I used to be against the MK ban, but now, I'm getting tired of this ****. I'd think Snake may be the next best thing, but he doesn't exactly shine with outstanding gheyness. MK is better than characters who are good and take more skill, such as Falco, Marth, IMO Snake, which makes using those characters pointless. Why would someone want to play as Falco when MK has better matchups, and is easier to use? Now if the top were Snake, you couldn't just pick him up and feel quite so secure, since he does have harder match ups.

brinboy789

Smash Champion
Dojo:

"RIGHT NOW. It's revolving around him RIGHT NOW.

This game is a competitive game. The common goal should be to better yourself to overcome all obstacles. No matter how difficult they may be."

i love how EVERYbody is saying omg lets ban him while the all blatantly ignore this.

posted on new page so all newcomers can see.

King~

Smash Champion
Dojo:

"RIGHT NOW. It's revolving around him RIGHT NOW.

This game is a competitive game. The common goal should be to better yourself to overcome all obstacles. No matter how difficult they may be."

posted on new page so all newcomers can see.
i dont believe anyone can refute this, without personal opinons and feelings getting involved.

so their just not gonna respond, and you keep posting it isnt going to do anything but get you some points for spam.

plus it wouldnt kill the debate since both sides stand so strong in their beliefs

BentoBox

Smash Master
brinboy, you're annoying as hell. You just quoted the same post twice in less than 10 minutes. Get a mind of your own and stop acting like a friggin tool.

Master Raven

Smash Master

... So the simple notion of Brawl tournies being more fun without MK was all it took to sway you to support banning MK? o_O

brinboy789

Smash Champion
brinboy, you're annoying as hell. You just quoted the same post twice in less than 10 minutes. Get a mind of your own and stop acting like a friggin tool.
no **** i did. duh. because everybodys ignoring it. and all those MK-banners are going "yea lets ban him. yup. yea." when the freakin post thats refuting them is right in thier face.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Wait, you're posting that expecting.... what?

That you're going to get 15 pages' worth of people posting "yes I agree with that?"

The post stands alone without needing someone to spam it over and over. You're not even the person who wrote it. Get over yourself.

BentoBox

Smash Master
It's funny how you get cocky because others can manage to do what you can't (******-free posts). When they'll be in need of a spokesperson, I'm sure they'll let you know. ;]

brinboy789

Smash Champion
Wait, you're posting that expecting.... what?

That you're going to get 15 pages' worth of people posting "yes I agree with that?"

The post stands alone without needing someone to spam it over and over. You're not even the person who wrote it. Get over yourself.
im expecting someone to prove dojo wrong, or they can stop complaining. no, not 15 pages. 1 post is just fine. and i postedit twice because the first time i did, everybody ignored it and just went on with thier ranting about how he should be banned when the thing thats stopping him from being banned is right in thier face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom