• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official SBR-B Brawl Tier List v3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
If we're talking at the highest level and potential (within the current metagame) and assuming the player is playign to win, Pit is not just above Peach but possibly A tier and very high A tier at that. There aren't many characters with a good answer to his arrow spamming, and there's no reason he can't do it for 7 minutes straight if he wants.
Wait, if you are tellin me his arrow spamm would make him godly, then he fails badly. Answer to his arrow spamm. Walk/run, shield, and repeat till you get close.

Once you get close to pit, its all about what you can react with and what he can do you. pretty much who executes the next move with can go ether way. You have any idea how many campy pits I beaten? from noobs to good players. Pit is better off fighting me than camping me if he wants to win. His spam is seriously overratted. He may get at some characters with the spamming, But with peach, heck no. And using common sense, its not hard to get close to a camping bit and beat his azz for it.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Wait, if you are tellin me his arrow spamm would make him godly, then he fails badly. Answer to his arrow spamm. Walk/run, shield, and repeat till you get close.

Once you get close to pit, its all about what you can react with and what he can do you. pretty much without executes the next move with can go ether way. You have any idea how many campy pits I beaten? from noobs to good players. Pit is better off fighting me than camping me if he wants to win. His spam is seriously overratted. He may get at some characters with the spamming, But with peach, heck no. And using common sense, its not hard to get close to a camping bit and beat his azz for it.
I didn't say Peach was a bad character, first of all. In many ways I agree with you. I'm just trying to point out an alternate perspective. There's too much conservative number crunching on these forums and too many people living in imaginary "everything is played perfectly" land.

There's no question Pit's arrows are possible to close in on. However I invite you to watch a few Masashi matches (best Pit in the world, second best player in Japan) in which good, high level, Ally and Azen-quality players get literally arrowed to death for most of the match, and when they close in, they find that Pit isn't exactly bad in melee range, either.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
I didn't say Peach was a bad character, first of all. In many ways I agree with you. I'm just trying to point out an alternate perspective. There's too much conservative number crunching on these forums and too many people living in imaginary "everything is played perfectly" land.

There's no question Pit's arrows are possible to close in on. However I invite you to watch a few Masashi matches (best Pit in the world, second best Pit in Japan) in which good, high level, Ally and Azen-quality players get literally arrowed to death for most of the match, and when they close in, they find that Pit isn't exactly bad in melee range, either.
Never though you said Peach was bad. I just brought her up cause I main her so if I was to use a character for this, why not my main eh?

I'm just saying Pits arrow spamm is not all that to be a ranked and all. if so Pit would be beasting in tournaments and not having to switch to a high tier to counterpick with.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Never though you said Peach was bad. I just brought her up cause I main her so if I was to use a character for this, why not my main eh?

I'm just saying Pits arrow spamm is not all that to be a ranked and all. if so Pit would be beasting in tournaments and not having to switch to a high tier to counterpick with.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyzO26e8rEA Masashi beasts.

Peach should be higher, but there are better characters to compare her to than Pit. Pit is solid, but we don't have any good Pit players in America right now. (There are a few, but they aren't going to tourneys as far as I know.)

If you want to fight that battle, I'd be asking about ROB, Toon Link, DK, and maybe even Kirby, but Pit's a losing battle IMO.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyzO26e8rEA Masashi beasts.

Peach should be higher, but there are better characters to compare her to than Pit. Pit is solid, but we don't have any good Pit players in America right now. (There are a few, but they aren't going to tourneys as far as I know.)

If you want to fight that battle, I'd be asking about ROB, Toon Link, DK, and maybe even Kirby, but Pit's a losing battle IMO.
To be honest, I was More impressed with the Wario player than the pit. Also seemed towards the end with the arrow spam, the Wario was just fooling around not going to him. And with that lead for Pit and the Spamming, wario still brought it back and nearly won the fight. I'd Play that pit without a care in the world, spamming or not. I dont see this as something stopping me from winning.

To be honest, I was More impressed with the Wario player than the pit. Also seemed towards the end with the arrow spam, the Wario was just fooling around not going to him. And with that lead for Pit and the Spamming, wario still brought it back and nearly won the fight. I'd Play that pit without a care in the world, spamming or not. I dont see this as something stopping me from winning.
And as we all know, one person does not revolutionize the gameplay of a single character, more or less a single moment in time.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
And as we all know, one person does not revolutionize the gameplay of a single character, more or less a single moment in time.
It's not a moment in time. Masashi wins. A lot. Consistently.

And, why not? Snakeee for all intents and purposes revolutionized Zero Suit Samus and proved her to be tourney viable. I wasn't around for the melee days, but I heard that Ken "revolutionized" Marth. Why can't a single player revolutionize a character?

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Wasn't the reason Lucario was up there back then and was high ranked because of azen?

And the Same for Snakeee with ZSS

And NL with diddy?

It's not a moment in time. Masashi wins. A lot. Consistently.

And, why not? Snakeee for all intents and purposes revolutionized Zero Suit Samus and proved her to be tourney viable. I wasn't around for the melee days, but I heard that Ken "revolutionized" Marth. Why can't a single player revolutionize a character?
My mine point for the post was to play advocate of both sides. Saying that Masashi might have played a particular way one time, but proves it many times over. Like saying that I 3 stocked you this one time even though they might get 2 stocked 12/13 times themselves.

And I don't really think a person can really revolutionize a character because it's extremely difficult for a single person to find all the techs and uses for a single person on their own. It involves many people, taking others ideas and methods and applying it to yourself. But in truth I can see a person leading the way for a characters development in a way now that you mentioned Ken. I had forgotten about that.

People like Azen, NL and Ken I believe probably did the same thing. They learned from the people around them first, applied the ideas they had as well (skill included) and that was the nudge needed to get characters going. But it still involved the grassroots of others before hand.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
That Pit vs Wario vid...

My eyes hurt. It's from April... of 08.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I'm surprised it didn't burn your eyes from the lack of Gay, DMG.

In other news, no, revolutionizing a character is a team effort, although one-person does influence it, it cannot be done alone.

Tec0+9

Smash Apprentice
I know you're kidding, but honestly, I think only Dedede is Donkey Kong's really horrible matchup, while Peach has what? 3 or 4, I think.
No. Donkey Kong has a huge advantage over Dedede. Just ask Atomsk. He knows how terrible that matchup is. You guys just over rate the chaingrab.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
Yes, but as I already said, as far as I know, Dedede is pretty much Donkey Kong's only really really bad matchup, while Peach has 3 or 4 horrible matchups.
I disagree. IMO, Peach doesn't have any horrible matchups, though she definitely has soem ones that are against her. Peach may have a tough time when it comes to Marth, Meta Knight, Mr. Game and Watch, and to a lesser extent Snake, but those matchups are somewhere along the lines of 40:60; the DDD vs DK matchup is more like 10:90. Don't say 'Don't get grabbed', because when you have a grab range like DDD, you're going to get grabbed somehow. Peach CAN potentially beat Marth, MK etc.; it's just that doing so is not always easy. Yet if a DK player goes up against even a decent DDD, he's screwed.

Tec0+9

Smash Apprentice
I disagree. IMO, Peach doesn't have any horrible matchups, though she definitely has soem ones that are against her. Peach may have a tough time when it comes to Marth, Meta Knight, Mr. Game and Watch, and to a lesser extent Snake, but those matchups are somewhere along the lines of 40:60; the DDD vs DK matchup is more like 10:90. Don't say 'Don't get grabbed', because when you have a grab range like DDD, you're going to get grabbed somehow. Peach CAN potentially beat Marth, MK etc.; it's just that doing so is not always easy. Yet if a DK player goes up against even a decent DDD, he's screwed.
Sir do you know how impossible it is to grab a GOOD DK. Not some random DK off the streets, but Bum level DK. Go ahead ask Atomsk what I am talking about. One move doesn't make a character God.

Frown

poekmon
Well, one grab on DK means at least 40% if you're on the right side of the stage and if you DO NOT use the infinite grab. And getting ONE grab with DDD is easy peasy.

Tec0+9

Smash Apprentice
Well, one grab on DK means at least 40% if you're on the right side of the stage and if you DO NOT use the infinite grab. And getting ONE grab with DDD is easy peasy.
Wow. Of course Bum won't play with infinite because it's stupid. Well sir how about we make a bet. One day if you play Bum (God knows that'll never happen) I'll strike you a deal. $50 if you grab him 3 times within one stock. $100 if you can grab him 4 times. Deal?

Nixernator

Smash Ace
Wow. Of course Bum won't play with infinite because it's stupid. Well sir how about we make a bet. One day if you play Bum (God knows that'll never happen) I'll strike you a deal. $50 if you grab him 3 times within one stock. $100 if you can grab him 4 times. Deal?
Any competent D3 would infinite him on the first grab dude.
Unless you mean without the infinite.

DK is not viable as long as D3 is on the scene fact, its sad but true.

Mr.E

Smash Lord
inc lost post yeah yeah

^ DK is still viable even considering Dedede's infinite. He's a decent character all-around and, theoretically, a non-D3 main will only play D3 as a counterpick. You would require a secondary for the opponent's counterpicks or D3 mains, yes, but you can still get away with playing DK almost all the time. Luckily, D3 is also easier to CP than anyone else in the upper tiers.

Wario is hard to play? Maybe he just comes natural to me but he seems pretty easy to pick up. His movement is very fluid and he can pretty much play the same against most any character.

As for you, PhantomX, my response is merely thus: "You have to remember that this grab release isn't a weakness only for us, but for our opponents as well." ...Are you ****ing serious? :embarrass That's like saying Falco's recovery is his opponent's weakness because they overpursued off-stage and put themselves in a position to be edgeguarded afterward. Please assume your opponent is competent before making such asinine statements, or at least acknowledge that such a situation is caused by player error and not character-based. I suppose the Dedede infinite on DK is a weakness for Dedede because he's mostly going to fish for grabs?

-------

RE: Peach -- Not all multihit moves are created equal. It's a lot harder to SDI out of Peach's DAir than it is "the turtle." Peach's DAir ends quick enough that one almost has to see it coming before it hits to SDI successfully through it. However, if you "saw it coming," you were probably already trying to avoid it and got caught off-guard if it does still land. By the time you can react to being hit, the move's already over. I suppose if one plays the match-up enough it would eventually get easier... but then how common is Peach?

Oh okay, looks like we moved into discussing Peach full-out with Dark.Pch here? Hey, lemme join in!

So... Why would you (Dark.Pch) think DK and Pit are above Peach? Is it really that difficult to compare some of their basic characteristics? DK has assloads of killing power, way out of Peach's league. He's got great range. He's more mobile, like everyone else. ;/ Looks like you already did that though and, of course, made sure to point out Peach's own advantages as well. There's also match-ups to consider. At any rate, you can't just compare two mid-tier characters like that and easily determine which character is superior overall. Quite simply, more people value DK's set of characteristics higher than Peach's. You're also extremely biased and a little overly compassionate when it comes to arguing your character. :/

As far as Pit is concerned, I think he's really underrated in general but his tourney rep is horrendous and he's not getting any hype (ala ZSS) to encourage new people to pick him up. He's probably the best projectile camper in the game behind Falco/Olimar, he's got tools for almost any situation (such as a Cape-like reflector!) and he doesn't have any "horrible" match-ups. I think TL is underrated too, but he was never mentioned. :p

Also, Peach is a mediocre character. Pokemon Trainer should be higher than Peach.

Also, on another note, I think that general mobility is necessary to be even a decent character in Singles. ...
I think if more people were willing, and had the patience, to play "gay" to stall and tire out PKMN TRNR's little monsters, he's the worst character in the game. Or perhaps not the worst but still near the bottom, more where he was in the first tier list revision. Squirtle would totally be upper-tier if you could play him standalone, though.

I copied your second statement into the quote blocks there because I wanted to point out that attack range is also an important consideration alongside mobility. Although I think he's still much higher than he deserves, Dedede is a rather good example of this. Nobody is a bigger, slower target than Dedede, yet he persists through the great range on pretty much all of his moves (including his grab). Ike is a good lower-tier example, especially if you compare him to, say, Ganondorf.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Dark Peach:

Bringing up an inherent weakness for a character, that isn't completely overcome, is not just a thing you can disregard...
A character such as Wario has to worry about... a grab... For most this means just a 20% damage or a kill at kill percentages. And the Wario's have fought hard to learn to not get grabbed... so to speak, by taking Wario to a higher level.
Whilst you can say that Peach has 'ways' around the bad air dodge, and you seemed to disregard it indefinitely, in my opinion, it's utterly worse than Wario's grab issue. It's the fact that she does have OPTIONS over it that means she isn't LOW TIER; Marth's weaknesses should make him low tier, but his innate qualities overcome this in MOST match ups. Marth still has counter, dolphin slash, fair and GOOD aerial mobility, qualities that help him overcome his weaknesses more COMPETITIVELY than Peach can.
Peach gets hit off an 'air dodge time to the ground' distance, and she will experience more damage, perhaps DEATH, than Wario or Marth would due to their weaknesses, because THEY have better options for their weaknesses, PLUS Peach's air dodge is a WORSE weakness than Marths and Warios.

When I looked at this tier list, I thought to myself, well, besides S tier/A tier, SBR's mid and lowish areas were pretty solid. I say B tier is mid. Donkey Kong would be a humongous menace in the game if it wasn't for Wario and Dedede hard countering him. Donkey Kong goes even or beats just about everyone who doesn't cg him to death.
Pit is a solid character, with weaknesses mostly being his QUALITIES not being exagerated like the Top Tiers. Good but not great range, good but not great recovery, good but not great ... well everything.

You mention match ups.
HINT!
Just about everyone who isn't low/bottom tier with some exceptions aren't really hard countered by anyone (as most boards like to claim... at least). They all have 50:50s some 40:60s, and EVEN some advantages on *BIG HINT* low/mid tier characters.
Donkey Kong already shows that those who don't 'gay' him, he actually WINS (plus he gays ness and lucas! YES!)
Pit, like Toon Link, have the over all stronger options as characters, even if their match up spread is ever so similar to Peach's, the difference comes from representation, innate qualities, and over all weaknesses. And when IT COMESE TO Pit and Toon Link, their weaknesses are mostly "we just don't have our good **** being excellent ****".
Peach has structural weaknesses that can be abused, that haven't been competitively over come (you can't argue this Dark Peach). If Peach were to be the "I don't really have weaknesses, I just don't have those great strengths" character as well (taking into account her combo ability and other things) she would be higher up, but you're playing at "possibilities".

I know I'm not SBR, but I tend to believe I have a general understanding of this game to a high enough point to debate it effectively.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
peach is very gimmicky right? But isn't what makes peach so good that she's so different from other characters so you have to play differenly to beat her?

I'm pretty sure there are some characters that, if they get your gimmicks, will just rawk you.

And, yes, that airdodge is horrid. Peach is one of the characters I actually hit with Din's if she tries to airdodge.

Tec0+9

Smash Apprentice
Any competent Dedede would infinite him on the first grab dude.
Unless you mean without the infinite.

DK is not viable as long as D3 is on the scene fact, its sad but true.
Here is what you don't understand. Not only does it go both ways, but it is more in DK's favor. The second Dedede is offstage he is dead. You guys apparently haven't adopted East Coast rules which is the most fair/balanced and sophisticated rule set for this game. Dedede can have his infinite, against a player like Bum, he would lose guaranteed. You guys have no clue what it means to play his DK. If anyone of you decide to come over here money match him and ask to have infinite chain grabs on and I'll put side bets on Bum. The truth of the matter is Dedede CAN NOT! kill DK while DK can edge guard to death him or kill him at 90-100 with F-smash, Full charged to 9 windup punch, or Up-smash. You're a fool if you say he can uptilt him because that move is garbage against smart player who can avoid it and his Bair is not safe enough to go unpunished. DK is the Zangief of the game. Once he's in you're done.

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
I don't understand how you can say DDD can't kill DK when he can just grab, downthrow forever, and then KO with Bthrow at 300%. One grab. From the character with arguably the best grab in the game.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
peach is very gimmicky right? But isn't what makes peach so good that she's so different from other characters so you have to play differenly to beat her?

I'm pretty sure there are some characters that, if they get your gimmicks, will just rawk you.

And, yes, that airdodge is horrid. Peach is one of the characters I actually hit with Din's if she tries to airdodge.
Well, the fact that you have to fight Peach differently (and the fact that quite a few people have little experience against Peaches in general) is definitely a plus, but even if the opponent knows what to expect, Peach is still a fairly solid fighter. Sure, she may not have truckloads of killing power like DK, or projectile reflectors like Pit, but she does have a number of great strengths. She has good combos ability, floating, turnips, mind games, and high priority. I wouldn't really call her gimmicky, save for maybe her FSmash.

And as much as I hate it, I have to agree that her airdodge is terrible. Why does she get 10 frames less invincibility than everyone else? Some people claim that they made a typo when they were programming it, which would make sense, because I don't get why they'd make such a horrible air dodge deliberately (as if she wasn't already easy enough to juggle).

Coffee™

I need it....
He may get at some characters with the spamming, But with peach, heck no. And using common sense, its not hard to get close to a camping bit and beat his azz for it.
Peach is one of the characters that doesn't do that well versus a Pit that is camping.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Here is what you don't understand. Not only does it go both ways, but it is more in DK's favor. The second Dedede is offstage he is dead. You guys apparently haven't adopted East Coast rules which is the most fair/balanced and sophisticated rule set for this game. Dedede can have his infinite, against a player like Bum, he would lose guaranteed. You guys have no clue what it means to play his DK. If anyone of you decide to come over here money match him and ask to have infinite chain grabs on and I'll put side bets on Bum. The truth of the matter is Dedede CAN NOT! kill DK while DK can edge guard to death him or kill him at 90-100 with F-smash, Full charged to 9 windup punch, or Up-smash. You're a fool if you say he can uptilt him because that move is garbage against smart player who can avoid it and his Bair is not safe enough to go unpunished. DK is the Zangief of the game. Once he's in you're done.
You're acting like the D3 has to let go and try to land a kill move. Bthrow BIATCH!

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Smart use of projectiles, really with my character.

And Snake is Not a Horrible match up for Peach.
Yea, Peach isn't a complete fail against "air campers" Reflex...
I argue otherwise.

I believe wholeheartedly that if I simply slip in a few quick aerials while simply avoiding Peach (air camping isn't really the best term to use here), Peach is almost useless, because she can't catch me due to the huge gap in horizontal aerial movement. Her projectile is generally bad, because of its terrible range and slow movement. Her bad jump allows me to simply jump over her if need be, and Squirtle has some silly rolling dodges.

I think if more people were willing, and had the patience, to play "gay" to stall and tire out PKMN TRNR's little monsters, he's the worst character in the game. Or perhaps not the worst but still near the bottom, more where he was in the first tier list revision. Squirtle would totally be upper-tier if you could play him standalone, though.
If you have the tools to outplay someone, it doesn't matter nearly as much how weak you are. Squirtle can stall and camp better than most characters once he has a decent percent lead.

Inaphyt

Smash Apprentice
Dark Peach:

Bringing up an inherent weakness for a character, that isn't completely overcome, is not just a thing you can disregard...
A character such as Wario has to worry about... a grab... For most this means just a 20% damage or a kill at kill percentages. And the Wario's have fought hard to learn to not get grabbed... so to speak, by taking Wario to a higher level.
Whilst you can say that Peach has 'ways' around the bad air dodge, and you seemed to disregard it indefinitely, in my opinion, it's utterly worse than Wario's grab issue. It's the fact that she does have OPTIONS over it that means she isn't LOW TIER; Marth's weaknesses should make him low tier, but his innate qualities overcome this in MOST match ups. Marth still has counter, dolphin slash, fair and GOOD aerial mobility, qualities that help him overcome his weaknesses more COMPETITIVELY than Peach can.
Peach gets hit off an 'air dodge time to the ground' distance, and she will experience more damage, perhaps DEATH, than Wario or Marth would due to their weaknesses, because THEY have better options for their weaknesses, PLUS Peach's air dodge is a WORSE weakness than Marths and Warios.

When I looked at this tier list, I thought to myself, well, besides S tier/A tier, SBR's mid and lowish areas were pretty solid. I say B tier is mid. Donkey Kong would be a humongous menace in the game if it wasn't for Wario and Dedede hard countering him. Donkey Kong goes even or beats just about everyone who doesn't cg him to death.
Pit is a solid character, with weaknesses mostly being his QUALITIES not being exagerated like the Top Tiers. Good but not great range, good but not great recovery, good but not great ... well everything.

You mention match ups.
HINT!
Just about everyone who isn't low/bottom tier with some exceptions aren't really hard countered by anyone (as most boards like to claim... at least). They all have 50:50s some 40:60s, and EVEN some advantages on *BIG HINT* low/mid tier characters.
Donkey Kong already shows that those who don't 'gay' him, he actually WINS (plus he gays ness and lucas! YES!)
Pit, like Toon Link, have the over all stronger options as characters, even if their match up spread is ever so similar to Peach's, the difference comes from representation, innate qualities, and over all weaknesses. And when IT COMESE TO Pit and Toon Link, their weaknesses are mostly "we just don't have our good **** being excellent ****".
Peach has structural weaknesses that can be abused, that haven't been competitively over come (you can't argue this Dark Peach). If Peach were to be the "I don't really have weaknesses, I just don't have those great strengths" character as well (taking into account her combo ability and other things) she would be higher up, but you're playing at "possibilities".

I know I'm not SBR, but I tend to believe I have a general understanding of this game to a high enough point to debate it effectively.
HAHAHAHAHAHA, are you wearing glasses and have a large moustache whilst spitting into a microphone.

Nanaki

Smash Lord
Not to take away from Bum's ability or anything - he's definitely an incredible player, but you're basing your entire argument on the idea that the DK is Bum and the DDD is trash. That type of argument doesn't come into play in a tier list discussion - you have to assume both players are of equal (and top) caliber.

You can't just say "DeDeDe can't kill DK while DK can edge guard to death or kill him at 90-100", you have to give a reason for it. Does DK really space D3 that well? Is he just that much faster? Personally, I don't see a lot in that matchup to back up DK completely destroying an equally competent D3 without any kind of retaliation. D3 zones extremely well too (who has the longer ftilt? I really don't know), and can put DK in positions he wants him in with waddledee spam. I also don't see how DK is any better at edgeguarding D3 than any other character - he's got some tools, but with that argument you could say the same thing about Mario or Sheik or...Sonic? An equally competent D3 will edgeguard DK just as well as DK edgeguards him, IMO.

Yes, Bum might beat some D3's and beat them badly once in awhile, but that doesn't mean the matchup is anywhere NEAR in DK's favor. I'm not trying to start a big flame war or anything, but I think you're pretty far off base here.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
inc lost post yeah yeah

Luckily, D3 is also easier to CP than anyone else in the upper tiers..
Dude, Snake can be brought to stages he hates like Rainbow Cruise and Norfair due his sluggish aerials.

LuVr

Smash Apprentice
This tier list is so different from what i remember before. It's interesting to see the huge changes with the top of the tier in particular, and the lowering of some characters like my main G&W. Interesting that as time progressed, snake and MK have been countered by characters like diddy, and that Kirby could retain a decent position as well. Thanks for the new list it helps clear up many questions I have brewed over the last 6 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom